21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 460683 times)

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #5280 on: June 15, 2020, 01:31:49 pm »
So it looks like Mick Martin will be our leader up until the end of 2022.   Just like everybody wanted.

What’s the SF reaction - appears they’ve been shafted?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5281 on: June 15, 2020, 01:55:37 pm »
What’s the SF reaction - appears they’ve been shafted?

It's been well flagged for weeks, but I honestly think (despite what the public pronouncements will be) that they're fine with letting FF and the Greens take charge at an incredibly shitty time for the economy while SF can sit and snipe from the sidelines without having a fully analysed economic policy.  I can't see the coalition lasting beyond the end of 2022 anyway - decisions are going to be too difficult, with too many backbench TDs still living civil war politics - so I think they'll be in pole position to take over then.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5282 on: June 15, 2020, 05:30:01 pm »
It's been well flagged for weeks, but I honestly think (despite what the public pronouncements will be) that they're fine with letting FF and the Greens take charge at an incredibly shitty time for the economy while SF can sit and snipe from the sidelines without having a fully analysed economic policy.  I can't see the coalition lasting beyond the end of 2022 anyway - decisions are going to be too difficult, with too many backbench TDs still living civil war politics - so I think they'll be in pole position to take over then.

Thanks

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5283 on: June 22, 2020, 03:53:54 pm »

Will SF even want it then as cant see the future being too bright for any party in charge as the realisation of how bad it is has yet to hit us. Some people think the economy is on hold and once the shut down is over we will be virtually back on track by 2021. We are in for a serious land as those unemployed cannot immigrate in the same numbers they did before when the recession hit so unemployment will be around the 15% mark this winter I fear.

The Green party will surely take a hit if we end up with another election this year as they have a chance to be part of something right now and seem too busy with inhouse squabbling.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5284 on: June 29, 2020, 10:53:05 am »
The vast majority of pubs around the country do not have a restaurant so are unable to open their doors today even though their area/county may have had less than 30 deaths. At the same time the hot spot for the virus with more cases than the rest of the country combined can carry on serving pints as long as there is a meal on the bill. Amazing
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5285 on: June 29, 2020, 09:50:52 pm »
The vast majority of pubs around the country do not have a restaurant so are unable to open their doors today even though their area/county may have had less than 30 deaths. At the same time the hot spot for the virus with more cases than the rest of the country combined can carry on serving pints as long as there is a meal on the bill. Amazing

Thought they could get away with serving toasties and the like.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5286 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:04 am »
Fáilte Ireland has finally published its guidelines for reopening pubs as the coronavirus lockdown eases. The 22-page document arrived on Wednesday evening. Pubs that serve food can open on Monday, June 29th. Pubs that don’t serve food must wait until July 20th.

That is the official stance at the moment and I cant see a pub who does not have a food license being able to legally open right now. Look there is a lot more important things that my local opening as to be honest I only go once or twice a month anyway. The crazy thing is we are trying to open in a safe and cautious manner but I can see us allowing Americans into the country by July 20th as the tourist industry in all of Europe will be crying out for business. If we were really trying to be cautious then the hot spots would be a stage or two behind in the opening but instead we are seeing Dublin get back to "normal" before counties like Waterford who had no covid deaths I believe. Everything should be open there for the past few weeks but the government are more concerned about their ability to get a lunch after their half day in the Dail. 

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5287 on: June 30, 2020, 04:26:02 pm »
Fáilte Ireland has finally published its guidelines for reopening pubs as the coronavirus lockdown eases. The 22-page document arrived on Wednesday evening. Pubs that serve food can open on Monday, June 29th. Pubs that don’t serve food must wait until July 20th.

