Author Topic: Pro Evolution Soccer Series  (Read 50968 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer Series
« Reply #560 on: October 3, 2021, 06:57:10 pm »
FIFA 22 is the best FIFA in ages too just to rub things in.

What’s different about this new one to last years? I need my arm twisting to buy it.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: October 3, 2021, 08:27:35 pm »
What’s different about this new one to last years? I need my arm twisting to buy it.

Feels a bit more weighty, keepers can actually make saves now aswell.

Apart from that, not much.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #562 on: October 4, 2021, 10:58:10 am »
Will probably bite the bullet and get FIFA eventually. Eurgh.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2021, 11:01:33 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: October 4, 2021, 10:59:38 am »
Feels a bit more weighty, keepers can actually make saves now aswell.

Apart from that, not much.

Hmmmm. Might wait until a sale but the RAWK pro clubs is tempting  :)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #564 on: October 4, 2021, 12:45:41 pm »
Will probably bite the bullet and get FIFA eventually. Eurgh.
Same. I get it most years but still feels a bit dirty.

My worry is that, for all the good early praise it's getting (and I only play Career Mode), it's only ever a few updates away from being the same arcadey exploit-fest it's been for several years now.

£60 for the Series X Version feels steep too, is it even noticeably better than the previous gen version that's £10 cheaper?

I've some old games to trade in so might wander into town this weekend and see if I can knock it down to the £30 or so that I'd be okay with paying.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #565 on: October 4, 2021, 12:53:48 pm »
Same. I get it most years but still feels a bit dirty.

My worry is that, for all the good early praise it's getting (and I only play Career Mode), it's only ever a few updates away from being the same arcadey exploit-fest it's been for several years now.

Yeah I saw a review that said that the pace has been slowed down and it feels like a more natural football game. But that this happened last year too, and loads of fans complained because they would rather have a 7-5 win online than grind out a 1-0 in career mode, and they caved and sped it up with the update.

Hope that doesn't happen this time.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: October 4, 2021, 01:07:01 pm »
Yeah I saw a review that said that the pace has been slowed down and it feels like a more natural football game. But that this happened last year too, and loads of fans complained because they would rather have a 7-5 win online than grind out a 1-0 in career mode, and they caved and sped it up with the update.

Hope that doesn't happen this time.
I've always wondered how much time and resource would actually need to go into offering two modes of gameplay, arcade and simulation. It sounds like we're of the same mind that we'd get more satisfaction from a realistic, hard fought 1-0 where one moment of quality breaks the deadlock, than scoring 5 worldies as you bang in 6 and ship 4 or 5 yourself from launched through balls.

Offer arcade, normal-ish gameplay massively sped up, skill moves with a higher frequency and success rate, long shots more likely to fly in etc. Then offer simulation, which is slower, weightier, tactics matter more and only the best players on the planet can pull off top skills and unbelievable goals with any consistency.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #567 on: October 4, 2021, 01:09:34 pm »
I've always wondered how much time and resource would actually need to go into offering two modes of gameplay, arcade and simulation. It sounds like we're of the same mind that we'd get more satisfaction from a realistic, hard fought 1-0 where one moment of quality breaks the deadlock, than scoring 5 worldies as you bang in 6 and ship 4 or 5 yourself from launched through balls.

Offer arcade, normal-ish gameplay massively sped up, skill moves with a higher frequency and success rate, long shots more likely to fly in etc. Then offer simulation, which is slower, weightier, tactics matter more and only the best players on the planet can pull off top skills and unbelievable goals with any consistency.

Yeah 100%. Always preferred realism, hence PES over FIFA every time.

Until now  :-[

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #568 on: October 4, 2021, 02:43:59 pm »
As a long time PES fan I have jumped ship this year and I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. I have played recent ones round friends houses and the ball always seemed floaty but this seems to be a marked improvement. I can see myself scoring some screamers on this game.

Also the pre-game Anfield on the PS5 version is immense. 9 games into the season and I watch the whole thing through every time

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #569 on: October 4, 2021, 03:36:08 pm »
Back to Pro Evo/PES/ISS/Winning Eleven/eFootball chat...what is the intended release schedule now? Is this the final game, or is it a bit like when you get a demo and possibly a new-build of the game on release? Trying to cling to a bit of hope here...

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #570 on: October 4, 2021, 04:36:20 pm »
I think they’re releasing add ons to this game well into the new year (new modes, much needed patches etc) but nothing past that as far as I’m aware.

