Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1416955 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8520 on: March 19, 2019, 03:43:12 pm »
I now think it’s better to play Spurs when we do rather than when City do.

By the time they go to City they could be properly caught up in the top 4 scrap rather than just skirting in the edge of it.

Hopefully we beat spurs,even a draw at this point would be detrimental. Will be the biggest game of the season

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8521 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:18 pm »
I was just mucking around in Tableau (it's how I learn) and I threw this together to visualise our points breakdown vs Man City.

The dataset only goes up to Matchday 30 so it doesn't incorporate the last game against Fulham, but regardless it helps illustrate out of our remaining games how we (and City) have fared against said opponents.

Out of the remaining opponents left, only Chelsea have stopped us taking maximum points, whereas City have 2 teams that beat them this season already. I know you don't need a graph to tell you that but I thought I'd share this with you lot, if only to see how and where points where lost on both sides.

I'm still having some issues with the Rank function but it's close enough to approximate the real table.

Offline Stevie2810

• Main Stander
« Reply #8522 on: March 19, 2019, 03:49:09 pm »
Praying for a City slip up, how many games have they won on the bounce? 13 or 14?
20 wins from last 21 games (If you include League Cup final as a win).

Incredible form from them and if they win the next 8 league games then what can you do?

Fingers crossed all these games in April catches up with them.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8523 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:13 pm »
I was just mucking around in Tableau (it's how I learn) and I threw this together to visualise our points breakdown vs Man City.

The problem with all of this is that you are trying to forecast the unpredictable. These things only work if you accept that the results will generally be the same. The teams that Man City lost points to you would not have expected them to lose to based on their form otherwise. If we win all our games, then we give ourselves the best chances of lifting the title. If we don't, then we have a smaller chance, but still possible. It's an unpredictable sport. There are some twists and turns to be had yet. It's so close between the two top teams that I think it'll go down to the final 2-3 games. We need to do our part and keep winning our games.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8524 on: March 19, 2019, 04:41:46 pm »
Then we play on Friday v Southampton and they have an FA Cup semi-final. We’ll have played 33 they 32. Their game in hand is and always has been United away. Cardiff is just moved forward a few days from the weekend of the FA Cup semi-final. Where they would still be one game behind us.

Yep - people seem to not catch on that they now have an extra game to play in a week where they should have had a full week off. They also should have been able to stay in Manchester that Saturday, they now have to travel to London twice in four days. With a bit of luck, Brighton can take them to extra time too, get more on their legs and get them home later.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8525 on: March 19, 2019, 04:50:51 pm »
Its not so much about the ability. Thewy have the ability to beat all those teams. Its physical and mental fatigue which I am hoping will do them in.

There will be games when they will have difficulty playing against physical teams once every three or four days. When their passes go awry and they start making wrong decisions. During this span of one game every 4 days, there will be a few games where they will be off and they have to win through sheer determination and force of will. I am hoping that they will drop points in those games.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8526 on: March 19, 2019, 04:51:14 pm »
When will the May game dates be confirmed?

Newcastle and Wolves...

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8527 on: March 19, 2019, 04:54:02 pm »

Fucking hell. Wow!

Online Philipm20

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8528 on: March 19, 2019, 04:58:51 pm »

Newcastle and Wolves...

5th April

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8529 on: March 19, 2019, 05:06:30 pm »

Newcastle and Wolves...

Newcastle is supposed to be announced on 5th April. The Wolves game is already fixed for 3pm on Sunday 12th May. All games on the last day have to be played at the same time. The only decision left is which games will be shown on tv and they don't decide that until after the second last game.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #8530 on: March 19, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
I thought they showed every game live on the red button end of last season?

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #8531 on: March 19, 2019, 05:24:45 pm »
I've got a feeling City will drop 6 or 8 points by season's end.
Too many must win games in different competitions for them not to get fatigued.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #8532 on: March 19, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
I don't think it is likely that City will drop many points, but surely they'll at least have one slip before the end of the season? We are going to need to be pretty close to perfect to win this. We have proven this season that we are capable of winning our last 8 matches if we play to our full potential. Whoever wins this title is going to have to earn it.

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8533 on: March 19, 2019, 05:35:47 pm »
The problem with all of this is that you are trying to forecast the unpredictable. These things only work if you accept that the results will generally be the same. The teams that Man City lost points to you would not have expected them to lose to based on their form otherwise. If we win all our games, then we give ourselves the best chances of lifting the title. If we don't, then we have a smaller chance, but still possible. It's an unpredictable sport. There are some twists and turns to be had yet. It's so close between the two top teams that I think it'll go down to the final 2-3 games. We need to do our part and keep winning our games.

At the time I wasn't trying to forecast anything, just deconstruct our mutual points tally (and learn some Tableau). Granted you can't use past performances to predict future events but if anything I think it shows that Man City are just as likely to drop points from the remaining games as we are...and that is without adding in their fixture congestion to the equation.

