Author Topic: The first General Election of 2017  (Read 163830 times)

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
Re: Election Fallout and Wholesale Revisionism (please stop) Topic
« Reply #4160 on: June 27, 2017, 11:20:51 am »
And I agree with you also.  But on the upside for NI the worst of the troubles have subsided over the past 20 odd years.  Now perhaps this investment will help kickstart development, but it's important to remember Liverpool wouldn't be where it is without EU Objective One funding, and we're likely not alone.  The last Labour government got pissy with Liverpool over £170m for Merseytram ffs.

Bottom line is that if the government can get away with giving you funding, they will.

Absolutely. There is no doubt that this deal by the Tories is purely out of self interest and the DUP will be under no illusions otherwise. Indeed, they have made this deal not because of the Tories but because of self interest also. The same is true for NI regarding EU funding. So much of the great work that has been done here since the Good Friday Agreement has been thanks to peace funding from the EU as opposed to investment from Labour/Tory governments.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #4161 on: June 27, 2017, 11:44:02 am »
Catholic and Protestant businesses were both guilty of not hiring members of "the other side of the house" but you're right that this wasn't beneficial to the economy. I think you're referring more to structural inequality in the public sector though. Discrimination was more of an issue in unionist councils, and to a lesser extent nationalist councils due to those being a minority, as opposed to the private sector. The most serious blows to the private sector were still a result of the Troubles. It was held back by the inefficiences you described but only brought to the brink of destruction from the late sixties/early seventies.
Interesting article re the decline of H&W (and the problems faced by private sector) in Belfast due to the sectarian divide
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sectarianism-and-the-shipyard-1.916936

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4162 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:07 pm »
Brexit put the 'little' in Englander rather than the 'great' in Britain, shamelessly stolen from this which is Gary Younges explanation of why everyone was so wrong about Corbyn not giving him a chance and why it was possible to get it so wrong.https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2017/jun/23/a-shock-to-the-system-how-corbyn-changed-the-rules-of-british-politics-podcast
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4163 on: June 27, 2017, 01:22:57 pm »
Interesting:

It's a couple of weeks old, but I missed it. It the Sun wot could not be arsed to turn up.

https://www.indy100.com/article/sun-readers-vote-newspaper-election-conservative-ukip-labour-turnout-yougov-exit-poll-7789206

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4164 on: June 27, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »
Bloody young people and their baseball caps talking back to their elders.

Sophia Butt‏ @SophiaAB81

Hero of the Day goes to Elliot,absolutely nailed it! Victoria LIVE

Video

https://twitter.com/SophiaAB81/status/879653182359699456
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4165 on: June 27, 2017, 01:53:45 pm »
Hero of the Day goes to Elliot,absolutely nailed it! Victoria LIVE

You see 'Elliot' is one of those names like 'Corbyn' that gets increasingly used as a first name. The Americans have always been big on that but that lad sounded English to me which is interesting. Perhaps we are importing the American habit. Is it possible that little girls - or boys - will be called 'Abbott' in future?  Or 'Thornberry'? Thornberry's quite nice actually.

Shit, sorry, wrong thread. I thought it was the Labour party one.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4166 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:26 pm »
You see 'Elliot' is one of those names like 'Corbyn' that gets increasingly used as a first name. The Americans have always been big on that but that lad sounded English to me which is interesting. Perhaps we are importing the American habit. Is it possible that little girls - or boys - will be called 'Abbott' in future?  Or 'Thornberry'? Thornberry's quite nice actually.

;D
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4167 on: June 27, 2017, 02:00:09 pm »

938 Elliott, 926 Elliot, 33 Eliot, 17 Eliott, 3 Elliott-James

There were 51 named Abbas - maybe in honour of Diane.

16 Thorin (-berry)
13 Thor (-nberry)
8 Huckleberry ( definitely after Emily)

No Nugees.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4168 on: June 27, 2017, 02:00:58 pm »

16 Thorin (-berry)
13 Thor (-nberry)

No Nugees.

Tea spilt you bastard.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4169 on: June 27, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »
Sturgeon to 'reset' referendum timetable. Basically, they won't be having one any time soon.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #4170 on: June 27, 2017, 02:45:42 pm »
Sturgeon to 'reset' referendum timetable. Basically, they won't be having one any time soon.

Given that her dogmatism on the referendum cost her a large number of seats to the Tories and helped keep them in power, I would imagine so.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4171 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:10 pm »
Given that her dogmatism on the referendum cost her a large number of seats to the Tories and helped keep them in power, I would imagine so.

