Author Topic: Man-made items that are no longer around, but you wish they were  (Read 6274 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thought this might make an interesting thread.

Rules:
1. Had to be man-made (so no talk about extinct mastodons or dinosaurs)
2. Has to not exist at all anymore, or is now far less common that some other item that has replaced it

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Man-made items that are no longer around, but you wish they were
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:20:39 am »
So I've got two from cars.

First is the vent window. For someone younger who never drove a car with these, you might not understand the fuss. But it allowed you another method of getting airflow into the passenger compartment, and it could be directed however you wanted based how the angle of how you opened it. Came in really handy in some situations. I wonder if some sort of safety regulation prevents these now? Is there a car that still has them? I'm struggling to remember the exact year they finally phased out.

The other could fit in the "small things that annoy" thread: touchscreens in cars. I LOVE touchscreens outside of my driving. But when I'm in the car, you constantly have to take you eye off the road to change the temperature, radio station etc. because you can't feel for a button or knob. With older cars you just run your hand across the dash and feel for the 4th button on the stereo to choose your favorite station. Or turn the knob three clicks to warm the car up. Now you have to go through menus on a damn screen all the time. It's not an improvement. Yes I'm old. ;D     
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 05:59:35 am »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:47 am »
First is the vent window. For someone younger who never drove a car with these, you might not understand the fuss. But it allowed you another method of getting airflow into the passenger compartment, and it could be directed however you wanted based how the angle of how you opened it. Came in really handy in some situations. I wonder if some sort of safety regulation prevents these now? Is there a car that still has them? I'm struggling to remember the exact year they finally phased out.

As a Passive safety simulation engineer, I think I can answer this. This "wing" windows were removed as a result of a combination of the following factors.

1. Safety. The pillars that hold the windshield glass has to bear a major brunt in case of a head-on collision. So anything "glass" connected to it, will also shatter into a million shards, which creates a major problem for the occupant sitting inside.

2. Air conditioning. The older cars weren't packaged with air conditioning that made the insides swell into the upper 70° or lower to mid 80° Celsius in peak summer when the glasses were all risen up. So as a way to create air circulation inside during the motion, these wing windows did quite the handsome job. But modern cars don't have the need for that. Their air conditioning systems (whilst being tiny bit environment unfriendly), are more efficient than what these windows have to offer.

3. Packaging. The modern dashboard acts as a layer of insulation between the body and the occupant. There will be a mile distance between where the occupant is seated to reach and grab the window. But having the window there the first place creates problems as mentioned in #1.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:26:15 am »
Elvis

The Yanky Bar
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:18:55 pm »
Coconut Boost and banana flavoured Corona!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:25:16 pm »
Wagon Wheelz crisps

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:57 pm »
Hovercraft and Concorde
Legacy fan

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 03:52:25 pm »
Shackles

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 04:59:17 pm »
Proper Ben Sherman's made fron top quality cotton with a button on the back of the collar band and a pleat and small hook like fabric twist on the back of the shirt.

Modern Ben Sherman's are regurgitated shite.

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Man-made items that are no longer around, but you wish they we
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 06:20:19 pm »
Hovercraft and Concorde
Ooh, that's a good one.

Zeppelins. Before my time obviously, but it was fairly common to see those big airships in mid-century. Obviously had problems. They still exist and are safer now. I wonder if they will ever become more commonpace again for leisurely tourist travel?

And when are we landing on the moon again? I was six and remember watching the first moonwalk. There were several more in the next few years. If you had told us then that in 2018 there would be 45 year old people that never were alive during moon landings, we'd have thought you were crazy. We all thought we'd be on Mars by now and that there would be a heavily populated space station.
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 07:42:41 pm »
Rotary dial telephones.

Still see them once in a blue moon, but very few and far between these days.

I love that sound they made, as the dial rotates back to the starting position.

Or the pips, in a public pay phone, as you try and squeeze another coin into the slot.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:44:23 pm by Bigly Red Richie »

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:25 pm »
The standing Kop
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:58 pm »

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:55:55 pm »
80s supercars.

Spoiler

[close]

Really hate the modern 'hypercar' aesthetics.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 09:04:05 pm »
80s supercars.

Spoiler

[close]

Really hate the modern 'hypercar' aesthetics.

If I ever win the lottery, im getting one of those.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 10:24:48 pm »
Sony Walkman. Used to love looking at them in Argos catalogues

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 10:34:31 pm »

Not a Sony but I just put this little beauty up for sale at Red Brick Vintage.  Battery cover is missing and the foam on the headphones had fallen off but she still works and she's still loud.  Had it 28 years - it's what gave me my tinnitus. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 12:14:06 am »
The sun dial

Makes us connect to the inter stellar world
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 07:32:58 am »
Those buckets of mini hula hoops

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 08:23:06 am »

The Walkman Sports, bright yellow and "waterproof".
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 10:03:05 am »
Mix tapes, encyclopedias and dictionaries, not fully gone but nearly

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:25 pm »
Not quite gone but I guess they will be one day is that thrill I get when i hear a Spitfire or the Lancaster fly over. I live near Southampton Airport so get to see them a few times a year. Just hearing that Merlin engine brings me out in goosebumps and I end up running through my house front to back garden like a lunatic.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 01:22:28 pm »
Joan Rivers.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:05 pm »
Hours of fun with one of these bad boys!
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 02:01:04 pm »
Not quite gone but I guess they will be one day is that thrill I get when i hear a Spitfire or the Lancaster fly over. I live near Southampton Airport so get to see them a few times a year. Just hearing that Merlin engine brings me out in goosebumps and I end up running through my house front to back garden like a lunatic.

