Author Topic: Holiday 2018  (Read 21045 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Holiday 2018
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 02:49:35 am »
Cheap flights to mate. My outward flight was only 16 quid.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 02:50:56 am »
My accomodation was only 13 quid a night for my own room.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 06:06:21 am »
See a few people are passing through Singapore. I live here now so feel free to ask for any recommendations or tips if at a loss.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Holiday lets (Spain)
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2018, 03:33:06 pm »
Hi all

Wondered if anyone could suggest either good sites to book holiday apartments (not air b n b last time used that ended up in a womans spare room in Amsterdam and the only rule was no hard drugs)- Spain, Balearics etc, for self catering.

Or even better if any of you go regularly and can recommend specific places/apartments.

After going for a week or so in june, self catering, somewhere not packed out with tourists but with a nice buzz, good food and drink and a few decent bars. I don't ask much.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh and im not being lazy but always enjoy peoples tried and tested suggestions, cheers

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Holiday lets (Spain)
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2018, 07:07:43 pm »
Owners direct is similar to Air BnB. Never used it though.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: Holiday lets (Spain)
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2018, 08:20:30 am »
Homeaway is an option as well (they own owners direct)

Also TripAdvisor has a facility for accomodation.

We go to Denia in south East Spain, a few Brits but its also popular with the Spanish.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 09:33:17 am »
See a few people are passing through Singapore. I live here now so feel free to ask for any recommendations or tips if at a loss.

Hi mate. I'll be spending three days in Singapore on my honeymoon in July.

Any recommendations of things to see other than the usual stuff? Would appreciate some good restaurant recommendations too if you don't mind.

I'm looking at staying around Tiong Bahru market. Decent place to base ourselves?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 09:38:51 am »

Any recommendations of things to see other than the usual stuff? Would appreciate some good restaurant recommendations too if you don't mind.

I'm looking at staying around Tiong Bahru market. Decent place to base ourselves?

Sorry for hijacking a question directed to Dan but the most touristy thing you could do is to go to the Raffles Hotel, order the Singapore Sling, crack open the complimentary bag of peanuts and litter their floor. Depends if this up your alley or the exact opposite :D

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2018, 09:39:01 am »
I'm also visiting Singapore end of June for about four days. Would love some tips on travel (Uber or Grab?) and stuff to see that's not on the beaten path

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 09:57:54 am »
Off to Bilbao for a long weekend soon so any tips on places to go, bars, restaurants etc. greatly appreciated.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2018, 10:58:31 am »
Off to Bilbao for a long weekend soon so any tips on places to go, bars, restaurants etc. greatly appreciated.

Went in February - enjoyed it despite the bad weather.

We basically spent the weekend grazing in tapas bars. Usually had one drink and one small plate then moved on and went somewhere else.

Some of the good bars (worth starring in Google Maps):

Gatz
Motrikes
Bar El Eme
Plaza Campuzano Taberna
La Sausería
Most places around the Centro Historico

A nice white wine to try is the local Txakoli.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2018, 01:41:51 pm »
Going to america tomorrow :D

New york,Chicago,San Francisco, Vegas

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2018, 01:43:44 pm »
Going to america tomorrow :D

New york,Chicago,San Francisco, Vegas

Great break!!

Shit timing mind

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:38 pm »
Went in February - enjoyed it despite the bad weather.

We basically spent the weekend grazing in tapas bars. Usually had one drink and one small plate then moved on and went somewhere else.

Some of the good bars (worth starring in Google Maps):

Gatz
Motrikes
Bar El Eme
Plaza Campuzano Taberna
La Sausería
Most places around the Centro Historico

A nice white wine to try is the local Txakoli.
Thanks very much for this, what does starring in Google maps mean ?

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 01:53:35 pm »
Thanks very much for this, what does starring in Google maps mean ?
I'm guessing he means favourite it on Google Maps like when you bookmark a website

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2018, 01:59:00 pm »
Ah OK cheers, will do that.

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Factor 3rd Place WINNER
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:59 pm »
Me and the shadowy warlock that I co-habit with are off on holiday in September. Our son will be pretty much turning 1 year old when we go, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Want somewhere sunny, that doesn't take too long to get to and isn't too booze centric. 
Hold a powerful magnet against your stomach and then run it up your body until it's under your chin.

