Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 870592 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #5880 on: August 7, 2017, 11:15:06 am »
Interesting article that should cause some pondering as to another possible consequence of Brexit...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37512419

Given the dearth of understanding of IT and Data Protection amongst the majority of our MP's, it's the sort of thing that could very likely be overlooked or dismissed as of little consequence, but it is quite important if you want to have at least some semblence of security and protection of data about yourself from being accessed by third parties without your knowledge.

At the moment, there are some pretty good rules about exporting such personal information out of the EU, but all that could change for us here post-Brexit in the UK, as I expect US Medical Health Insurance companies and their lobbyists amongst our Political elites are well aware....unfettered access to all our NHS records for example could likely fetch a tidy sum for someone.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5881 on: August 7, 2017, 11:34:04 am »
You make a good point, gulley, we've been doing some work for these regulations coming in at work and from a consumer point of view they are excellent as you can request all data a company holds on you and what it is used for.

Further reading for anyone who's interested: http://www.eugdpr.org/

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #5882 on: August 7, 2017, 11:47:05 am »

It's actually all quite worrying, this sleepwalk into a free for all bedlam.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #5883 on: August 7, 2017, 11:48:44 am »
Maybe not a sleepwalk, given that the Tories driving this.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5884 on: August 7, 2017, 11:55:57 am »
Maybe not a sleepwalk, given that the Tories driving this.

Not forgetting the rubber stamping by Labour  ;)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5885 on: August 7, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »

There's an article in the guardian today from a guest writer; Corbyn supporter who was remain but using the Owen Jones bollocks of democracy + corbyn supports it = 'it might ruin everything but Corbyn says it'll be fine and we can just blame the tories anyway' is quite possibly the most worrying thing of all, I keep coming across people who hold this view. It's driving me mad.

I couldn't give a shiny shite if fighting and stopping brexit meant the tories didn't disappear up their own arses, it doesn't matter if it's them or another party, there will always be a party to represent the right, it's more important we still have a country.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5886 on: August 7, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »
There's an article in the guardian today from a guest writer; Corbyn supporter who was remain but using the Owen Jones bollocks of democracy + corbyn supports it = 'it might ruin everything but Corbyn says it'll be fine and we can just blame the tories anyway' is quite possibly the most worrying thing of all, I keep coming across people who hold this view. It's driving me mad.
its more the people who have all this hope invested in a leadership who's entire careers scream mediocrity yet they will fix all the problems which terrifies me

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5887 on: August 7, 2017, 12:45:53 pm »
its more the people who have all this hope invested in a leadership who's entire careers scream mediocrity yet they will fix all the problems which terrifies me
To be fair, this has all been worked out and discussed in theory in the back room of pubs for over 40 yrs. nows the time to put those plans into action.
Yes, I agree , it's terrifying.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Conocinico

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cameras in your food, dude.
« Reply #5888 on: August 8, 2017, 12:49:23 am »
I'm constantly hearing about all the positives of the EU. Protecting workers rights, free trade, environmental and food standards, the impossibility of war in Europe, I'm sure there's at least a million more other benefits. But don't we as a nation want these things anyway? What the fuck do we need the EU for then? Unless we don't trust ourselves. If not, that's the real fight.
This sentence is not provable

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5889 on: August 8, 2017, 01:19:55 am »
I'm constantly hearing about all the positives of the EU. Protecting workers rights, free trade, environmental and food standards, the impossibility of war in Europe, I'm sure there's at least a million more other benefits. But don't we as a nation want these things anyway? What the fuck do we need the EU for then? Unless we don't trust ourselves. If not, that's the real fight.
Thats a very good question and something leave voters will learn the answer too the hard way.
All the higher standards you mention cost money, if there was no EU and our country implemented all these high standards then the cost to produce goods in this country would rise dramatically, we would find it impossible to compete with countrys who have very low standards. this is what people mean when they say we compete on a level playing feild as members of the EU. all EU countrys are focred to have higher standards, nobody can undercut each other for this reason.
The EU have safe guards to protect EU workers from being undercut by cheap labour from outside the EU. tariffs and penalty's.
We will now leave the EU and we will be forced to compete with countrys who have lower standards and working condition's than ourselves. they will produce goods far cheaper than we can. how will we compete?
Wage cuts. jobs lost as we will have to become even more efficient. etc etc
We said this before the referendum, it was ignored as project fear.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2017, 01:25:11 am by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Conocinico

