Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 313919 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #3120 on: January 23, 2022, 08:48:00 pm »
Anyone know what the first thing jwst is going to look at?

Space.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3121 on: January 23, 2022, 11:24:55 pm »
Anyone know what the first thing jwst is going to look at?

the past.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3122 on: January 24, 2022, 02:26:48 pm »
Is it going to be like June before they image anything though?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3123 on: January 24, 2022, 10:55:55 pm »
Is it going to be like June before they image anything though?
yeah takes time for the cooling ibelieve
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3124 on: January 25, 2022, 09:53:52 pm »
It has reached orbit!

Now they’ve got to speeds ages aligning the mirrors and switching on and testing the instruments.  1 million miles away.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: January 25, 2022, 11:40:31 pm »
So how does this halo orbit work ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: January 26, 2022, 09:52:30 am »
the past.

Further back in time than we have ever looked before. Its incredible really.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: January 26, 2022, 11:07:17 am »
Further back in time than we have ever looked before. Its incredible really.

First JWST image

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: January 26, 2022, 04:05:48 pm »
the past.

Yeah...buh ... Technically everything we are looking at up there is in the past! I hope I live long enough to see all light disappear from view in the universe. Wouldn't that be amazing.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3129 on: January 26, 2022, 04:22:33 pm »
So how does this halo orbit work ?
its some miracle of gravity really, it orbits in a circle at this lagrange point which basically keeps it on the dark side of the earth as the earth  orbits around the sun. It's mad really, there's various lagrange points, you pop an object there and it'll stay the same distance from the earth and sun.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3130 on: January 26, 2022, 07:26:15 pm »
its some miracle of gravity really, it orbits in a circle at this lagrange point which basically keeps it on the dark side of the earth as the earth  orbits around the sun. It's mad really, there's various lagrange points, you pop an object there and it'll stay the same distance from the earth and sun.
To expand on that, The Lagrange points are the gravity balance between the sun, the Earth, and the moon. There are five of them. If an object stays exactly at one of these points, the superposition of the pull forces of all three bodies is zero. But since you can't put an object's center of mass at an exact point, the spacecraft has to orbit the Lagrange point. Two of the points are of no interest for space work because they are unstable; a tiny deviation will force an object away. The other three (L1, L2, L3) are stable in one plane (a deviation causes an orbit like a satellite), unstable in the other (will push spacecraft axially away if drifted). L3 is behind the sun, and unless we want to see the sun only and not being able to communicate with the spacecraft, why go there? (That's where the aliens must hide! ;)) L1 is between the sun and Earth, and that's where solar observatories are placed in orbit. The Genesis spacecraft went there too. The L2 is on the opposite side, always in Earth's shadow, so it's perfect for observation of the rest of the universe. Once the spacecraft enters orbit there, it will be kept orbiting in the stable plane (no need for fuel for orbit correction as there is no atmospheric drag), and the corrections will be done for compensating for the unstable axial drift.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3131 on: January 31, 2022, 01:40:56 am »
thanks for that mate, lovely explanation

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3133 on: February 10, 2022, 07:06:47 am »
Starship has been lifted on to its booster by the chopsticks…

Amazing stuff, looks like a sci-fi  film.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:42:32 am by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: February 10, 2022, 08:42:46 am »
Stash has been lifted on to its booster by the chopsticks…

Wait! are you just putting random words together now?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3135 on: February 10, 2022, 09:42:48 am »
Wait! are you just putting random words together now?
;D. Bloody autocorrect
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3136 on: February 14, 2022, 07:57:09 pm »
https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

is still updating what is happening with Webb

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: February 14, 2022, 10:13:41 pm »
Has it got pictures of the Great Wall yet ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3138 on: February 14, 2022, 10:19:00 pm »
Starship environmental report delayed yet another month.  Now due 28th March.

If there’s anything to act on it could take a long long time
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: February 26, 2022, 12:54:04 pm »
I love SpaceX but that SLS is a fucking beast... further stacking underway last night with the connection of the Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter.

SLS Artemis 1 is now fully stacked. Whilst the launch date is expected to slip (again!) from May to sometime in summer, it's expected to be rolled out to the pad next month for testing before being wheeled back into the VAB.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3140 on: March 1, 2022, 12:22:27 pm »
Really bad news about the JWST :(

It's got to start realignment again after being hit by Kepa Arrizabalaga's penno
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: March 1, 2022, 12:25:49 pm »
God damn it man, don't do that. :D
Gave me a good scare.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3142 on: March 1, 2022, 01:12:14 pm »
God damn it man, don't do that. :D
Gave me a good scare.

:D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: March 20, 2022, 09:27:23 pm »
From about 7.35 in, SLS rollout

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gM5e7r6i8WE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gM5e7r6i8WE</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: April 30, 2022, 08:23:55 am »
Another deep space roundup from Scott Manley.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/8vaSdURvWx4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/8vaSdURvWx4</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3145 on: May 12, 2022, 02:33:51 pm »
First picture of Sagittarius A released!
The super-massive blackhole at the heart of the milky way.
Amazing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIQLA6lo6R0

Its just a pity we can't chuck Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson into it.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: May 13, 2022, 09:46:20 pm »
The Galactic Goatse.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3147 on: June 18, 2022, 06:07:04 pm »
People should catch Brian Coxs Seven days on Mars shown last night on BBC2 some amazing footage of the rover making a long journey in a week a lot of it driving itself making its way to the Delta where they hope to find sigbs of life.