In hindsight she was probably better off waiting until after the election before requesting a independence referendum.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4172 on: June 27, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »
In hindsight she was probably better off waiting until after the election before requesting a independence referendum.

At the time she requested it, an election was not on the table and wasn't expected.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4173 on: June 27, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »
At the time she requested it, an election was not on the table and wasn't expected.

Ah yes, that is true, my mistake.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:00 pm »

It wasn't expected, but it was heavily speculated. Assume it probably factored into her strategic thinking for when to announce - in terms of trying to achieve most traction, which she definitely managed - but they decided it was ultimately worth the risk.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #4175 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »

16 Thorin (-berry)
13 Thor (-nberry)

No Nugees.

There are kids running around this area called Armani, Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, as well as Chardonnay. Capitalism gone mad. Elliot seems tame!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4176 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
There are kids running around this area called Armani, Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, as well as Chardonnay. Capitalism gone mad. Elliot seems tame!

19 Armanis. I don't have the Girls list open.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4177 on: June 27, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
Did anyone read the list, get to 'Steve' and laugh?

;D

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4178 on: June 27, 2017, 04:58:44 pm »
It wasn't expected, but it was heavily speculated. Assume it probably factored into her strategic thinking for when to announce - in terms of trying to achieve most traction, which she definitely managed - but they decided it was ultimately worth the risk.

It really was not expected back then - as I remember it the feeling was that if May was going to have an election it would have been after she was elected PM, and she had repeatedly ruled it out. I think that was the last thing the SNP wanted to happen after calling for the referendum.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4179 on: June 27, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »
Any chance of getting her and these fuckers out of power any time soon?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4180 on: June 27, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »
Any chance of getting her and these fuckers out of power any time soon?

Do we actually want that right now?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4181 on: June 27, 2017, 07:09:32 pm »
Isn't this DUP deal supposed to be only for two years or something?  That suggests it's either up for renegotiation, or the entire government self destructs right after Brexit.

The only realistic way to bring them down is five Tory by-elections.  That would wipe out whatever working majority the coalition has.  The odds of sufficient numbers of Tory MPs turning on the government is pretty low, although not non-existent.

I suppose it's possible that the DUP could ask Labour what it's worth to help bring down the Tories, but that would probably just be a tactic to force concessions from May.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4182 on: June 27, 2017, 08:28:54 pm »
My quote of the day.

Jon Snow 'I have no recollection' of chanting 'fuck the Tories' at Glastonbury

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:31:49 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4183 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:33 am »
Isn't this DUP deal supposed to be only for two years or something?  That suggests it's either up for renegotiation, or the entire government self destructs right after Brexit.

The only realistic way to bring them down is five Tory by-elections.  That would wipe out whatever working majority the coalition has.  The odds of sufficient numbers of Tory MPs turning on the government is pretty low, although not non-existent.

I suppose it's possible that the DUP could ask Labour what it's worth to help bring down the Tories, but that would probably just be a tactic to force concessions from May.
The deal is for 5 years, the additional investment is over 2 years. And no, the DUP would never contemplate any discussion with Corbyn
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4184 on: June 28, 2017, 09:57:32 am »
The deal is for 5 years, the additional investment is over 2 years. And no, the DUP would never contemplate any discussion with Corbyn

Well I said Labour, not Corbyn, but I take your point.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4185 on: June 29, 2017, 11:54:14 am »
1st test of the confidence-and-supply between the tories and DUP went through without issue with a 323 to 309 vote against amendments to the queens speech.

That £1 Billion has saved her for now. Be very interesting when voting on matters where the whip isn't enforced.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #4186 on: June 29, 2017, 12:10:59 pm »
Stella Creasy's amendment to the Queen's Speech has been accepted for a vote. It's a cross-party amendment to allow women from Northern Ireland to access the mainland NHS free of charge for abortions (they typically get charged £900 - £2000). Vote is at 5pm so worth poking your MP to ask them to support it. Three Tories have signed up to the amendment from the start, and others are also flagging their concerns with the government. Do doubt it'll pass, but the government may have to make concessions to keep their own backbenchers onboard with it. And that at least will be something if it's put forward a little later with eg a free vote.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4187 on: June 30, 2017, 07:53:27 am »
The election is over. The Queen's Speech has passed. I am sure that someone will start a new topic for this Parliamentary session.