Author Topic: Black Mesa  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Black Mesa
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »
Will it EVER get released?

Supposed to be 'end of 2009' then they said "It wasn't ready"

Now they've gone back to 'When it's done."

Which might be never :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Black Mesa
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:08 pm »
this is the HL1 remake with higher res textures?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:27:40 pm »
this is the HL1 remake with higher res textures?

Nah mate. That was already done by Valve - basically Half Life 1 with new textures, rag-doll physics and the odd update effect here or there.

It was because this was such a half-arsed effort that this team got involved to make a complete remake of the game, so that it would be as good (if not better than) as Half Life 2.

Check out the teaser video on here; http://blackmesasource.com/

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:29:11 pm »
First ever Vapourware mod?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »
They are getting shown up here, even Duke Nukem Forever is getting released soon! I thought this mod looked superb, I love the original half life, but I think it's just too big a job for a small team.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 08:49:38 pm »
Love Half-Life. In my opinion, one of the best, ever.

Slick is onto something here, afraid this is a monumental task.

Will continue to keep my eye on it tho, fingers crossed.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »
To be honest, as much as I'd love to play "Surface Tension" with snazzy graphics, I'd rather play Half Life 2: Episode 3. Is that ever coming out?!
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:25:28 pm »
To be honest, as much as I'd love to play "Surface Tension" with snazzy graphics, I'd rather play Half Life 2: Episode 3. Is that ever coming out?!

Surface tension.. I think that is one of the best levels on any game ever. Almost feel like installing it agian!

You're right though, i don't know what is going on with Ep3. I assume it's Valve being perfectionists, which is a good thing I suppose..

Offline Equilibrium

• Anny Roader
  • Only a select few achieve greatness...
« Reply #8 on: September 4, 2012, 02:45:31 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19463712  The wait is over sept 14th!
Vidal, Ronaldo, Neymar, Falcao, Veratti.

Mourinho, Klopp, Conte, Prandelli,Diego Simeone.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #9 on: September 4, 2012, 03:27:18 am »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 4, 2012, 10:14:02 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19463712  The wait is over sept 14th!

:shocked

They are getting shown up here, even Duke Nukem Forever is getting released soon! I thought this mod looked superb, I love the original half life, but I think it's just too big a job for a small team.

Cheerfully withdrawn

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 4, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »
Well, hellu there!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Black Mesa
« Reply #12 on: September 4, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »
So they're ending the game before you get to Xen? Good idea I reckon, really didn't like that section.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: September 4, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #14 on: September 4, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »
So they're ending the game before you get to Xen? Good idea I reckon, really didn't like that section.

Ye wasn't really a fan on that part of the game. It was cool though seeing dead scientists in the HE suits on the planet
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:09 am »
I'm playing it now.
It is wonderful ! Really fantastic !
This is the sort of game that started me playing games in the 1st place.
It's not quite the same as the original game, but the graphics make it so much better.
The team also made the NPC say more funny stuff, some dialogues are quite amusing.
They also made it a bit harder. The monster attacks are a little faster than in the original, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway, get this ! It might very well be the best thing you play this year !

Offline Equilibrium

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:37 am »
This is fucking awesomeeeeeeee! I started playing the series from half life 2 , so it's a brand new game to me but it's great!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:00 am »
Is this free?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 05:42:06 am »
Is this free?
Sort of.
You need Steam to play it, officially.
There are alternatives that offer the game without the need for Steam, a stand alone version.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:26 am »
I've got Steam but I don't have HL2 or any of my episodes installed on it anymore, just Portal 2.  Can I get Black Mesa to work?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 10:01:57 am »
I've got Steam but I don't have HL2 or any of my episodes installed on it anymore, just Portal 2.  Can I get Black Mesa to work?

You probably need Half Life 2. It's buttons nowdays.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 10:12:00 am »
This is great. I put it on hard thinking I'll be able to walk through the game but its actually pretty hard! The marines can kill you in seconds so I'm dying a lot. Might have to tone it back down to normal for certain parts as I'm getting smashed
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 10:24:44 am »
You probably need Half Life 2. It's buttons nowdays.

