Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397828 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4880 on: January 8, 2024, 02:24:40 pm »
the benefits of the dim witted bull breeds ;D

Yeah Borders are far too clever for their own good 😂

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4881 on: January 8, 2024, 02:39:37 pm »
Thanks, ladies.  I'll try playing the sounds to him and see if that helps.  He's a bit of a coward in general anyway, so I'm not hopeful, but we'll see how he gets on with it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4882 on: January 8, 2024, 03:34:31 pm »
if he's got special treats, reserve them for when you're doing it so he can associate the big scaries with a nice thing.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4883 on: January 8, 2024, 03:36:34 pm »
Norbs is 3 today - that's gone soooo fast.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4884 on: January 8, 2024, 03:40:49 pm »

❤️ happy birthday Norbs!

Floyd turned TEN 😅 last weds, and still acts like a daft puppy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4885 on: January 8, 2024, 04:00:39 pm »

❤️ happy birthday Norbs!

Floyd turned TEN 😅 last weds, and still acts like a daft puppy.

Wow 10! I remember when you got him and doesn't seem that long ago.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4886 on: January 8, 2024, 04:05:26 pm »
Happy birthday Norbs and Floyd it'll be 6yrs on Sunday since we got Izzy from the rescue 😱

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4887 on: January 8, 2024, 04:42:06 pm »
Been there Tubby and it's not nice.  I agree with Claire though as a way I f getting them used to if unfortunately ours knew the difference 😂

Ultimately we ended up getting another dog to encourage him to stay on the walk rather than run back to car, even when there were no noises.

He's a bit better now but the thunder the other night then an organised shoot locally over the weekend hasn't helped though we've just been down the estuary for a walk and he'd forgotten about the shoot.

It takes our dog three weeks to forget about Bonfire Night,it's December before we can get her outside after dark.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4888 on: January 8, 2024, 04:43:03 pm »

He looks thrilled.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4889 on: January 8, 2024, 04:54:54 pm »
He looks thrilled.

His usual "I make everyone think you mistreat me" face :D

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4890 on: January 8, 2024, 04:59:57 pm »
His usual "I make everyone think you mistreat me" face :D

Ours has got the 'nobody loves me' look down to a fine art.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4891 on: January 17, 2024, 10:51:03 am »
Does anyone else have an indoor ring cam for their dog and do they also know they're being 'watched'?

Got a few issues with barking at things he never used to be at all bothered by and he's also developed serious separation anxiety if I even attempt to go out - crying, whining, barking, pacing, luckily he's never been destructive just annoying. I've got an absolute c*nt of a neighbour who kicks off all the time like he's the only dog in the world who's ever barked which is making any re-training a chore.

The barking at random things, I WFH so I was going down the stairs to tell him to knock it off and I thought maybe me going to him is seen as a 'reward' so I got the ring cam so I could talk to him remotely, first day of getting it all set up he was barking, I goes on it and tells him off... fucker looks straight at the thing, does the twisty head and sits down.

Since then, all I have to do is connect to it and he KNOWS I'm watching, shuts up and sits down, which is great n'all BUT... it makes no noise, the light comes on with movement not me connecting, the mic isn't on. How the fuck does he know?! I'm thinking if I can replicate whatever happens I might be able to go the shop without me needing to kick the fuck out of my neighbour, or is it going to be a case of him learning I'm kinda always there through that and just be patient?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4892 on: January 17, 2024, 10:53:43 am »
I have one on Norbs but I don't think he knows when I'm watching, at least he never seems to act like he does anyway. I have spoken to him threw it a number of times and he looked at it then so he knows my voice comes from there.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4893 on: January 17, 2024, 10:58:15 am »
Norbs quickly putting down the book when he knows you're there and playing it cool ;D

How does Floyd know, he's thick as mince.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4894 on: January 17, 2024, 11:04:03 am »
Norbs quickly putting down the book when he knows you're there and playing it cool ;D

How does Floyd know, he's thick as mince.

TBF Norbs isn't the brightest either. I've occasionally caught him looking at the camera when I've checked, but it's been the odd time rather than often so think was more a coincidence.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4895 on: January 17, 2024, 11:23:43 am »
My stupid dog is a bit of a psycho who keeps biting out the beast eyes of my daughter’s teddies. She obviously likes the challenge of gouging them out, the big weirdo. Normally the missing eye is left lying around on the floor. She did it again today, with a newly purchased teddy (oops) but I couldn’t find the missing eye so presume she may have swallowed it. Hoping it will ‘pass’ out the other end, but has anyone’s dig done anything similar? Just wondering how big a foreign object has to be to cause any issues. She did her usual morning dump today, but was only an hour or so after eyegate so too early for anything to come out I guess.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4896 on: January 17, 2024, 11:27:53 am »
How big is your dog and how big was the eye? Shouldn't be an issue to be honest, they can pass pretty big things.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4897 on: January 17, 2024, 11:29:22 am »
We have an indoor cam for Mia when we go out, it’s situated on the tv desk and watches the couch, which she usually sleeps on when we are out. She definitely knows when she is being watched though. It does have a light that comes on when we connect to it. So I think that lets her know we are watching.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4898 on: January 17, 2024, 11:34:16 am »
Does anyone else have an indoor ring cam for their dog and do they also know they're being 'watched'?

