Author Topic: Churchill  (Read 36111 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Churchill
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:19 pm »
Why is it a fallacy? The same point was made on the previous page. Of course we view and judge history through the eyes of the present. That is to our great benefit, that we can learn from history and evolve as a society, which isn't to say we do.

Blame my history teacher then, for drumming it into me that we should always look at history through the mores of the times in order to better understand it. Look at Rome in the time of Caesar and Pompey through the eyes of today, and much of it is incomprehensible. Dig a bit deeper to understand how people of the period generally thought, and it's much easier to understand what's going on.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:54 pm »
It's not daft at all. Read his fucking speeches and correspondence writings, the racist, genocidal aspect is all there plain to see. But the British cannot handle the truth.

I spent 18 months reading through his war time memos under the tutelage of Chamberlain's foremost biographer. I'm up for suggestions on further reading though.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2018, 10:23:57 pm »
But it's so ahistorical. You might as well say that Gladstone - another Victorian - had views closely aligned with Nick Griffin. These comparisons add nothing to human understanding and take a whole lot away.

What are your thoughts on Enoch Powell, Yorky? I've debated starting a thread on him many times in the last year what with Brexit and all but have just never gotten round to it.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2018, 10:24:54 pm »
Because it was accompanied by the destruction of all representative institutions, because it was accompanied by SS terror and the murder of political dissidents, the banning of independent trade unions, the banning of a free press and free speech, and the outlawing of all non-Nazi political parties. Because it was accompanied by the introduction of slave labour, and because if there was a Jewish population in the conquered nation it was also accompanied by the policy of genocide. Life under the Nazis, especially for the so-called 'inferior races' meant being part of a One Thousand Year Reich, with no let up in persecution and no means to gain redress. The rule of law was abolished in nations conquered by the Nazis. And no German could stand up in the Reichstag and demand an official enquiry into Nazi abuses in the conquered territories, let alone stand up and declare their support for independence for Czechoslovakia or Denmark. Nor were Czech national parties allowed to speak and vote in the Reichstag or hold mass meetings in Berlin and other German cities demanding freedom. No SS officer was ever charged, let alone convicted, of shooting a Jew or a Pole or a Czech. On the contrary they were given medals and pensions.

We do not know what the long-term consequences of Nazi imperialism would have been because, thankfully, the Nazis were defeated. (Churchill played a massive part in this.) But we can guess. It would have been barbarism beyond belief and the extermination of entire nations.

This is why it was worse than British 'occupation'.

Some people need to read up on the hunger plan for occupied parts of the USSR. AFAIK it was an integral part of removing Slavs from the land so it can in due course be used by Germans. Not the result of the exigencies of war, but war waged in order to put the plan into action. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable in history, but I can't think of any parallel.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:42 pm »
There's an odd thing going on where evil seems to be excused because of achievements or glossed over through favorable comparisons. There's an unsettling thing going on where views such as '... but he's our bastard' or that it 'depends on what side you were on back then' are aired.

I don't mean to make any sort of accusation, the above reads a bit as such. But I don't see the relevance of a 'lesser evil' comparison nor of his achievements when the topic was started on his reprehensible stances and actions.

Why is it a fallacy? The same point was made on the previous page. Of course we view and judge history through the eyes of the present. That is to our great benefit, that we can learn from history and evolve as a society, which isn't to say we do.

Some voices in this thread just strike me as terribly defensively apologetic and I don't understand where the urge for that comes from.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

But let's put it the other way. Would you have been happier with Churchill not being PM, Britain capitula ting to Hitler and a thousand year Reich with the complete genocide of the Jews, Slavs, homosexuals, anyone on the left, intellectuals... the full force of eugenics eradicating the mentally ill and anyone not fitting the Aryan type, slave labour camps across Europe if not the world and the most horrendous and oppressive secret police force?...

I honestly don't think some of you have any concept of the reality of the nazi regime or how close the world came to capitulation.

