Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799127 times)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #17320 on: May 25, 2018, 09:24:56 pm »
Just pay for a ticket Mark. Tightass.

It's £5.20 I'm not Monty Brewster 😂

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17321 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:19 pm »
Moved to the Peak District and I'm surrounded by hills. Impossible not to fit in vert.

I've got a few runs lined up but my running at the moment is just getting fit again. Loving the trails and paths near me. I've found my mojo again.
Good to see you back mate. Would love to live somewhere like that!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17322 on: May 26, 2018, 10:40:04 am »
Ended up volunteering as they were still looking for people late last night.

Young kid was 4th. He was on his own as well. Unbelievable running.

18:48 he finished in...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:11:46 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline hartless

• will run & run & run...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17323 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:16 am »
Good to see you back mate. Would love to live somewhere like that!

Cheers.

Running took a hit last week. Guests all Saturday and Sunday; and a naughty hangover yesterday.

Time to get out today.

Hope you enjoyed Kiev. Shame about the goalkeeping ;-(

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Jamesie

• Main Stander
« Reply #17324 on: May 28, 2018, 02:41:35 pm »
Ran a 3000m at a league meeting for my club yesterday morning where I bumped into a mate who was convinced I'd been in Kiev the day before as I hadn't been active on social media till after the match.

Some snippets from the group chat for you.

"So what's the bets that Jim is on a secret day trip to Kiev?"
"Could be but racing tomorrow"
"Yep, but you fly back straight after the match. I know what he'll think is more important"
"I bet you I'm right"
"Not been on FB/Messenger for 11 hours.....I'm right btw"
"He's there......bet you!!!!"
"I should be a copper."

And all because I went and raced Leeds Abbey Dash last year & didn't tell anyone!!!!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #17325 on: May 30, 2018, 10:08:41 am »
I've mentioned the local club athlete Max Burgin on here before.  A couple of weeks ago he smashed his own age 15 World Record for 800m to 1:47.50.  He now holds the UK u-17 record and is 9th quickest 800m in the country this year.  The video of the race below.  Was talking to his dad last night and he's now beaten his time of 1:48.6.  Looking at the European Under 18 Champs later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-4ae9wRqZg

or this one from the official angle

http://www.runjumpthrow.com/videos/23862
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:35:29 am by Ziltoid »

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17326 on: May 31, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »
Entries opened for The Big Half in London for next March so bagged myself one. Takes in part of the London Marathon route and figure I'll never actually get a ballot place so entered.

Seem to have got over my injury so will be popping the trainers on for the Derby Half this weekend - had originally targeted this as a sub-90 attempt but definitely not in that sort of shape so will go for enjoyment.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #17327 on: May 31, 2018, 05:29:55 pm »
Yes, I have been doing some General Running. But currently I am slightly toasted.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17328 on: June 1, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
Dad is currently marathon training for September. His plan details 3 shorter runs in the week, currently into week 4 so at about 5-7k in the weeks at the moment and then his longer one on a Saturday. As he's 62 and never ran far really before I've offered to help him on his weekend runs, did 10.5k last weekend and it was his longest run in 45 years. He did 10k on his own the week before in 3 minutes longer than our run too, so mission accomplished.

Anything to help the old boy out!
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17329 on: June 2, 2018, 12:20:49 pm »
Zilt: Crikey, gonna look out for him; that's flying. Hope he can stay fit and avoid too many distractions.

BigAl24: Good luck to your dad. Sounds like he's doing the right thing for now. Just gradually increase the mileage without going mad and make sure he does a few 20+ milers once he's got a few miles in his legs. Should be ok if he can stay uninjured.

philV: I've signed up for Valencia in December, with a friend. Looks like a nice one; and flat.

Raul.: Apologies for not getting back to you with dates for my runs in France with https://marathonsforthemind.com/. We go next Friday but it's all a bit vague around where we're meeting up. To be honest, I'm just being led by my friend who's getting advice from friends of his in France.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17330 on: June 2, 2018, 10:07:28 pm »
Got down to parkrun as part of a 6.5 mile run today. Was lashing it down the whole time.

