Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people  (Read 106165 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
« Reply #480 on: March 24, 2014, 05:23:11 pm »
RIP.

Does anyone find it a weird they are giving out the news now, before identifying the debris? Or maybe that's what they will explain in tomorrow's press conference.

They are notifying the families on the basis of a more detailed analysis of the satellite data, not the possible wreckage. The satellite track places the plane over water with no landing sites once fuel has been exhausted.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: March 24, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »
Detailed explanation here:

How British satellite company Inmarsat tracked down MH370

The British company that provided vital information on MH370’s whereabouts explains its calculations

By Sophie Curtis

3:16PM GMT 24 Mar 2014

The Malaysian government has concluded that, based on satellite data analysis from British company Inmarsat, Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 ended in the Indian Ocean, and no one on board survived.

In a press statement this afternoon, Prime Minister Najib Razak said that, using a type of analysis "never before used in an investigation of this sort", Inmarsat engineers have been able to establish that the plane's last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.

"This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean."

Inmarsat’s role in the search for Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 began immediately after the aircraft disappeared. Although the main aircraft communications addressing and reporting system (which would usually transmit the plane's position) was switched off, one of Inmarsat’s satellites continued to pick up a series of automated hourly 'pings' from a terminal on the plane, which would normally be used to synchronise timing information.

By analysing these pings, Inmarsat was able to establish that MH370 continued to fly for at least five hours after the aircraft left Malaysian airspace, and that it had flown along one of two 'corridors' – one arcing north and the other south.

"We looked at the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency, due to the movement of a satellite in its orbit. What that then gave us was a predicted path for the northerly route and a predicted path the southerly route," explained Chris McLaughlin, senior vice president of external affairs at Inmarsat.

This information was relayed to Malaysian officials by 12 March, but Malaysia's government did not publicly acknowledge it until 15 March, according to the Wall Street Journal. Malaysia began to redirect the search effort that day, to focus on the areas the information described. However, some officials involved with the probe warned that the lost days and wasted resources could impede the investigation.

Meanwhile, Inmarsat's engineers carried out further analysis of the pings and came up with a much more detailed Doppler effect model for the northern and southern paths. By comparing these models with the trajectory of other aircraft on similar routes, they were able to establish an "extraordinary matching" between Inmarsat's predicted path to the south and the readings from other planes on that route.

"By yesterday they were able to definitively say that the plane had undoubtedly taken the southern route," said McLaughlin.

These pings from the satellite – along with assumptions about the plane’s speed – helped Australia and the US National Transportation Safety Board to narrow down the search area to just 3 per cent of the southern corridor on 18 March.

"We worked out where the last ping was, and we knew that the plane must have run out of fuel before the next automated ping, but we didn't know what speed the aircraft was flying at – we assumed about 450 knots," said McLaughlin. "We can’t know when the fuel actually ran out, we can’t know whether the plane plunged or glided, and we can’t know whether the plane at the end of the time in the air was flying more slowly because it was on fumes."

Inmarsat passed the relevant analysis to the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) yesterday. The cause of the crash remains a mystery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10719304/How-British-satellite-company-Inmarsat-tracked-down-MH370.html

And a map of the search area from the Mirror:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: March 24, 2014, 05:34:30 pm »
I'm confrontational because sadly the internet is full of shit and we prefer to keep it to a minimum on here. I have deleted a load of posts in this thread which you can't see because they veered off into fantasy land.

When you post that 'its doubtful they ever 'lost' the plane' it reads like conspiracy bollocks and I responded accordingly. I am not a mind reader and if that wasn't your intention you should possibly read what you've written in future before posting.

As for having been in the 'general vicinity' of the Indian Ocean I'm not sure that makes you an expert and it certainly doesn't give you the justification to dish out insults to the moderation team.

Wind your neck in.

READ the posts BEFORE you reply, that's all I'll say. I've made NO reference to conspiracy theories whatsoever - in these situations OF COURSE not all the information is released to the public, why would it be? There is a very good reason why the search focus shifted to the south Indian Ocean a week or so ago - probably because thats where the plane crashed and the data the relevant people had was telling them so. Are you telling me that's a conspiracy theory?

I've never said I was an expert - and in fact I was merely echoing what has been said in the media and been stated by basically every official talking about this issue - it's a very very very large area to search.

And PLEASE don't make your attack on me my attack on your moderation team - I've seen you go off like this a few times over the years, I can recall at least a few times before you were a mod.

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: March 24, 2014, 05:44:34 pm »
READ the posts BEFORE you reply, that's all I'll say. I've made NO reference to conspiracy theories whatsoever - in these situations OF COURSE not all the information is released to the public, why would it be? There is a very good reason why the search focus shifted to the south Indian Ocean a week or so ago - probably because thats where the plane crashed and the data the relevant people had was telling them so. Are you telling me that's a conspiracy theory?

I've never said I was an expert - and in fact I was merely echoing what has been said in the media and been stated by basically every official talking about this issue - it's a very very very large area to search.

And PLEASE don't make your attack on me my attack on your moderation team - I've seen you go off like this a few times over the years, I can recall at least a few times before you were a mod.