While wearing your mum's skin as a hat.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 02:52:54 pm »
Goin to Gran Canaria for our 25th wedding anniversary in September, our (grown up) kids are coming too..can't wait for that.
Gonna have a week in Ibiza in June too..was our 1st trip abroad together 27 an a bit years ago & will be heading for a quieter area this time around.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 03:13:15 pm »
Me and the shadowy warlock that I co-habit with are off on holiday in September. Our son will be pretty much turning 1 year old when we go, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Want somewhere sunny, that doesn't take too long to get to and isn't too booze centric. 

Santa Ponsa on Majorca is nice, couple of hours flight and not far from the airport. We went a few Septembers ago when the boys were 5 and 8 and it was 88f. Also been to Benalmadena near Malaga when they were 2 and 4, that was quite a nice place, big beach. Menorca is also nice and we took the eldest to a Thompson Holiday village near Albuifera in Portugal when he was 10 weeks old, again that was a nice place. My two also love Tenerife and Zante.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2018, 03:50:59 pm »
Santa Ponsa on Majorca is nice, couple of hours flight and not far from the airport. We went a few Septembers ago when the boys were 5 and 8 and it was 88f. Also been to Benalmadena near Malaga when they were 2 and 4, that was quite a nice place, big beach. Menorca is also nice and we took the eldest to a Thompson Holiday village near Albuifera in Portugal when he was 10 weeks old, again that was a nice place. My two also love Tenerife and Zante.

Thanks bud, will have a look in to these.
Hold a powerful magnet against your stomach and then run it up your body until it's under your chin.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2018, 05:22:50 pm »
Check out Son Bou in Menorca, ticks all the boxes. Also has a gorgeous beach with crystal clear water that stays shallow quite far from the beach.
Took advantage of a great thomas cook deal for Hammermat in Tunisia, 2 weeks in august in a 4* hotel, all incl, private beach etc, 2k for me & wife.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2018, 06:20:10 pm »
Going to Italy (Venice area) for a week with the family then Berlin in October with the missus.
Y.N.W.A.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »
Got our regular January trip to Tenerife booked, although the apartments we stay in are being refurbed, so there is a bunch of us who all stay at the same time not sure exactly where we will be, we'll get something sorted though. Got a villa booked in Menorca for June and missus is now looking at Lanzarote as we've just got £2100 from Virgin as compo for a 24 hour delay in Orlando.

She even knows where we are going in 2019!!!! She's 50 in the July, so we are doing Florida again, but either a couple of months before her birthday or Sept/Oct. We've no-one to mind the kids for a week now, so they are coming, hence Florida, I was going to take her on the Queen Mary to NY otherwise.

Due what I now know as anxiety and depression, I didn't enjoy our holiday to Tenerife this year. The place was fully refurbished and was lovely, but I couldn't relax at all. Menorca at the start of June I am really looking forwards to now and then the wife did book Lanzarote for October.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2018, 07:30:37 pm »
Due what I now know as anxiety and depression, I didn't enjoy our holiday to Tenerife this year. The place was fully refurbished and was lovely, but I couldn't relax at all. Menorca at the start of June I am really looking forwards to now and then the wife did book Lanzarote for October.

Something nice to look forward to mate.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
Check out Son Bou in Menorca, ticks all the boxes. Also has a gorgeous beach with crystal clear water that stays shallow quite far from the beach.
Took advantage of a great thomas cook deal for Hammermat in Tunisia, 2 weeks in august in a 4* hotel, all incl, private beach etc, 2k for me & wife.

Thanks for the heads up mate

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #65 on: May 9, 2018, 03:47:25 pm »
Just booked Crete, Gouves in September.

Looked more into the location after booking and there's an 'Anfield Bar' just down the road from where we stay!
@JonnYNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2018, 12:53:11 pm »
Excellence Resort Punta Cana Dominican Republic in 10 days time

14 nights AI.  Free Upgrade to an Excellence Club master suite and use of the EC facilities too.

Day in Kiev first like :)

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2018, 02:29:32 pm »
Excellence Resort Punta Cana Dominican Republic in 10 days time

14 nights AI.  Free Upgrade to an Excellence Club master suite and use of the EC facilities too.

