Author Topic: Europa League Group Matches 17/18  (Read 23346 times)

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
Re: Europa League Group Matches 17/18
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2017, 03:09:05 pm »
Sporting Lisbon have to go to Astana....

6100KM travel, that's farther than New York  :)

Not to mention Astana is the 2nd coldest capital city in the world after Ulan Baator,,,-20 degrees in Feb.

That'd be fun for the Portuguese  ;)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2017, 05:44:18 pm »
Ostersunds weren't even formed as a club when Wenger became Arsenal manager.

True. Pleased for Östersund that they got a big club. They deserve it. For people who don't know about them, they had Athletic Bilbao, Hertha Berlin and Zorya in the group and were probably rated as the weakest side in the group. Before that they beat PAOK, Fola and Galatasaray to get to the group stages. So they have really performed despite having had a rather difficult journey. It's fascinating that they have an English manager, they play a possession based game, with a team built on a shoestring budget. Their budget is probably League 2 level. It would really, really surprise me if Graham Potter, their manager, didn't end up in the PL in the future.

Now let's hope they can get past Arsenal.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:05 am »
Sounds a bit silly I know, but the Europa League now feels to me like the purest European competition now, Champions league is so bogged down in seeding and country protection, I really do miss the days before oil clubs and football being ruined by money in general, bring back completely open draws.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #443 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:34 am »
Sounds a bit silly I know, but the Europa League now feels to me like the purest European competition now, Champions league is so bogged down in seeding and country protection, I really do miss the days before oil clubs and football being ruined by money in general, bring back completely open draws.

They have country protection in the Europa too, they also have seeds...

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #444 on: December 12, 2017, 12:37:02 pm »
So what happens if Leipzig and Salzburg eventually get drawn against each other?

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: December 12, 2017, 12:43:57 pm »
So what happens if Leipzig and Salzburg eventually get drawn against each other?
Pretty much the same as if Chelsea are drawn against Vitesse I'd imagine.

They have country protection in the Europa too, they also have seeds...
Yes I know they do, but the Champions League just feels like a never ending festival of advertisements now, where football is secondary, Europa League is a bit more low key.