Author Topic: The Shawshank Redemption  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Shawshank's Redemption
« Reply #40 on: October 3, 2005, 02:54:39 am »
I think this thread is showing just how skewed towards recent Hollywood films a lot of those 'greatest films of all time' lists are. Shawshank Redemption is not a bad film: if overly soaked in American hoakum. I agree with the perspective of one reviewer who said it was " 'Beaches' for straight men".

As for truly great films, well I saw one last night: Rififi. Straight out of 1954; it runs rings around Shawshank Redemption.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 3, 2005, 03:33:32 am »
I think this thread is showing just how skewed towards recent Hollywood films a lot of those 'greatest films of all time' lists are. Shawshank Redemption is not a bad film: if overly soaked in American hoakum. I agree with the perspective of one reviewer who said it was " 'Beaches' for straight men".

As for truly great films, well I saw one last night: Rififi. Straight out of 1954; it runs rings around Shawshank Redemption.

Yet similarly there is a tendency to dismiss out of hand modern films by many critics. By the way Al Pacino is currently working on a remake of Refifi.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 3, 2005, 04:22:01 am »
Yet similarly there is a tendency to dismiss out of hand modern films by many critics. By the way Al Pacino is currently working on a remake of Refifi.

Perhaps you are right: a lot of critics certainly seem to list films from the 1940's or whereever as their favourites. I respond to films on a visceral level, and Rififi certainly appealed to me in that way. I'd actually never heard of the film before last night; I was mightily surprised at enjoying a 50's black and white film much more than any other film I'd seen in quite a while.

Offline oswestryred

• Main Stander
  • A pint of stella plz barman
« Reply #43 on: October 3, 2005, 04:26:19 am »
Everyone go to bed and why arent you drunk and drowning you're sorrows , i hate football 

ps nooo i have'nt been drinking so shut up well ok maybe justa glass or two but dont tell my wife

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 3, 2005, 04:43:06 am »
Everyone go to bed and why arent you drunk and drowning you're sorrows , i hate football 

ps nooo i have'nt been drinking so shut up well ok maybe justa glass or two but dont tell my wife

(giggle) I went to bed straight after the game last night: OK, maybe after a few posts on here about our performance, then. Mind you it was 4 am by the time I hit the sack. I'd watched Rififi earlier in the night, and then watched a horror movie straight after it: one of the stars was Didier Drogba.........

Offline Dug

• Graham Norton's favourite rent boy
  • Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
    • Reds-in-america.com
« Reply #45 on: October 3, 2005, 05:48:26 am »
Some great lines in Shawshank.

"Your world boss."

"Honey ..... shush."

"Wassa matter, aint you gonna scream."

"Stand back, he's about to have himself an accident."

"Better start livin or better start dyin."

"So carry on stampin your forms Mister and stop wasting my damn time because to tell you the truth, I just don't give a shit any more."

"Hey Tyrell, how's that horse of mine. Reckon I owe him a big wet sloppy kiss."
"He dead. Hadley gone and beat him up good."

"Hey fatass, this place aint so bad. Tell ya what, I'll take you around and introduce you to some of the fella's. There's a few bull queers I know just dyin to say hello that big mushy ass of yours."

"Hey what you in for?"
"Nuthin. Didn't do it. Lawyer fucked me over."

"You eat when we tell you to eat. You piss when we tell you to piss. You shit when we tell you shit. Got that you maggot mother fucker."

"I'm the warden. This is Mr. Hadley, captain of the guards and you are convicted felons. There are two rules at Shawshank. Firstly, I won't have the Lords name taken in vain. Second ...... you'll find out as you go along. Put your faith in the Lord because your ass belongs to me."

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 3, 2005, 03:52:14 pm »
Sales doesnt mean good, and Million Dollar baby wasnt very good. A total kick in the teeth to the art that is boxing and completely predictable for 80% of it, the 'twist' just made it feel like a separate film.

I agree- the twist did make it feel like a seperate film- and ultimately- in my eyes made the film shit.

Perhaps you are right: a lot of critics certainly seem to list films from the 1940's or whereever as their favourites. I respond to films on a visceral level, and Rififi certainly appealed to me in that way. I'd actually never heard of the film before last night; I was mightily surprised at enjoying a 50's black and white film much more than any other film I'd seen in quite a while.

