Author Topic: The Apprentice 2017  (Read 24831 times)

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The Apprentice 2017
« Reply #40 on: October 5, 2017, 07:25:26 pm »
Anyone know where to watch this if not in the UK?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41 on: October 5, 2017, 07:56:39 pm »
What I don't understand pubs etc just buying food off someone who just walked in off the street without knowing anything about it.

Must admit sometimes I have to mute the sound because the cringe factor gets so bad.

The girl who lead the girls team last night seemed ok almost normal.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2017, 07:58:24 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #42 on: October 5, 2017, 08:29:00 pm »

The show, imo, would be so much better if they actually did have contestants who were bright, who actually had something about them, but then if they did that it wouldn't appeal to the idiot masses who watch it.

It would be absolutely fuckin shite if that was the format....the whole point of the show is that you spend the entire hour shouting and laughing at them for being c*nts...a simple point, but one that people like yourself who dont watch it cant seem to grasp
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 5, 2017, 08:41:06 pm »
It used to be good this, but now it's just edited to death now and it spoils the flow - half the time you don't even know what the fuck they're meant to be doing. I'm sitting there thinking I've missed something and rewind it.

Yeah last night was spectacularly bad.

The show's never quite got it right since it moved from being The Apprentice to effectively being The Partner - there's no real need to build up contestants throughout and get a sense of them, when 99% of the decision is based on the business plan...

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #44 on: October 6, 2017, 08:48:29 am »
Makes perfect sense to brand your product as luxury, and then buy shit cheap ingredients like the girls did in this task. It doesn't really matter if the product isn't actually luxury as they don't need to retain their customers. Designing it to appear luxury helps them sell at a higher price giving them a higher margin.

Absolutely, it doesn't take much working out that you can buy cheap mince (as the girls did) and sell it at a decent price as luxury burgers. 
There is no need to buy expensive Buffalo meat as you have to sell many more and charge a higher price (which will put customers off), just to recover your costs!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #45 on: October 6, 2017, 09:09:06 am »
That's the shite thing about this show and why I refuse to watch it... they aren't. They aren't even close to being great business minds, or even semi-competent business minds for the most part.

The show, imo, would be so much better if they actually did have contestants who were bright, who actually had something about them, but then if they did that it wouldn't appeal to the idiot masses who watch it.

What, watch 16 competent people do their jobs? Where's the fun in that? It's not a business show, it's a 'watch gormless twats with no self-awareness fuck up the most straightforward task' show.

There is something grimly hilarious about watching the girl's team make a complete hash of the task (water in the mince, cheap chicken for 'luxury' chicken burgers) yet still win because the boy's team managed somehow to make a loss selling burgers.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #46 on: October 6, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
What, watch 16 competent people do their jobs? Where's the fun in that? It's not a business show, it's a 'watch gormless twats with no self-awareness fuck up the most straightforward task' show.

Not do their job, but watch 16 competent people fiercely compete to show they are the best at what they do. I'd rather watch that personally than 16 gormless people fight it out for prize of biggest idiot.

I get why people would watch it, but it just infuriates me.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: October 6, 2017, 12:09:01 pm »
Not do their job, but watch 16 competent people fiercely compete to show they are the best at what they do. I'd rather watch that personally than 16 gormless people fight it out for prize of biggest idiot.

I get why people would watch it, but it just infuriates me.

Agreed. Watching 16 people who are actually good at business would be no different to watching the bake-off, which is generally about 12 people who are good at baking.

There would still be entertainment if they were good as there would still be arguments, disagreements and bad decisions etc. but you get the benefit of actually feeling as though the winner deserves it come the end of the show.

I get the feeling watching it now that anything good that the apprentices do is edited out anyway. They aren't all as regularly incompetent as it is made out. The producers just feel as though contestants making a good decision isn't entertainment.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #48 on: October 6, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »
Agreed. Watching 16 people who are actually good at business would be no different to watching the bake-off, which is generally about 12 people who are good at baking.

