Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100964 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #1240 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:57 pm »
Saw them the other day. They were great (all 8 of them). Wasn't very busy though. One of those great artists/bands that people don't go out to see; I suppose he's a bit of an acquired taste but makes some stunning music.

That's a shame to hear it wasn't very busy. Couldn't get to the Manchester gig but would have liked to have gone.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1241 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »
Getting into Ty Segull
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1242 on: December 21, 2017, 02:02:41 pm »
Getting into Ty Segull

The album or the artist? I suppose "which album?" would also be a valid question, given he's done two self-titled ones...

In any case, he's ace. I was a bit of a latecomer to his stuff, only got into him over the last couple of years I think, but I'm bloody glad I did. It's nice to hear someone who quite clearly just really fucking enjoys playing the guitar.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1243 on: December 21, 2017, 07:22:29 pm »
The album or the artist? I suppose "which album?" would also be a valid question, given he's done two self-titled ones...

In any case, he's ace. I was a bit of a latecomer to his stuff, only got into him over the last couple of years I think, but I'm bloody glad I did. It's nice to hear someone who quite clearly just really fucking enjoys playing the guitar.

Hi man - sorry for the throwaway line.

Listened to the latest album and been working backwards.

Suppose, I have always been put off by how much stuff he has.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: December 21, 2017, 08:03:36 pm »
Hi man - sorry for the throwaway line.

No apologies necessary mate, I was just intrigued is all  :)

I think the sheer volume of his stuff put me off at first too - his output is truly prodigious, at least in modern terms. That said, I don't think all of it's great - probably at least partially the result of releasing a couple of records a year (cheating a bit by including EPs and collaborative stuff, but still) - and he's done a lot of different stuff, but there's loads of enjoyable records in there. 

His latest is one of my favourites I think, it seems like a bit of a mix of styles he's explored previously, whereas most of his previous albums seemed to be a bit more genre-specific - the garage one, the glam one, the folky one, the hard rock one etc although you can always tell it's him. Quite interesting to watch his evolution, really. My ex lives over in SF and has been to a lot of his gigs and she reckons he's an outstanding live performer, though I've never had the pleasure but I plan on seeing him next time he's over here.

Speaking of SF garage rock bands with crazy outputs, I should really give Thee Oh Sees another try. I've had a couple for goes in the past but they just didn't grab me, although I think that might be quite a heretical statement round these here parts as I've seen a lot of RAWK love for them (which leads me to believe they must have something going on)...any pointers gratefully received.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1245 on: December 21, 2017, 08:13:30 pm »
No apologies necessary mate, I was just intrigued is all  :)

I think the sheer volume of his stuff put me off at first too - his output is truly prodigious, at least in modern terms. That said, I don't think all of it's great - probably at least partially the result of releasing a couple of records a year (cheating a bit by including EPs and collaborative stuff, but still) - and he's done a lot of different stuff, but there's loads of enjoyable records in there. 

His latest is one of my favourites I think, it seems like a bit of a mix of styles he's explored previously, whereas most of his previous albums seemed to be a bit more genre-specific - the garage one, the glam one, the folky one, the hard rock one etc although you can always tell it's him. Quite interesting to watch his evolution, really. My ex lives over in SF and has been to a lot of his gigs and she reckons he's an outstanding live performer, though I've never had the pleasure but I plan on seeing him next time he's over here.

Speaking of SF garage rock bands with crazy outputs, I should really give Thee Oh Sees another try. I've had a couple for goes in the past but they just didn't grab me, although I think that might be quite a heretical statement round these here parts as I've seen a lot of RAWK love for them (which leads me to believe they must have something going on)...any pointers gratefully received.

What is his folky / acoustic one?

New one is great.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: December 21, 2017, 09:11:41 pm »
What is his folky / acoustic one?

New one is great.

Sleeper. Another one of my favourites. Bit sort of psychedelic too, and he sounds particularly Bolan-y on a couple of tracks.

