Author Topic: The Run Home and CL Qualification  (Read 211270 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Run Home and CL Qualification
« Reply #120 on: February 6, 2018, 10:02:30 am »
Every time I think Arsenal are totally out of it, results go our way & just gives you a tiny slither of hope. I suppose the Spurs game at the weekend could be the final nail.

It's the hope that kills you.....

I hope ye hammer Spurs this weekend. Good luck and all that !!

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #121 on: February 6, 2018, 10:37:39 am »
To be honest I'll be surprised if we don't finish in the top 4. It's just about where for me.

After the way we ended last season with Arsenal/United breathing down our necks....playing shit....still grinding out results. We are better this year and have that as experience, with nothing but the CL and the league to play for over the next few months.

Not saying it won't be nervy along the way, or that any of the other teams can't pip us to the remaining CL spots. Absolutely they can.

I just think we'll be good enough to hold our nerve and maybe one of the teams will outperform us but not 2 or more. It'll be more comfortable than last season.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 6, 2018, 12:47:26 pm »
I think arsenal and spurs drawing is the best result for us. We can then go to Southampton and put some daylight between us and spurs.

I think an Arsenal win is the best result for us.  I’m not too worried about Arsenal as they have to be almost perfect the rest of the way to get top 4.  Spurs on the other hand will be quite happy with 5 points out of a run of Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal in consecutive games and that could give them a massive boost for the rest of the way. 

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 6, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »
I think it will just come down to injuries for us. Completely confident if Firmino/Salah stay fit.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #124 on: February 6, 2018, 01:01:58 pm »
I think it will just come down to injuries for us. Completely confident if Firmino/Salah stay fit.

Good point that. Unless Solanke and Ings can start to do the business against the lesser teams.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #125 on: February 6, 2018, 01:05:11 pm »

What happens if Hazard gets injured?

Or Kane for Tottenham?

They are in the same boat as us. They don't  have direct replacements who are anywhere near the same class as their 1st choice attacking stars.

You are right to say injuries are important. Wrong to focus on just us. Spurs and Chelsea are equally vulnerable if their star player gets injured for any period of time.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: February 6, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »
Thinking of injuries and tiredness. Must have been suggested that Dings gets plenty of minutes toward the ends of games. Not just to save Firmino's fitness, he's a proper goal threat too imo.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #127 on: February 6, 2018, 11:41:23 pm »
I've done my Excel run-in spreadsheet and one interesting thing to note is the number of games between the 'top six' for each of the teams.

Man City have 4: Arsenal, Chelsea, United home and Spurs away
Man Utd have 4: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal home and City away
Chelsea have 4: United, Spurs, Liverpool home and City away
Spurs have 3: Arsenal home and Chelsea & City away
Arsenal have 3: Spurs, City & United (all away)

LIverpool have 2: Chelsea and United away (plus the derby)

As last year, whatever happens in the next 12 games, some of our rivals are guaranteed to drop points.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 7, 2018, 04:56:52 pm »
i did the prem predictor thing, had us losing to Everton and Chelsea, drawing with man u , palace and west brom....winning the others.....ended up on 75 points ...getting 4th by one point ahead of chelsea.....

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2018, 12:12:07 pm »
Bit sad we have to wait so long for the next game to be honest!

West Ham 24th Feb, Newcastle on 3rd March, Porto 6th and then United away on 10th.

Looking at those first 3, they all should be comfortable wins. Our narrow lead from the first leg gives us a good opportunity to rest some key players in between two league games and you'd think we'll give some starts to the likes of Ings, Solanke, Lallana, Moreno, Klavan, possibly even Clyne and Woodburn? Will be interested to see whether we make wholesale changes or if that risks jarring our momentum slightly going into the United game.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:10:15 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2018, 12:49:36 pm »

Newcastle on 3rd March, Porto 6th and then United away on 10th.

Our narrow lead from the first leg gives us a good opportunity to rest some key players in between these two league games and you'd think we'll give some starts to the likes of Ings, Solanke, Lallana, Moreno, Klavan, possibly even Clyne and Woodburn? Will be interested to see whether we make wholesale changes or if that risks jarring our momentum slightly going into the United game.

