Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1417081 times)

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8480 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:09 am »
Gonna be a long 2 weeks without football after last week bloody hell. Might do me some good.
I'm very much welcoming the break, gives us as fans recharge the emotional batteries and Salah hopefully time to refresh ready for the run-in
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8481 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:29 am »
There's a reason Fulham sit on 17 points - they're fucking shite. City will put at least 4 past them. Hoping that Fulham or Burnley or the like do some kind of job on City is clutching at straws big time. United and Spurs is where they're likeliest to drop points, with maybe Palace and Leicester within an outside chance as well. The rest they'll beat comfortably.

I'd expect them to beat Fulham, probably at a canter. Less so Burnley, where they drew last year. Not least if Burnley need the points. Burnley beat spurs at home not so long ago and gave us a very decent game twice. They're a classic example of a team not doing great in the table that you wouldn't want to play at that sort of time of year.

If we get 9/9 in the next 3 I think it's on. Between Burnley, Palace and United away and Spurs/Leicester at home that is a hell of a run, when surrounded by champions league and fa cup games, to not drop points. Comparatively, if we get through the next 3 unscathed then our final 4 fixtures would do well to be picked out better by any of us on here.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8482 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:45 am »
City vs Cardiff game is apparently going to be played on the 4th of April.

Surely the Wednesday (3rd) would make more sense? City have the semi final on the Sat or Sun, and the 1st leg against Spurs on the following Tues.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8483 on: March 19, 2019, 10:06:36 am »
I'd be careful if you're counting wins for the easier games, and celebrating after winning the big games, cos history has shown that both City and us have been switched on for the big games, and it's when we have a little opening with relatively easier games, that we've dropped the ball.

There's 1 or 2 exceptions there such as our away draws, which might prove to be good points for us. And City's loss to Chelsea away.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Stevie2810

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8484 on: March 19, 2019, 10:08:48 am »
Surely the Wednesday (3rd) would make more sense? City have the semi final on the Sat or Sun, and the 1st leg against Spurs on the following Tues.
I just seen it on the Bluemoon forum board. Apparently Catering has been organised for the 4th.

Didn't realise there was also the issue of Cardiff vs Brighton being rescheduled too which was due to take place on the 16th of March. That game should take priority as it was first but I wouldn't hold my breath if they moved that game to the end of April.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #8485 on: March 19, 2019, 10:37:32 am »
My Da turned 70 last month and has been going since 1957/8 . He's told me that all he wants to see before he pops his cloggs is for us to win the League again. I hope and pray that when he's popping off I can say to him. Dad . We fucking done it mate.

Aye, well heres to your dad and all the other old timers!  :champ

Shit. I forgot me point.    ;D

It doesn't matter what age we are .

;D Very true. We're all in this together (for better or worse!)

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #8486 on: March 19, 2019, 10:51:24 am »
I didn’t think Fulham were particularly great yesterday, and it’s unlikely City drop points there. However as much as United fans may not want them to help us win the league by getting a result, I think if they need the points for CL qualification I think the players will be trying for that result. I just don’t buy the argument that United won’t try.

Absolutely.  Best case scenario is that Arsenal stay in 4th right till the final stages of the season ... United bomb out to Barcelona and they HAVE to try and win against City to get into top 4.  What a nightmare scenario for them! haha
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8487 on: March 19, 2019, 10:54:29 am »
And btw, City ain't dropping any points v Fulham so don't let your heads fall off when they win.

Sterner tests where they have the chance to do that.  That little fixture pile up after their CL semis with United, Spurs and Burnley in the league .... that's the possible moment imo. And it only needs to be one draw.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #8488 on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:44 am »
Aye, well heres to your dad and all the other old timers!  :champ

;D Very true. We're all in this together (for better or worse!)

Is right . My nephew is 21 and feels the same as you.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8489 on: March 19, 2019, 11:00:29 am »
Oh and also, we could do with City beating Brighton in the semi.  Their team could be going into their final game of the season with City resting players for a cup final (like Wolves will hopefully be doing with us).  I'd much rather Brighton be trying to exact some revenge in that final league game for City knocking them out the cup!

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8490 on: March 19, 2019, 11:05:19 am »
True ..City will most likely beat Fulham. Its the first game back from the break after all. Utd  and Spurs are where they are most likely to drop points. My other hope is playing 3 games every week takes its toll and those other teams bring them down to their level and force them to scrap

Probably ... but you never can tell though.  I felt sure they'd drop at least 2 points in that week they played Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea.  Breezed past the lot of them.  It's just as likely they slip up with a draw away at Burnley or Palace or something. They nearly did at a Championship side last weekend!