Nah you just need the source sdk base 2007 installed. In steam go to Library > Tools and find it on the list (it's free). No need for HL2.  :wave

Downloading this now, looking forward to it!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »
First chance to look at this tonight. Amazing stuff. Brilliant.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »
Nah you just need the source sdk base 2007 installed. In steam go to Library > Tools and find it on the list (it's free). No need for HL2.  :wave

Downloading this now, looking forward to it!

Fair enough. Half Life 2 is worth buying though.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 09:40:59 pm »
Certainly is, great game, although I have to say that I have always preferred HL1, the claustrophobic atmosphere is brilliant. 

Up to office complex on this at the moment. I think they have got the balance between it being recognisable as HL1 but adding new content perfect. Can't fault it at all so far, although I have heard that surface tension, which was my favourite level on the original, has been cut down in size....  :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:45:17 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »
Damn, managed to get a nice squad of Barneys to help me but have had to leave them behind, as they can't make the jump across the lift shaft.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 12:48:34 am »
Must check this out. How ironic that a mod gets made before Ep3 did. Sort it out, Valve.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »
Certainly is, great game, although I have to say that I have always preferred HL1, the claustrophobic atmosphere is brilliant. 

Up to office complex on this at the moment. I think they have got the balance between it being recognisable as HL1 but adding new content perfect. Can't fault it at all so far, although I have heard that surface tension, which was my favourite level on the original, has been cut down in size....  :-\

I like that - the way they have got the corridoors roughly the same (So you won't get lost) but have added loads of enterable rooms and put new stuff there. Spent the first ten minutes playing dumping loads of shit on the annoyed guards head and unlocked an achievement "Tinkerer" doing it. Also dropped a bog roll at the trap with the scientist sitting there and unlocked another achievement

:lmao

Some great humour!

Offline Equilibrium

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »
Great game can't believe It's free I'd pay for this the team deserve it. These guys should just do episode 3 as valve can't be arsed!!   :)

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 07:18:07 pm »
Excellent. Going to download it now

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:16 am »
Got it up and running.  Just enjoying the drains at the moment.   ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:04 am »
I like that you get the magnum earlier in this (instead of the shotgun). It always seemed under-utilized in HL1. After you got it in blast pit there never seemed to be enough ammo to make regular use of it.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 09:14:32 am »
Its Brilliant. But I am stuck at the Giant beast in the room that like a train yard junction! Pretty sure I killed him back in the day, must have played HAlf Life through at least twice. Must be a faulty memory:(
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 09:24:22 am »
Its Brilliant. But I am stuck at the Giant beast in the room that like a train yard junction! Pretty sure I killed him back in the day, must have played HAlf Life through at least twice. Must be a faulty memory:(

You can't kill him directly.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
And here I thought I'd have a nice and productive day...until I found this thread.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 11:24:11 am »
LOL. Note to self, have auto run on! I took it off to creep past the tenacles! Go beyond the beast but now its time to go to work :(

Black Mesa is highly recommeded to all. Cant believe its free. HL1 was and is a superbly well paced game. Puts a lot of modern games to shame.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25:09 am »

You have to run away from him down the tunnel. Wait till hes right up against the door before you leg it

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 4, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »
I put it on hard thinking I'll be able to walk through the game but its actually pretty hard! The marines can kill you in seconds so I'm dying a lot.
Me too.
It's an unforgiving game !
Really, one of the most cruel games I've ever played !
Evil really sometimes.
I just died because a staircase just stopped in the middle.
I didn't expect that and smashed down on the rocks beneath.
The jumping is also quite hard.
You have to crouch just before you press jump to get a good bit of length on it.

Really, all you young gamers out there, this game will make you cry !
No cover based pussy action here !

Also, just like the original Half Life, the sound is overwhelming.
Try making a couple of tricky jumps with enemies spawning in and sirens blasting.

What a great game, the original and this beautiful remake !

Offline Stevie93

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 8, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
Absolutely brilliant.