I agree with you, there will definitely be some twists and turns before the season is over and only time will tell who will benefit.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #8534 on: March 19, 2019, 05:41:49 pm »

I think we need to give them as much credit as possible, so when/if there is a blip --- it will be a bigger drop emotionally.

Talk them up --- let them fall.  They do have a squad to manage this fixture craziness.  Doing it, though is an entirely different matter and we do not realize yet, how much energy has been expended in their matches in the last two months.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #8535 on: March 19, 2019, 05:45:23 pm »

I imagine we won't be able to contain ourselves if that happens  ;D ;D
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8536 on: March 19, 2019, 05:46:27 pm »

Fucking hell. Wow!

In that run they have beaten Southampton,Burton Albion twice, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Newport County, relegation battling Shalke twice and Swansea City. Also, they had to go to penalties in the League Cup final.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:47:58 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8537 on: March 19, 2019, 05:55:33 pm »
I think we need to give them as much credit as possible, so when/if there is a blip --- it will be a bigger drop emotionally.

Talk them up --- let them fall. They do have a squad to manage this fixture craziness.  Doing it, though is an entirely different matter and we do not realize yet, how much energy has been expended in their matches in the last two months.

The question is how well will Guardiola juggle it? We've already seen that he likes to play the same players, regardless of the competition, when he could/should be resting players.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
« Reply #8538 on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:33 pm »
Disgusting decision.

Yet another game brought forward for the oil cheats and this one not just brought forward but played out of sequence for their opponents, all in the name of tv wanting to create drama.

Bad enough trying to compete with their financial doping, even worse when tv are bending over backwards to help them.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8539 on: March 19, 2019, 06:17:12 pm »
Disgusting decision.

Yet another game brought forward for the oil cheats and this one not just brought forward but played out of sequence for their opponents, all in the name of tv wanting to create drama.

Bad enough trying to compete with their financial doping, even worse when tv are bending over backwards to help them.

Not at all, they couldn't play any other time.

The CL Semi finals are 30th April and 7th May, the league finishes on the 12th, they cannot reschedule for those weeks in case City get there, so they had to play it in the only free week available which is the first week of April.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:19:31 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
« Reply #8540 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:58 pm »
Not at all. The CL Semi finals are in April and May, they cannot reschedule for those weeks in case City get there, so they had to play it in the only free week available which is the first week of April.

I was told it could have been played in May?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8541 on: March 19, 2019, 06:24:31 pm »

I’d rather they played it early and got it out of the way. They’re nailed on to win. We could be in May saying “better to have points on the board” but there’s no way they won’t win that one. Get it out of the way and keep their run of tougher games grouped together.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8542 on: March 19, 2019, 06:25:28 pm »

I’d rather they played it early and got it out of the way. They’re nailed on to win. We could be in May saying “better to have points on the board” but there’s no way they won’t win that one. Get it out of the way and keep their run of tougher games grouped together.

They play Leicester on the 4th May and then the season finishes on the 12th. However, the CL semis are scheduled for the 30th April and 7th May, so if they get past Spurs they can't play that week. They can't leave it til the 2nd leg of the CL, as if City get through then they can't fit the game in.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #8543 on: March 19, 2019, 06:26:45 pm »
Fair do's

Is what it is i suppose.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8544 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:33 pm »
Fair do's

Is what it is i suppose.

They've lost a week off too with this game being moved. They should have played on March 30th then April 6th, now they have a midweek game in between and a trip to London they didn't have til they beat Swansea.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #8545 on: March 19, 2019, 06:31:55 pm »
They've lost a week off too with this game being moved. They should have played on March 30th then April 6th, now they have a midweek game in between and a trip to London they didn't have til they beat Swansea.

I suppose the issue for me is them getting first run at points on the board yet again ahead of us going Southampton.

But if that really is the only date it could be put to then fair do's.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8546 on: March 19, 2019, 06:48:09 pm »
Just been looking at the fixtures. I still assume City will play Cardiff the week before the semi final, but the following needs to be arranged which will need taken into consideration

City v Cardiff
Brighton v Cardiff
Chelsea v Brighton
Spurs v Brighton

They'll probably have Brighton v Cardiff on one of the Champions League weeks, City v Cardiff before the semi final, Chelsea/Spurs v Brighton before the semi final, and the other tie on the same midweek of United v City.

They should just let me sort out the fixture dates  ;)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #8547 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:50 pm »
Chill out lads and lasses. Ain't saying we're gonna do it. But if we are...we'll do it one game at a time, and it won't cost us a dime.

