Author Topic: RIP Keith Chegwin (Cheggers)  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
RIP Keith Chegwin (Cheggers)
« on: December 11, 2017, 02:46:29 pm »
Veteran TV presenter Keith Chegwin has died aged 60 after a long illness, his family says.
They said he had endured a "long-term battle with a progressive lung condition" which "rapidly worsened towards the end of this year".
He died at home on Monday with his family by his side, who said they were "heartbroken".
Chegwin was known for hosting programmes including children's game show Cheggers Plays Pop and Swap Shop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42313706

RIP.

I remember his brilliant appearance on Extras, seemed like a great character. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:49:26 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: RIP Keith Chegwin (Cheggers)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:13 pm »
He adjusted well to taking the mickey out of his earlier career.

Still wish I'd never had the misfortune to see Naked Jungle on TV though.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:08:53 pm »
Surprised he was only 60, been around forever. That's no age, poor fella

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:53:42 pm »
RIP :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:39:09 pm »
A paradoxical character ...behind the perma-grin was a dark soul who struggled with chronic alcoholism and rehab...although he managed to get himself clean in his thirties and thankfully stayed that way

always seemed a really decent lad...sad that he's gone at such a relatively young age

RIP Cheggers
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:43:56 pm »
I’ve just remembered that I met him in the 90s...  he’d been clean a few years then...

Really nice guy, glad to see so many saying it too...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:23:38 pm »
RIP Cheggers
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:35:33 pm »
Am I the only one who remembers him from the comedy series the Wackers in the mid 70s? All about a typical, loveable, extended scouse family. It was awful, doubt it lasted beyond one series. Pleased that Cheggers career isn't defined by that bit of television.

He always seemed a likeable, genuine lad. Sixty, it's no age is it?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:57:59 pm »
...He always seemed a likeable, genuine lad. Sixty, it's no age is it?

Yes, I remember the first time I heard him was his show on Radio City back in the 70's when he was quite funny (though I did prefer Bleasdale's alter ego, The Franny Scully Show).

He always came across as being sound, no airs or graces, and never seemed to succumb to being a 'professional scouser' like some.

I suspect in real life he was probably exactly like he appeared on TV, probably a bit childish but with a sunny disposition and I doubt he ever had any enemies or held any grudges, he just never came across as that sort of person.

I think everyone probably had a bit of a soft spot for him.

All quite sad really.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:10:10 pm »
He was also in Roman Polanski’s Macbeth as Banquo’s son, remember getting a shock when watching that in our GCSE English class!

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »
I loved Cheggers.

I remember him in Brown Sauce, the pop song that the Swop Shop team did. Also the first celebrity couple I remember knowing having seen them be single, get married then get divorced.

It is great to see that everyone who really knew him seemed to like him and his totally engaging open smile was genuine. Nice that Maggie Philbin had nice things to say as well. I dont remember it being public why they split but I suppose it was the booze.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 05:21:17 pm »
Ended up on his twitter feed today somehow and some cracking little jokes and quips he tweeted over the months