We play West Ham on Saturday 24th..so not too long

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:25 pm »

Newcastle on 3rd March, Porto 6th and then United away on 10th.

Our narrow lead from the first leg gives us a good opportunity to rest some key players in between these two league games and you'd think we'll give some starts to the likes of Ings, Solanke, Lallana, Moreno, Klavan, possibly even Clyne and Woodburn? Will be interested to see whether we make wholesale changes or if that risks jarring our momentum slightly going into the United game.
We have West Ham on 24th of Feb
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2018, 01:37:26 pm »
i did the prem predictor thing, had us losing to Everton and Chelsea, drawing with man u , palace and west brom....winning the others.....ended up on 75 points ...getting 4th by one point ahead of chelsea.....

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2018, 04:03:48 am »
Updated with Current points.

Remaining games in EPL vs top 8 teams:

United 56 - Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Arsenal

Liverpool 54 - United, Chelsea

Chelsea 53 - United, City, Burnley, Spurs, Liverpool

Spurs 52 - Chelsea, City, Leicester

Arsenal 45 - City, Leicester, United, Burnley

Getting to squeeky bum time for United. The pack is closing in. Spurs don't face Chelsea for another 5 weeks so could see a good run of results for them putting them in a strong position. Would love to see United lose to Chelsea and then us. The pressure on them would be immense.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2018, 07:27:59 am »
I've done my Excel run-in spreadsheet and one interesting thing to note is the number of games between the 'top six' for each of the teams.

Man City have 4: Arsenal, Chelsea, United home and Spurs away
Man Utd have 4: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal home and City away
Chelsea have 4: United, Spurs, Liverpool home and City away
Spurs have 3: Arsenal home and Chelsea & City away
Arsenal have 3: Spurs, City & United (all away)

LIverpool have 2: Chelsea and United away (plus the derby)

As last year, whatever happens in the next 12 games, some of our rivals are guaranteed to drop points.
We can more or less discount Arsenal. I don't think they'll make.

Chelsea are in topsy turvy. If one of their key players get injured, they are almost done.
Spurs are on the up at the moment. They are finding their mojo again. They represent our biggest threat.
United are going ok - not particularly well but they have the most difficult games.

If we can hang on to our momentum, Van Djik settling in and with Sane back to his best, we definitely have a very good chance of finishing second.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2018, 11:04:41 am »
We can more or less discount Arsenal. I don't think they'll make.

Chelsea are in topsy turvy. If one of their key players get injured, they are almost done.
Spurs are on the up at the moment. They are finding their mojo again. They represent our biggest threat.
United are going ok - not particularly well but they have the most difficult games.

If we can hang on to our momentum, Van Djik settling in and with Sane back to his best, we definitely have a very good chance of finishing second.

You are a fellow Red, but mistakes like this do my head in

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »
Where's the full stop at the end of your sentence, hmmm? Where? WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?

You are a fellow Red, but mistakes like this do my head in. 

Just kidding, mate, and the Sane/Mane thing is a touch irritating, just like the Firminho misspelling. Still, I guess that's just pedants like us and, to be honest, I mess players' names up sometimes myself. Also, perhaps he meant "Sane" as some sort of affectionate portmanteau of Sadio Mane...? You never know.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »

And this particular mistake seems to be quite common among fans and commentators even, no idea why. I heard a commentary (don't remember exactly when) where he was saying Sane soon after Mane scored. Two different players, people  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2018, 04:08:06 pm »
And this particular mistake seems to be quite common among fans and commentators even, no idea why. I heard a commentary (don't remember exactly when) where he was saying Sane soon after Mane scored. Two different players, people  ;D

Happened on BT the other night during the Porto game too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2018, 08:37:18 pm »
Liverpool basically depends on keeping it players fit. If we do then we make it, if we dont then we are in massive trouble and looking at a similar ending as the previous season( in which we basically had to grind wins playing less than spectacular football) when we will be vulnerable to very fine margins which can go either way.
I hope that 10 days of no football doesnt go against us( but like I said in another thread, fortunaly West Ham have the same 10 days without competitive matches).