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cameras in your food, dude.
« Reply #5890 on: August 8, 2017, 01:26:20 am »
Thats a very good question and something leave voters will learn the answer too the hard way.
All the higher standards you mention cost money, if there was no EU and our country implemented all these high standards then the cost to produce goods in this country would rise dramatically, we would find it impossible to compete with countrys who have very low standards. this is what people mean when they say we compete on a level playing feild as members of the EU. all EU countrys are focred to have higher standards, nobody can undercut each other for this reason.
The EU have safe guards to protect EU workers from being undercut by cheap labour from outside the EU. tariffs and penalty's.
We will now leave the EU and we will be forced to compete with countrys who have lower standards and working condition's than ourselves. they will produce goods far cheaper than we can. how will we compete?
Wage cuts. jobs lost as we will have to become even more efficient. etc etc
We said this before the referendum, it was ignored as project fear.

No, I don't get that mate. Economics isn't my strong point.
This sentence is not provable

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5891 on: August 8, 2017, 01:45:05 am »
No, I don't get that mate. Economics isn't my strong point.
Am sure there are millions of other people who wouldn't understand as well. which is why we should never have had a referendum on such an important issue in the first place.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5892 on: August 8, 2017, 08:00:58 am »

The EU is a safeguard, governments come and go and often have dramatically different ideologies - the EU is a baseline for certain aspects of our society, it keeps us close and co-operating which considering our shared histories can only be a positive.

This is aimed at young people, so don't think I'm being a twat by linking to it, but I've actually done them myself and found them interesting: http://europa.eu/teachers-corner/quiz/how-does-eu-work

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5893 on: August 8, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
I think of all the overblown fears of leaving the EU the whole war and conflict one is without the most crazy one. We are not turning to conflict with Europe if we leave the EU.

Also is free trade a good thing?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5894 on: August 8, 2017, 10:11:23 am »
I think of all the overblown fears of leaving the EU the whole war and conflict one is without the most crazy one. We are not turning to conflict with Europe if we leave the EU.

Yes, undoubtedly.  It brings problems and needs to be monitored and regulations to govern it (which is what the EU provided), but overwhelmingly yes.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5895 on: August 8, 2017, 10:53:22 am »

I could make an argument that free trade has been to the detriment of the environment, especially in some countries..

But there are also positives.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5896 on: August 8, 2017, 10:54:34 am »
It's more about strength in numbers, lobbying will be much easier out of the EU and the MPs will listen to it. It's a harder to push an agenda when you have to get other countries to agree with it. You end up with legislature that limits as many negative externalities as possible. Apart from the financial sector, regulating that is a minefield.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5897 on: August 8, 2017, 11:01:21 am »

I don't think we should ever be complacent over it, close co-operation has served us well.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5898 on: August 8, 2017, 11:12:10 am »
I don't think we should ever be complacent over it, close co-operation has served us well.

I agree, especially with the bolded part.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5899 on: August 8, 2017, 11:22:53 am »

I don't think people are suggesting that the UK will end up going to war with the EU or EU countries because of Brexit, just that if the EU project was to fall apart wars would be more likely to happen and Brexit could be the trigger for that.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5900 on: August 8, 2017, 11:36:17 am »
So on the news last night they were talking about the Brexit divorce bill being in the region of Ł36bn and they had some Tory MP saying we shouldn't be paying anything and (this was the bit that got me) all the people who voted leave wouldn't expect to pay anything either......now would that be because it wasn't mentioned during the campaigning, and if it was mentioned it wasn't front and centre