Got a few issues with barking at things he never used to be at all bothered by and he's also developed serious separation anxiety if I even attempt to go out - crying, whining, barking, pacing, luckily he's never been destructive just annoying. I've got an absolute c*nt of a neighbour who kicks off all the time like he's the only dog in the world who's ever barked which is making any re-training a chore.

The barking at random things, I WFH so I was going down the stairs to tell him to knock it off and I thought maybe me going to him is seen as a 'reward' so I got the ring cam so I could talk to him remotely, first day of getting it all set up he was barking, I goes on it and tells him off... fucker looks straight at the thing, does the twisty head and sits down.

Since then, all I have to do is connect to it and he KNOWS I'm watching, shuts up and sits down, which is great n'all BUT... it makes no noise, the light comes on with movement not me connecting, the mic isn't on. How the fuck does he know?! I'm thinking if I can replicate whatever happens I might be able to go the shop without me needing to kick the fuck out of my neighbour, or is it going to be a case of him learning I'm kinda always there through that and just be patient?

Are you working upstairs? Maybe he can hear you connecting to it, or something you do before you connect.

Or maybe it's confirmation bias. You can only see he's looking at it when you connect, but maybe he's looking at it all the time.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4899 on: January 17, 2024, 11:43:57 am »
How big is your dog and how big was the eye? Shouldn't be an issue to be honest, they can pass pretty big things.

That’s what I thought. My wife mentioned the dreaded vet word but don’t want to fork out for a visit if they’ll just say she’s fine. It’s probably about thumbnail sized and she’s a fairly small labradoodle…about the size of a springer spaniel.

Haven’t measured ringpiece circumference but should just about be able to get it out!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4900 on: January 17, 2024, 11:51:03 am »
there was a mangled, headless pigeon outside and I'm not sure if the dog (he deffo didn't kill it) has well... ate any of it, it was dark when I let him out and I'm fairly sure it hasn't been there more than an hour or so. Do I just worm him or best to go the vet? fml.

Just had this exact thing happen but with a frozen blackbird. Look into the garden and he's got something black in his mouth, no idea what, he somehow listened and dropped it and came running inside (he doesn't normally at the best of times if something has his attention). Went and looked and it's a blackbird minus it's head  :-\

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4901 on: January 17, 2024, 12:29:38 pm »
Are you working upstairs? Maybe he can hear you connecting to it, or something you do before you connect.

Or maybe it's confirmation bias. You can only see he's looking at it when you connect, but maybe he's looking at it all the time.

I suppose the confirmation bias is true, though I can watch back the recordings from movement to see if he's doing that. I am upstairs, he can't hear me picking up my phone (all sounds are off) surely ;D

We have an indoor cam for Mia when we go out, it’s situated on the tv desk and watches the couch, which she usually sleeps on when we are out. She definitely knows when she is being watched though. It does have a light that comes on when we connect to it. So I think that lets her know we are watching.

I thought maybe it's the light being on, but it goes blue when there's movement and no difference when connected. Maybe he's cleverer than I give him credit for, might be able to hire him out as a bug detector.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 12:35:21 pm by Claire. »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4902 on: January 17, 2024, 12:33:45 pm »
Just had this exact thing happen but with a frozen blackbird. Look into the garden and he's got something black in his mouth, no idea what, he somehow listened and dropped it and came running inside (he doesn't normally at the best of times if something has his attention). Went and looked and it's a blackbird minus it's head  :-\

oh my word, hopefully he hasn't ate it's head but poor little bird probs froze. Good Norbs though, Floyd would've tried to bring it in!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4903 on: January 17, 2024, 12:56:27 pm »
oh my word, hopefully he hasn't ate it's head but poor little bird probs froze. Good Norbs though, Floyd would've tried to bring it in!