Maybe the character traits that made him such a c*nt were the traits that made him such a dogged leader against Hitler. None of us will ever know. The point is that history categorically and without a shadow of a doubt shows that he was the leader in Britain's 'darkest hour' and he played a crucial and effective part in maintaining morale during that period.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:08 pm »
What are your thoughts on Enoch Powell, Yorky? I've debated starting a thread on him many times in the last year what with Brexit and all but have just never gotten round to it.

He seems to prove the popular idea that many intellectuals are fundamentally stupid. But I'm not sure that's right. I think Powell was stupid, but I don't think he was an intellectual. That speech of his in Wolverhampton was intended to have the effect it had. Powell wanted white racists to harass their black neighbours. He may have had a fastidious bourgeois dislike for pushing shit through people's letter boxes and beating people up in the street because they were the wrong colour but he was never honest enough or brave enough to come out and say it in public. And his Wolverhampton speech legitimised such actions. When he finally died I had a good laugh.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:13 pm »
Yes.  I’m an apologist for nothing he did which has been mentioned.

But to suggest his achievements during the war years aren’t worthy of merit is churlish.

I tried to word my post carefully, obviously I didn't succeed. I didn't mean to suggest you or anyone else is an apologist, rather that the tone of some posts is apologetic - the motive of which I didn't speculate on. That's why I quoted Alan_X's post: I haven't said Churchill's achievements aren't worthy of merit, just that I find it strange they are brought up at all as well as how, and that I find the quoted expressions unsettling because they read to me as extensuation.

If I were to speculate on the motive, not your's but generally, I would say I get the feeling that because of bias - indoctrination, national pride, having been affected by the events directly or indirectly, ideology or whatever may be the source - stokes an instinct to defend a national great. That's how the expressions I quoted read to me. I say "I get the feeling" and "read to me" because that's all it is, I'm not claiming something more objective than that.

Blame my history teacher then, for drumming it into me that we should always look at history through the mores of the times in order to better understand it. Look at Rome in the time of Caesar and Pompey through the eyes of today, and much of it is incomprehensible. Dig a bit deeper to understand how people of the period generally thought, and it's much easier to understand what's going on.

Sure, but understanding something doesn't exclude judging it. In fact to properly judge something you should first understand it, something I don't exactly always adhere to myself.

But let's put it the other way. Would you have been happier with Churchill not being PM, Britain capitula ting to Hitler and a thousand year Reich with the complete genocide of the Jews, Slavs, homosexuals, anyone on the left, intellectuals... the full force of eugenics eradicating the mentally ill and anyone not fitting the Aryan type, slave labour camps across Europe if not the world and the most horrendous and oppressive secret police force?...

I honestly don't think some of you have any concept of the reality of the nazi regime or how close the world came to capitulation.

Maybe the character traits that made him such a c*nt were the traits that made him such a dogged leader against Hitler. None of us will ever know. The point is that history categorically and without a shadow of a doubt shows that he was the leader in Britain's 'darkest hour' and he played a crucial and effective part in maintaining morale during that period.

I quoted you clumsily, mixing reactions to different posters.

Of course I wouldn't prefer the alternative scenario you describe. And I am not disputing Churchill's achievements. They are mute points to me. My point is that I don't think those achievements are relevant to a judgement of the actions described in the opening post. You can appreciate his achievements and denounce other actions of his without the one mitigating the other. To me that perspective seemed to be missing, as I read most posts as saying - exaggerating now - "Yeah, he was a c*nt but he did good stuff too, so.." The opening post was about terrible shit he was behind, where's the need to bring up his achievements - which are probably well known enough - in an extenuating manner? To better understand him? Sure, would be interesting to read about, but that to me then belongs in a less reverent tone.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:54:23 pm by mbroon »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
The underlying point about Churchill seems always to be how British imperialism is viewed. I think it's fair comment to highlight that Britain, generally, still hasn't quite got to grips with what it did. As daft to use Churchill as proxy for that as it is to write/produce hagiography about the bugger though.