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8491 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:51 am »
Probably ... but you never can tell though.  I felt sure they'd drop at least 2 points in that week they played Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea.  Breezed past the lot of them.  It's just as likely they slip up with a draw away at Burnley or Palace or something. They nearly did at a Championship side last weekend!

Personally feel the Palace game and the Manchester derby are the 2 most likely games where they drop points.  Hopefully Utd are out of the UCL and well rested for the derby and still fighting for fourth, while Palace just seem to be a team that causes the big teams problems.  It's all just wishing and hoping though.

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #8492 on: March 19, 2019, 11:41:14 am »
Question: Am I the only one who's starting to find this season somewhat bizarre and surreal? Surely I'm not the only one who's struggling to get my head around all of this? Because based on my understanding of football - and it's place within this thing we call reality - this title race is utterly fucking absurd. It's starting to depart the boundaries of normality now, isn't it?

I mean, 95 points seems to be the number that most people are pointing at as the minimum requirement for this title. I know it's likely that there may be some twists and turns to come, but I'd be inclined to agree that yes, 95 points (approx) is probably what will be needed if we are to become league champions.

Now here comes that part I'm struggling with: erm, 95 points is utterly fucking ridiculous. It's insane. It's essentially the second highest points total ever accumulated in the history of top flight English football. Up until last year it was THE highest. Even if you went back to when it was 2 points for a win and recalculated the league tables using today's format, you wont find many sides (if any) clocking totals anywhere near 95 points. And the football league is 130 years old this year!

I know some might be quick to point out that the top division didn't always have 20 teams in it. And my answer to that is ok, lets count up how many teams have managed to clock up a 2.5/1 points to game ratio over a full season. Because when you crunch the numbers, that's what 95 points from 38 games equates to. Again, I'm pretty sure you're not going to find many teams (if any) clocking that up - even if you go all the way back to 1888

Now here's where it gets even more batshit crazy: there's actually an excellent chance that we'll fricking do it. Based on form, it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility for us to hit 95. But at the same time - that in itself is utterly fucking absurd because none of Ferguson's United teams (including the ones with Ronaldo) ever got close to that, nor did any of Dalglish's teams, nor did any of Paisley's teams, nor did Revie's Leeds team, nor did Busby's great United team with Law Best and Charlton. Even Wenger's invincibles didn't go above 90

See what I mean when I say I'm kind of struggling with reality at the moment? See why I'm asking myself what the fuck is this all about? What are we ACTUALLY witnessing here? Where is this leading? Even if we only hit 92 points, we'll still have eclipsed all of the teams I just mentioned points wise. Christ, I just realised as I typed that out how fucking preposterous it sounds. "Only hit 92 points" ??? Fuck me!

Now here's where it all takes another twist of utter lunacy: 95 points may end up being insufficient to win us the bastarding thing. Seriously, how fucking cruel would that be? I've made my peace with Rafa and 2009. I've made my peace with Brendan and 2014. But if we clock over 90+ points this year and still only end up as runners up then I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to get over it. And that in a way scares me. That's why this title fight has way more riding on it than the ones in 2009 and 2014

If we win this title then it has to go down as the greatest league triumph in the clubs history. It just has to. Lose the fucking thing and it has to go down as one of the cruelest defeats in the history of the league. As I say, I'm just finding it all a bit mental at the moment. And to think that in the midst of it all there are some posters in other threads complaining that we never upgraded on Origi and Lallana in the summer. How can all of that exist in the one reality? Anyone care to explain that to me?

I just don't know anymore!

Fantastic post and a timely reminder of just how good we've been this season.
The numbers are insane.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8493 on: March 19, 2019, 12:04:09 pm »
If we get 9/9 in the next 3 I think it's on. Between Burnley, Palace and United away and Spurs/Leicester at home that is a hell of a run, when surrounded by champions league and fa cup games, to not drop points. Comparatively, if we get through the next 3 unscathed then our final 4 fixtures would do well to be picked out better by any of us on here.

If we get 9/9 from those fixtures, there will be monumental pressure on City to win, just like it was in December.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #8494 on: March 19, 2019, 12:10:16 pm »
We have been superb.
Winning the league/CL or not I don't think this set of lads could have done much more to get any better than this position right now...

