Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1833384 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34440 on: April 8, 2019, 09:29:01 pm »
Just back from Mallorca Jules.really is Cycling paradise, weather has been fantastic, hundreds of cyclists in our hotel in Puerto Pollensa, thousands on roads, loads in mountains everywhere you go, car drivers brilliant, smooth roads and totally unbelievable scenery, watching eagles soaring on the thermals . Fist ride cap formentera, 40 mile ride 3000ft climbing and brilliant to get started next 80 miles to Soller,8000ft of climbing mountain roads,28 miles 5% climb to get started and a knackering day. Few easy flat coastals for lunch then Sa Colabra, no wonder its iconic, you need to do that 28 mile climb to get to the start ofthe road then you ride up to the start and look down 10 kilometres of switchbacks, unbelievable scenary, and you have to ride down to the bottom of what seems unending twists and turns, over 50 of them knowing you have to ride back up, mental torture., No way out bar a ferry that takes you to Soller.  2000feet of descent in 10/11 kilometres. Best ride I've done ever, painful hard but elated when I reached the top again, 60 miles nearly 6000 ft ofclimbing, nothing like it check it out on you tube for a flavour. We're deffobacknext year, all of us buzzing
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34441 on: April 8, 2019, 10:05:44 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it Albie. :)

My mate has just done the same rides. He keeps telling me to go, but its not for me at the moment. Maybe some other year.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34442 on: April 13, 2019, 03:19:37 pm »
Doing the Paris Roubaix challenge a week on Saturday for the first time, not concerned about the milage but the cobbles are starting to worry me as you can't really practice them :D

Hopefully my bike makes it through as it's taken a beating over the last few years so it's time for it to become the winter bike - anyone seen any good deals for around the 2k mark? Ideally something with more of an endurance geometry as I don't bother racing and have no plans to.

Jesus, my hands are well and truly shook! Managed to get round the 145km course in 5 hours 30 mins which I'm fairly pleased with considering the bone crushing pave 😂

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #34443 on: April 14, 2019, 02:41:45 pm »
Nice one WC

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34444 on: April 19, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »
I hope you are all in shorts! ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34445 on: April 20, 2019, 12:42:15 pm »
I hope you are all in shorts! ;D
Have been for weeks.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34446 on: April 20, 2019, 02:39:20 pm »
Have been for weeks.

;D

I have been all winter, but now I've finally stopped getting stick for it. ;D

Its roasting here, too bad I've not got summer fitness yet, would be great for proper long days out.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34447 on: April 22, 2019, 04:10:30 pm »
Out round some of the Amstel Gold Race roads this morning.

Great weather for it and there was loads out,even seen a few of the pro teams on recovery rides.,although didn't recognise anyone...

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34448 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:23 pm »
Came off yesterday on a bend, car taking bend too wide forced me to ride into gravel while having to turn, lost front wheel ended up with gravel rash shoulders, elbow and ankle, heamatoma on hip, concussion and today whiplash, thankfully no broken bones, but having helmet on meant no cuts to head and face, even though I temporarily lost memory, at least I've got something in common with Mo Salah. Apparently Driver stopped and offered to take me to hospital but I was talking broken biscuits and ended up crawling home on bike 20 miles, although by night-time I couldn't walk, much better today but feel like I've done ten rounds with Tyson.

Helmets don't help if you hit a car but yesterday prevented any outward damage to my head despite short term memory loss think I might get one of those new ones with crumple zones

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34449 on: May 15, 2019, 07:49:21 pm »
Sorry to hear that Albie speedy recovery.

As it happens I had a spill yesterday as well,promise you won't laugh and I'll tell you...

Almost home from my ride and I was going past some road works,there was a small gap so I un-clipped one foot and edged my way through, as i came out I accidentally touched my brake lever and with having Di2 I changed to the big ring and the bike locked, as my other foot was still clicked in I took a dive,grazed knee and a dozen workmen pissing themselves...   

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34450 on: May 15, 2019, 09:38:30 pm »
Cheers Tony, sounds a bit embarrassing but how do you find Di2 electronic shifting generally? I haven't tried it

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34451 on: May 15, 2019, 10:38:19 pm »
Cheers Tony, sounds a bit embarrassing but how do you find Di2 electronic shifting generally? I haven't tried it

Best upgrade I ever made on a bike,no more messing around with adjustments and smooth gear change every time.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34452 on: May 16, 2019, 08:04:16 am »
Get well soon Albie! Sounds like a dickhead, overtaking like that. ::) At least he stopped.

Mad what head injuries do though, sounds like you managed to talk your way out of the trip to hospital, even though you can't remember any of it.