Think it was a response to his dad's death so not as much fun as a lot of his more throwaway stuff, but still cool in a different way.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1247 on: December 21, 2017, 09:34:01 pm »
Sleeper. Another one of my favourites. Bit sort of psychedelic too, and he sounds particularly Bolan-y on a couple of tracks.

Think it was a response to his dad's death so not as much fun as a lot of his more throwaway stuff, but still cool in a different way.

Oh cool - I was reading about that earlier and just listened (nice sound and very 60/70s feel).

I have a fairly obsessive nature with music but sometimes find modern artists like this almost daunting as so many releases.

Never seen him too but could get really into him and like his ideas.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: December 21, 2017, 10:10:07 pm »
Oh cool - I was reading about that earlier and just listened (nice sound and very 60/70s feel).

I have a fairly obsessive nature with music but sometimes find modern artists like this almost daunting as so many releases.

Never seen him too but could get really into him and like his ideas.

I know exactly what you mean! He's definitely worth spending a bit of time with I reckon, but there's a lot to wade through. Off the top of my head my favourites are probably Twins, Melted, Sleeper and the new one, though if you asked me tomorrow I might have a completely different set.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: December 22, 2017, 09:19:07 am »

I'll admit that I've never got into Ty Segall.

I got my mate one of his live albums as a birthday present once (grey/black cover?) and we couldn't decide which speed the record was supposed to be played at :lmao it sounded wrong to me at either. Chalking him down as one of those artists I just dislike even though I 'should' theoretically be into them.

Thee Oh Sees on the other hand, I get. Don't usually listen to much raucous music these days but can't resist blasting 'Plastic Plant' at full volume every few weeks. Proper face melter of the highest order.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: December 22, 2017, 11:05:30 am »
One of the best albums of the year as well. Really good.

I had a dream last night that I was on tour with them and watched from the side of the stage in Barcelona. Was gutted when I woke up.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1251 on: December 22, 2017, 12:06:21 pm »
I know exactly what you mean! He's definitely worth spending a bit of time with I reckon, but there's a lot to wade through. Off the top of my head my favourites are probably Twins, Melted, Sleeper and the new one, though if you asked me tomorrow I might have a completely different set.

Sleeper is lovely.

Had Manipulator on last night - lovely retro sound.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1252 on: December 22, 2017, 01:29:29 pm »
2007, not 2017, but I'm listening to Attack Decay Sustain Release by Simian Mobile Disco for the first time ever. Why didn't I do this before? It's mental!!  ::)  :wellin
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: December 22, 2017, 01:34:13 pm »
2007, not 2017

You've just inspired me to take a look through 2007's major releases.

A dark time it seems...some tragic records there.

Nu rave  ;D  mind you I rocked up to band practice last night in my hi vis cycling gear, a bright orange Kraftwerk T shirt and a red scarf so was honestly waiting for someone to ask if I was in the wrong practice space and that the Klaxons reunions was elsewhere...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:36:30 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1254 on: December 22, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »
You've just inspired me to take a look through 2007's major releases.

A dark time it seems...some tragic records there.

Nu rave  ;D  mind you I rocked up to band practice last night in my hi vis cycling gear, a bright orange Kraftwerk T shirt and a red scarf so was honestly waiting for someone to ask if I was in the wrong practice space and that the Klaxons reunions was elsewhere...

That's just a brilliant look!  ;D

I had a club night in 2007 and if I ever was cool, this was in the waning days of it. Me and my mate would DJ and it was eclectic as hell. We didn't tap in to too much of the goings on at the time, but reading some nostalgic articles today on nu-rave and bloghouse we did pick up on a couple.

We always played Chromeo and Hot Chip, maybe Digitalism, but Pop The Glock by Uffie was one of our definite secret weapons. No one seemed to have heard it. It killed. Or at least that's how I remember it.  ;D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: December 22, 2017, 01:59:27 pm »

I had a club night in 2007 and if I ever was cool,

If you had a club night you were definitely cool, don't doubt it!