Rififi... what' it about? Don't think I'd enjoy a black and white film- I tried watching Raging Bull once... but after 10 mins didn't like it.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #47 on: October 3, 2005, 05:14:13 pm »
You can't enjoy a film because its in black and white? You're not serious are ya? Jesus, "Raging Bull" was voted best film of the 80's for God's sake. Some years ago a guy called Ted Turner wanted to "colourize" classic films from early yesteryear and was ripped apart unmercifully for even suggesting it.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 5, 2005, 03:33:56 am »
I agree- the twist did make it feel like a seperate film- and ultimately- in my eyes made the film shit.

Rififi... what' it about? Don't think I'd enjoy a black and white film- I tried watching Raging Bull once... but after 10 mins didn't like it.

Rififi is the first 'heist' film put on celluloid. For a collection of reviews on it go to this link: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rififi/

The film was banned in several countries because the 'heist' scene was so detailed and so well done the authorities thought there would be 'copycat' crimes.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Shawshank Redemption
« Reply #49 on: January 3, 2023, 10:52:25 am »
Watched this again last night. It really is a masterpiece.

So many memorable, sad and shocking moments.

Byron Hadley beating Boggs half to death shouldn’t really be a happy moment, but it always is!

Stll frustrates me at the end though when Andy hammers the shit pipe with a rock.  What if the pipe didn’t break open? 20 years of planning down the shitter (excuse the pun!)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50 on: January 3, 2023, 11:30:57 am »
There’s a theatre version of this touring at the moment. Nearly got tickets for the wife as she loves the film but the week it’s near us we couldn’t make. And she said she wouldn’t have been that keen anyway so glad I saved my money!

Started watching last night too, to avoid more football but couldn’t stay up til 1 to finish it. Did he escape in the end? Feel free to spoiler it. ;)

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 3, 2023, 11:49:51 am »
Did he escape in the end? Feel free to spoiler it. ;)

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 3, 2023, 12:19:15 pm »

Always enjoy watching it and still see new things. Hadn’t realised that Richie Aprile from the Sopranos was one of the inmates. Didn’t even give Andy his favourite leather jacket…

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #53 on: January 3, 2023, 12:28:43 pm »
There’s a theatre version of this touring at the moment. Nearly got tickets for the wife as she loves the film but the week it’s near us we couldn’t make. And she said she wouldn’t have been that keen anyway so glad I saved my money!

Started watching last night too, to avoid more football but couldn’t stay up til 1 to finish it. Did he escape in the end? Feel free to spoiler it. ;)

It will blow your mind Nick when you find out who Keyser Soze is
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #54 on: January 3, 2023, 01:56:49 pm »
It will blow your mind Nick when you find out who Keyser Soze is

Richie Aprile is Keyzer Sose...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2023, 04:14:53 pm »
Must have seen this over ten times

I don't want to call it flawless, but ...?

last time I tried to focus on the little things. Like what the other prisoners shout and say when they enter the prison. Some funny lines

Shouldn't even laugh at this one:

FAT-ASS
       I WANNA GO HOME! I WANT MY MOTHER.

VOICE (O.S.)
       I had your mother! She wasn't that
       great!

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2023, 07:40:07 am »
if there's any aliens who haven't actually seen this it's on iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001gn6f/the-shawshank-redemption

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2023, 10:35:44 pm »
How does he stick the poster back up when he goes headfirst through the hole?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2023, 10:41:45 pm »
An amazing film, I heard it wasn't well liked in the cinemas when it first came out!

(Spoilers!) Brooks leaving Shawshank makes me well up every time, his monologue and the music is effective.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2023, 10:44:35 pm »
How does he stick the poster back up when he goes headfirst through the hole?

It's only taped to the wall at the top edge so he lifted it up to get through and then it went back to normal

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2023, 10:49:05 pm »
It's only taped to the wall at the top edge so he lifted it up to get through and then it went back to normal
Just what my posters used to do.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2023, 11:28:41 pm »
Just what my posters used to do.

How was the tunneling out, no real problems?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2023, 12:09:34 am »
An amazing film, I heard it wasn't well liked in the cinemas when it first came out!

(Spoilers!) Brooks leaving Shawshank makes me well up every time, his monologue and the music is effective.

Was a box office bomb, however it garnered a load of Oscar nominations and it's release on VHS saw it quickly reevaluated and seen by a larger audience to quickly gain the status it receives today.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2023, 12:13:53 am »
How was the tunneling out, no real problems?
Nearly complete, just as she is coming to the end of "The Change" too.