They have played out of their skins to rack up this many points

Won't be fully appreciated until the summer at the earliest
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8495 on: March 19, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »
Has anyone got a concise side-by-side comparison of the remaining fixtures for us and City?

Also, I cannot believe how easy a ride they have got in both domestic cups and Europe this season.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8496 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:36 pm »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8497 on: March 19, 2019, 12:21:47 pm »
I think the stability at the club, the age, quality and versatility of the squad and the progress we've shown over the last couple of seasons are all reasons why I've been quite chilled about what, if anything, we win come May.

If it's not this season then it'll be next but if we win something this season itll be the start of continual success.  Not necessarily dominance but we'll be contenders for a good few years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8498 on: March 19, 2019, 12:54:21 pm »
The next 3 games are absolutely massive - if we can win those 3 then I will really start believing we're going to do it. At the moment, it's nice to be in the conversation again. This time last season I was solely focusing on the CL and we were about 30 points off City.

When we were going for the league in 2008 it felt everything was reliant on Gerrard and Torres and in 2014 it was Suarez and a wave of pure emotion that carried us on one hell of a run that took us close but this time feels so much more calculated and professional - everything is calm and planned. For the players at least. This feels like the next step on our development - a challenge, if it doesn't come off then we'll be back next year. City are nearing their peak in terms of how good they can get, we're not. They've been built up as the best team to ever play the game since last May and yet they can't shake us off. We knocked them out of the competition they want/need to win the most last season, we're not leaving them alone this season. It must be in Pep's head that we won't go away and they'll know that's the case for next season too. That'll play a part.

We as fans will have a say in this yet, at this point in 2014 you heard the chants about winning the league constantly and we had the bus welcoming for every game but that's not happening this time. It makes it all feel like this is just what we're meant to be doing.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8499 on: March 19, 2019, 12:57:18 pm »
It wasn't Suarez alone. We had Sturridge who had scored 23 league goals that year, and he was fit for most of the season. Sterling also helped, but Suarez alone didn't carry us. He was exceptional but Sturridge wasn't that far behind him. I agree with your overall assessment.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8500 on: March 19, 2019, 01:02:10 pm »
It wasn't Suarez alone. We had Sturridge who had scored 23 league goals that year, and he was fit for most of the season. Sterling also helped, but Suarez alone didn't carry us. He was exceptional but Sturridge wasn't that far behind him. I agree with your overall assessment.

Absolutely he was important, but it felt like it was Suarez. It felt like if he didn't pull something out of the bag then we wouldn't win. Whereas this time, it feels like if Salah isn't on it, then Mane will step up, if Mane is having an off day then Bobby will do something etc. We just feel far more prepared and that's what makes me feel a lot more comfortable this time round.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #8501 on: March 19, 2019, 01:10:38 pm »
The next 3 games are absolutely massive - if we can win those 3 then I will really start believing we're going to do it. At the moment, it's nice to be in the conversation again. This time last season I was solely focusing on the CL and we were about 30 points off City.

When we were going for the league in 2008 it felt everything was reliant on Gerrard and Torres and in 2014 it was Suarez and a wave of pure emotion that carried us on one hell of a run that took us close but this time feels so much more calculated and professional - everything is calm and planned. For the players at least. This feels like the next step on our development - a challenge, if it doesn't come off then we'll be back next year. City are nearing their peak in terms of how good they can get, we're not. They've been built up as the best team to ever play the game since last May and yet they can't shake us off. We knocked them out of the competition they want/need to win the most last season, we're not leaving them alone this season. It must be in Pep's head that we won't go away and they'll know that's the case for next season too. That'll play a part.

We as fans will have a say in this yet, at this point in 2014 you heard the chants about winning the league constantly and we had the bus welcoming for every game but that's not happening this time. It makes it all feel like this is just what we're meant to be doing.

For me , If we win the next 3 games . We are winning this .

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8502 on: March 19, 2019, 01:14:37 pm »

Personally, I think we have to win the next 3 just to have a chance of winning it.  I don't see where City drop any more points this year, but, if they do we won't be able to afford dropping any the rest of the way so we can take advantage.  If we drop any more points we won't win the league. 

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8503 on: March 19, 2019, 01:16:25 pm »

Agree, one game at a time and continue to build pressure and City will crack due to fatigue. But win the NeXT three and we will be so fired up for the remaining four.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8504 on: March 19, 2019, 01:19:07 pm »
Personally, I think we have to win the next 3 just to have a chance of winning it.  I don't see where City drop any more points this year, but, if they do we won't be able to afford dropping any the rest of the way so we can take advantage.  If we drop any more points we won't win the league.