Unfortunately as a huge fan of the series in one guise or another for 20+ years (even won a major tournament in Manchester back in 06 on PES 5) this seemed like the last roll of the dice. They needed a six and got a one. I cannot seem how they recover from this

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: October 4, 2021, 07:51:48 pm »
Mad thing is they took a year off and claimed they were reworking a new next gen game on the Unreal Engine 5. We got this instead. What the fuck were they even doing in that time when they took a game that they had previous that wasn't too bad, and made it 10 times worse? They deserve to go bankrupt.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: October 4, 2021, 07:59:39 pm »
Mad thing is they took a year off and claimed they were reworking a new next gen game on the Unreal Engine 5. We got this instead. What the fuck were they even doing in that time when they took a game that they had previous that wasn't too bad, and made it 10 times worse? They deserve to go bankrupt.

I honestly thought they were cooking up something good with taking a year off. What a mess they made instead.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #573 on: October 5, 2021, 10:20:24 am »

This is the biggest frustration for me - they've shot themselves in the foot massively (even before anyone played the game, the method of release raised questions from the outset).

• PS2-gen: regarded as the best football title available
  • PS3-gen: first couple of releases were a disaster, alongside EA Sports getting their act together with FIFA
  • PS4-gen: handful of increasingly strong titles going some way to restoring the reputation, and at least 'rewarding' the loyalty of those who stuck with the series
  • PS5-gen: needed a simple release of a solid game in order to offer some reassurance that they know what they're doing.

At this stage - unless there's an impressive update due - I'm struggling to see how the series survives until the end of this current generation.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: October 5, 2021, 10:25:13 am »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #575 on: October 5, 2021, 10:29:48 am »
Late to the party on this, is this game the new PES?  Or just a watered down, free to play version with the actual new game coming later?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #576 on: October 5, 2021, 10:37:05 am »
It’s both. Somehow.
AHA!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #577 on: October 5, 2021, 10:37:50 am »

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #578 on: October 5, 2021, 10:40:06 am »
It’s remaining free to play, but the vast majority of additions haven’t yet been included and are being added as the year goes on. And you have to pay for some of this stuff, such as Master League.
AHA!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #579 on: October 5, 2021, 03:14:56 pm »
It’s remaining free to play, but the vast majority of additions haven’t yet been included and are being added as the year goes on. And you have to pay for some of this stuff, such as Master League.

Ah ok, so this game that's getting panned is still going to be the same engine as the main version when it's released?  That's not good.

Annoying, because PES has always felt so much more like football than FIFA has.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #580 on: October 5, 2021, 03:44:32 pm »
Same engine but it’s still got things like new player animations to be added.

What they’ve been working on for the last two years, to release without them from the get go, I’ve no idea.
AHA!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: October 5, 2021, 06:21:30 pm »
You know, I can see what they are doing. It's transparent and insidious as fuck. They shat this shell of a mess out, the base, bare-bones resemblance of a game. Stripped of everything, and all of it taken from the previous title. It's the bare fucking minimum effort and it's free. So their thinking is that the game will somehow hold up for what they've give (because it's free) and it'll rope more people into it because it's a FTP GAAS bollocks and it worked for shit like Fortnight. Their thinking is that because it's free, more people will be willing to download it and give it a try, in the hope that some might like it, or more so in terms of percentage vs those that pay 50 or 60 quid for PES proper every year. So their user base expands. Then that's where they think they'll get their hooks in by releasing incremental updates, and offering paid for packs via microtransactions. Eventually, the game will end up resembling something of a fleshed out product, but you'll have paid an exorbitant about for it. This on top of all the other cosmetic microtransactional bollocks they'll be doing, hoping to make more money for something in the long haul for the same amount of effort it took them to make a full game. It's the mobile phone market model of doing things, and if there's evidence of this needed, take a look at Apples recent profits from their online market recently. It exceeds that of even the so called "AAA" domain on consoles and PC's. It's no wonder games are fucking shit these days, and it'll only get worse once they double down and start chasing that gravy train even harder thanks to Apple's results.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #582 on: October 5, 2021, 08:00:43 pm »
They've gone from using the fox engine to unreal 4 and I can only assume it's because they also want to crossover with mobile and console/pc.

A shame really as PES2021 seemed like a decent game, aside from the collision system which really needed alot of work and the impact that had on refereeing decisions, but definitely something they could of kept refining.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #583 on: October 6, 2021, 12:17:49 am »
Fortnight.

Fortnite got popular because it was a genuinely fun game to play and was very addictive and stayed popular because it was the only game I know of where you could turn pro and not need to be part of an org or go to lans so it was a lot more viable for kids to get good at.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #584 on: October 7, 2021, 05:18:08 pm »
The funny thing is some PES fans are so bloody loyal, even now you hear some trying to eke out interest in the new title, trying to hope Konami will somehow fix it!