I should have put some glide on, I'm now paying the price. Still fairly pleased with my pace for it. Longest I've ran since London

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17331 on: June 3, 2018, 09:03:35 pm »
Mark: I got caught out with a bit of chafing when it pissed down last week. Thought I’d lubed up but I missed a bit!

Woke up on Wednesday morning with a sore ankle. No idea what I did to it but it was really sore just below the ankle bone. So didn’t run for a few days. Did 15 miles tonight and totally bonked at 13 miles. Not been the best week running - hopefully just a hangover week after Kiev.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17332 on: June 4, 2018, 06:55:57 am »
Mr. B, cheers. I'm certainly not going to make it this month but if he's anywhere near me when I'm in France next month, I might go and run a few miles with him. Heard him recently on marathon talk.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17333 on: June 4, 2018, 10:29:16 pm »
FYI for folk - Liverpool Mara and Half are on offer on Wednesday - Half down to £30 and Mara down to £37. Usually about £50 for the mara so not a bad offer.

Also decent offers on their other runs which I must not be tempted by...

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17334 on: June 6, 2018, 10:21:00 am »
Did a hill session this morning - the usual hill I use which has a Strava segment on it. I'm not usually fussed about these segments but I find it really motivates me to push on this hill. A good session which was 4x0.25mi reps finished off with 5x1min on the flat at 5km pace which felt pretty comfortable. Clearly the cold and niggles have gone in the last couple of days and I'm feeling good again.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17335 on: June 10, 2018, 06:36:43 pm »
Hull Half today - definitely a PB course as pretty much everyone I spoke to/have seen talk about it got one! I shaved 90 seconds off mine - didn't go into the race targeting a PB (did at Derby last week but it all went pear shaped), but very, very flat and good weather conditions. Need to try and find another flat one and find those last 40 seconds so I can go sub-90 this year...

Offline NewfoundRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Come from Away
« Reply #17336 on: June 10, 2018, 09:35:40 pm »
I was back in the country briefly and did my first parkrun last weekend. I hadn't been running for a while but was talked into it by my brother. A very positive experience, slightly spoiled by following my brother across the line.

I'd forgotten what a difference excercise maķes to mental health. I plan to get out regularly now. We have a race at the beginning of August in the town I live in, choice of 5 or 10k. I'm going to target running in that and see if I can go a bit faster. Already done 2 runs since I got back!

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17337 on: June 11, 2018, 08:03:56 pm »
First run since a week in Marbella, trying to increase distance and speed gradually and slowly getting there! Pleased considering the warm weather.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17338 on: June 12, 2018, 07:42:11 am »
Well, that was an interesting weekend in France.

As hartless pointed out on Strava, I said I'd never do an Ultra so doing two on the bounce was tough. Three of us met up with Marathons for the Mind legend Pete Thompson to complete two days with him on the Fougeres to Chartres leg of the Tour de France. Was a brilliant experience plodding through the wonderful French countryside and the odd village. Always thought I'd get the urge to run quicker but I really didn't once the first marathon distance was done; 9.00-9.30min/mi felt plenty hard enough. We stopped at our support car every 10km or so to rehydrate and to eat. The hardest part of the runs was getting going again after our short stops; especially after the first couple. We all looked like ninety year old blokes hobbling down the road for the first 100m or so; was funny to see. We did 34 miles on the first day and 36 on the second took us up to the massive cathedral in Chartres. Had to catch a ferry home from Dunkerque on Monday so could only squeeze 14 miles in with Pete before we had to call it a day....got home at around midnight and did struggle to get up at 5 o'clock this morning for work. Great trip though.