Good point. I'd also note that the depiction of Churchill is a rare figure that shifts dramatically depending on location. In the United States in particular, most common depictions of him will border on near hagiography for his role during the Second World War, but the historical scope is narrow. There is little to no sense of his decision making and politics outside of WWII. The entire idea of Churchill in the U.S. is fixated somewhere on a timeline that only lasts between Chamberlain's claiming 'peace for our time' and Churchill's Iron Curtain speech.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2018, 10:39:49 pm »
He seems to prove the popular idea that many intellectuals are fundamentally stupid. But I'm not sure that's right. I think Powell was stupid, but I don't think he was an intellectual. That speech of his in Wolverhampton was intended to have the effect it had. Powell wanted white racists to harass their black neighbours. He may have had a fastidious bourgeois dislike for pushing shit through people's letter boxes and beating people up in the street because they were the wrong colour but he was never honest enough or brave enough to come out and say it in public. And his Wolverhampton speech legitimised such actions. When he finally died I had a good laugh.

What makes Powell's views on race fundamentally worse than Churchill's, though? You can't play the ahistorical card given he entered parliament  as part of Churchill's Tory Party and they were active at the same time. There's even an argument to be made that Powell was much less racist towards Indians than Churchill ever was.

Churchill was crucial during the war and I'm not denying that, just to be clear. I'm speaking exclusively in terms of race.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:13 pm »
Churchill was a sick genocidal man.

What he did in Bengal was a disgrace - him and Cherwell "the Prof" (Minister of War Transport)

He was a fucking racist towards Indians

He obviously deserves credit for fighting the Nazis though
He was racist towards Indians, not excusing the man but he was not alone, I wouldn't like to put a figure on it but many people looked at other races as inferior. it was very common to hear ordinary people say what we would class as racist remarks now said as though they were fact. there were some awful very common expressions in the 60s that would cause outrage now, nobody batted a eyelid at the time.
What exactly did Churchill do to be accused of genocide in Bengal.?
My definition of genocide is the deliberate extermination of a particular race.
Is taking food from their country to feed our troops and citizens genocide or is the aim to help us survive and fight a war. theres no doubt what he did was ruthless but is it genocide?
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2018, 10:44:17 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_Plan

The reality of German victory in WWII.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2018, 10:49:44 pm »
What makes Powell's views on race fundamentally worse than Churchill's, though? You can't play the ahistorical card given he entered parliament  as part of Churchill's Tory Party and they were active at the same time. There's even an argument to be made that Powell was much less racist towards Indians than Churchill ever was.

I think you can. They weren't really "active at the same time". When Powell made his loathsome speech in 1968 Churchill was three years dead. The whole debate about race in '68 was very different to when Churchill was in his pomp, and on a different planet to where it had been when Churchill entered politics at the start of the 20th century. Churchill was a Victorian/Edwardian politician and held many of the prejudices that came from that age. Powell was operating at a time when Martin Luther King was alive, the Civil Rights Movement was changing the political and mental landscape, and - in Britain - the first race Relations Acts had just been passed, outlawing racial discrimination and criminalising the incitement to racial hatred. He made racism a calling card at a time when nearly all Britain's former colonies had achieved their independence. And these are the things that the man set his face against. He was a complete reactionary. Churchill, for all his hatreds, wasn't. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:52 pm »

If I were to speculate on the motive....

Don't! Resist it! It will make you look silly.  You couldn't possibly know the motive, especially when you're wrong about the 'apologism'.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2018, 10:55:17 pm »
He was racist towards Indians, not excusing the man but he was not alone, I wouldn't like to put a figure on it but many people looked at other races as inferior. it was very common to hear ordinary people say what we would class as racist remarks now said as though they were fact. there were some awful very common expressions in the 60s that would cause outrage now, nobody batted a eyelid at the time.
What exactly did Churchill do to be accused of genocide in Bengal.?
My definition of genocide is the deliberate extermination of a particular race.
Is taking food from their country to feed our troops and citizens genocide or is the aim to help us survive and fight a war. theres no doubt what he did was ruthless but is it genocide?