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »
With regards to other teams I think Man United are in general very underated here, they are still very strong in both boxes and while they play horrid football against Newcastle they still were unlucky to lose that game. If you combine that with the fact they have a 2 point lead over us, I will gladly take them beating Chelsea and I dont really care for 2nd place.
Spurs are just really fucking good to watch, great manager , great attacking players and did excelent in their run of 3 games. I see them finishing 4th.
Chelsea seem to be the weakest link, sure they won 2 games easily but it was not a big test. Now they have to face Barcelona and United and their season could easily collapse here. Not only is the United game important from an aritmetic pov, they are 1 point behind us but emotionaly defeat against the mancs will leave them very complicated.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2018, 05:32:37 am »
Fuck that. Chelsea to score a 95th minute winner, Conte to run along the touchline in celebration and poke Mourinho in the eye from behind
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2018, 06:42:45 am »
Does anyone know why according to Crystal Palace's website, our game with them on Saturday 31/3 @ 12:30pm faces possible postponement if we reach the CL quarter finals?

I've never known this to happen to a weekend league game before and I'm rather concerned as we've already bought tickets and I paid for my train last night. The game is scheduled to be shown on Sky too.

"Please note that this match may be rescheduled should Liverpool progress to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League."

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/tickets/ticket-information/
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2018, 07:49:17 am »
Does anyone know why according to Crystal Palace's website, our game with them on Saturday 31/3 @ 12:30pm faces possible postponement if we reach the CL quarter finals?

I've never known this to happen to a weekend league game before and I'm rather concerned as we've already bought tickets and I paid for my train last night. The game is scheduled to be shown on Sky too.

"Please note that this match may be rescheduled should Liverpool progress to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League."

I think that if we played the CL game on the Wednesday night then we wouldn’t be asked to play Saturday morning because of the quick turnaround. Would probably be moved to Saturday evening or Sunday.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2018, 07:52:00 am »

From the ticket forum:

It's to do with Chelsea v Spurs on the Sunday. If we have a CL game Wednesday and one of them is playing Tuesday, we'll swap. If they both get knocked out, we stay where we are.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2018, 07:54:39 am »

I’d guess changed to Sunday .

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2018, 10:20:47 pm »
FA Cup replay for Spurs :) :)
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2018, 10:37:51 pm »
FA Cup replay for Spurs :) :)

They will probably play the same team as they out today and win at a canter similar to Newport two weeks ago. Helps them get more fitness for Rose and Alderweireld and blood a few youngsters. Maybe 2 or 3 first team players max.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2018, 10:53:40 pm »
Fascinating how all the statistical / expg models have us as a virtual certainty for top 4 and most as favourites for 2nd

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2018, 10:55:00 pm »
Fascinating how all the statistical / expg models have us as a virtual certainty for top 4 and most as favourites for 2nd

Lets hope that translates on to the pitch continuously

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:38 pm »
Lets hope that translates on to the pitch continuously

Well would be nice :). The weakness of our remaining schedule is a big factor in the models rating us so much

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:54 pm »
Well would be nice :). The weakness of our remaining schedule is a big factor in the models rating us so much

Just need to have luck with injuries and not be complacent against those sides.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:32 pm »

West Ham 24th Feb, Newcastle on 3rd March, Porto 6th and then United away on 10th.

Looking at those first 3, they all should be comfortable wins. Our narrow lead from the first leg gives us a good opportunity to rest some key players in between two league games and you'd think we'll give some starts to the likes of Ings, Solanke, Lallana, Moreno, Klavan, possibly even Clyne and Woodburn? Will be interested to see whether we make wholesale changes or if that risks jarring our momentum slightly going into the United game.