Before you get a new helmet, read something yesterday on road.cc about tests the university of Virginia had carried out, in which Lazar's mips helmet still did better than Bontrager's wavecell (or whatever its called). At half the price.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:08:54 am by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34453 on: May 16, 2019, 08:06:03 am »
Best upgrade I ever made on a bike,no more messing around with adjustments and smooth gear change every time.
...unless it jams when you're only half clipped in :P

Hope you're ok!

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34454 on: May 16, 2019, 09:05:09 am »
Before you get a new helmet, read something yesterday on road.cc about tests the university of Virginia had carried out, in which Lazar's mips helmet still did better than Bontrager's wavecell (or whatever its called). At half the price.
I Read that Jules. Bontranger countered arguing that the test is really specific not reflecting anatomy etc. Concussion is the brain accelerating against skull  so common sense can see how crumple zones work but comparative scientific research isn’t there yet. So I’m stuck with the marketing and the need for a new helmet, in the past looks were my main concern but having suffered a day where my brain felt mushed safety is my new goal just seen helmets my Smith Optics that have crumple zone and mips. Of to look at reviews

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34455 on: May 16, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »
I Read that Jules. Bontranger countered arguing that the test is really specific not reflecting anatomy etc. Concussion is the brain accelerating against skull  so common sense can see how crumple zones work but comparative scientific research isn’t there yet. So I’m stuck with the marketing and the need for a new helmet, in the past looks were my main concern but having suffered a day where my brain felt mushed safety is my new goal just seen helmets my Smith Optics that have crumple zone and mips. Of to look at reviews

Sweet, let us know what you find. :)
The Endura ones with Kryon? might also be worth looking at.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34456 on: May 16, 2019, 02:44:48 pm »
...unless it jams when you're only half clipped in :P

Hope you're ok!
lol

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34457 on: May 16, 2019, 02:47:54 pm »
Seems like I'll be back to commuting to work on my bike shortly.I was getting a bit fed up and a little lost on early retirement so,if I pass my medical and "English" test I'll be starting a new job.

The route is almost identical to the one I did for 15 years,just 5km further...

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34458 on: May 16, 2019, 10:45:33 pm »
Seems like I'll be back to commuting to work on my bike shortly.I was getting a bit fed up and a little lost on early retirement so,if I pass my medical and "English" test I'll be starting a new job.

The route is almost identical to the one I did for 15 years,just 5km further...

Great news, good luck!

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34459 on: May 21, 2019, 10:21:54 pm »
Sorry to read about your crash Albie a few weeks late
Hope you’re healing ok
Enjoy the new job Tony

Conundrum time
So...my father in law has just been prescribed for his various ailments...EPO
Been taught by the nurse to self inject

Tempted to “borrow” some
+6 ticket exchange

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34460 on: May 22, 2019, 12:05:19 am »
Sorry to read about your crash Albie a few weeks late
Hope you’re healing ok
Enjoy the new job Tony

Conundrum time
So...my father in law has just been prescribed for his various ailments...EPO
Been taught by the nurse to self inject

Tempted to “borrow” some
Need to get the Ride London place through first G. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34461 on: May 22, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »
:lmao

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34462 on: May 22, 2019, 02:17:16 pm »
So got my medical on Tuesday morning,my lad is getting married this weekend and I have family over,I'm not having a drink at the wedding on Saturday,except for the toast, but I was going to have a few beers on Sunday with my family.How long does it take for the alcohol to leave no trace in the blood and or Piss?

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34463 on: May 22, 2019, 09:26:53 pm »
Need to get the Ride London place through first G. ;D
Tell you what Madrid ballot results day was  like Ride London day in our house :P
+6 ticket exchange

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34464 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:26 pm »
So got my medical on Tuesday morning,my lad is getting married this weekend and I have family over,I'm not having a drink at the wedding on Saturday,except for the toast, but I was going to have a few beers on Sunday with my family.How long does it take for the alcohol to leave no trace in the blood and or Piss?
Internet says up to 72 hours in pee and blood but depends on your size and metabolism
90 days in hair though
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34465 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:57 pm »
Internet says up to 72 hours in pee and blood but depends on your size and metabolism
90 days in hair though
Well I'm OK on the hair side,unless they take it from my nose or ears...

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34466 on: May 22, 2019, 10:59:48 pm »
Tell you what Madrid ballot results day was  like Ride London day in our house :P

At least you have plenty of experience in dealing with rejection. :P

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34467 on: May 24, 2019, 08:25:37 pm »
I feel your pain 0 out of 4...
:(
I'm holding out hope that my contacts in the hashtag football family will come in...but been hard as anything this year even to shake anything under 4k quotes from those sources

I'm a pretty regular user of the city hire bikes in London - buy a yearly £90 subscription and as many sub 30 minute journey as you like
Might have to rethink for next year as Uber dropped their new hire e-bikes today
Had to have a go - amazing - cost £1 for 5 mins and 12p per minute after that
My trip to a meet today took me 8 mins on the regular Sanatander one and on the way back I was flying along with the motor help and got back in under 5!
So much fun e-bikes - I'm almost wioating for my knees to give in so I have to buy one ;D
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34468 on: May 24, 2019, 11:05:19 pm »
Out of interest what is the attitude of your family members with regards to you being a cyclist?