It is both surely? One leads to the other?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2018, 11:01:29 pm »

(Churchill, incidentally, had been a Home Ruler before 1914 and opposed to the partition of the country.)

That's a little misleading Yorkie.

While Churchill, post treaty, became in favour of a United Ireland with Unionist consent, he certainly wasn't opposed to the partition of the country. On the contrary, he openly advocated a seperate deal for  "North East Ulster" as early as 1913.

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2018, 11:03:44 pm »
Don't! Resist it! It will make you look silly.  You couldn't possibly know the motive, especially when you're wrong about the 'apologism'.

I'm not bothered about looking silly. I often look silly without anonymity. And I'm not too bothered about being right. I seldom am. I think I can learn from open discussion, or else I would speak only to those who agree with me or are easily convinced. Or not speak at all.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:32 pm »
It is both surely? One leads to the other?
Not the way I see it, the consequences of his actions resulted in the famine killing many more people but unlike the Germans and Russia this was not the intention, the intention was to feed our troops and population.
This is what I mean when I mentioned Churchill once said we will not win this war being Gentleman, he was a ruthless bas..
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:09 pm »
I tried to word my post carefully, obviously I didn't succeed. I didn't mean to suggest you or anyone else is an apologist, rather that the tone of some posts is apologetic - the motive of which I didn't speculate on. That's why I quoted Alan_X's post: I haven't said Churchill's achievements aren't worthy of merit, just that I find it strange they are brought up at all as well as how, and that I find the quoted expressions unsettling because they read to me as extensuation.

If I were to speculate on the motive, not your's but generally, I would say I get the feeling that because of bias - indoctrination, national pride, having been affected by the events directly or indirectly, ideology or whatever may be the source - stokes an instinct to defend a national great. That's how the expressions I quoted read to me. I say "I get the feeling" and "read to me" because that's all it is, I'm not claiming something more objective than that.

Sure, but understanding something doesn't exclude judging it. In fact to properly judge something you should first understand it, something I don't exactly always adhere to myself.

I quoted you clumsily, mixing reactions to different posters.

Of course I wouldn't prefer the alternative scenario you describe. And I am not disputing Churchill's achievements. They are mute points to me. My point is that I don't think those achievements are relevant to a judgement of the actions described in the opening post. You can appreciate his achievements and denounce other actions of his without the one mitigating the other. To me that perspective seemed to be missing, as I read most posts as saying - exaggerating now - "Yeah, he was a c*nt but he did good stuff too, so.." The opening post was about terrible shit he was behind, where's the need to bring up his achievements - which are probably well known enough - in an extenuating manner? To better understand him? Sure, would be interesting to read about, but that to me then belongs in a less reverent tone.
I don’t think there’s any national pride in celebrating what Churchill did during the war.  It was, but any measure, remarkable.

His actions defined the future of Europe and in so doing, the world.

Of course, if he hadn’t done that, he would have been forgotten.  Some times remembered of course for his brutal acts and utter failures, but largely a footnote in British history.

But, that side of his life is largely forgotten for his defining contribution to future of Europe.

That’s not to ignore or excuse his other actions of course, but he acted to change world history... so that tends to be what you’re  known for in a historical context..

Seems obvious to me...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:12 pm »
Good point. I'd also note that the depiction of Churchill is a rare figure that shifts dramatically depending on location. In the United States in particular, most common depictions of him will border on near hagiography for his role during the Second World War, but the historical scope is narrow. There is little to no sense of his decision making and politics outside of WWII. The entire idea of Churchill in the U.S. is fixated somewhere on a timeline that only lasts between Chamberlain's claiming 'peace for our time' and Churchill's Iron Curtain speech.

