Author Topic: The Ultimate Music Draft - Live and Loud 1953 to Present Day - Discussion Thread  (Read 59579 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Ultimate Music Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:32 pm »
Rory or Noel?  ;)

Also, the fuck's a Groundpig? I want one.
;D Twit.

Norrra  a Scouser, are you.

The Pig at one time were the best supported band in the city. Loved by the Scallies from both clubs here, footie fans and Scousers of various ages. You'd roll up and see 300/400 well dressed Scallies all at the gig to watch what was ostensibly a folk/bluegrass band play covers of Dylan,  Simon and Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Lindisfarne...and killer versions of theme music from Postman Pat, the Beverley Hillbillies...amongst others. Duelling Banjoes was excellent. They broke down into the duo that that was John and Graham and that duo carried on killing it in the various bars and clubs in the city.

Graham passed away in a hospice in 06 and that was the end of an era. John still plays, brilliantly, around the city, it's not the same with the madness that was Graham. Everyone who saw them play can attest to how much fun it was seeing them and how talented they were.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Fl8bYJM5Fp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Fl8bYJM5Fp4</a>
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #241 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
Cheers man, those were pretty much my first two as well, oddly enough. Think I had a mad run of listening to Stevie a couple of weeks ago, I tend to do that every few months or so. The dude is insanely talented. Obliterated pretty much everyone in the 70s, in my opinion, a crazy run of albums.

I came to him far too late, growing up as an 80s indie kid and having a narrow view of him based on the more poppy stuff he was releasing at the time. Then went to see Spike Lee's Jungle Fever in '91 and realised I'd been missing out. When I heard Talking Book for the first time, completey blown away. 
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #242 on: September 10, 2017, 08:33:38 pm »
Bob makes an appearance  8)

That festival's off to a blinding start! A heavyweight pick from Hazell  :)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2017, 08:42:31 pm »
Velvet Underground & Sigur Ros - terrific picks. Surprised Sigur Ros got picked this early but awesome pick nonetheless. Early days but shaping up great so far.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2017, 08:45:43 pm »
Love the left field Blue Aeroplanes pick! Those dance moves  ;D

Hazell with the Big Daddy pick too. I never absolutely loved Dylan's music, though I do occasionally listen to it, but I massively respect him for his impact. And no-one interviewed better than this guy!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:21 pm »
Bob makes an appearance  8)

That festival's off to a blinding start! A heavyweight pick from Hazell  :)

Thanks! A bit of a safe pick I know but '60's Dylan was awesome so glad to have got him.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »
Was wondering when Dylan would show up. Awesome pick.
;D Twit.

Norrra  a Scouser, are you.

Na mate, I'm a gog - grew up with the dulcet tones of male voice choirs and molested sheep ringing in my ears, none of your folk weirdness for me! Bloody hippies... ;)

Just kidding, they sound class actually. My mum loves all that folk stuff, she used to play the fiddle with a couple of bands and that, I'll ask her if she knows of the mighty Groundpig. I used to hate that stuff as a kid but am coming round to it more and more these days.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2017, 08:59:29 pm »
Was wondering when Dylan would show up. Awesome pick.
Na mate, I'm a gog - grew up with the dulcet tones of male voice choirs and molested sheep ringing in my ears, none of your folk weirdness for me! Bloody hippies... ;)

Just kidding, they sound class actually. My mum loves all that folk stuff, she used to play the fiddle with a couple of bands and that, I'll ask her if she knows of the mighty Groundpig. I used to hate that stuff as a kid but am coming round to it more and more these days.
I'm a fan of male voice choirs. I love Wales....best place in the UK for cycling.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #248 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »
Rolling Stones. Yup

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 10, 2017, 09:04:04 pm »
Rolling Stones. Yup

Wait for Dave to tell us how shite they were/are

:)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »
Couple of big guns gone with the last picks.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:15 pm »

They're no Groundpig ;)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:50 pm »
Rolling Stones. Yup

Never heard of them.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2017, 09:06:55 pm »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2017, 09:06:56 pm »
They're no Groundpig ;)

The band the Rolling Stones could have been

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:51 pm »

Who dem.... :P

Contrary to how it might appear I like music from all different genres. I know my taste in music is impeccable and I know people think I'm elitist, but still I can dig the cleverness needed to make good of pop music like...the first Spice Girls single and still love the genius that we hear in the overture in Tannhauser, and onto the corps of Paris Opera Ballet dancing to the music of Prokofiev's Cinderella. Just because I love opera and ballet doesn't mean I'm elitist, on the contrary it means I'm open to all musical experiences.

As to The Stones...they'll tell you the same as I , they too looked back to The Blues for their musical inspirations....and I have lots of their early LP's in my music catalogue.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: September 10, 2017, 09:18:44 pm »

As to The Stones...they'll tell you the same as I , they too looked back to The Blues for their musical inspirations....and I have lots of their early LP's in my music catalogue.

Yeah big time blues influenced Dave

As are the first band I'm picking should they not go before it gets to me.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:52 pm »
Yeah big time blues influenced Dave

As are the first band I'm picking should they not go before it gets to me.

Chas 'n' Dave?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 10, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »
Chas 'n' Dave?

(who in fairness are actually pretty good musicians)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2017, 09:21:59 pm »
Nice Lastrador

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RD1KqbDdmuE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RD1KqbDdmuE</a>

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2017, 09:22:56 pm »
Aww yeah. Love a bit of Led Zep! Talking about heavy blues influences, these were in my head  :)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #262 on: September 10, 2017, 09:24:09 pm »
Aww yeah. Love a bit of Led Zep! Talking about heavy blues influences, these were in my head  :)
Boss covers band, them ,la.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #263 on: September 10, 2017, 09:24:34 pm »
(who in fairness are actually pretty good musicians)
Labi Siffre thought so.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:59 pm »
Chas 'n' Dave?

There ain't no pleasin' you is there?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:09 pm »
Boss covers band, them ,la.

:D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pTsvs-pAGDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pTsvs-pAGDc</a>

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:39 pm »
Woulda shoulda coulda just picked the Travelling Wilburys Hazell

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »
Labi Siffre thought so.

yep, those backing vocals he did on Rabbit were great  ;)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 10, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »
Doing alright here with the pace of the draft aren't we? Be decent if we get the 1st round of picks done by the 11pm deadline tonight :)

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: September 10, 2017, 09:30:54 pm »
There ain't no pleasin' you is there?

No, darlin'

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #270 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »
yep, those backing vocals he did on Rabbit were great  ;)
You're another twit. ;D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: September 10, 2017, 09:33:10 pm »
Led Zep, eh? We're cooking on gas now.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 10, 2017, 09:33:12 pm »
Go on Crosby Nick pick 'Wings' next. I know you want to.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2017, 09:34:09 pm »
:D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pTsvs-pAGDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pTsvs-pAGDc</a>

Holy shitballs! Never heard that before. Knew about some other 'covers' though.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:06 pm »
LZ and RS both majorly influenced by blues and jazz.

Muddy Waters, BB King, Lead Belly, and others all played major roles.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:25 pm »
Great pick Noname!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »
Great pick, mate. London Calling's a ridiculous album, and I really got into Sandinista too, though it took me a bit longer. Excellent choice.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:32 pm »
The Clash, a slightly better Men Without Hats.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2017, 09:43:20 pm »
The Clash, a slightly better Men Without Hats.

Only slightly!?
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2017, 10:01:08 pm »
Done, chose some bird.