Author Topic: Errors in Met's VIP paedophile probe Operation Midland  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Errors in Met's VIP paedophile probe Operation Midland
« on: November 8, 2016, 10:45:37 pm »
No great surprise. There was far too much reliance on one witness 'Nick' who was clearly not reliable and who was being manipulated and coached by the now defunct Exaro News.There's also an object lesson in treating lurid stories about people we dislike with the same caution and skepticism as we would if they were about people we identify with.

Harvey Proctor is not my cup of tea but you just had to listen to him reading out the accusations made against him to realise they were simply not credible. His statement is here:

https://theneedleblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/full-statement-of-harvey-proctor/

Errors in Met's VIP paedophile probe Operation Midland

Numerous errors were made in Scotland Yard's investigation into paedophile allegations against VIPs, an independent review has found.

The decision to abandon Operation Midland should have been taken "much earlier", Sir Richard Henriques said.

Five officers have been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) following the review.

The Met Police commissioner accepted "accountability for these failures" and apologised to those involved.

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said: "It is a matter of professional and personal dismay that the suspects in the investigation were pursued for so long when it could have been concluded much earlier."

He apologised to former head of the Army Lord Bramall, ex-MP Harvey Proctor and the widow of former Home Secretary Lord Brittan "for the intrusion into their homes and the impact of Operation Midland on their lives" after all three men were accused but subsequently cleared.

'Irreversible' damage

Operation Midland was launched after claims that boys had been sexually abused by a group of powerful men from politics, the military and law enforcement agencies at locations across southern England and in London in the 1970s and 1980s.

It cost £2.5m, but closed in March without a single arrest or charge.

Sir Richard, a retired High Court judge, examined eight investigations in total, also including Operation Yewtree - into sexual abuse allegations against Jimmy Savile and others - and Operation Vincente - into a separate allegation that Lord Brittan raped a 19-year-old woman.

Lord Brittan died in January 2015 without being told that the case against him had been dropped.
Image copyright PA
Image caption Lord Bramall was never arrested and has always denied the allegations

Mr Proctor, who was cleared of being part of an alleged Westminster paedophile ring, said in a letter to Sir Bernard that he accepted the commissioner's apology "without prejudice."

"But as I am sure you will be aware, the detrimental impact of Operation Midland on my family, friends and myself, has been irreversible," he went on.

Mr Proctor said his respect for the police remained "undiminished", but added: "I hope this travesty will never occur again."

The review found 43 failings in Operation Midland, including believing the complainant, a man known as "Nick", for too long; one officer announcing that Nick's claims were "credible and true"; and applying for search warrants with flawed information.

The Met have confirmed that Nick is now being investigated for allegedly attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Sir Richard said: "The principal cause of the many failures in this investigation was poor judgement and a failure to accurately evaluate known facts and to react to them.

"A major contributing factor was the culture that 'victims' must be believed."

In all, Sir Richard made 25 recommendations, including:

Those who make complaints should be referred to as "complainants" and not as "victims" throughout the investigative and judicial process

The instruction to officers to "believe a 'victim's' account" should cease

Investigators should be informed that false complaints are made from time to time and should not be regarded as a remote possibility

A suspect should have the right to anonymity prior to arrest

Work should be done to improve the police relationship with those accused, given the "crushing effect" of a prolonged investigation on them and their families

Analysis by Angus Crawford, BBC News correspondent

Poor judgement. Those are the two words that ring out from this particular inquiry into the conduct of Operation Midland.

There were 43 separate failings, an extraordinary number, and as a result five officers are being referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

But it appears of the 43, four were absolutely fatal.

First of all, officers believed that one of the complainants was credible for far too long. Secondly, in December 2014, only a month after Midland had been launched, officers described his accusations as "credible and true".

The third error has gone slightly under the radar, but according to Sir Richard, the Met obtained search warrants for properties using flawed and incomplete evidence, which means they misled a judge. As he puts it, "the gravity" of that "cannot be overstated".

And finally, the review concluded that the entire investigation should have been closed down much earlier.

Sir Richard said the decision by those in charge of Operation Midland to search several premises, risking the names of the householders being made public, was a "grave error of judgement".

Instead, the investigation could have been carried out speedily and without those named learning of it.

There was also an "unjustifiable imbalance", he said, between the scrutiny of complainants and suspects.

Lord Bramall and Mr Proctor were accused of the gravest of crimes and then left in a state of limbo while Nick was contacted on a regular basis and given "chapter and verse" on the progress of the investigation, he added.

'Best of intentions'

Peter Saunders, founder of the National Association for People Abused in Childhood, said: "It's not a good day. But what I hope and I pray is that people who have been affected by these crimes - young people, children and the adults that they become - if they are able to report these crimes, still do so.

"Don't be put off by the hype around this particular failed operation."

A spokeswoman for London Mayor Sadiq Khan said it was "clear that a series of extremely serious errors were made by the Met".

She added: "The mayor will now be seeking full assurances from the Met commissioner on the consistency of the quality of the force's investigations into sexual offences and guarantees that the failings of past investigations will not be repeated."

Deputy chairwoman of the IPCC Rachel Cerfontyne said the five officers referred to the watchdog ranged in rank from sergeant to deputy assistant commissioner, and a decision about whether to conduct a formal investigation into them would be taken in due course.