It's curious to see how historiography reflects demand and needs in different markets. I only dabbled in 30s/40s British history - mainly because Dilks was deep in research for the period and my interests were more in totalitarianism - but the hero worship of Churchill misses the petty vindictiveness of the man as much as the hunt for his genocidal tendencies misses the tacit racism which underpinned all the assumptions of Empire and how it was governed. It is odd to laud him for his principled concern about civil liberties when he was as capable of mass internment as he was agonised concern over the imprisonment of Oswald Mosley's wife and newborn baby. Context is all I suppose? Both then, and now.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:50 pm »
That's a little misleading Yorkie.

While Churchill, post treaty, became in favour of a United Ireland with Unionist consent, he certainly wasn't opposed to the partition of the country. On the contrary, he openly advocated a seperate deal for  "North East Ulster" as early as 1913.

Yes, you're absolutely right.

But it's still relevant, I think, that Churchill and Carson (and most of the Tory party) were in opposite camps in 1912-14. Churchill would have preferred a united Ireland, to a partitioned one, but - as you note - thought a separate deal for part of Ulster was a price worth paying if it meant the avoidance of a (British) civil war.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:37 pm »
Not the way I see it, the consequences of his actions resulted in the famine killing many more people but unlike the Germans and Russia this was not the intention, the intention was to feed our troops and population.
This is what I mean when I mentioned Churchill once said we will not win this war being Gentleman, he was a ruthless bas..

Whether intended or not his actions still resulted in the genocide. He would've known what his actions would lead to so even if he didn't set out to cause a famine he was intelligent enough to know it was the only likely outcome.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2018, 11:18:32 pm »
Of course not. I'm saying there are different levels of occupation. This is not to defend the British record in Ireland - something I'll never do - but to point out that a Nazi occupation of Ireland would not have seen the Reichstag arguing about whether to set up new universities in Dublin or bring in a Land Act to give Irish peasants security of tenure (as, say Gladstone did). Hitler wouldn't have been talking about Irish Home Rule or how to preserve the independence of the Irish judicial system. He and his captains wouldn't have been sitting at home reading the poetry of WB Yeats. They'd have murdered him. And anyone who published him. In these senses - and more - the Nazi occupation of Ireland would have been rather different to the British one.

If by this you mean that we'd have been better off with our comfy familiar oppressors, with whom we'd become almost chummy, at least at the level of the educated classes, then certainly. Better the devil you know, and all that.

But you also have to understand that up until relatively recently, the number one enemy for Irish people was Britain, and for good reason. I won't go into the lurid details, you know them well, and anyone who doesn't can start with the Penal Laws. I don't want to get all victim-y about it, it was a long time ago and we all get along fine now but you really have to be in the place of the oppressed at the time to form a view on how that should feel, and how you should react. So, in defence of derailing the thread, when someone scoffs at our neutrality from the viewpoint of a centuries old oppressor, they can get fucked. It might not have been a wise choice strategically but I don't care. It was our decision, and we fought and died and were butchered and starved and robbed before we got to a place where we had the right to make that decision.

To get boldly back to the topic, I believe Churchill had a nuanced relationship with the Irish. On the one hand, as you say, he was sometimes on our side with regard to national issues, famously quoting that the Irish frustrated him on account of their refusal to be English, which I would take to be a sideways compliment. On the other hand, he was responsible for the infliction on us of the Black and Tans, and everyone should click that link to find out what a bunch of savage c*nts they were. My maternal grandfather, after whom my son is named, had a brother murdered by them. They burned my city in 1920. This may be history but for some of us, it's personal history.

Corky, I would heartily recommend you to read the chapter on 'The Emergency' in Joe Lee's book, Modern Ireland. Politics and Society 1912-1985 (Cambridge 1989). Lee is a scholar, not a polemicist. He's also a Corkman, if I remember right. The book is one of the most beautifully written history books I've ever read and suffused throughout with a subtle irony as well as tremendous authority.