Offline Andy2508

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17339 on: June 12, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »
Hi everyone! First time in this thread, thought I’d pop in as I ran my first ever race on Saturday. It was only 5k, but I absolutely loved it. Never really been into running, always played football and other sports but never competed in a run. I’m now looking for my next race which is gonna be 10k I think.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17340 on: June 12, 2018, 09:19:37 pm »
Andy2508: So glad to hear you enjoyed your first race. 5k races are a great way to start; try to find your local parkrun. Welcome to the number 1 RAWK thread ;-)

Offline Andy2508

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17341 on: June 12, 2018, 09:47:47 pm »
Andy2508: So glad to hear you enjoyed your first race. 5k races are a great way to start; try to find your local parkrun. Welcome to the number 1 RAWK thread ;-)
Thanks mate, it was great fun! It was at Keswick Mountain Festival in the Lake District so you can imagine the views. Park run, what’s that? Been on a 7k run tonight so I’m gonna be aching tomorrow!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17342 on: June 13, 2018, 08:20:39 am »
Thanks mate, it was great fun! It was at Keswick Mountain Festival in the Lake District so you can imagine the views. Park run, what’s that? Been on a 7k run tonight so I’m gonna be aching tomorrow!

Free, weekly, timed 5k. 9am every Saturday.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/ is a map of all parkruns.

All you need to do is register, print your barcode and turn up.

Oh and welcome. This will soon become your favourite RAWK thread.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17343 on: June 13, 2018, 10:02:18 am »
Mr B: great job on the ultras. Next stop Comrades next year with your namesake ;)

Offline Andy2508

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17344 on: June 13, 2018, 04:31:24 pm »
Thanks red_mark, I’ve just signed up and gonna go down This Saturday. It’s only 10 minutes from my house and I never knew anything about it! Just checking the previous weeks and they often have 200+, crazy the stuff that goes on and you have no clue haha!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17345 on: June 17, 2018, 09:50:22 pm »
Eastleigh 10km this morning - 41:35 which is about a minute slower than my PB. Wasn’t going to rinse myself with RTTK on Saturday so it was nice to be able to pull a smile for the cameraman at the finish line, rather than the usual look of death!

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17346 on: June 18, 2018, 05:33:02 am »
Well, that was an interesting weekend in France.

As hartless pointed out on Strava, I said I'd never do an Ultra so doing two on the bounce was tough. Three of us met up with Marathons for the Mind legend Pete Thompson to complete two days with him on the Fougeres to Chartres leg of the Tour de France. Was a brilliant experience plodding through the wonderful French countryside and the odd village. Always thought I'd get the urge to run quicker but I really didn't once the first marathon distance was done; 9.00-9.30min/mi felt plenty hard enough. We stopped at our support car every 10km or so to rehydrate and to eat. The hardest part of the runs was getting going again after our short stops; especially after the first couple. We all looked like ninety year old blokes hobbling down the road for the first 100m or so; was funny to see. We did 34 miles on the first day and 36 on the second took us up to the massive cathedral in Chartres. Had to catch a ferry home from Dunkerque on Monday so could only squeeze 14 miles in with Pete before we had to call it a day....got home at around midnight and did struggle to get up at 5 o'clock this morning for work. Great trip though.

Followed that on Instagram mate, it looked epic. I'm going to continue following it and if I'm anywhere near Pete Thompson in July, I'll go and run a few miles with him.

And as for looking 90, you are coming up to around 85 as it is, isn't it?

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17347 on: June 19, 2018, 10:51:12 pm »
Raul: That's it, you put the boot in; I get it enough from the wife ;-)  Looks like Pete struggled a bit today by still managed about 38 miles; what a legend. I'd love to get down there and do some more with him but I just can't fit it in. I really did enjoy the experience though; he's a great bloke to be around and I just hope he can stay injury free because his heart will definitely get him to Paris.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17348 on: June 22, 2018, 09:43:58 pm »
New running experience for me yesterday - running a nighttime half.

Decided to cash in on leftover annual leave and make a solo jaunt up to Iceland for their Midnight Sun Half Marathon. Nice course, it's known as hilly but there was nothing too intimidating on it (apart from the wind - SIX MILES OF HEADWIND!). Weird experience starting a race at 9pm (10pm UK time) - and a full day of tourism beforehand did nothing to prep the legs. Managed to get round in a reasonable time but was an absolutely brilliant experience. Would definitely recommend (2019 RAWK Runners get together...)!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17349 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:38 am »
Eastleigh 10km this morning - 41:35 which is about a minute slower than my PB. Wasn’t going to rinse myself with RTTK on Saturday so it was nice to be able to pull a smile for the cameraman at the finish line, rather than the usual look of death!