Lucky sod.

The eventual banning of the internal combustion engine will probably what does for them - Spitfires are easy to maintain and so should be able to be kept airworthy.

The Vulcan bomber - love the sound and sight of them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 03:24:07 pm »
Ships, built on the Tyne.

We built the best ships in the world, bar none.     :P

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
Hidden headlights. 8)

― Christine Szymanski

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 04:17:23 pm »
Hovercraft and Concorde
Lucky sod.

The eventual banning of the internal combustion engine will probably what does for them - Spitfires are easy to maintain and so should be able to be kept airworthy.

The Vulcan bomber - love the sound and sight of them.

The sound of Concorde taking off from Heathrow. It was an amazing sight and sound.

Last take off from JFK

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q7Ko2VoKcZI?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q7Ko2VoKcZI?fs=1</a>
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 09:31:34 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xJlsDiC9TBI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xJlsDiC9TBI</a>

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:28 pm »

Don't know if you ever do a looksee on PPrune, but some great stories regarding Vulcans amongst others from back then.

One in here here regarding Avro's finest..

The AvgasDinosaur
19th May 2006, 10:08
I'm enjoying this thread and would like to contribute albeit 2nd hand. I have a friend of long standing ex Vulcan QFI and 53 squadron Belfast who was with the Vulcans at Red flag. He was nominated not to fly on this particular press day and therefore elected RAF spokesman to a national American TV channel. They had 3 tv crews situated along side the runway. Loosely "Start end" "Mid point" and "stop end". Much attention was focused on the B-52s Being passed from one camera to the next as they departed for the excercise, finally getting airborn more due to the curvature of the earth rather than a triumph of thrust over drag+gravity. Cue Avros finest much roaring and smoke on camera 1, then just before camera 2 on its tail and :mad: off like a homesick angel leaving cameras 2 and 3 scouring the sky!!!:D :D :D Much wailing and gnashing of teeth:ugh: by the luviee types at the comentary position, somewhere in american tv archives is my mate Ice cool as ever " Of course we always fly these excercises at maximum take off weight in order to be realistic" Priceless I wish I could have been there.
Be lucky
David

I do remember being absolutely fascinated as a teenager in the late 60's by the occasional sight of a Vulcan, totally silent and with no vapour trail, must have been up near FL55 or so but way above everything else commercial and just a barely visible tiny white triangle in the sky, passing over Ainsdale on the way to who knows where out over the Irish sea.

Saw the occasional Victor too, my favourite V and like something from Dan Dare, doing low level circuits around Woodvale usually very early in the morning in '70.
The short lived PR versions with slightly extended wingtips allegedly went up to FL68 causing all kinds of commotion with US ATC when entering US airspace.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 11:34:46 pm »
But on the subject of things that would be interesting if they were still around, perhaps if all houses were all equipped with Trebuchet's, we would be in interesting times...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0O40Radaizk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0O40Radaizk</a>

I sometimes wish I was able to deliver my recycling bins that way

It's the fling...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 1, 2018, 01:51:33 am »
"The classic metal lunchbox era came to an end with concerns (among parents and lawmakers) that pieces of metal could be used as weapons at schools, Woodall said. He said most collectors cite 1985's Sylvester Stallone "Rambo" model (which he has on display at his museum) as the last metal box made for children."

― Christine Szymanski

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 1, 2018, 07:44:55 am »
TV video game cassettes from the 90s. The 9999999 in 1 cassettes that never really had so many games on them anyway. Contra, Super Mario, Tanks, Excite Bike, Bomberman, Adventure Island, Road Fighter.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:17 pm »
The Walkman Sports, bright yellow and "waterproof".
Still got mine from christmas when i was 12(30 years ago).Deee Lite,De La Soul,Public Enemy got battered on that amongst others

Heres mine,next to my vinyl walkman of which i have 2 of.I present the ''SOUND BURGER''

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 10:43:31 pm »
Still got mine from christmas when i was 12(30 years ago).Deee Lite,De La Soul,Public Enemy got battered on that amongst others

Heres mine,next to my vinyl walkman of which i have 2 of.I present the ''SOUND BURGER''

Walkman
Your notes wrong mate...
Should read "Capon is a funny twat."  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 09:03:19 pm »
The top corner stanchion, no longer any chance of goals like these

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tf5aLJLP-vw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tf5aLJLP-vw</a>

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 11:19:15 pm »
I saw the first Concorde takeoff in England (The first was in France), standing on a hill at the end of the runway at Filton, Bristol. Watched it turn over the Bristol Channel.
And everyone sang 'God save the Queen'.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 07:42:05 pm »
Ever use one of these? Batteries not included.

Victorious and glorious....

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 08:04:18 pm »
Ever use one of these? Batteries not included.

My dad was an engineer and had one. If I'd been bright enough and reached the 6th form science stream I'd probably have used one.

As it was I didn't make the 6th form so had to make do with log tables.

The wonders of the sixties, no calculators.