My wife has a history degree from University College Cork, where he was professor of the Modern History department. I haven't read it. She's not impressed with me.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2018, 11:25:06 pm »
Whether intended or not his actions still resulted in the genocide. He would've known what his actions would lead to so even if he didn't set out to cause a famine he was intelligent enough to know it was the only likely outcome.
Whether intended or not his actions resulted in deaths. you can't call it genocide unless you can prove the intention was to wipe out a particular race.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:33 pm »
Well said Corky

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2018, 11:28:58 pm »
It's curious to see how historiography reflects demand and needs in different markets.

Yep. You only need to look at the differences in largely U.S. and European interpretations of Cold War historiography

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2018, 11:37:55 pm »
Whether intended or not his actions resulted in deaths. you can't call it genocide unless you can prove the intention was to wipe out a particular race.
'Wiping out' is not required to be defined as  genocide.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2018, 11:40:55 pm »
'Wiping out' is not required to be defined as  genocide.
OK, you don't have to kill the whole race if that's what you mean?
If it is then I think we all know that.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2018, 11:43:30 pm »
If by this you mean that we'd have been better off with our comfy familiar oppressors, with whom we'd become almost chummy, at least at the level of the educated classes, then certainly. Better the devil you know, and all that.

But you also have to understand that up until relatively recently, the number one enemy for Irish people was Britain, and for good reason. I won't go into the lurid details, you know them well, and anyone who doesn't can start with the Penal Laws. I don't want to get all victim-y about it, it was a long time ago and we all get along fine now but you really have to be in the place of the oppressed at the time to form a view on how that should feel, and how you should react. So, in defence of derailing the thread, when someone scoffs at our neutrality from the viewpoint of a centuries old oppressor, they can get fucked. It might not have been a wise choice strategically but I don't care. It was our decision, and we fought and died and were butchered and starved and robbed before we got to a place where we had the right to make that decision.

To get boldly back to the topic, I believe Churchill had a nuanced relationship with the Irish. On the one hand, as you say, he was sometimes on our side with regard to national issues, famously quoting that the Irish frustrated him on account of their refusal to be English, which I would take to be a sideways compliment. On the other hand, he was responsible for the infliction on us of the Black and Tans, and everyone should click that link to find out what a bunch of savage c*nts they were. My maternal grandfather, after whom my son is named, had a brother murdered by them. They burned my city in 1920. This may be history but for some of us, it's personal history.

My wife has a history degree from University College Cork, where he was professor of the Modern History department. I haven't read it. She's not impressed with me.

Good stuff Corky.

As for your first paragraph I don't mean that. By 1940 you, or most of you, were shot of us - a relief to us as much as you. But I most certainly do mean that conquest by the Nazis would have been ten times worse than British imperialism - probably more. I also think you underestimate the 'chumminess' between the non-educated classes. Chartism in Britain, for example, involved huge amounts of Anglo-Irish cooperation. The British labour movement itself had enormous input from Irish socialists, and in return no one supported Jim Larkin and the Irish transport workers more than the British working class. I feel stupid pointing out that German workers would have been in no position to support any Irish struggle against Nazi dominion (should such a thing even be possible after a few years of SS activity in Dublin, Cork and Limerick) - for the simple reason that there was no German workers' movement in Nazi Germany. Its leaders were dead, in Dachau, or in exile. Its organisations were all banned in 1933.

As for Irish neutrality during the war, yes it was a strategic error. But it was a gross moral error too. I'll never feel constrained to point that out! By 1944 the world knew about Auschwitz.

But also let's not forget, something in the region of 150,000 Irish men and women enlisted in the Allied armies to fight Hitler. No 'neutrality' for them.

