Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2878482 times)

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - African Player of the Year 2017
« Reply #3080 on: February 19, 2018, 01:42:43 pm »
if De Gea stops making saves - what does he actually contribute to the team?

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3081 on: February 19, 2018, 02:19:00 pm »
At this point in time there is nothing any journalist or writer could put down that would capture what's going on with Mo Salah in his debut season.

I have not heard a single spoken word from the boy interview, yet he is scoring the quantity of peak Ronaldo and often the quality goals of Messi.

It's magic, it is strange, it is utterly brilliant and yes, Monchi at Roma is having to issue statements to the effect that no, Roma were not the biggest mugs in football transfer history because they had to sell at that time.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #3082 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:18 pm »
Derek Mcgovern is a Red and is a total pisstaker. He's never wrote a serious piece in his life

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #3083 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:37 pm »

A beard
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #3084 on: February 19, 2018, 03:46:11 pm »
Yeah the only thing you can say is he's over achieving his expected goals - 'running hot' - a bit more than is sustainable so you wouldn't expect him to hit quite the number of goals he's hit this season
but his shot numbers are pretty monstrous - basically the same as Aguero's - so he's going to score a lot of goals for as long as he plays in this team

Whilst I agree, I would also point out that his shots are steadily increasing, just as Kane's have been year on year. Which means that even if he dips into a more human conversation rate, you would hope that an increasing shot volume as he adapts to the goalscorer role rather than play maker one sees his goal output stay pretty high.

Unlike say Josh King who some on here were clamouring for us to sign in the summer. I pointed out at the time his shot numbers have always been low, were still low last season but just had an outrageous conversation rate outscoring xG a lot. There was nothing to suggest it would be sustainable and low and behold he is back to being at best a 1 in 6 goalscorer rather than 1 in 2 last season. Andre Gray is another example from the summer of a player you could predict would struggle.

So yes, based on Salah's current shot numbers I suspect he won't score as many next season. However, if you use his projected shot numbers, who knows. :D

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3085 on: February 19, 2018, 03:52:54 pm »

He would probably contribute more than #pogboom
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3086 on: February 19, 2018, 10:54:08 pm »
I see what McGovern is trying to say but I disagree with him pretty much fully. Salah's all round game is better than Torres's for a start. He holds onto possession better, his touch is tighter, his awareness of his teammates is much better. "When the goals dry up" is a bit vague also. Why would they dry up? Torres's dried up because the injuries caught up with him and he lost that acceleration and he moved to a side that was set up to play with a target man like Drogba and just required a number 9 that was a better footballer. There's no indication that injuries will kill Mo's pace, no indication that Klopp will switch to a style that wouldn't take advantage of his pace and movement in the way it does now and I've covered how Salah's game outside of pace and movement is clearly stronger than Torres's.

Overall, it's a bit of lazy idea.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: February 19, 2018, 11:18:20 pm »
Not reading it past that opening line.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:50 am »
I see what McGovern is trying to say but I disagree with him pretty much fully. Salah's all round game is better than Torres's for a start. He holds onto possession better, his touch is tighter, his awareness of his teammates is much better. "When the goals dry up" is a bit vague also. Why would they dry up? Torres's dried up because the injuries caught up with him and he lost that acceleration and he moved to a side that was set up to play with a target man like Drogba and just required a number 9 that was a better footballer. There's no indication that injuries will kill Mo's pace, no indication that Klopp will switch to a style that wouldn't take advantage of his pace and movement in the way it does now and I've covered how Salah's game outside of pace and movement is clearly stronger than Torres's.

Overall, it's a bit of lazy idea.

It's not lazy, it's absolute tripe.

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3089 on: February 20, 2018, 01:23:27 am »
It's satirical though.

Honestly, is it not satirical?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:14:50 am by Avens »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: February 20, 2018, 08:46:12 am »
McGovern is writing his next piece now. If De Gea lost both is hands would be still be the best keeper in the league?

An interesting debate.

He's also delving into other sports if Federer couldn't serve overarm would he still be a 20 time grand slam champion.

Incredible insightful journalism.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3091 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:04 am »
Derek Mcgovern is a Red and is a total pisstaker. He's never wrote a serious piece in his life

Yet some on here are actually taking him seriously, he should probably give up the satire.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #3092 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59:50 am »
Yet some on here are actually taking him seriously, he should probably give up the satire.

I genuinely cannot believe some people read that and take him seriously. I hope they never catch an episode of Brass Eye.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3093 on: February 20, 2018, 11:53:31 am »
I genuinely cannot believe some people read that and take him seriously. I hope they never catch an episode of Brass Eye.