I didnt realise they only thought the space helicopter would only last a few flights before packing in but its still going strong.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: June 18, 2022, 06:23:33 pm »
People should catch Brian Coxs Seven days on Mars shown last night on BBC2 some amazing footage of the rover making a long journey in a week a lot of it driving itself making its way to the Delta where they hope to find sigbs of life.

I didnt realise they only thought the space helicopter would only last a few flights before packing in but its still going strong.
Re: helicopter, that's a misconception, probably perpetuated by journalists. NASA has shifter toward operations that allow primary missions to carry technology demonstration along for a piggy-back ride. The rover had two of those - the helicopter and MOXIE. The technology demonstration mission have a low success bar; after all, they had to demonstrate that a helicopter could fly in atmosphere that has just 1/100th of the density of ours. That was planned in 4 flights, the first one of which was a "hop" - go up a meter, come back down. Then it was the lateral move forth and back, landing on the same spot, then flights with two more complex move maneuvers. At that point, after the fourth flight, the technology demonstration mission was over, hence no operational money. To move into an operations phase, a new budget was needed (and was approved). The helicopter is now being tested as a scout for the rover, which was the original intent all along. So, that's the discrepancy between the first 4 flights and the current total of 29.

Money often define how missions go. A few years ago, I posted my thoughts on why successful long-term missions harm JPL, however counterintuitive that may appear. The mission operations budget is taken out of technology development and future missions. Shame that there is no reward for demonstrating success...

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: June 18, 2022, 06:33:46 pm »
In other news, Voyager may be sadly approaching the end of its life... The Pu power source is producing barely 5W (yes, 5W!) and the voltage to the computer is not enough to maintain "1"s and "0"s. The computer is going berserk and I don't know if it is recoverable. Just think about the power though, 5W LED light bulb is equivalent to ~40W incandescent light bulb, 5W is the small incandescent light bulb in a flash light, 5W is the small iPhone USB charger...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: June 18, 2022, 07:57:45 pm »
In other news, Voyager may be sadly approaching the end of its life... The Pu power source is producing barely 5W (yes, 5W!) and the voltage to the computer is not enough to maintain "1"s and "0"s. The computer is going berserk and I don't know if it is recoverable. Just think about the power though, 5W LED light bulb is equivalent to ~40W incandescent light bulb, 5W is the small incandescent light bulb in a flash light, 5W is the small iPhone USB charger...
All Star Trek fans know how Voyager’s computer going haywire ends….!

What a journey though… what a journey
W

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: June 20, 2022, 08:42:05 am »
All Star Trek fans know how Voyager’s computer going haywire ends….!

What a journey though… what a journey

I see you also want to be one with the creator, V'ger.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: June 30, 2022, 08:54:00 pm »
The James Web space telescopes first images to be released on July 12th. Cant wait!!. a handful of images already taken (not shown yet). Scientists say one of them is the deepest photograph of the universe ever taken. Exciting stuff.

https://petapixel.com/2022/06/30/james-webbs-first-color-photos-will-also-be-farthest-ever-captured/

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: June 30, 2022, 11:53:50 pm »
The James Web space telescopes first images to be released on July 12th. Cant wait!!. a handful of images already taken (not shown yet). Scientists say one of them is the deepest photograph of the universe ever taken. Exciting stuff.

https://petapixel.com/2022/06/30/james-webbs-first-color-photos-will-also-be-farthest-ever-captured/

"Farthest ever captured", do they mean by a telescope? There are plenty of spacecraft that captured color pictures of planets much farther away than the Lagrange point.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: July 2, 2022, 03:36:31 pm »
"Farthest ever captured", do they mean by a telescope? There are plenty of spacecraft that captured color pictures of planets much farther away than the Lagrange point.

Not planets. Light. In infrared. yeah JWST. Did you read the article? Just wondering as your a more than decent contributor to the thread. The first handful of data, gives us images of objects in deep space previously we have been unable to detect.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: July 3, 2022, 09:05:39 am »

They will be celebrating this throughout Northern Ireland with a series of parades and bonfires.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3156 on: July 8, 2022, 05:23:48 pm »
And one of them is a gas planet.

Target(s) acquired! 

The targets of Webb’s first images have been announced: https://t.co/6BNlHANxTd

✨ SMACS 0723

✨ WASP-96b

✨ Southern Ring Nebula

✨ Stephan’s Quintet

✨ Carina Nebula

Tune in July 12 as we reveal Webb’s first images & #UnfoldTheUniverse. https://t.co/TLP2LenkPF

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: July 11, 2022, 10:13:17 pm »
First image preview from the white house in 20 minutes

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: July 11, 2022, 10:15:36 pm »
Just read this thread. Wow. Like to see what is released of these images.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3159 on: July 11, 2022, 11:16:11 pm »
It's just started