Anyway it is Game Over, and the shit show has been spectacular. Still, there is a guy called Adam Bhatti (who I met a few times back in the day) who went from running PES podcasts in its heyday to then working for Konami, and now having to defend this incomplete demo as if something of worth has been released. Sad for him, oh well that's life...
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: October 8, 2021, 10:51:26 pm »
Fortnite got popular because it was a genuinely fun game to play and was very addictive and stayed popular because it was the only game I know of where you could turn pro and not need to be part of an org or go to lans so it was a lot more viable for kids to get good at.
The point stands. They are all trying to capture lightening in a bottle, not once, twice, but multiple times. Fornite always came across to me for what it is: a glorified hodgepodge of a game that was neither here nor there design wise, aimed at kids for the mobile market. It struck gold because it had a barely acceptable hook to it, which is more than you get with most of these GAAS shite games with even a massive licence like Marvel attached to it.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #586 on: October 14, 2021, 03:18:30 am »
The point stands. They are all trying to capture lightening in a bottle, not once, twice, but multiple times. Fornite always came across to me for what it is: a glorified hodgepodge of a game that was neither here nor there design wise, aimed at kids for the mobile market. It struck gold because it had a barely acceptable hook to it, which is more than you get with most of these GAAS shite games with even a massive licence like Marvel attached to it.

I wish there was a game like fortnite around when I was a kid. I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing fifa which got me fuck all but at least with something like fortnite I would be capable of making money from home.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #587 on: October 26, 2021, 08:25:28 am »
I sprung a fiver for PESUniverse's latest database (competitions and kits for like every league)

well worth it

Where did you get it from mate? I can only see last year's on their website...
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #588 on: October 26, 2021, 09:11:17 pm »
Where did you get it from mate? I can only see last year's on their website...

It was in the silver hub, so fiver a year. Doesn't say outside of that annoyingly

their website is awkwards admittedly

I downloaded the 9.5 PS4/PS5 version (cause it's the same on PC!)

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #589 on: October 27, 2021, 01:08:03 am »
It was in the silver hub, so fiver a year. Doesn't say outside of that annoyingly

their website is awkwards admittedly

I downloaded the 9.5 PS4/PS5 version (cause it's the same on PC!)

Nice one mate, i'm all over that.
I can see a few folks in here saying they are switching to FIFA,but i just can't do it! PES diehard since 2001!

Give me new kits and up-to-date squads and i'll happily stay with PES2021, ta very much

Offline kj999

• Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #590 on: October 27, 2021, 01:11:28 am »
I see Shaq is still there in your screenshot though... are the squads not updated?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2021, 04:23:49 pm »
I see Shaq is still there in your screenshot though... are the squads not updated?

Konami mate, if you ordered a burger they've serve you a piece of crusty bread and tell you to wait for next year's update.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: October 28, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #593 on: October 28, 2021, 04:20:09 pm »
Haha fucking hell.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: October 28, 2021, 05:47:10 pm »

In PESUniverse Silver yeah it does, set my squad to the "default" now that data is in and it looks like this (ignore the name cut off on Bobby, they are scrolling!)

Ooof... good job you can edit these. Salah and Elliot need bumping for sure!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:48:58 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: October 29, 2021, 03:10:51 pm »
In PESUniverse Silver yeah it does, set my squad to the "default" now that data is in and it looks like this (ignore the name cut off on Bobby, they are scrolling!)

Ooof... good job you can edit these. Salah and Elliot need bumping for sure!
Harvey's a CB now?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: October 29, 2021, 06:57:01 pm »
Harvey's a CB now?

Apparently he's got some stats in that position!

This is the "best" lineup according to the game. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh might not go with that lineup meself!

Had to google Koumetio, shamefully

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #597 on: October 29, 2021, 11:55:11 pm »
Apparently he's got some stats in that position!

This is the "best" lineup according to the game. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh might not go with that lineup meself!

Had to google Koumetio, shamefully

It'll just be a quirk of how the file has been put together - Elliott will probably have been swapped back in to the squad in place of Kabak/Williams, and it's some sort of default setting.

Van Dijk, Matip/Konate, and Henderson come in in the game's interpretation of the 'best XI'. Plenty to have a dig at Konami about, but not that.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: November 5, 2021, 08:39:00 am »
Looks like this version is basically dead:

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: November 5, 2021, 08:55:36 am »
The only question is what were they thinking?