That is the official stance at the moment and I cant see a pub who does not have a food license being able to legally open right now. Look there is a lot more important things that my local opening as to be honest I only go once or twice a month anyway. The crazy thing is we are trying to open in a safe and cautious manner but I can see us allowing Americans into the country by July 20th as the tourist industry in all of Europe will be crying out for business. If we were really trying to be cautious then the hot spots would be a stage or two behind in the opening but instead we are seeing Dublin get back to "normal" before counties like Waterford who had no covid deaths I believe. Everything should be open there for the past few weeks but the government are more concerned about their ability to get a lunch after their half day in the Dail. 
The problem with allowing separate counties to be fully open with no restrictions is that it'll bring an influx of people from neighbouring counties to them. Unless you impose some kind of checkpoint system, but this being Ireland, and the roads being the way they are, that's next to impossible. I agree with the concern with the government insisting that tourists from what will surely be, and are currently, virus hotspots into the country. That should be an absolute fucking no-no! If the virus starts propagating again, it's going to be because of that and nothing else. Sure, the spike in Donegal came from letting people back from Iraq of all places. I mean, what in the absolute fuck are they playing at? You know it's going to happen, though.

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5288 on: June 30, 2020, 07:53:00 pm »
Deputy First minister Michelle O’Neill at a Republican funeral today attended by thousands with zero social distancing despite telling the nation how important it is to stick to the rules....no shame.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5289 on: June 30, 2020, 07:58:39 pm »

I'm sure I've seen you don't need a food license. In fact pubs around me without one have opened. Maybe your local has just decided to wait, I don't know.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5290 on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:25 pm »
Deputy First minister Michelle O’Neill at a Republican funeral today attended by thousands with zero social distancing despite telling the nation how important it is to stick to the rules....no shame.

Have you evidence of her not social distancing?

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5291 on: June 30, 2020, 08:20:50 pm »
Have you evidence of her not social distancing?
Yes pictures of her all all over social media standing for pics side by side with other people...not surprised she was already gonna be attending it...under orders.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5292 on: June 30, 2020, 08:58:13 pm »
Yes pictures of her all all over social media standing for pics side by side with other people...not surprised she was already gonna be attending it...under orders.

That's not evidence. We're not on social media here. ''Under orders'' grow up will you for fuck sake.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5293 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:58 pm »
That's not evidence. We're not on social media here. ''Under orders'' grow up will you for fuck sake.
Pictures from her today standing side by side isn’t evidence😂Off course she was under orders!

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5294 on: June 30, 2020, 09:13:13 pm »
No doubt Michelle will be wetting herself if any any bands are out on the twelfth😂more faces than a Rubik’s cube!

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #5295 on: June 30, 2020, 10:07:31 pm »
There's one here, but clearly SDing.

It's apparent though that SD 'broke down' in terms of the public, and indeed in some of the other pics it evidently did. Bit annoying, whatever your position. 

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0630/1150536-bobby-storey-funeral/

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5296 on: June 30, 2020, 10:19:18 pm »
Ok so we still haven't had any pictures of Michelle O'Neill not social distancing.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5297 on: June 30, 2020, 11:19:19 pm »
Here is one

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5298 on: June 30, 2020, 11:44:59 pm »
Stupid of her. Very irresponsible.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #5299 on: July 1, 2020, 05:50:05 am »
Resigning matter in my opinion,
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5300 on: July 1, 2020, 09:12:40 am »
Here is one

Massive own goal.  After having apparently done so well with COVID-19 (alongside Foster), i’d expect the NI exec will be all over her today.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5301 on: July 1, 2020, 11:25:04 am »
Yep can have no complaints if she's asked to go.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #5302 on: July 1, 2020, 11:31:51 am »
I'm sure I've seen you don't need a food license. In fact pubs around me without one have opened. Maybe your local has just decided to wait, I don't know.
Id keep it quiet if you like ur pint  ;D......Has to be meal to the value of least nine euro before can serve pints . Basically Gaa matches will be back before a regular Pub can open
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5303 on: July 1, 2020, 11:51:18 am »
Id keep it quiet if you like ur pint  ;D......Has to be meal to the value of least nine euro before can serve pints . Basically Gaa matches will be back before a regular Pub can open

Yeah but they don't need a food licence. Just need to be able to make ham and cheese toasties and charge 9 euro for them.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5304 on: July 1, 2020, 12:43:44 pm »
Yeah but they don't need a food licence. Just need to be able to make ham and cheese toasties and charge 9 euro for them.