Jurgen has said no rotation from here on in. Best 11 each game. Of course that will be injury permitting and 'horses for courses' in the odd game but it's heavy metal football from now to the end of the season. Hang on to your hats......
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline niallers

• Anny Roader
  • "dont worry marge,its only a quilt....MY COOKIE!"
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2018, 12:46:47 am »
Let's hope we've top 4 wrapped up before we play Chelsea 2nd last game so we can rest the entire first 11 for the final on May 26th.
in america 1st you get the sugar then you get the power then you get the women

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2018, 01:21:54 am »
I’d guess changed to Sunday .

No that would give us a day less preperation. Palace (a) is on Saturday 31/3, the CL QF will be Tues-Wed 3/4th April, followed by Everton (a) Saturday 7/4.

We've played 3 games in a week loads of times and so do the other clubs. Just doesn't seem to make any sense.
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2018, 02:29:01 am »
Jürgen has said no rotation from here on in. Best 11 each game. Of course that will be injury permitting and 'horses for courses' in the odd game but it's heavy metal football from now to the end of the season. Hang on to your hats......

The squad rotations that he made over the Christmas period are the reason we are able to play our best team now.  We should be able to finish the season out strong because of that work earlier in the season.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2018, 09:46:27 am »
What happens if Hazard gets injured?

Or Kane for Tottenham?

They are in the same boat as us. They don't  have direct replacements who are anywhere near the same class as their 1st choice attacking stars.

You are right to say injuries are important. Wrong to focus on just us. Spurs and Chelsea are equally vulnerable if their star player gets injured for any period of time.
Chelsea are incredibly dependent on Hazard, I agree, but in his absence they can still play two from Pedro, Willian and Fabregas in his attacking midfield role. Up front the have two decent players to chose from, though none is as good as Firmino.

Likewise Kane is hugely important for Spurs, and I don't actually know what they'd do without him. I think Son has played upfront at times. But they have cover in the positions behind Kane, so if Son moves up front, there's still Eriksen, Moura, Lamela and Alli left to choose from.

Sure, both teams need to adapt, and will lose creativity and goals missing their best players, but I think the drop off from our starting front 3 is still bigger than theirs. On the other hand our front 3 is the best in the league, so as long as no one is out for a long period, I think we'll make top 4 ahead of both Spurs and Chelsea.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2018, 09:55:51 am »
Chelsea are incredibly dependent on Hazard, I agree, but in his absence they can still play two from Pedro, Willian and Fabregas in his attacking midfield role. Up front the have two decent players to chose from, though none is as good as Firmino.

Likewise Kane is hugely important for Spurs, and I don't actually know what they'd do without him. I think Son has played upfront at times. But they have cover in the positions behind Kane, so if Son moves up front, there's still Eriksen, Moura, Lamela and Alli left to choose from.

Sure, both teams need to adapt, and will lose creativity and goals missing their best players, but I think the drop off from our starting front 3 is still bigger than theirs. On the other hand our front 3 is the best in the league, so as long as no one is out for a long period, I think we'll make top 4 ahead of both Spurs and Chelsea.

Kane has scored practically half their league goals this season. If he got injured they'd be royally fucked more than any other player in any other team getting injured would affect that particular side. They are literally Kane plus ten, they've got very little else.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:07 am »
Kane has scored practically half their league goals this season. If he got injured they'd be royally fucked more than any other player in any other team getting injured would affect that particular side. They are literally Kane plus ten, they've got very little else.
Fair enough. I didn't think Spurs would get top 4 at the start of the season, with Kane, so if they lose him to injury I wont argue that they could cope. He is hugely important to them obviously, but we're very dependent on Firmino as well.

It's a marginal call, but I'm not certain that say, Moura, Alli and Son, with Eriksen as well, isn't a better attack than Mane, Ings, Salah (with Lallana behind), all things considered. Not a lot in it though, and Firmino isn't injured often anyway, so I hope it wont matter in the end.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2018, 12:39:35 pm »
I feel strangely confident we will finish top 4. I feel we should finish second, but I wouldnt bet on it. Nice balance of games with pl and cl coming up. This is where we sort the men from the boys?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.