Author Topic: Learning a new language.  (Read 26420 times)

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
Learning a new language.
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:45:30 am »
OK, I want to learn a new language and I was just wondering what would be the easiest to learn. I did French in school but I can't remember much of what I learned.

I presume French, Spanish, German and Italian are the easiest because these are the ones you learn in school.

So, my question is which one of these 4 would be the easiest to learn?

Thanks for any help you give.  :wave
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
Re: Learning a new language.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:46:36 am »
Spanish is the easiest I'd say
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:32 am »
in general, the words are pronounced as they are spelt............if that makes sense
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:50:19 am »
in general, the words are pronounced as they are spelt............if that makes sense
Yeah makes sense.  It must also be one of the most widely used in the world given that is the mother tongue of Central and S. America. (Bar Brazil)
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:56:10 am »
Learn, Mandarin or Finnish or Japanese....

Those are my recommendations.  :wave
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:59:47 am »
Learn, Mandarin or Finnish or Japanese....

Those are my recommendations.  :wave
Yeah right.  :P
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:00:34 am »
Yeah right.  :P
  Giving up already?  ::)

:P
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 01:10:00 am »
I speak French quite well but wish I had taken Spanish at this point. Saying hola in a sexy voice beats bonjour by a mile :P
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline OOT'erConnie

• ...but I'm alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:34:34 am »
If you learn chinese you can get free food at the chippy. My mate does it all the time. No lie.

Offline Tom Illi

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 01:43:53 am »
I personally found German much easier to learn than French, as there aren't so many random exceptions to the rules.

As long as you get a grip of the word order and basic structures, you'll find it simple and enjoy learning  :wave

Offline pinkdragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:19 am »
Learning Spanish (Spain) using the Rosetta Stone. Very easy so far.
My love. My passion. My life. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:23:48 am »
Learn Spanish, it's brilliant and probably the easiest to learn of the Romance languages.

After that, should you still want to learn more, you will be able to make the transition to Italian reasonably easily, and French with a bit more effort.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:58:43 am »
Spanish is the easiest by a mile I reckon. I've tried Hindi and Mandarin too (only for a few months each mind)....Hindi is surprisingly easy, but Mandarin is completely impossible!
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 07:05:32 am »
depend how far you wanna learn them, coz if you want to pull your hairs, stab the teacher, eliminate a whole nation.....then learn german with all its magnificent, not, confusing grammar 
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 07:06:56 am »
Learn Spanish, it's brilliant and probably the easiest to learn of the Romance languages.

After that, should you still want to learn more, you will be able to make the transition to Italian reasonably easily, and French with a bit more effort.

Hi mate, I am quite fluent in Italian. Do you think it can help me in spanish or it can work only the other way round? cheers

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:18 am »
Football speak is easiest.

I'll set my stall out early doors and say me and the lads have gone up there hoping to nick a result at the end of the day and we've been lucky enough to have gone and done it.  The gaffer will be well pleased with all our efforts and hopefully with a few back to back wins, we'll start going the right way up the table. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 08:34:43 am »
1. How easy a language is depends on which languages you're already used to and how adaptable you are to new concepts.

2. Everybody has language skills as we all learn at least one. In many parts of the world relatively uneducated people speak two. The main skill is to be open-minded.

3. You have to be able to accept strange concepts like objects having genders and different tenses (eg, subjunctive) without saying "that's stupid". English has "stupid" things too.

4. If you're really open-minded you might be able to accept concepts like pitch being important or squiggly writing going backwards - or down the page...

5. For most Europeans, Spanish is relatively easy as a beginner but more difficult at an advanced stage. It's fairly regular, is pronounced as written and has many concepts you'll have come across in other Latin-based languages like French.

6. It's spoken by a large number of people, particularly in Latin-America. For work, I think languages like Mandarin and Arabic are useful - but they do require getting your head around new ways of thinking.

Hi mate, I am quite fluent in Italian. Do you think it can help me in spanish or it can work only the other way round? cheers

A knowledge of Italian will certainly help you learn Spanish and any other Romance language, like Portuguese. It is the cornerstone of these languages. The main problem is that they are structurally so similar that you can only speak one properly at a time. I've even known Portuguese people start tripping up in their own language after a trip to Spain!

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:55 am »

I think it would definetly help mate, the structure of the two is very similar. I read somewhere that they were "70% similar", whatever that means.

I've spent the last year learning portuguese and now find spanish very easy to read, but with itallian I can only get the gyst. Thought this was interesting anyway:

comparison of romance languages from wikipedia:
    She always closes the window before having dinner. (English)
    Ea semper fenestram claudit antequam cenet. (Latin)
    Ea închide întotdeauna fereastra înainte de a cina. (Romanian)
    Ella chiude sempre la finestra prima di cenare. (Italian)
    Elle ferme toujours la fenêtre avant de dîner. (French)
    Ella siempre cierra la ventana antes de cenar. (Spanish)
    Ela fecha sempre a janela antes de jantar. (Portuguese)
    Idda sempri chiudi la finestra àntica cina. (Sicilian)
    Ella tanca sempre la finestra abans de sopar. (Catalan)

Anyway back on topic.. I would learn spanish if I were you. It's very widely spoken so it's a useful skill to have... and if you by chance happen to bump into Rafa and the lads you can show off your skills
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:42:50 am by Slick_Beef »

Offline Liiya

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:28 am »
I think French is quiet difficult for foreigner imo. Most of the people I know who's picked french in school dropped it after 2 -3 years. I think there's too much exceptions in the language especially with "le, la, les" which could stand for "the" as in "the window = La fenêtre, the book = le livre"...etc.
I think you should choose Spanish, it's much easier than French but the accents have always been a pain in the ass for me. Don't know about Italian but German appears to be the closest to English.

