Author Topic: Wasn't Turkey's 2nd goal vs Brazil offside?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Wasn't Turkey's 2nd goal vs Brazil offside?
« on: June 24, 2003, 12:24:03 am »
Have you seen the goal from Confederations Cup? Turkey's 2nd against Brazil, wasn't it offside? I don't mean at the halfway line, but when the ball was played forward in the box. If you have two players against the goalie, I've always thought you need to pass the ball backwards to avoid the offside. Help please!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Wasn't Turkey's 2nd goal vs Brazil offside?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 01:09:39 am »
Missed the highlights.  I'll look at it when it comes on in a few hours.
Blame Canada!

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 01:11:21 am »
Haven't seen the goal, but yes the player with the ball would either have to take it himself, or pass either sideways or backwards to avoid his team-mate being given offside.

Perhaps the officials daren't disallow the goal for fear of a riot?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 02:02:23 am »
I thought it looked all wrong. Not that I mind. Thought it was great that Brazil didn't make it. :D

And the riot... they came on the pitch after the goal anyway.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 08:53:48 am »
Only saw it once or twice, but I thought the same. The player who ended up putting the ball in the back of the net seemed to be in front of the player that passed to him.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 11:35:56 am »
I thought it looked all wrong. Not that I mind. Thought it was great that Brazil didn't make it. :D

I would rather watch France v Brasil than France v Turkey though.
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.