There would still be entertainment if they were good as there would still be arguments, disagreements and bad decisions etc. but you get the benefit of actually feeling as though the winner deserves it come the end of the show.

I get the feeling watching it now that anything good that the apprentices do is edited out anyway. They aren't all as regularly incompetent as it is made out. The producers just feel as though contestants making a good decision isn't entertainment.

I know someone who was on the show and she said exactly this.  She was the PM on the task where that guy came up with Pantsman and she was refusing to go with it but the production team were shutting down every other suggestion for whatever reason and pushed them into going with that.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »
I know someone who was on the show and she said exactly this.  She was the PM on the task where that guy came up with Pantsman and she was refusing to go with it but the production team were shutting down every other suggestion for whatever reason and pushed them into going with that.
That shouldn't surprise me, but to interfere in the actual tasks and not just edit it afterwards is going way too far.

They are definitely interfering in SurrrAlan's decision of who to fire - the only reason the lad with the milk bottle glasses stayed in is they thought he'd make good TV, annoying everyone else.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50 on: October 6, 2017, 02:19:40 pm »
That shouldn't surprise me, but to interfere in the actual tasks and not just edit it afterwards is going way too far.

They are definitely interfering in SurrrAlan's decision of who to fire - the only reason the lad with the milk bottle glasses stayed in is they thought he'd make good TV, annoying everyone else.

I'd have fired him for looking like Himmler.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 6, 2017, 02:44:56 pm »

I'd imagine that they would cite copyright issues and things like that when they turn ideas down. Plus their success is impacted by other things, like with the task on Wednesday, they would have already been limited to where they could buy and sell the burgers because certain butchers, markets, pubs and restaurants wouldn't have allowed the cameras in.

Don't Tell The Bride works in the same way if you've ever seen it. They shoot numerous ideas down until the participants come up with something that would be deemed entertaining, then when they are trying to book a wedding venue or trying buy the wedding clothes they are limited to places that will allow filming. One guy even said that he found a wedding dress that he wanted to buy, but the producers told him he couldn't get it because it looked too much like what his bride said she would like.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:43 pm »
“I have a background in break dancing"
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:23 pm »
Those rooms! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »
Some absolute weapons on the Mens team,actually all of them are.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 women in the final five.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 10:07:54 pm »
Some absolute weapons on the Mens team,actually all of them are.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 women in the final five.

That Manc with the Jeffrey Dhamer specs is unbearable too though. And the one with the tape measure is slightly unsettling too. Fuckwittery on both sides.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 10:08:34 pm »
More car crash TV.  Loved it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:30 pm »
That Manc with the Jeffrey Dhamer specs is unbearable too though. And the one with the tape measure is slightly unsettling too. Fuckwittery on both sides.

She was completely out of order calling the project manager a bell end.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:19 pm »

I know you have to take the editing with a pinch of salt but they way they were all badgering her to make all the decisions was ridiculous, presumably so they could pin the blame on her had they lost.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »

Maybe but I think you've got to enjoy anyone saying bellend on TV. An underrated insult imo

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:34 am »
Both rooms were horrendous, however, the concept of the girls room would have been much better if executed properly.   The Golf theme (on a golf course) wasn't a terrible idea, they just handled it so badly and their designs were hideous.

The boys was a total and utter disaster!   They wanted a "Best of Britain" theme so decided to paint the walls red, blue and... yellow!!
The idea was because the hotel has yellow in every room, they wanted to retain that!  Did they lose concept that they were creating a themed room, and therefore it should be different to the rest of the hotel?