I've also taken Japanese last year but the teacher was awful and i couldn't bear her stories anymore (I've learnt socks' history, wtf?) so i stopped after a year. But Japanese is pretty easy imo, you just have to learn the alphabet (it takes max. 1 month to catch Hiraganas and Katakanas), some vocabulary and particles. Then the phrases' structures which is to me, the hardest part if you don't understand some words. Numbers are also hard to learn at first, since there are different ways of pronounciation whether you talk about the day, the month, the year, the time, your age...etc. But if you're really interested in Japanese culture, then it can't be too hard. I've personnally never been keen on mangas and animes unlike my mates who are almost fluent now.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 09:47:02 am »
I'd say Italian was the easiest I've learnt (not fluent, like, but just bits) - prefer it to Spanish though they're very similar.

Arabic is by far the hardest I've tried (and I did a year of Japanese at uni).

Offline Liiya

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 09:49:01 am »
Is Arabic harder than Chinese?

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:13 am »
Not tried any Chinese languages. Also think I might find Italian so easy because I speak French and did Latin for 3 years. Those don't help so much with Arabic ;)

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:56:31 am »
Arabic is easy! It's the damn english that's hard ;)
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 10:00:40 am »
If you would like a sampler try:

http://www.my-language.com/apps/trial/index.php

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 10:01:13 am »
Don't bother learning a new language, wait a few years and everyone else will have been forced to learn English so they can do business!  Learing their languages will only slow down the rate at which they catch up to us.  Therefore, you learning a new language is counter-productive to both you and them! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Liiya

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 10:02:34 am »
Don't bother learning a new language, wait a few years and everyone else will have been forced to learn English so they can do business!  Learing their languages will only slow down the rate at which they catch up to us! 

In a few years Mandarin and Arabic are going to take over the world ;)
As is Japanese :)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:17 am »
Don't bother learning a new language, wait a few years and everyone else will have been forced to learn English so they can do business!  Learing their languages will only slow down the rate at which they catch up to us.  Therefore, you learning a new language is counter-productive to both you and them! 

Don't forget that all of those Johnny Foreigners understand English if you say it loudly and slowly enough.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 10:04:29 am »
Spoken arabic is a hell of a lot easier mind, if I taught you all the Egyptian arabic you'd catch on in no time.

I can see how reading and understanding what you're reading's a bit of a bitch if you're not mother tongue

Offline Walking Through A Storm

• Kopite
  • Forward the Rafalution!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 10:12:35 am »
I hated French, but find German very easy.

Offline Tom Illi

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 10:14:51 am »
I hated French, but find German very easy.

I agree, much prefer German to French, think that's because it's more closely linked to English?

Haven't tried Spanish though like.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:11:50 am by RedBabs »

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 10:17:55 am »
I'd go for German - just for the words like Krankenhaus and schneit

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 10:19:34 am »
I always found the speaking of languages harder - always found Latin and Ancient Greek easier than French. Not the most useful, although being born in 70's it was the only way I was taught grammar. It does however come in dead useful for those phobia trivial pursuit questions.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 10:35:46 am »
i maintain that spanish is the easiest of the 'standard' languages to learn, the phonetic nature lends it to being easy to speak too, learn a few rules and you could read out a passage fluently. You might not understand it, but it'll sound good ;)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 10:39:13 am »
i maintain that spanish is the easiest of the 'standard' languages to learn, the phonetic nature lends it to being easy to speak too, learn a few rules and you could read out a passage fluently. You might not understand it, but it'll sound good ;)

I guess what it really comes down to is.. does he prefer spanish women or italian women?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 10:42:56 am »
Italian allows you to get by in Romania. Well it worked for my Ex.

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 10:44:07 am »
no point in learning just any language learn one that u think you will use most
i.e where u go on holiday, think of job opportunities
i tried italian its well hard, but i dont take things in that easy
We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 10:45:50 am »
german does seem the easiest to learn, not quite as sexy as spanish of italian like
We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 10:53:57 am »
This (though it's upside down, not how I'd draw it) gives you a little taster of how the Indo-European languages are related, and why, for instance, Italian might get you by in Romania. Notice the absence of Finnish, even though all the other Scandinavian languages are there.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 10:54:35 am »
german does seem the easiest to learn, not quite as sexy as spanish of italian like

Sarah Chalke can make it sexy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMKWnbs7nx0

At first anyway

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 11:04:36 am »
This (though it's upside down, not how I'd draw it) gives you a little taster of how the Indo-European languages are related, and why, for instance, Italian might get you by in Romania. Notice the absence of Finnish, even though all the other Scandinavian languages are there.

No Hungarian either which is close to Finnish.