One of those referred, deputy assistant commissioner Steve Rodhouse, said he did not believe that he or any other officer within Operation Midland had committed any misconduct.

"While it is right that lessons should be learned from Operation Midland I want to emphasise that my colleagues and I investigated the allegations made with the best of intentions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37912886
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Errors in Met's VIP paedophile probe Operation Midland
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2016, 11:10:25 pm »
Lesson to all on RAWK - never, ever trust anyone called Nick.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2016, 11:20:31 pm »
I've been tampered with.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2016, 11:34:23 pm »
:D

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2016, 11:56:22 pm »
Lesson to all on RAWK - never, ever trust anyone called Nick.
Unlucky there mate .  :(

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2016, 09:52:44 pm »
Great bit of media management from the Met to release this apology when they did, if only they were so skilled at everything they do.

These are probably the worst sort of accusations you can make against someone, and while accusations obviously have to be investigated, the way this was handled was nothing short of disgraceful.

I recall the thread on here about 'Operation Midland' being very popular with some of our more credulous and politically excitable posters.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2016, 10:47:13 pm »
These rumours have been circulated for decades. There was definitely truth  concerning Cyril Smith, Harvey Proctor was an easy target for because he had a conviction for gross indecency (for sex with, at the time, an under age male) but there was an edge of almost a Salem witch trial about some of these allegations.

All agencies should be sympathetic towards those who complain about any form of abuse but those complaints should be vigourously investigated to determine the truth or otherwise of the allegtion. All alleged abusers should also have their rights respected and publicity shouldn't be directly linked towards the relative fame of the alleged offender.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 3, 2018, 03:07:23 pm »
Update -  ‘Nick’ charged with prverting the course of justice:

Westminster 'paedophile ring' accuser charged

19 minutes ago

A man who alleged there was a paedophile ring at the heart of Westminster has been charged with perverting the course of justice.

The man, known as Nick, whose real name is being withheld for legal reasons, is also accused of fraud.

Nick's claims sparked an 18-month Scotland Yard inquiry into allegations public figures sexually assaulted children and three boys were murdered.

The inquiry was dropped and Northumbria Police was asked to investigate Nick.
Nick had claimed he was systematically abused and tortured by senior politicians and members of the armed forces during the 1970s and 1980s.

Those he accused included former Conservative politicians Lord Brittan and Harvey Proctor, and Field Marshal Lord Bramall.

Full story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44700764
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2018, 10:13:44 am »

"A major contributing factor was the culture that 'victims' must be believed."

In all, Sir Richard made 25 recommendations, including:

Those who make complaints should be referred to as "complainants" and not as "victims" throughout the investigative and judicial process

The instruction to officers to "believe a 'victim's' account" should cease

Investigators should be informed that false complaints are made from time to time and should not be regarded as a remote possibility

A suspect should have the right to anonymity prior to arrest

Work should be done to improve the police relationship with those accused, given the "crushing effect" of a prolonged investigation on them and their families

The legacy of Alison Saunders, where the presumption of innocence is an inconvenience to be removed.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2018, 10:15:57 am by Trim0582 »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2018, 10:25:39 am »
There is a big story in there some where just need the right witness's.

One of the whips even said they helped to cover stories like if an MP got into trouble with little boys.

More than likely never come to light now in in fact less chance who would come forward now even if their story is totally true.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2018, 10:36:19 am »

In other words, “It must be true because I want it to be true. I reluctantly admit that the sole witness was lying, but this doesn’t mean that the paedophile ring didn’t exist. It did exist. All that’s needed to prove it existed is a better witness. Start again.”
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2018, 10:44:12 am »
One of the whips even said they helped to cover stories like if an MP got into trouble with little boys.

I remember that interview, it was form the 90s, I posted it recently in another thread but having listened again, I am not sure it was an admission, I think he was saying they "would" do that if the situation arose, not that it had arisen. Still dreadful and beyond the decency for sure, but I think I was incorrect previously.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12 on: July 6, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »
I remember that interview, it was form the 90s, I posted it recently in another thread but having listened again, I am not sure it was an admission, I think he was saying they "would" do that if the situation arose, not that it had arisen. Still dreadful and beyond the decency for sure, but I think I was incorrect previously.

Cyril Smith was partially covered up and that probably allowed the conspiracy fantasists to run full speed ahead.

The problem with all these lurid conspiracies- satanic abuse, for example - is that it's a salacious overdose for the moral majority and the fantasy brigade.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2018, 10:42:49 pm »

I wonder if you'd be of the same opinion if someone lied about you being a nonce.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 6, 2018, 11:04:23 pm »

More than likely never come to light now in in fact less chance who would come forward now even if their story is totally true.

No mate - this story was a complete fabrication. It had legs because people wanted to believe it. Exaro behaved despicably by encouraging ‘Nick’. 

Find the video of Harvey Proctor reading out the accusations and it’s clearly a fantasy. Can’t stand the man’s politics but if we claim to give a shit about justice then it has to apply to people we don’t like as much as to people we care for.

Anyone wanting to hold on to this because they are Tories, in spite of there being no evidence that it happened and clear evidence that the only witness lied can’t complain when people choose to believe Liverpool fans caused Hillsborough because ‘we know what scousers are like and there must be something there...’ 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)