Also, the "Best of Britain" theme started and ended with a badly drawn wallpaper of Tower Bridge.  That encapsulates the whole of Britain right there... a picture of Tower Bridge!
I couldn't believe it when they paid a fortune for those old suitcases to sit in the room as a feature.
While they were absolutely hopeless again this week, the girls team seems to have their fair share of nutters!!  There are a couple of people on that team that really are very strange indeed.  It was hilarious when they all got grouped together in the sub-team!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:38 am »
Both rooms were horrendous, however, the concept of the girls room would have been much better if executed properly.   The Golf theme (on a golf course) wasn't a terrible idea, they just handled it so badly and their designs were hideous.

The boys was a total and utter disaster!   They wanted a "Best of Britain" theme so decided to paint the walls red, blue and... yellow!!
The idea was because the hotel has yellow in every room, they wanted to retain that!  Did they lose concept that they were creating a themed room, and therefore it should be different to the rest of the hotel?

Also, the "Best of Britain" theme started and ended with a badly drawn wallpaper of Tower Bridge.  That encapsulates the whole of Britain right there... a picture of Tower Bridge!
I couldn't believe it when they paid a fortune for those old suitcases to sit in the room as a feature.
While they were absolutely hopeless again this week, the girls team seems to have their fair share of nutters!!  There are a couple of people on that team that really are very strange indeed.  It was hilarious when they all got grouped together in the sub-team!

Me and the wife were in hysterics at them paying £500 or whatever it was for some old suitcases that you'd probably find for a fiver in a fucking charity shop.

And then there was the red, blue and yellow walls :lmao

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:44 am »

The idea was because the hotel has yellow in every room, they wanted to retain that!

You realise most people reading this thread watch the show and know exactly what happened mate?  ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:29 am »
You realise most people reading this thread watch the show and know exactly what happened mate?  ;)

Yep. Just emphasising just how bad it was! :D

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 12:52:46 pm »
This is actually un-watchable now because of the editing. Turned it of last night.
And in short, I was afraid

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 02:13:05 pm »

The look on the face of the designer when she was told to just freestyle it all in a matter of seconds! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:50 pm »
The look on the face of the designer when she was told to just freestyle it all in a matter of seconds! ;D

Her face was a picture throughout. Probably imagining her up until then promising career going down the shitter, tarnished by association!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:25 pm »
I note that the favourite word of cockdribble business wannabees remains 'passionate'

How can any sane person be *passionate* about selling something to somebody else? It's become annoying common on CV's, too. FFS. "I have a real and deep passion for insurance broking", or "delivering uncompromisingly excellent service levels to customers, regardless of demographic and income stream, is my absolute vocational passion" (as said by the applicant for the role of Home Bargains checkout operative)

A new game idea when watching this shit is to down a bottle of this every time some chunk says 'passionate' or 'passion' when prostrating themselves in front of that smug c*nt Sugar.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:41:49 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 03:37:01 pm »
Still can't get over how horrific the boys' choice of colours for the bedroom was. How a group of grown men can't see how horrific it was, is beyond me. The design was the worst part of that shit show, and to be honest, it because it wasn't really designed...at all. Just put together.

The girls' room looked much nicer - needed some tweaking, but the basis of a good hotel room was there. Especially in comparison to the nonsense from the boys.
Stan Laurel

Offline Cha82

• Anny Roader
  • permanently confused
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2017, 07:02:42 pm »
Anyone know where to watch this if not in the UK?
I am living in portugal and I use identity cloaker. Easy to install and not expensive  :)

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:17 pm »
Hard to see how you could fuck that task up with a 14K budget...but somehow they both managed it.....all they had to do was buy a load of expensive furniture and some relatively neutral/inoffensive wallpaper and that was that.....but it was beyond both teams.....agree the boys side should have lost due to them somehow being even more fuckin hopeless than the girls, but would've kept the breakdancing tool in for comedy value...the team leader was a petulant, weak as piss, clueless tit and should it should've been him who got Sugar's welly
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »
Hard to see how you could fuck that task up with a 14K budget...but somehow they both managed it.....all they had to do was buy a load of expensive furniture and some relatively neutral/inoffensive wallpaper and that was that.....but it was beyond both teams.....agree the boys side should have lost due to them somehow being even more fuckin hopeless than the girls, but would've kept the breakdancing tool in for comedy value...the team leader was a petulant, weak as piss, clueless tit and should it should've been him who got Sugar's welly

I think the task was a lot trickier than it looked. You could easily go too far with trying to make the room look fancier than it needs to be.