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5901 on: August 8, 2017, 11:57:17 am »

Honestly,I find it hard to understand why the British worker would even ask the question.
Do you think the British worker should accept lower wages and work standards to help them become more competitive against country's who pay their workers buttons.
Corbyn talks about protecting the min wage and workers rights, while that's a good thing he's missing the point, he cant protect the British workers job if they cant compete in the big wide world without protection. he cant stop companys who are now paying a decent wage from forcing wage cuts etc in the hope of keeping their company viable.
Am retired now, none of this will harm me, I just find it hard to believe people cant see what's coming.
The Torys won't have to pass laws to force massive change on the British worker, the British worker will accept this change voluntary to keep their jobs.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #5902 on: August 8, 2017, 12:00:37 pm »
Honestly,I find it hard to understand why the British worker would even ask the question.
Do you think the British worker should accept lower wages and work standards to help them become more competitive against country's who pay their workers buttons.
Corbyn talks about protecting the min wage and workers rights, while that's a good thing he's missing the point, he cant protect the British workers job if they cant compete in the big wide world without protection. he cant stop companys who are now paying a decent wage from forcing wage cuts etc in the hope of keeping their company viable.
Am retired now, none of this will harm me, I just find it hard to believe people cant see what's coming.
The Torys won't have to pass laws to force massive change on the British worker, the British worker will accept this change voluntary to keep their jobs.

Good post and also we cant stop companies just upping sticks and moving to Ireland or mainland Europe.

Just to add we may leave the EU but we are all still in Nato so we will still be working with Europe on defence etc.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2017, 12:03:10 pm by Mutton Geoff »
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5903 on: August 8, 2017, 01:05:37 pm »

I don't think people are suggesting that the UK will end up going to war with the EU or EU countries because of Brexit, just that if the EU project was to fall apart wars would be more likely to happen and Brexit could be the trigger for that.

We have systems in place to prevent such a thing including NATO and the UN. The breakup of the EU would cause issues but I would argue against it being the main provider for co-operation.

Anyway, its not the system but the people in charge that could cause such issues and taht would be the case in or out the EU and certainly the EU countries on their side have flirted closer to people willing to disturb the assumed natural order than us.

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5904 on: August 8, 2017, 06:40:16 pm »
We have systems in place to prevent such a thing including NATO and the UN. The breakup of the EU would cause issues but I would argue against it being the main provider for co-operation.

Yes we have systems in place, and the main one is called EU. NATO is a military alliance and I would never want to solely trust the military to sort out things and the UN is nowhere near as strong and influential as it should be and often appears helpless or just able to offer humanitarian aid once the worst has happened (see Syria and other conflicts/wars).

The time after WWII has been the longest ever with peace and stability in Europe, for hundreds of years it basically had been one war after another somewhere on the continent. If you can't see the huge part that the European Union plays in this, with its varying aspects of a shared economy on the one hand and the exchange of students, scientists, workers, artists etc. etc. on the other, well... Sure all these things are possible outside of a body such as the EU, but things get way easier when countries work on shared standards and principles. Everything is much more woven into everyone's everyday life and so the desire to start a military conflict with your neighbours drops considerably. That's one of the main ideas behind it and I admit I have a hard time understanding why this is considered a bad thing by some (i.e. it is so terrible that the UK is better off outside of it).

I for one would not have the slightest problem with a United States of Europe, on the contrary I would embrace it and hope it will happen one day (though probably not in my lifetime). And I cannot understand why parts of the British public get near hysterical about this prospect when, gasp, they live in a UNITED Kingdom??!!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5905 on: August 8, 2017, 06:47:59 pm »
Really sad to see the number of people that voted to leave that would throw their own country, their own families and everyone else under a bus :(

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5906 on: August 8, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »
Really sad to see the number of people that voted to leave that would throw their own country, their own families and everyone else under a bus :(

But not entirely surprised?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5907 on: August 8, 2017, 08:12:31 pm »

But probably many would not see it that way, don't you think? Many are just clueless - some more, some less so - and maybe some are naive to the nth degree (not that that is an excuse as it is possible to educate yourself and not just swallow any absurd claim and flat out lie that comes your way).