I was probably in my 'only music made in the 60s is good' phase back then...it was good while it lasted...but I was wrong, so wrong. Great music is always happening, sometimes you just need to dig deeper...I should have done.

Think my album of 2007 was Lambchop's 'Ohio', I've got a picture a mate drew of my old band and each of us have a speech bubble with our favourite records of that year in...the singers was Bon Iver's first one so assuming the year was 2007.

So glad I got back into new music...

Setting my new stereo up this weekend...can't wait...lugging all the vinyl around the house is hard work though!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1256 on: December 22, 2017, 02:14:17 pm »
If you can remember 2007 you wern't there,man!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: December 23, 2017, 11:49:31 pm »
Here's a guide to Thee oh sees, face melters, psychedelic jams and whispered folk included.  ;D

Spoilered for size

Spoiler

[close]
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: December 24, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
I'll admit that I've never got into Ty Segall.

I got my mate one of his live albums as a birthday present once (grey/black cover?) and we couldn't decide which speed the record was supposed to be played at :lmao it sounded wrong to me at either. Chalking him down as one of those artists I just dislike even though I 'should' theoretically be into them.

Oddly enough, I have exactly the same thing but with Thee Oh Sees. although I wouldn't say I dislike them particulrly, more they've never really grabbed me in the way they seem to grab most people. I've never tried particularly hard with them though, just a couple of random Youtube sessions, which isn't really enough sometimes.

Here's a guide to Thee oh sees, face melters, psychedelic jams and whispered folk included.  ;D

Nice one mate, I'll have a look through that at some point. I'll say this for them, they've definitely got some great album covers.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1259 on: December 24, 2017, 12:56:29 pm »
I love end of year list when you miss things for whatever reason that may be.

Really getting into Ty Segall and love this Wand album too.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: December 24, 2017, 05:15:54 pm »
I love end of year list when you miss things for whatever reason that may be.

Absolutely. For some reason that Rhiannon Giddens album completely passed me by, but I saw it on some list or other and have been listening to it loads the past few days. It's really, really lovely.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #1261 on: December 24, 2017, 11:56:44 pm »
The best sound of the year goes to James Blake. 

James Blake 'Vincent'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR-STh8jECU
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: December 25, 2017, 12:49:03 am »
I love end of year list when you miss things for whatever reason that may be

Dandelion radio festive 50 is on right now. Highlight of the musical year for me.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: December 25, 2017, 10:56:23 pm »
Happy holidays to all you music fans! Yes, even the war on drugs fans!
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1264 on: December 29, 2017, 10:31:20 pm »
Got the latest Paul Weller album for Christmas, pretty decent. There’s a great song on there which is a collaboration with Boy George, ‘one tear.’
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1265 on: December 30, 2017, 10:12:17 am »
Happy holidays to all you music fans! Yes, even the war on drugs fans!

You, too, mate. Hope you're keeping well.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: December 30, 2017, 12:14:48 pm »
Got the latest Paul Weller album for Christmas, pretty decent. There’s a great song on there which is a collaboration with Boy George, ‘one tear.’

I like Weller. At least he keeps trying new things, even if everyone skits him as Dadrock. To be honest I haven't listened to his last few but feel like maybe I should.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1267 on: December 30, 2017, 10:36:10 pm »
I like Weller. At least he keeps trying new things, even if everyone skits him as Dadrock. To be honest I haven't listened to his last few but feel like maybe I should.
Agree mate, he’s always evolving. Keeps his finger on the pulse of the current music scene,always has, hence his dissolution of the jam.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1268 on: December 31, 2017, 02:15:04 pm »
Once again "..in Music" the best thread on RAWK , rest of the place is a mad house...here is the wisest and hippest people on RAWK.

So all the musical best in 2018 to all you head bangers ,Greasers, Punks, Teds ,Dancers....and most of all ...you Dad Rock Fans!!