The first task though. That was super easy.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »
I think the task was a lot trickier than it looked.

nah, it was an absolute piece of piss.....just pick up any interior/style magazine and copy it....with 14k in yer arsepocket to get you started....one of the easiest tasks the show's ever featured

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2017, 12:36:55 pm »
Some of these blokes ::)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »
People in here stating that the contestants can't be "great business minds" and are selected purely for the TV are wrong in my opinion. Yes I think some are selected for being mouthy, cocky and irritable but some of these are running their own successfull businesses which huge turnovers so surely they cant be that dim?

Anyways what I normally like to do is take the promotional poster before the series kicks off and cross off every person I think isnt going to win, based soley on how they look. Im 2 for 2!

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2017, 04:09:15 pm »
People in here stating that the contestants can't be "great business minds" and are selected purely for the TV are wrong in my opinion. Yes I think some are selected for being mouthy, cocky and irritable but some of these are running their own successfull businesses which huge turnovers so surely they cant be that dim?

Anyways what I normally like to do is take the promotional poster before the series kicks off and cross off every person I think isnt going to win, based soley on how they look. Im 2 for 2!
I said something along those lines earlier in the thread, but my reasoning is as such:

There's probably thousands of people, like them, who are business owners/manager/high flyers with a decent business plan who apply for the show, but producers know what makes the Apprentice tick, and what keeps brining people back year after year to watch it. Cringing at their ineptitude is one of them, thus why I - and others in this thread probably - think they are chosen before maybe some more able business minds in the application process or certainly applicants who would perform better in the tasks.

And on your second point, you are bang on. I took one look at them before the show and attempted to guess where they'd get to in the process and also their personalities - not far off so far, but didn't expect "breakdancing" from Jeff. Quite the surprise.
Stan Laurel

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2017, 04:34:06 pm »
I said something along those lines earlier in the thread, but my reasoning is as such:

There's probably thousands of people, like them, who are business owners/manager/high flyers with a decent business plan who apply for the show, but producers know what makes the Apprentice tick, and what keeps brining people back year after year to watch it. Cringing at their ineptitude is one of them, thus why I - and others in this thread probably - think they are chosen before maybe some more able business minds in the application process or certainly applicants who would perform better in the tasks.

And on your second point, you are bang on. I took one look at them before the show and attempted to guess where they'd get to in the process and also their personalities - not far off so far, but didn't expect "breakdancing" from Jeff. Quite the surprise.
I think as stated by others its got to be down to the editing. If they were filming a documentary in my office then I wouldnt be in. Only takes you to say one thing wrong by accident and they can make you look a fool.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 05:14:07 pm »
That mood board  :lmao  Tatters and faff tacked to a board. The fuck were they thinking?  :lmao
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2017, 12:16:07 pm »
I think as stated by others its got to be down to the editing. If they were filming a documentary in my office then I wouldnt be in. Only takes you to say one thing wrong by accident and they can make you look a fool.
And also the editing has gotten much more crass and ham-fisted.

PS Curse you for changing your profile picture ha!
Stan Laurel

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2017, 01:29:30 pm »
And also the editing has gotten much more crass and ham-fisted.
I think the whole show has gotten more crass as time has gone on. I used to love the early seasons because they had the best of both words in regards to competency. Now it feels like the balance has swung too far in the dopey direction and the purpose of the show is to just watch gormless idiots do gormless things. I wouldn't say it has been dumbed down as such (because let's face it, it was never a highbrow watch to begin with) but they've definitely started playing up the cringe element. I guess they feel they can get away with it since the candidate themselves is no longer solely what determines the winner.