You mean, Artisanal traditional bread, served with thinly sliced homemade potatoes marinated with country cheddar and spring onion.

9 euros please.  And here's a pint to go along with it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #5305 on: July 1, 2020, 12:56:45 pm »
You mean, Artisanal traditional bread, served with thinly sliced homemade potatoes marinated with country cheddar and spring onion.

9 euros please.  And here's a pint to go along with it.
That's one way to get your place shutdown alright.

If cash for ash showed us anything, brass necks on the politicians up there means she probably won't even apologize nevermind resign.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5306 on: July 1, 2020, 03:33:14 pm »

I think they can play challenge matches as of this week and contact training allowed but no way can they have a pint after the game. Makes so much sense .

The problem with allowing separate counties to be fully open with no restrictions is that it'll bring an influx of people from neighbouring counties to them. Unless you impose some kind of checkpoint system, but this being Ireland, and the roads being the way they are, that's next to impossible. I agree with the concern with the government insisting that tourists from what will surely be, and are currently, virus hotspots into the country. That should be an absolute fucking no-no! If the virus starts propagating again, it's going to be because of that and nothing else. Sure, the spike in Donegal came from letting people back from Iraq of all places. I mean, what in the absolute fuck are they playing at? You know it's going to happen, though.

Well they are going to have to learn how to close down the hot spots for the next time as there is no way this country will survive if we get a spike in one of the cities / regions and we have to shut everything up. We all know there is about a dozen different ways to get to the same spot in Ireland but the vast majority will behave based on what we saw since March and those eejits that dont, need to be hammered with penalties on their drivers license, fines and anyone in the car get the same fine. Its a small country with a limited number of tourist spots so its not impossible to control the traffic.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5307 on: July 1, 2020, 05:48:34 pm »
Young Noah Donohue was buried today and if possible half of Belfast would loved to have attended his funeral but they didn’t due to his family asking people to respect social distancing but according to SF Michelle O’Neill had to be at yesterday’s funeral as the Republican family needed her support...she is adamant she won’t apologise...no shame.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5308 on: July 1, 2020, 08:05:53 pm »
Here is one
Yeah, I see what you mean there. Mingling with thousands, she was.

Fuck sake, wind your neck in.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5309 on: July 1, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »
Young Noah Donohue was buried today and if possible half of Belfast would loved to have attended his funeral but they didn’t due to his family asking people to respect social distancing but according to SF Michelle O’Neill had to be at yesterday’s funeral as the Republican family needed her support...she is adamant she won’t apologise...no shame.
You're bringing in the tragic burial of a child as an example to use as some kind of political point scoring, and you're talking about "no shame"? Fuckin eejit.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5310 on: July 1, 2020, 09:16:40 pm »
Yeah, I see what you mean there. Mingling with thousands, she was.

Fuck sake, wind your neck in.
Yes she was mingling with thousands and then had the cheek to take a selfie!No doubt you are another shinner who has no morals...