He's def eaten it's head, and looked like one wing, and would have done the lot in if I'd not have looked outside. He'd normally either stay out or run around with it when I try to get him in, thankfully this was one of the few times he decided to listen :D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4904 on: January 17, 2024, 03:16:32 pm »
He's just found the wing I thought he ate, and decide to run around the garden with it in his mouth before eating it  :butt

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4905 on: January 17, 2024, 03:40:08 pm »
 :lmao
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4906 on: January 17, 2024, 03:43:13 pm »
He's just found the wing I thought he ate, and decide to run around the garden with it in his mouth before eating it  :butt

oh dear, feathery poos for a few days then!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4907 on: January 25, 2024, 12:56:16 pm »
Does anyone else use a bully billows collar?

Floyd's one has an issue where if I don't align it to the millimetre when closing it, the clasp will open if it's pulled on the diagonal - doesn't even need to be a hard pull, but he's really strong. Wondering if it's an issue with the design or his is just fucked.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4908 on: January 25, 2024, 02:02:55 pm »

Floyd's one has an issue where if I don't align it to the millimetre when closing it, the clasp will open if it's pulled on the diagonal - doesn't even need to be a hard pull, but he's really strong. Wondering if it's an issue with the design or his is just fucked.

I don't but I had been looking at getting one last year, ended up getting a new K9 harness instead (although this def makes him pull more than a proper collar does).

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4909 on: January 25, 2024, 02:15:15 pm »
Ha, I've ordered him one of those K9 harnesses this morning cos I'm too paranoid about the collar now, I've taught him to finally not pull on the collar and now hoping it doesn't resurface!

They are good collars and I'll still put it on him with the harness, when it's closed properly you'd need to be the hulk to get it apart, just happened once too many. We bumped into an Alsatian on our walk today and I panicked because I can't trust the collar even if I've tested it before we've left.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4910 on: January 25, 2024, 05:18:26 pm »

I don't know that brand, but how does the clasp work? If it is one of the plastic ones that you squeeze together to open, check that the outside corners (of the queezy part) aren't worn. The should be triangular and pointy, if they become rounded they don't click in right and can be pulled open.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4911 on: January 25, 2024, 05:54:46 pm »
It’s metal and has two little levers on either side, when you push it together the two levers lift and then lock into place. At least, that’s what’s supposed to happen! His pushes in and feels like it’s locked and if it’s pulled on a diagonal it’ll twist and then can pop open. I’ve had it for years so maybe something is worn, I’ll get the wd40 on the levers to see if that makes a difference.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4912 on: January 30, 2024, 02:56:19 pm »
His harness arrived and first walk on it today, didn't pull at all but we saw a couple of dogs who got him a bit worked up and have a lot less control over him so bits to work on still!

least I know the fucker can't escape ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4913 on: January 30, 2024, 03:18:56 pm »
His harness arrived and first walk on it today, didn't pull at all but we saw a couple of dogs who got him a bit worked up and have a lot less control over him so bits to work on still!

least I know the fucker can't escape ;D

Does that harness have a front clip where you can attach a lead? We found that really helped when Norbs pulled as allowed us to easily change his direction rather than mostly just pulling back on him.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4914 on: January 31, 2024, 10:57:52 am »
No, it's only got the one on his back, I didn't know they did them!

Issue was with changing direction suddenly to swerve them crossing over, he was too busy being nosey and ended up in front of me, he does listen but will be doing some more clicker training. Luckily was a staff and not a breed he loses his shit over!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4915 on: February 6, 2024, 08:34:43 am »
Anyone have an explanation why dogs howl and are there different reasons for them howling?

Sometimes my two will start howling (singing) to each other as we're setting off in the car to go for a walk.

When I'm getting ready to take them on their morning walk the oldest one will start howling in the middle of the drive.

Occasionally they'll start howling if they think they're being left at home.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #4916 on: February 6, 2024, 06:57:44 pm »
maybe coz they used to be wolves

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #4917 on: February 7, 2024, 10:33:43 pm »
Took my 14 year old Shih Tzu Smudge to the vet today for an ultrasound scan and some more blood tests.

He had a couple of seizure type events last week so they did some blood tests and he has really hight Liver enzymes but the extra blood tests showed he has very high levels of calcium and that is not good.

He is fine in himself though and apart from the above, he seems in reasonably good health for his age.

We are thinking of not going down the more invasive investigative route as we do not want to put Smudge through it.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4918 on: February 9, 2024, 06:41:37 pm »
Anyone have an explanation why dogs howl and are there different reasons for them howling?

Sometimes my two will start howling (singing) to each other as we're setting off in the car to go for a walk.

When I'm getting ready to take them on their morning walk the oldest one will start howling in the middle of the drive.

Occasionally they'll start howling if they think they're being left at home.

My sister's dog howls when that 'Flash' advert is on telly,ours hasn't howled since she was four months old and I accidentally locked her in the garage.