The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8548 on: March 19, 2019, 07:42:18 pm »

I prefer them meet Man City as soonest as possible while they've something to play for like escaping regulation.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8549 on: March 19, 2019, 07:57:25 pm »
I hate international breaks, but to have one now is fucking ludicrous.   No one gives a slimy shit, we just want to get on with proper football.  Fucking hell, 2 weeks until we see the Reds!!  Ridiculous.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #8550 on: March 19, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
I prefer them meet Man City as soonest as possible while they've something to play for like escaping regulation.
City never face regulation mate.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8551 on: March 19, 2019, 08:05:50 pm »
So, now after the FA has finally confirmed Man City's rescheduled fixture with Cardiff and I can jerk off in the correct order with previsualized fixtures, the most natural question is:

After we win the league and have a 2 week break to the Uefa Champions League final, is Klopp going to schedule a warmup game for us in Spain and with whom so that we don't lose our rhythm? If not, then I'm going to be extremely unhappy 'cos that's all that's restricting my previsualisation right now.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8552 on: March 19, 2019, 08:26:45 pm »
City never face regulation mate.

Sorry autocorrect fail meant relegation. :)
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #8553 on: March 19, 2019, 08:31:52 pm »
I suppose the issue for me is them getting first run at points on the board yet again ahead of us going Southampton.

Why are people bothered about that ???
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8554 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:51 pm »
They may have a large enough squad to cope with the fixtures, but they have sod all time between games to prepare tactically. Maybe they have a few ways of playing already that they know well enough, that they just brush up in the few sessions they have.
No point worrying about it though, just cheer the lads on for the next game , and the next, and pray we don't start picking up key injuries!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8555 on: March 19, 2019, 10:34:26 pm »
Tottenham could have a massive say in our destiny , must win game for us against them then they take City on, we have 6 games in April, City have 8 of which 3 of them are against Spurs, CL semi final first leg is 31st April/1 May in which potentially they have Ronaldo and his mates if they overcome Spurs,  they have a big squad agreed but that will be stretched to the maximum
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:40:34 pm by stevied »
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8556 on: March 20, 2019, 06:24:46 am »
I hate international breaks, but to have one now is fucking ludicrous.   No one gives a slimy shit, we just want to get on with proper football.  Fucking hell, 2 weeks until we see the Reds!!  Ridiculous.

Its actually came at the right time for us. While we haven't exactly been in bad form, I don't feel we are at our best. Some players in particular (Salah). Hopefully after the break we can come back firing for the final home stretch. We also have a difficult game after the break. Spurs won't fancy the trip to a passionate Anfield after the International break. As well as that, City are on an incredible run, the international break has a chance to break that momentum.

In saying that, I can't stand international football, but it is what it is.

They may have a large enough squad to cope with the fixtures, but they have sod all time between games to prepare tactically. Maybe they have a few ways of playing already that they know well enough, that they just brush up in the few sessions they have.
No point worrying about it though, just cheer the lads on for the next game , and the next, and pray we don't start picking up key injuries!

This part is key for me. City have the squad to beat the likes of Palace with their second team. Their full concentration will be on Spurs though. Even more so for the last couple of games if they beat Spurs, their concentration will be on Juventus/Ajax. This leaves little time to prepare for the teams they play in the league. Nobody likes an away game at the other end of the country after a European away tie either. Even if it is only London, its still a distruption in an already busy week.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:28:08 am by deano2727 »

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8557 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:06 am »
Tottenham could have a massive say in our destiny , must win game for us against them then they take City on, we have 6 games in April, City have 8 of which 3 of them are against Spurs, CL semi final first leg is 31st April/1 May in which potentially they have Ronaldo and his mates if they overcome Spurs,  they have a big squad agreed but that will be stretched to the maximum

Something that you haven't mentioned that favours us as well, is the disparity between home and away games for each respective side.  City have 5 away games to just 3 home games, while we have 4 home to 3 away.  Regardless of how good City is and how deep a squad they have, they obviously aren't as good on the road and their record backs that up having dropped points in 5 of 14 away games this year.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #8558 on: March 20, 2019, 08:41:06 am »
Something that you haven't mentioned that favours us as well, is the disparity between home and away games for each respective side.  City have 5 away games to just 3 home games, while we have 4 home to 3 away.  Regardless of how good City is and how deep a squad they have, they obviously aren't as good on the road and their record backs that up having dropped points in 5 of 14 away games this year.

And one little detail more: we are incredible at home, winning 13 and drawing 2, conceding just 9 goals. Undefeated in 36 matches at home. Those four home games are massive for us.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8559 on: March 20, 2019, 09:04:19 am »

The key games imo for City are Utd and Palace away. I know Spurs are probably a better team than both, but I think they’re more likely to beat City over two legs in the CL than in the league.
As it’s their only possible trophy left they may be stronger, line up wise, in those games than the league, despite top 4 being at risk.

We can perhaps influence Spurs approach though, by beating them in the league and making the league game against City potentially more important to them.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp