Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 339297 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: The 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #1320 on: October 23, 2016, 07:19:48 pm »
Arthur Ridley, who played Private Godfrey in Dad's Army, saw active service with the Somerset Light Infantry in World War 1 including fighting on the Somme where his left arm was badly damaged. He also received serious injuries to his legs and suffered blackouts throughout his life because of a blow to the head from a German rifle butt. He was also recommended for a Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery. He rejoined the Army for World War 2 and was made a Major and saw active service with the British Expeditionary Force in France at the beginning of the war before being discharged because of the legacy of his wounds.

You wouldn't expect that from the old fella in Dad's Army, would you?

He was also a successful song writer who lost all of his money in a con and went on to Dad's Army to make a living.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1321 on: October 24, 2016, 08:41:07 am »
What about Jaffa Cakes though?
What are they, cakes or biscuit's?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1322 on: October 24, 2016, 09:12:52 am »
What are they, cakes or biscuit's?

Cake.

Categorisation as cake or biscuit for VAT

In the United Kingdom, value added tax is payable on chocolate-covered biscuits, but not on chocolate-covered cakes. McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes at a VAT tribunal in 1991, against the ruling that Jaffa Cakes were biscuits due to their size and shape, and the fact that they were often eaten in place of biscuits. McVities insisted that the product was a cake, and allegedly produced a giant Jaffa Cake in court to illustrate its point. The product was assessed on the following criteria:
>The product's name was regarded as a minor consideration.
>The ingredients were regarded as similar to those of a cake, producing a thin cake-like batter rather than the thick dough of a biscuit.
>The product's texture was regarded as being that of a sponge cake.
>The product hardens when stale, in the manner of a cake.
>A substantial part of the Jaffa Cake, in terms of bulk and texture, is sponge.
>In size, the Jaffa Cake is more like a biscuit than a cake.
>The product was generally displayed for sale alongside other biscuits, rather than with cakes.
>The product is presented as a snack and eaten with the fingers, like a biscuit, rather than with a fork as a cake might be. The tribunal also considered that children would eat them in "a few mouthfuls", in the manner of a sweet.

The court found in favour of McVities and ruled that the product should be considered a cake, meaning that VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the United Kingdom.

In Ireland, Jaffa Cakes are regarded as cakes by Revenue as their moisture content is greater than 12%. As a result, they are charged the reduced rate of VAT (13.5% as of 2016).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes#Categorisation_as_cake_or_biscuit_for_VAT
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #1323 on: October 24, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »
Nena has never sung '99 red balloons' live in English as they don't like that version so only sing the German version '99 Luftballons' when they perform
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Kenneth the Messiah

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1324 on: October 24, 2016, 05:33:08 pm »
Found out on a trip through Lichtenstein that they are the largest producer of false teeth ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1325 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:49 pm »
Found out on a trip through Lichtenstein that they are the largest producer of false teeth ;D

That's common knowledge,  denture know anything?

Offline Kenneth the Messiah

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1326 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:28 pm »
That's common knowledge,  denture know anything?
Wasn't braced for that...

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1327 on: October 24, 2016, 09:50:37 pm »
Wasn't braced for that...
Filling gaps in your knowledge for years... that's RAWK.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1328 on: November 2, 2016, 12:30:59 am »
Female kangaroos have three vaginas.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1329 on: November 2, 2016, 12:05:28 pm »
Nena has never sung '99 red balloons' live in English as they don't like that version so only sing the German version '99 Luftballons' when they perform

It is better in the German.

But I have seen a recorded (music video I believe) where they sing the English version and there are people about...
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1330 on: November 3, 2016, 10:16:14 am »

And two uteruses (uteri?). So they can be constantly pregnant. Fascinating adaptation.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1331 on: November 3, 2016, 10:17:04 am »
And two uteruses (uteri?). So they can be constantly pregnant. Fascinating adaptation.

So where does the third vagina lead?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1332 on: November 3, 2016, 10:18:48 am »
So i guess they get fucked left right and centre?
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1333 on: November 3, 2016, 10:33:18 am »
So i guess they get fucked left right and centre?

;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1334 on: November 3, 2016, 12:15:02 pm »
Narnia

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1335 on: November 3, 2016, 12:19:59 pm »
Not much room for error there

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1336 on: November 3, 2016, 02:03:32 pm »

Shhh.. Dont let Donald Trump know about this.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1338 on: November 7, 2016, 02:54:34 am »
That sloths can swim.
choose Life.

Offline Beard

• Main Stander
« Reply #1339 on: November 7, 2016, 04:00:29 pm »
Butterflies taste with their feet

I kew that becuase the Wiggles sing about it in one of their songs.

Also in that song I learned elephants are rhe only animals with 4 knees and snails can sleep for 3 years.

The Wiggles, fun and educational.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1340 on: November 7, 2016, 04:14:12 pm »
I kew that becuase the Wiggles sing about it in one of their songs.

Also in that song I learned elephants are rhe only animals with 4 knees and snails can sleep for 3 years.

The Wiggles, fun and educational.
Elephants only have 2 knees, the front "knees" are actually wrists.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1341 on: November 8, 2016, 09:08:14 am »
Elephants only have 2 knees, the front "knees" are actually wrists.

Wouldn't they be elbows rather than wrists? Wrists map to ankles.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1342 on: November 8, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
Wouldn't they be elbows rather than wrists? Wrists map to ankles.
Not sure myself, but ...
http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=8416
"Elephants, like all tetrapods, only have two knees (i.e. joints of the hindlimb that bend forwards). They have joints in their forelimbs that bend backwards, but those are the equivalent of our wrist joints"
There's a nice link to an elephant skeleton picture on that page too ...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1343 on: November 8, 2016, 01:01:45 pm »

The central one delivers the baby and the two others allow for sperm to fertilise eggs so that there's always an embryo ready.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1344 on: November 8, 2016, 01:08:16 pm »
Every single human outside of Africa is related to one African woman who left the continent 40,000 years ago

Offline Beard

• Main Stander
« Reply #1345 on: November 8, 2016, 01:37:14 pm »
Every single human outside of Africa is related to one African woman who left the continent 40,000 years ago
Wizards sleeve

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1346 on: November 8, 2016, 01:48:24 pm »

Your time line is out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1347 on: November 8, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »
Your time line is out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
Yeah correct, 40,000 years ago to when humans first arrived in Europe, 70,000 when they left Africa for the Levant. I was being Eurocentric.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1348 on: November 8, 2016, 02:52:55 pm »
Yeah correct, 40,000 years ago to when humans first arrived in Europe, 70,000 when they left Africa for the Levant. I was being Eurocentric.

Fucking immigrants.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1349 on: November 8, 2016, 03:23:35 pm »
Fucking immigrants.
The Neanderthals had a point. Homosapien ability to unite over large distances through a shared culture of music and art drove Europe's original settlers to extinction. Neanderthals had better tools and their brains were bigger but they operated in small groups and were more aloof. Where as we interacted with each other all over Europe. We succeeded on this continent through partnership, oh the irony.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1350 on: November 8, 2016, 04:07:34 pm »
The Neanderthals had a point. Homosapien ability to unite over large distances through a shared culture of music and art drove Europe's original settlers to extinction. Neanderthals had better tools and their brains were bigger but they operated in small groups and were more aloof. Where as we interacted with each other all over Europe. We succeeded on this continent through partnership, oh the irony.

This isn't thought to be entirely true anymore ' genetic studues have shown that sapiens and neanderthals mixed, and a lot of us carry genetic markers of both.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1351 on: November 8, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »

This isn't thought to be entirely true anymore ' genetic studues have shown that sapiens and neanderthals mixed, and a lot of us carry genetic markers of both.
Yeah we did mix, Europeans have between 1% and 5% Neanderthal DNA. They still went instinct after being pushed across Europe to their final settlements in Gibraltar where it's believed they died out because of low birth rate brought about by dwindling numbers, a lot like Panda's for instance.

We didn't breed them from existence, would you shag a Neanderthal? I know it was the stoneage but they probably had standards too.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: November 8, 2016, 04:54:06 pm »
We didn't breed them from existence, would you shag a Neanderthal? I know it was the stoneage but they probably had standards too.

Have you seen town on a Saturday night after payday? It's still going on ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1353 on: November 8, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »
Yeah we did mix, Europeans have between 1% and 5% Neanderthal DNA. They still went instinct after being pushed across Europe to their final settlements in Gibraltar where it's believed they died out because of low birth rate brought about by dwindling numbers, a lot like Panda's for instance.

I think current thinking is that we just absorbed their populations rather than driving them to extinction. They're still here. They're us. 5% of your DNA is a big old chunk. That didn't get there from just a one-off knee-trembler on the mammoth hide rug. That suggests generations of inter-breeding went on, although we have no idea if that was consensual or some kind of ritual sex-slavery going on.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1354 on: November 8, 2016, 05:55:56 pm »
I think current thinking is that we just absorbed their populations rather than driving them to extinction. They're still here. They're us. 5% of your DNA is a big old chunk. That didn't get there from just a one-off knee-trembler on the mammoth hide rug. That suggests generations of inter-breeding went on, although we have no idea if that was consensual or some kind of ritual sex-slavery going on.
I'm going on what the BBC4 documentary told me last week! Let's just say there are a number of theories. My gut feeling is I side with the experts who believe mating with Neanderthal's was rare, basically because they are so unattractive to us, we have the same hard-wiring as early man after all. Although Sam makes a good case for their genome being strong still to this day.   

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: November 8, 2016, 05:59:45 pm »
I'm going on what the BBC4 documentary told me last week! Let's just say there are a number of theories. My gut feeling is I side with the experts who believe mating with Neanderthal's was rare, basically because they are so unattractive to us, we have the same hard-wiring as early man after all. Although Sam makes a good case for their genome being strong still to this day.

"We" might not have had much say in it. :/

And typical Homo Sapiens from 60,000 years ago probably weren't exactly Bond girls, either.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1356 on: November 8, 2016, 06:06:36 pm »
What about the Denisovans? We know about the Neanderthals because they left physical evidence but there could be other hominid species that we simply don't know about.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160328133514.htm
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1357 on: November 14, 2016, 03:31:58 pm »
You're forgetting about stone age beer goggles.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1358 on: November 14, 2016, 03:43:59 pm »
You're forgetting about stone age beer goggles.
Poison froggles?
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1359 on: November 14, 2016, 04:47:22 pm »

I've been to Kerry many times.  It's pretty obvious there was cross-breeding with neanderthals going on.

Speaking of which, I got to meet Danny Healy Rae last week.  Good times.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75