...Was your wife taught by Joe Lee?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2018, 11:46:03 pm »
Yep. You only need to look at the differences in largely U.S. and European interpretations of Cold War historiography

I don't know the ground there. Sounds like it could be fun. Just lacking the 20 volume personal memoir by Reagan on how he won the cold war all by himself? ;)

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2018, 11:51:14 pm »
Good stuff Corky.

As for your first paragraph I don't mean that. By 1940 you, or most of you, were shot of us - a relief to us as much as you. But I most certainly do mean that conquest by the Nazis would have been ten times worse than British imperialism - probably more. I also think you underestimate the 'chumminess' between the non-educated classes. Chartism in Britain, for example, involved huge amounts of Anglo-Irish cooperation. The British labour movement itself had enormous input from Irish socialists, and in return no one supported Jim Larkin and the Irish transport workers more than the British working class. I feel stupid pointing out that German workers would have been in no position to support any Irish struggle against Nazi dominion (should such a thing even be possible after a few years of SS activity in Dublin, Cork and Limerick) - for the simple reason that there was no German workers' movement in Nazi Germany. Its leaders were dead, in Dachau, or in exile. Its organisations were all banned in 1933.

As for Irish neutrality during the war, yes it was a strategic error. But it was a gross moral error too. I'll never feel constrained to point that out! By 1944 the world knew about Auschwitz.

But also let's not forget, something in the region of 150,000 Irish men and women enlisted in the Allied armies to fight Hitler. No 'neutrality' for them.

The moral error came after the war, when the returning Irish servicemen were ostracised by the Irish state and society, despite everyone then knowing what the Germans had been up to and what the Allies had been fighting against.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2018, 12:13:42 am »
Read Mukherjee's book. You will learn that England during WWII had HUGE, HUGE surpluses of food.  And that the Americans were suspicious of what England was doing with the food/shipping. You will learn that so much food stock was available that Churchill made asked British to take care of the POULTRY farmers.
The chickens of England were better taken care of than the Indians

You will learn that Churchill REJECTED Canadian and Australian attempts at sending Wheat to India

And keep in mind, Churchill was not the first to kill the Indians. Here are some photos of a famine during the an 1870 famine, just par for the course of British rule

Thanks for trying to educate me. if you know all this then you would also know the situation was more complicated than you say, it wasn't all about just turning down the offer to supply food it was about protecting shipping. so would you class the taking of grain during a famine as genocide which was the point I was making.?
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2018, 12:22:19 am »

Apparently. I will seek further particulars.

I also think you underestimate the 'chumminess' between the non-educated classes.

True. This was on our school syllabus, a little snapshot of relations at the time by the short story Master, Frank O'Connor, who was from Cork, needless to say.

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/m/maddendw/the-oxford-book-of-short-stories_29guestsofthenation.pdf

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2018, 12:32:37 am »

Keeping food from a race is wiping them out. It doesn't matter what you are doing it for it's still genocide, as I said he wasn't unintelligent, he knew what his actions would entail and therefore he committed genocide.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:22 am »
They were shipping rice and wheat OUT of India! The food produced by the Indians could not be eaten by them.
It is a genocide because they were well aware that problems were occurring, but they refused to fix.
they had MANY opportunities to feed their Indian subjects, but they didn't do it. So it is not accidental, let us say that.

It clearly wasn't.

Maybe you should look up the definition of that word.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:37:57 am by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2018, 12:48:53 am »
They were shipping rice and wheat OUT of India! The food produced by the Indians could not be eaten by them.
It is a genocide because they were well aware that problems were occurring, but they refused to fix.
they had MANY opportunities to feed their Indian subjects, but they didn't do it. So it is not accidental, let us say that.
I think you have to give a timeline here as it's very important, are you saying Churchill ordered the shipment of rice and wheat out of India while the famine was at it's height because this doesn't add up
We're taking all this rice and grain and at the same time Canada is asking if they can ship food to India, why are they not stopping us taking the food?
.We stockpiled food, their were opportunities to get food to India, other priorities came first.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:52:44 am by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2018, 12:55:44 am »
You can call him whatever the fuck you like.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2018, 01:04:27 am »
Other priorities came first, but they were rubbish and because the British didn't want "embarrassment" internationally.....genocide is okay though!