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5311 on: July 1, 2020, 09:19:14 pm »
You're bringing in the tragic burial of a child as an example to use as some kind of political point scoring, and you're talking about "no shame"? Fuckin eejit.
Political point scoring?Dont deflect...by doing what she did yesterday is basically saying her friends are more important than any other other people who have lost their loved ones...but anyway you are the first person I have heard defend her so congratulations.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5312 on: July 1, 2020, 09:41:02 pm »
Yes she was mingling with thousands and then had the cheek to take a selfie!No doubt you are another shinner who has no morals...
Mingling with thousands? Another Shinner with no morals? Behave yourself. And by making that little statement, you've just gone and betrayed yourself as another idiot with an agenda. You don't give a fuck about anything (issues pertaining the pandemic) other than you see a Republican attending a funeral of another prominent Republican, and it boils your piss. You're having a dig at everyone else who was there as much as you are her. At least be honest about that much, and maybe I'd respect your viewpoint a wee bit more.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #5313 on: July 1, 2020, 10:58:33 pm »
Mingling with thousands? Another Shinner with no morals? Behave yourself. And by making that little statement, you've just gone and betrayed yourself as another idiot with an agenda. You don't give a fuck about anything (issues pertaining the pandemic) other than you see a Republican attending a funeral of another prominent Republican, and it boils your piss. You're having a dig at everyone else who was there as much as you are her. At least be honest about that much, and maybe I'd respect your viewpoint a wee bit more.
Nope you are wrong again...I’m very rarely on this section of the forum but yes it boils my piss when someone who has constantly repeated  from March about social distancing goes out and does this and won’t even admit she’s in the wrong...disgusting.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5314 on: July 8, 2020, 09:52:01 am »
Just curious if the new Dail will head off on their two month summer holidays soon as unemployment numbers still hover around 25% and over 50% of under 25 are unemployed. How many hours a week has the average politician worked this year during the worse crisis we have faced? 

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5315 on: July 31, 2020, 09:54:52 am »
Just curious if the new Dail will head off on their two month summer holidays soon as unemployment numbers still hover around 25% and over 50% of under 25 are unemployed. How many hours a week has the average politician worked this year during the worse crisis we have faced? 

Well they decided to wait a couple of extra weeks but on the day it was announced our Covid daily numbers nearly quadrupled was the same day the hard working Dail decided to head off for 6 weeks holidays. Our health officials turn up nearly ever day at the front line while the laziest shower of shytes head off on their annual summer leave as if nothing is wrong with the country. They were quick enough to take money off people who left the country for a weeks holidays so maybe they can take an unpaid leave themselves. At least the government did not try to give themselves a 15k pay rise the past month as they struggle on their annual pay of 125k.  :butt Amazing they actually saw fit to approve that 15k plus pay rise when the average unemployed person right now is trying to survive on even less. Only when their feet were held to the fire did they refuse the raise but they still go home with more pay due to backhanders / extra expenses.

By the way unemployment numbers still hover around 22% and for those under 25 it is 45%. Go ahead and enjoy your well earned break.  :boxhead
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:06:00 am by fowlermagic »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5316 on: July 31, 2020, 06:43:31 pm »
It's almost as if colonialism didn't leave the island. Potential mass exodus of young people on the horizon again. What's new for Ireland, eh?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5317 on: July 31, 2020, 09:54:53 pm »
We keep voting the same two parties in to power. Well not this time but they managed to worm their way in anyway. Nothing will change until that changes.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5318 on: August 1, 2020, 12:30:36 pm »
Well they decided to wait a couple of extra weeks but on the day it was announced our Covid daily numbers nearly quadrupled was the same day the hard working Dail decided to head off for 6 weeks holidays. Our health officials turn up nearly ever day at the front line while the laziest shower of shytes head off on their annual summer leave as if nothing is wrong with the country. They were quick enough to take money off people who left the country for a weeks holidays so maybe they can take an unpaid leave themselves. At least the government did not try to give themselves a 15k pay rise the past month as they struggle on their annual pay of 125k.  :butt Amazing they actually saw fit to approve that 15k plus pay rise when the average unemployed person right now is trying to survive on even less. Only when their feet were held to the fire did they refuse the raise but they still go home with more pay due to backhanders / extra expenses.

By the way unemployment numbers still hover around 22% and for those under 25 it is 45%. Go ahead and enjoy your well earned break.  :boxhead

Didn't realise the unemployment figures were that bad. Can't see Ireland being keen to subsume Northern Ireland any time soon if things are that bad. Northern Ireland offers up unique opportunities for access to UK and EU markets post-Brexit, but presumably the UK access disappears in re-unification?

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5319 on: August 3, 2020, 09:25:02 am »
RIP John Hume, a truly great man.