Mate, please please please don't compare that attempt at satire with Brass Eye. It's like comparing one of my 2 year old nephew's drawings with the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

FWIW, his writing style is obviously comedic (or attempting to be) - the RvN horse references and the 'having to give Defoe away' jibe - but that doesn't make it obvious satire. All the examples of prolific players he's cited are actually fairly true - RvN, Defoe and Allen all arguably "contributed nothing" but scored goals. What Chris Morris would have done would be to write a sincere article about how if Salah's goals dried up, assists dried up, stretching the opposition dried up, work rate dried up, etc, THEN what are we left with? Instead this guy just comes across as a pillock :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:55:04 am by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3094 on: February 20, 2018, 12:28:13 pm »

Considering the tripe usually served up from the Echo, I don't think its a massive shock  :-[
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #3095 on: February 20, 2018, 12:55:47 pm »
Mate, please please please don't compare that attempt at satire with Brass Eye. It's like comparing one of my 2 year old nephew's drawings with the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

FWIW, his writing style is obviously comedic (or attempting to be) - the RvN horse references and the 'having to give Defoe away' jibe - but that doesn't make it obvious satire. All the examples of prolific players he's cited are actually fairly true - RvN, Defoe and Allen all arguably "contributed nothing" but scored goals. What Chris Morris would have done would be to write a sincere article about how if Salah's goals dried up, assists dried up, stretching the opposition dried up, work rate dried up, etc, THEN what are we left with? Instead this guy just comes across as a pillock :)

Agreed. He is far from being good, or even decent, at what he was attempting. My point was more that if your starting point is to take everything literally then you could encounter problems.

Also agree that he is a pillock. :D

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #3096 on: February 20, 2018, 01:08:25 pm »
lol. so bitter. the tears.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3097 on: February 20, 2018, 02:57:30 pm »
I don't remember the goals ever drying up for Torres when he was with us? When did that happen? For that reason, it is obviously satire.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
Even if it was satire, they know very well they didn't put it up because they thought it was funny, they put it up knowing it would get clicks and a reaction. And the fact that you can't really be sure whether an article is for real or satire tells us a lot about the quality of journalism in the Echo recently...

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3099 on: February 21, 2018, 10:54:38 pm »
Just when you think you can't love the lad even more ... https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/salah-stuns-fans-in-chippy-14321802

Seems such a humble and decent guy ... oh man, I feel as supporters we're starting to get man love for another player
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: February 22, 2018, 11:08:22 am »
And the same Echo continues to carry clickbait headlines about transfers away.
They are no better than talkshite

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3101 on: February 22, 2018, 11:30:51 am »
p

What a bloke, looking fly in the Shankly Jacket

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3102 on: February 22, 2018, 11:35:45 am »

Thye are terrible

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3103 on: February 22, 2018, 12:53:37 pm »

It's the same with all trinity mirror affiliates, horrible designs, clickbait headlines (although they've moved away from the Buzzfeed style), bombarded by advertisements. The Echo is still reasonable but the sports side is horrible, and it's same for the Mirror.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3104 on: February 22, 2018, 01:11:12 pm »
The moving ads (jump down the page as you try to scroll and take up 1/3rd of the screen) are what absolutely drive me insane.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3105 on: February 22, 2018, 01:18:32 pm »
Just when you think you can't love the lad even more ... https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/salah-stuns-fans-in-chippy-14321802

Seems such a humble and decent guy ... oh man, I feel as supporters we're starting to get man love for another player

Yup. I can feel torres levels of man love building.....are we all setting ourselves up again....?

Rarely does a player endear himself to us as quickly as he has. He seems almost too nice and too good to be true !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3106 on: February 22, 2018, 01:20:57 pm »
Yup. I can feel torres levels of man love building.....are we all setting ourselves up again....?

Yep, I am! We've still got a few years of him anyway I reckon. Tis better to have loved and lost...
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3107 on: February 22, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »
Yep, I am! We've still got a few years of him anyway I reckon. Tis better to have loved and lost...

.....oh the end of that quote can now be completed so many ways on a football forum

(....rafa than have got mourinho at all ?)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3108 on: February 22, 2018, 01:55:09 pm »
Wasn’t Salah filming an advert? .... if so it’s pretty funny that it’s being taken as an example of what a down to earth great guy he is

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3109 on: February 22, 2018, 02:00:21 pm »
Wasn’t Salah filming an advert? .... if so it’s pretty funny that it’s being taken as an example of what a down to earth great guy he is

The fact a King would even be seen with the common folk to film an advert is example enough.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3110 on: February 22, 2018, 02:41:54 pm »

I think he was - but apparently he took the time out extra to do the pictures with the fans that approached him (and apparently also decided to have a meal at the restaurant instead of just leaving). Either way - from all accounts he comes across as super humble and approachable.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3111 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:35 pm »
http://bbc.in/2F13fUA 

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah says he dreams of winning the Premier League and wants to do "something special" in this season's Champions League.