Also, the British were receiving food shipments from Argentina, which is just as long a shipping route as Vancouver (100,000 tons of wheat were offered ready to be sent to Bengal) to Bengal

And yes, shipment was being sent out of India during the famine.... but that should not be surprising
Also ships from Australia were bypassing India with grain

Finally, England's stockpiles were far more than necessary, that's documented in Mukherjee's book
Sorry I really don't care about the book, it's not the holy bible of history. there are other sources who have no axe to grind who are more reliable, if you read the book and you came to the conclusion it was Genocide then I wouldn't bother reading it myself.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2018, 01:14:16 am »
Other priorities came first, but they were rubbish and included the British not wanting "embarrassment" internationally.....genocide is okay though!

Also, the British were receiving food shipments from Argentina, which is just as long a shipping route as Vancouver (100,000 tons of wheat were offered ready to be sent to Bengal) to Bengal

And yes, shipment was being sent out of India during the famine.... but that should not be surprising
Also ships from Australia were bypassing India with grain

Finally, England's stockpiles were far more than necessary, that's documented in Mukherjee's book
Well this is the critical point that doesn't add up.
We are taking all this food out of India and while were doing this Canada is asking if they can supply food to India. why are they not asking us to stop taking the food instead.
It's the timeline I am questioning not each particular incident.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2018, 01:23:59 am »
Read his collected speeches, from the 1930s, on India.... his vile hatred began during that time....before then he said nothing of note.

Do you think he just hated Indians then? He was 60 in 1934. There's a lot which went on before then which is surely relevant? I'd offer the perspective that there's a racism within imperialism which Churchill played his full part in promoting. I'd agree with you on the racism which was demonstrated within imperial policy, and within how they decided allocation of resources, and that ultimately is the context within which the Bengal famine happened. It's a huge leap to get to genocidal from there. It would also seem misleading to pin responsibility for that structure solely on Churchill too. There was no desire to have or cause a famine - initially weren't British administrators concerned it was a nationalist/Japanese plot to destabilise things internally? - nor was aid withheld when the shipping was available. I think it's far more damning an indictment on colonial policy that any choices over how to provide food aid ever had to be made. And there's a very uncomfortable question about whether eg London would have been asked to starve for victory on the Burma front, and, if not, why not. But that's still not the same as genocide. Just my twopennyhalfpennyworth.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2018, 02:56:49 am »
I think he really began to despise them in the 1930s, primarily when he began to fear the loss of the British Empire. So before when he felt the British Empire secure, he was more indifferent, but later it became hatred. Also he became a big fan of Katherine Mayo (who wrote her books in the late 20s/early 30s I think), and if you know who she is, you can only imagine his hatred.

As for genocide, the documented correspondence indicates that Churchill was quite aware that the famine was ongoing. It's just that he didn't care. And he was the ruler of India. So why not genocide, when he had the power to save lives?

Lot of Churchill's attitudes can be traced back into the 1890s and his personal correspondence from them. A product of his time is trite but does fit. Which is hardly exculpatory.

Genocide starts with intent and purpose. The Bengal famine of 1943 does not start there. I'd agree there's a sense that Churchill didn't care enough about it. It's whether that then informed his decisions and actions. If he'd sent shipping to Slim, as Slim was begging, to allow for a rapid advance to Malaysia - as Churchill was desperate to do - then maybe there'd be a stronger case that lies were being told about the availability of shipping and dock capacity to help Bengal faster. But that didn't happen because there was no shipping spare. I think there are a whole series of errors and systemic problems one can point to - and damn the British government over - but that's not genocide. Not that semantics change much for the millions who died.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:59:14 am by Zeb »