Both us and City will drop points between now and the end of the season IMO.

City have 11 games in 44 days coming up, possibly 13 in 44, which is a huge amount. The longest gap they'll have between games is 4 days (once), but mostly it'll be 2 or 3 days.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8505 on: March 19, 2019, 01:31:03 pm »
Both us and City will drop points between now and the end of the season IMO.

City have 11 games in 44 days coming up, possibly 13 in 44, which is a huge amount. The longest gap they'll have between games is 4 days (once), but mostly it'll be 2 or 3 days.

But they have the squad to do it.  And, as we all know, teams go into games with them knowing they are going to lose.  I just don't think we can count on them dropping points and, if they do, then we need to have full points every game to take advantage. 

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8506 on: March 19, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »
City v Brighton is on Saturday 6th. So the Cardiff game will likely be 3rd.

Can't see them playing it on 4th, only 2 days before City play, or 2nd, only 2 days after Cardiff play.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #8507 on: March 19, 2019, 02:55:23 pm »
But they have the squad to do it.  And, as we all know, teams go into games with them knowing they are going to lose.  I just don't think we can count on them dropping points and, if they do, then we need to have full points every game to take advantage. 

That's what I was thinking earlier on. As in how possible is the scenario of us having to win all of our 7 games remaining and counting for one City slip up? I think there is a good chance.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Stevie2810

• Main Stander
« Reply #8508 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:07 pm »
City v Brighton is on Saturday 6th. So the Cardiff game will likely be 3rd.

Can't see them playing it on 4th, only 2 days before City play, or 2nd, only 2 days after Cardiff play.
Game confirmed for the 3rd of April @ 7.45pm.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #8509 on: March 19, 2019, 03:10:32 pm »
Game confirmed for the 3rd of April @ 7.45pm.

So game in hand will now be a home game v Cardiff.  Both will have played 32 matches by then.

Bit different to an away Derby.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8510 on: March 19, 2019, 03:12:17 pm »
So game in hand will now be a home game v Cardiff.  Both will have played 32 matches by then.

They’ll (hopefully) still need to win that Derby when it comes around. Regardless of when they play we need to keep winning and see if they crack.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #8511 on: March 19, 2019, 03:13:38 pm »

Then we play on Friday v Southampton and they have an FA Cup semi-final. We’ll have played 33 they 32. Their game in hand is and always has been United away. Cardiff is just moved forward a few days from the weekend of the FA Cup semi-final. Where they would still be one game behind us.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8512 on: March 19, 2019, 03:15:49 pm »
They’ll (hopefully) still need to win that Derby when it comes around. Regardless of when they play we need to keep winning and see if they crack.

And they play Palace and tottenham before they play the mancs

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8513 on: March 19, 2019, 03:16:15 pm »

No, their game in hand is still United away. They’ve just brought forward the Cardiff game by a few days from when it would have been played without FA Cup participation.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Stevie2810

• Main Stander
« Reply #8514 on: March 19, 2019, 03:17:47 pm »
I just can't shake the feeling that we will need 7 more wins to win the league.

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #8515 on: March 19, 2019, 03:19:20 pm »
Praying for a City slip up, how many games have they won on the bounce? 13 or 14?

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #8516 on: March 19, 2019, 03:20:56 pm »

The Cardiff at home game was always a guaranteed 3 points for them regardless of when they play it.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8517 on: March 19, 2019, 03:24:03 pm »
Praying for a City slip up, how many games have they won on the bounce? 13 or 14?

Technically it's only 5 in all competitions as it was 0-0 with Chelsea after 90 mins

11 if you class that as a win
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:30:26 pm by Caston »

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #8518 on: March 19, 2019, 03:37:31 pm »
I think it’s a good thing their game against Cardiff has been brought forward. Realistically, they’re going to win that easily. I mean Cardiff aren’t getting anything at the Etihad (unless a miracle happens). That will be out of the way right at the beginning of their nightmarish stretch.

After that they only have 2 home games for the rest of the season. One of which is Spurs.
YWNA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8519 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:16 pm »
I now think it’s better to play Spurs when we do rather than when City do.

By the time they go to City they could be properly caught up in the top 4 scrap rather than just skirting in the edge of it.