However, when even on here by some the EU is not seen as the "main provider of co-operation" then, no offence, but frankly that shows that people have no clue as to what the EU means and which trivial aspects of our every frickin daily life are relying on and are influenced by that community. The more I have heard from people in Britain and read over the past few months the more I think many of the UK voters do not have the slightest idea what leaving the EU entails. They might have voted leave for immigration issues or whatever else, but what possibly crashing out of every EU treaty and contract actually means and what kind of work that involves pre and post that deadline is mostly beyond their comprehension. I try not to think of others as uneducated or stupid - in a general sense and not related to posters on here - but sometimes they make it real hard.   :(

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5908 on: August 8, 2017, 09:22:34 pm »
The UK opted out of many of the big European projects, and as a result people here do not have the same every-day experiences the continental Europeans have. No Euro, no Schengen. Still pay in good old British pound, still need to watch the exchange rates, always need a passport to leave the country. Paired with that the island location - no trains to reach bordering countries, no cars with other number plates, again, no foreign Euro coins to turn up in your change. The regulations, contracts, agreements happen far away from home and are not experienced directly and only reported in the media as 'the faceless bureaucrats in Brussels rule us'. Europe for most in the UK, is still something external, a holiday destination, not something to be part of.

There are other, underlying issues...a different understanding of democracy, the aspiration to be 'elite'....I don't think I could discuss this on here without causing a massive uproar, so lets just leave it at the bit above, which I think is a main reason of 'disengagement' with the EU.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5909 on: August 8, 2017, 10:28:16 pm »
The UK opted out of many of the big European projects, and as a result people here do not have the same every-day experiences the continental Europeans have... Europe for most in the UK, is still something external, a holiday destination, not something to be part of.

Well said and much better than I could have expressed it, and I would co-sign all your points. Sometimes it's all the small things that contribute to the relations between countries and people in the long term, seemingly unimportant stuff like having other cars around, from French to Dutch to Polish, you see all sorts of cars with the blue flag and yellow stars on a daily basis in my city and it feels like family. Mind, I'm always happy to see UK licence plates, but it's now always accompanied by thoughts like 'wonder if this person is feeling happy or unhappy here or plans on staying here or what will Brexit mean for them'.

But even with having opted out of various EU projects and being emotionally more detached, the fact remains that the UK has to disentangle itself from decades of having been woven into the EU fabric and I don't think many people realise what that means (I am not claiming I do). It's just allround sad... I was really angry at various points over the past twelve months, but during my recent visit to Liverpool I mainly felt depressed thinking about what UK-EU relations might look like in a few years from now and .... it felt so unreal somehow. We really don't want to lose you.  :'(

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5910 on: August 9, 2017, 09:23:27 am »
Good thread:

@jonnymorris1973

Thing I don't understand about Brexit. Govt says we're leaving the EU, single market, free movement area etc in April 2019. 20 months away.

But if that's happening, why isn't Dover a big building site? We will need to massively increase customs capacity to check stuff in & out.

We will (at least) need to have increased border checks in Northern Ireland. So why aren't the government buying up sites along the border?

We will need new agencies *up and running* on April 1 2019 for air safety, maritime safety, chemicals, medicines, disease prevention etc.

So where are the buildings being built, bought or leased for these new agencies? Where are the job advertisements for these new agencies?

And so on. All the stuff that should be happening if we're leaving the EU in 2019 isn't actually happening. There are two possible reasons.

1) Our government is incompetent or 2) They don't expect us to leave the EU in 2019 cos they hope an excuse to delay/cancel will turn up.

The mystery is why all the 'Brexiteers' aren't kicking up a fuss about this. Surely they should be asking why this stuff isn't happening?