As you know I live in Belgium so its sort of standard that 90% go out "fietsen"

Got my son's wedding this weekend so have family from the UK here.

Had one nephew "trying" to take the piss out of me about my cycling,his brother,my Godson, did put him in his place and said I'd beat the two of them in a race any day...

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34469 on: May 26, 2019, 10:29:46 am »
For anyone who doesn't know and who may be interested those crappy Mobikes are no longer in Newcastle/Gateshead and good riddence to them I say.

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if there were propper stations for them but it always irritated me seeing them dumped all over the place.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/how-cyclists-reacted-mobikes-newcastle-16206172

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34470 on: July 13, 2019, 09:28:34 pm »
Started back working last month,after a 4 year break, so back to doing a 25k commute to work...

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34471 on: July 14, 2019, 08:58:29 am »
Started back working last month,after a 4 year break, so back to doing a 25k commute to work...

How's it going? Happy back working, or are you ready to chuck it back in?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34472 on: July 14, 2019, 08:59:51 am »
...meanwhile, in Britain, cyclists are now "the scourge of our streets"

Can't describe how fucking angry the attitude in this country makes me :no

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34473 on: July 14, 2019, 01:26:52 pm »
...meanwhile, in Britain, cyclists are now "the scourge of our streets"

Can't describe how fucking angry the attitude in this country makes me :no
Mental isn’t it
Me and of few mates went over to Brussels for the grand depart. Spent the weekend scooting about the city on hire bikes and e scooters
It’s the attitude of other road users, including pedestrians that’s so refreshing
Because everyone else is accepting of the fact you’re  cycling though there’s no aggression towards you

We have to change non cyclists attitudes here
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34474 on: July 14, 2019, 09:48:27 pm »
How's it going? Happy back working, or are you ready to chuck it back in?
Best decision I've made in years.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34475 on: July 15, 2019, 10:24:19 am »
Best decision I've made in years.

Good to hear. :)
Its good when it gets you out of the house, meet some other people and generally just do something.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34476 on: July 15, 2019, 10:26:22 am »
Mental isn’t it
Me and of few mates went over to Brussels for the grand depart. Spent the weekend scooting about the city on hire bikes and e scooters
It’s the attitude of other road users, including pedestrians that’s so refreshing
Because everyone else is accepting of the fact you’re  cycling though there’s no aggression towards you

We have to change non cyclists attitudes here

Yep, thats it for me, its the attitude of non-cyclists. At best they think you're a bit weird for riding a bike and need looking after. At worst, they're actively trying to run you off the streets. It should just be normal to ride a bike, when everyone is doing it, attitudes will change.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34477 on: August 10, 2019, 09:26:01 am »
Any of you got an indoor trainer?

I'm thinking of getting a Wahoo Kickr Core but would be interested if other recommendations...

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #34478 on: August 29, 2019, 04:53:17 pm »
Looking to go tubeless. Anyone done so recently? Did you buy the inflator and is it useful post initial set up? Most prices all seem reasonable to me but having to purchase another track pump specifically needed for set up is bugging me. One thing is the cost, as they're not that cheap, the other is it getting used more than once in a long while?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34479 on: August 31, 2019, 09:39:09 am »
Looking to go tubeless. Anyone done so recently? Did you buy the inflator and is it useful post initial set up? Most prices all seem reasonable to me but having to purchase another track pump specifically needed for set up is bugging me. One thing is the cost, as they're not that cheap, the other is it getting used more than once in a long while?

I've got a pump with a tank, or you can get a seperate tank (airshot). Deffo useful! Depending on the tyre/rim combination, you can get them seated using a normal track pump, but it's a lot of work. You could also get a bike shop to do it for you, or if you have he right valve adapter, a garage.

Usually you won't need to take the tyre off again until its worn down (or you get a big hole or slashed tyre). You need to top up the sealant 1-2 times a year (in UK climate), but you do that through the valve, after taking the valve core out.

When first putting tubeless tyres on:
Make sure the rim and the rim tape is tubeless ready, the tape is in good condition and you've installed the tubeless valves.
Put the tyre on as normal.
Take the valve core out and pump the tyre up until it pings on the rim. You should hear it actually ping. Check all around that it's seated properly and fully on both sides. It should hold air for a bit.
Let the air out again (disconnect the pump), put the sealant in through the valve outer, put the valve core in again and inflate to about desired pressure.
Spin the wheel, shake it and distribute the sealant.

I usually find that it'll leak air a bit, but go for a short ride and top it back up and it should be fine.

Oh, if the tyre won't get seated, try lubricating the rim inside with some soap.