Oh I'd love to run a 10k in that time. 5:30 per KM is we're I'm at the moment.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #17350 on: June 23, 2018, 08:11:47 am »
done it for 2 weeks now after illness and an injury, a 10kish every 2 days. At night. love it, seen more foxes in a city in a few weeks than i ever did in the "country" in me life, thats driving about n'al! averaging "4"."54" per km.

1/1 Official Race PB is 49;02 but am convinced i could beat that now, chasing actual non smoking athletes in a game day scenario! chasing real runners shaves literally minutes off your best time on race day :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:15:57 am by Daniel Cabbaggio »
YNWA

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17351 on: June 23, 2018, 11:26:15 am »
Did my first 5K park run today, such an enjoyable experience. Will be going back again.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17352 on: June 23, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »
Did my first 5K park run today, such an enjoyable experience. Will be going back again.

Great isn't it?

On a side note is it Race to the King(s?) Today does anyone know?

Edit: Yes it was.

Massive well done to Alan. Look forward to hearing about it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:48:27 am by red_Mark1980 »

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17353 on: June 24, 2018, 12:22:44 pm »
Thanks Mark - RTTK went really well. Finished in 10:39 which is about 20mins faster than last year.

I also hadn’t tapered this year with the idea of using it for training for NDW100 in August - I’d done a 14mi/30mi double LR 2 weeks ago and Eastleigh 10km last Sunday and my legs were definitely shot in the last 10 miles.

I am am honestly questioning whether I can do the 100 miler. I need a few days to take stock and work out how I would cover another 45 miles

Ill post a report up during the week.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17354 on: June 24, 2018, 12:44:31 pm »
Good stuff. Look forward to it Alan.

Managed a gentle 10 miles today. Snowdon awaits in three weeks...

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17355 on: June 24, 2018, 01:18:57 pm »
Is that a marathon Mark - gonna be Hilly?

Offline hartless

• will run & run & run...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17356 on: June 24, 2018, 01:27:18 pm »
Thanks Mark - RTTK went really well. Finished in 10:39 which is about 20mins faster than last year.

I also hadn’t tapered this year with the idea of using it for training for NDW100 in August - I’d done a 14mi/30mi double LR 2 weeks ago and Eastleigh 10km last Sunday and my legs were definitely shot in the last 10 miles.

I am am honestly questioning whether I can do the 100 miler. I need a few days to take stock and work out how I would cover another 45 miles

Ill post a report up during the week.
Course you can.

If you can do 55 miles you can do another 45. It'll just be a lot slower and will take close to a day.

It might help if you're running with someone you know. Long day on your own.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17357 on: June 24, 2018, 07:05:40 pm »
Is that a marathon Mark - gonna be Hilly?

Just the half mate. Katherine did the full a couple of years back the week after race to the stones for some mad reason.

There's a mate from dockside doing it so should be a good day

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17358 on: June 25, 2018, 11:38:48 am »
Mark: at least with a half you can enjoy it knowing that it'll be over relatively soon!

Hartless: good point - I think it was just the usual post race, I'm never doing this again, feeling. There's a few things coming out of the race that I need to change like new softer drinks bottles as mine really hurt my ribs. I also need to sort nutrition as I'll end up being sick as I felt quite nauseous at the end of Saturday. A pacer would be nice for the last 30 miles but it's not easy to find people that can cover that distance or a willing to do it in the middle of the night! I'll have a crew travelling in cars so that will definitely help, but none of them are runners that could cope with pacing me.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17359 on: July 1, 2018, 11:44:01 am »
Mark: at least with a half you can enjoy it knowing that it'll be over relatively soon!

Let's hope so.

We all go through that "I couldn't possibly run further" at mile 9 in Edinburgh in 2014 I was ready for hanging up my running shoes.

You'll be fine once the recovery is done. How you holding up now?

Went out at 8am this morning to try and avoid the heat. Got pretty warm coming back along the Dee.

Probably just get six or so miles in next weekend. Taking Katherine to the Chester game next Saturday, so may do parkrun and back.