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/894842103158714368

The rational option would of course be no. 2 - the government will avoid catastrophe by going for a long transitional period similar to the status quo. But these days, and given the idiots involved, no. 1 seems like the simplest and most likely explanation.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5911 on: August 9, 2017, 09:42:18 am »
They will push for a transitional deal. Personally i hope the EU rejects that request.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5913 on: August 9, 2017, 12:07:17 pm »
Brexit Is A Catastrophe, Says David Davis' Ex-Chief Of Staff James Chapman

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/brexit-is-a-catastrophe-says-david-davis-ex-chief-of-staff-james-chapman/ar-AApJPUs?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp
Labour should not ignore the old saying necessity is the mother of invention. there are millions of people sick at the way both partys are only talking to leave voters and the gullible.
If both partys continue talking s... then something will happen over the next 18 months.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5914 on: August 10, 2017, 09:25:27 am »

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #5915 on: August 10, 2017, 10:27:22 pm »
The UK opted out of many of the big European projects, and as a result people here do not have the same every-day experiences the continental Europeans have. No Euro, no Schengen. Still pay in good old British pound, still need to watch the exchange rates, always need a passport to leave the country. Paired with that the island location - no trains to reach bordering countries, no cars with other number plates, again, no foreign Euro coins to turn up in your change. The regulations, contracts, agreements happen far away from home and are not experienced directly and only reported in the media as 'the faceless bureaucrats in Brussels rule us'. Europe for most in the UK, is still something external, a holiday destination, not something to be part of.

There are other, underlying issues...a different understanding of democracy, the aspiration to be 'elite'....I don't think I could discuss this on here without causing a massive uproar, so lets just leave it at the bit above, which I think is a main reason of 'disengagement' with the EU.

Yes little englanders with little englander attitudes voted for brexit no real surprise is it - most haven't even heard of foreign places where those things happen everyday, N Ireland for example. Most of them thought the EU was like the USA Senate for crying out loud plus it wasn't only the media that reported  'the faceless bureaucrats in Brussels rule us' the politicians ran that line for decades if anything was an annoyance to sell to the public.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5916 on: August 11, 2017, 07:35:27 am »
Brexit bill will remove right to sue government

Britons will lose their right to sue the government for breaking the law under Brexit plans that could allow ministers to escape censure over air pollution.

Legislation to ban individuals and companies from bringing compensation claims against Whitehall after Brexit is being drawn up, The Times has learnt.

Swathes of the law covering areas such as the environment, workers’ rights and business regulation will no longer be subject to financial redress through the courts. Since a European Court ruling in 1991, citizens have been able to sue member states for damage

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-bill-will-remove-right-to-sue-government-750dhfjj3
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5918 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »
Interesting survey this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-29-remain-voters-accept-deport-eu-citizens-must-leave-study-lse-oxford-a7889241.html%3famp
It is interesting as it shows people voted leave and stay for many different reasons.
Some remain voters would like control of FOM but they put the economy first.
Some leave voters aren't bothered about control of FOM but they put sovereignty above any thing else. or maybe money to the NHS. etc etc.
All of this was soon forgotten when May told the Country. everyone who voted leave voted to leave the SM and get control of FOM.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:11:35 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5919 on: August 11, 2017, 11:45:30 pm »
Interesting survey this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-29-remain-voters-accept-deport-eu-citizens-must-leave-study-lse-oxford-a7889241.html%3famp

I'm interested to see why Remainers favour hard Brexit to soft. I expected a belief in the economic downsides of hard Brexit to draw them to soft Brexit, despite its own flaws.

On a different note, a lack of public appetite for soft Brexit adds to Labour's Brexit headache. I don't believe all those who currently buy into Labour's line of respecting the referendum will continue to do so if it means hard Brexit. I think there's a signifcant amount of expectation among those people that Labour will eventually push for soft Brexit, but it's hard not to see the Labour leadership using survey results such as this to back up their own claim that leaving the EU means we must leave the Single Market, even more so when you remember the whip for Labour MPs to abstain on Chuka Umunna's pro-SM amendment to the Queen's Speech.