The Anfield club can go second in the league by beating West Ham on Saturday and lead Porto 5-0 after the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

Egypt international Salah has scored 22 goals in 26 league games since signing from Roma for £34m last June.

"I came to here to win titles," the 25-year-old told Football Focus.

Ex-Chelsea player Salah made three substitute appearances totalling 30 minutes when the Blues won the league in 2014-15, ending the season on loan in Italy at Fiorentina.

He spent the following season on loan at Roma before joining the Serie A side for £12m in August 2016.

Salah has made a huge impact on his return to the Premier League and hopes his efforts can propel Liverpool to a first trophy since 2012.

"I can tell the fans we work 100% to try and win something for the club," he said.

"It's a long time since the club won the league. It's my dream to win the Premier League - but I want to win it with this club."

'Much more to come from me'

As well as scoring 22 times, Salah has also provided seven assists in an outstanding start to his Liverpool career - but he reserves praise for his Anfield team-mates.

"It's easy to play with this kind of quality," he said. "If you look at me now and five years ago, everything has changed both mentally and physically.

"I'm trying to improve myself every day. I always like to put myself under pressure to improve more.

"I give all my life to football, I only think about football. This is what is on my mind all the time."

Salah has come a long way since making daily nine-hour round trips from his home village of Nagrig to train and play for Arab Contractors (El Mokawloon) in Cairo at the age of 14.

He travelled by bus - sometimes changing five times - and those sacrifices he made as a teenager to follow his dream of reaching the top have paid off.

This summer, Salah will feel the weight of a nation on his shoulders when Egypt take on hosts Russia, Uruguay and Saudi Arabia at the World Cup. It is a challenge he is relishing.

"I gave a lot for football because I wanted to be as professional as possible. I was travelling nine hours a day," said Salah, the 2017 BBC African Footballer of the Year.

"I want all Egyptian people to follow my way to improve themselves. We are a huge country. We have many children. I want everyone to dream and feel they can do something."

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: February 23, 2018, 04:49:37 pm »
"It's a long time since the club won the league. It's my dream to win the Premier League - but I want to win it with this club."

Weird, because according to our rivals fans he's off to Madrid in the summer  :wave

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3113 on: February 23, 2018, 05:53:07 pm »
That BBC article had some stats, he's one goal behind Kane having had 47 less shots.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: February 23, 2018, 06:33:44 pm »
That BBC article had some stats, he's one goal behind Kane having had 47 less shots.

Pretty impressive considering, despite his huge number of goals, he still comes across as quite wasteful whereas Kane's considered very clinical.

Maybe Salah's just missed a few memorable sitters whilst Kane's misses are mainly from less realistic goal scoring opportunities and hence don't make the highlights.

Damn impressive by Mo either way. Gets a hell of a lot more assists than the golden boy too.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3115 on: February 23, 2018, 06:34:10 pm »
I promised never to 'love' a player after Torres but Suarez wielded his magic spell and I promised never to 'love' a player again.....but.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3116 on: February 23, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »
Pretty impressive considering, despite his huge number of goals, he still comes across as quite wasteful whereas Kane's considered very clinical.

Maybe Salah's just missed a few memorable sitters whilst Kane's misses are mainly from less realistic goal scoring opportunities and hence don't make the highlights.

Damn impressive by Mo either way. Gets a hell of a lot more assists than the golden boy too.

I was saying to a mate yesterday, and this might be controversial, that I still haven't seem have a game without mistakes I.e. not keeping possession, poor pass or missing a sitter with his right foot. He hasnt had a truly outstanding game. Just imagine if he plays a game error free ! I think he has room for improvement and then we have a player who is potentially a Messi level of player. He will improve yet further and then all teams will be terrified of him

A wonderful talent

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3117 on: February 23, 2018, 06:44:10 pm »
He should have scored more with chances he's had. Bodes well.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3118 on: February 24, 2018, 05:23:04 pm »
Equaled Luis Suarez best season for us in terms of goals (31) but the mad fucker had double the assists of Mo.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3119 on: February 24, 2018, 05:24:23 pm »
Equaled Luis Suarez best season for us in terms of goals (31) but the mad fucker had double the assists of Mo.

Quite a few games left for Mo to add to his goals and assists tally.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.