Day in Kiev first like :)

Went to punta Cana a few years back. Loved it. Stayed in hotel Rio something or other. Amazing beaches. Bar stocked in the room every day and optics too. Great relaxing break. I ended up going off the resort a fair bit though even tho it was advised against... got a bit of cabin fever despite it being huge.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2018, 04:02:21 pm »
Went to punta Cana a few years back. Loved it. Stayed in hotel Rio something or other. Amazing beaches. Bar stocked in the room every day and optics too. Great relaxing break. I ended up going off the resort a fair bit though even tho it was advised against... got a bit of cabin fever despite it being huge.

Nice one, good to hear.  I think the DR rep has increased significantly over the years.  We went to the same Excellence resort in Mexico a few years back and it was bloody ace.

I appreciate some people can't understand travelling all that way to an AI and not really leave the resort but we love it every couple of years.  Just kick back, relax, eat and drink.  Put it this way, I am never ready to leave and go back to work after 14 days :)

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2018, 04:13:28 pm »
Yes in terms of relaxing it was without question my favourite holiday. Plenty of sun, about 7 pools 6restaurants and a late nightclub. Was perfect to unwind. The beaches are stunning and if you don’t drink rum you’ll be hooked on the stuff when you return!!!
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2018, 10:55:07 pm »
 Off to Paros for 2 days on Wednesday night then on to Naxos for 3 weeks.   8)

Can't wait, it's been a stressful year so far.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2018, 11:53:16 pm »
Going to Italy (Venice area) for a week with the family then Berlin in October with the missus.

Off on Saturday, cant wait.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2018, 12:34:48 pm »
Off on Saturday, cant wait.

Just back from Venice, have a spritz and chicetti for me sarge :D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 02:58:37 pm »
Going to Gran Canaria in a week on Saturday then looking to book Mauritius around November/early December. Mauritius looks really beautiful and it's somewhere the missus has wanted to go for a few years now. Any rawkites been? Best areas to stay?

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:46 pm »
Cancun for the first time on Saturday
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 08:50:16 am »

Sorry I’m so late with the reply. Haven’t been in this thread much considering the month the reds have had!

Three days is enough time to get a feel for the place. You’ll end up repeating yourself if you were here longer.

Singapore is a walking city so I suggest a few strolls around Marina Bay for views and the waterfront, Chinatown-Outram Park-Telok Ayer for some of the old colonial terrace buildings which house bars-restaurants and such. Both these spots are in the CBD.

If you walk along the river you have three separate Quays that are also full of bars and restaurants, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay and Robertson Quay. The first two are by far the busier. Boat Quay is more a pint and a meal while Clarke is more clubby. Be warned they are expat/tourist heavy.

Orchard Road is where you get your shopping done, but it’s all the same nonsense you get everywhere. Little India and Bugis are interesting for food, I particularly like Haji Lane in Bugis, next to the grand Mosque.

Sentosa is a bit of a resort with beaches, Universal studios, few bars. Not sure I’d bother if you’re here for only three days though. The Tree Top walk at MacRitchie Park is really nice, a part of the jungle in the middle of the city.

In terms of restaurants, I won’t let my suggestions ruin a Honeymoon! But there are loads of high end options, all cuisines are catered for. Do try the hawkers though, some great food can be found for under a fiver.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2018, 08:52:10 am »
I'm also visiting Singapore end of June for about four days. Would love some tips on travel (Uber or Grab?) and stuff to see that's not on the beaten path

Grab is the big one, more drivers than Uber. Pricing is fairly comparable.

Considering how expensive a lot of things can be here, taxis are very reasonable!

Offline QR350

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2018, 10:52:14 am »
Grab is the big one, more drivers than Uber. Pricing is fairly comparable.

Considering how expensive a lot of things can be here, taxis are very reasonable!
I've downloaded Grab but it gives an error message so I'll just try it over there. Do you know what the exchange rate is at the moment? Changi has 1.77 I'm told, better than anything over here

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:10 pm »
I've downloaded Grab but it gives an error message so I'll just try it over there. Do you know what the exchange rate is at the moment? Changi has 1.77 I'm told, better than anything over here

Spot rate is currently 1.78.

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=SGD

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2018, 01:14:30 pm »

Yeah Grab works a charm when you’re out here. It’s 1.78 on my XE app. Was 2 to a pound when I first got here in 2016  :-X