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion in a thread that should be focused on the loss of 239 lives. I'm sorry if I misread your post because it looked like conspiracy nonsense, but I would do the same again. We do not have time to READ every post before taking action. There are 30,000 users and millions of posts. We have to make decisions on the spur of the moment and sometimes a decent post gets treated as if it was a poor one. That is no excuse for insulting anyone.

If there's still a problem use the report button or start a thread in Feedback.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: March 24, 2014, 06:06:19 pm »
One of the most frightening facts that has come out of this investigation is the discovery that some nations shut down their radar in the middle of the night. If I were a terrorist that would be wonderful information. Unbelievable in this day and age, isn't it?
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #485 on: March 24, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »
No offence taken mate.  I do understand the vastness of our planet, i also know that technology is not infallible. Saying that, surely you can see how its hard to understand how we lose a plane.

First of all RIP to those unlucky passengers.

Secondly, to explain how a plane can just "get lost". Imagine you misplaced your phone. You ring it and locate it with the ringtone. Imagine, if its on vibration mode. You take some time. But then you find it. Now imagine if its switched off.

Now extrapolate it to the plane.

Systems:

All planes have a addressing and reporting system (ACARS) that they use and communicate with the air traffic control. There is a transponder radar that constantly beeps out the lat and lon location of the plane. There is also a surveillance broadcasting system. In addition that, there is a Black Box that practically CANNOT be destructed. Or it can be. But requires extreme conditions.

In addition to this, Rolly Royce Engines, have a sensor built in their engines that monitors the engine 24x7. It doesnt give out lat and lon coordinates. But engine parameters. Keep it in mind for a future reference.

Control Mechanism:

As flights travel across one air space to another, the region of control also changes. For example, if an aeroplane leaves Germany and enters French air space, the control (above mentioned paremeters, altitude of flight, speed, whether or not the pilot can use the autopilot, weather updates, security updates, presence of other aeroplanes, their speed, altitude etc) gets transferred. And then when it flies over Spain, the control is once again transferred to Spanish air space. Thats why on very long flights, you have constant altitude and speed changes as they depend on the air space above each country.

Now imagine a flight flying from Germany to Chicago. As soon as they leave the European air space, until they enter the American air space, they dont have a "control" update. Which means, until they receive new updates, they have to maintain the same "settings". Care is always taken to ensure that none of two flights flying in opposite directions the between two countries/continents have the same altitude. This region is called the international air space. There are established protocols for a safe flight through this international air space and contacts arent established unless there is an emergency. Which is why, auto pilots are a mandatory in this region. You set a target coordinate and switch the auto pilot on.

And while flying through the international air space, the pilots leave out frequent status updates (I think its every 10 minutes. But I maybe wrong) on the go. Satellites catch them, decode them and send them to the two associated airspace control towers. That way, even when flying above large oceans, the status updates about the plane, is received by the concerned parties.

Terrain:

What happens when the terrain is very rough or has a very bad weather. In the following diagram, imagine there is a control tower behind the mountain.

The plane is flying above the mountains, in the green region, so the communication can be established. But what happens when the flight flies below the top of the mountain, in the red region? The signal cannot reach the aeroplane right?

So what went wrong on MH 370?

Combine the control and terrain and apply it to the flight that was to fly from Malaysia to China. The Sea between Malaysia and Vietnam was where the international air space came to being. So technically neither Malaysian air space not Vietnamese air space were controlling the settings of the aeroplane. And someone who know how the tracking systems work on the plane, had it switched off/deactivated. And since no contact would be made unless there was an emergency, a lack of contact was assumed to be normal. There was a status update that was skipped. But nobody cared/bothered to find out why.

The terrain was moderately bad as well if what some reports were to be believed. But I am not sure about that. So lets not go there.

It also happens to be by chance, that the other 2 aeroplanes that were flying in the same region were in a different altitude. So nothing was fishy from the outside perspective.

So back to present.

See how difficult it is to lose an aeroplane? And despite everything, the systems were deactivated and the no updates were sent/received. Which is why, the location of the aeroplane is, as of now, a mystery.

The Rolls Royce engines, as I mentioned above, continued to send out engine data for upto 7 hours after the last known contact point.

Which is why, the investigators were able to narrow down on a circle shown below.

Whats for the future?

This will surely rise many more questions about the safety of the air travel.

(a)
What needs to be done, is to have a system installed that requests the plane for its coordinates. Or gets it automatically. But it shouldnt be deactivated from the aeroplane. It should be controlled from the land. That way, even if all the electronic gadgets within an aeroplane is switched off, a connection still would exist between the land and the aeroplane. And when no response is obtained, swift action can be taken.

(b)
For a flying aircraft, a working engine is essential. So enhance the system to include the broadcast of latitude and longitude. That way, wven when the airplane is flying over difficult terrain, some of the broadcasted data can be read and saved.

(c)
When an accident occurs, even in areas where there is a difficult terrain, the black box should be able to launch itself 25000-26000 feet, emit those bright light (bright enough for days) and smoke for some considerable hours of time, in addition to emitting SOS signal.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #486 on: March 24, 2014, 06:21:39 pm »
RIP to all those if indeed it is the aircraft and it would appear likely at this stage.

Now the real questions will start.  How and why did it end up there?  And they'll probably not be able to categorically answer that with no survivors and no comms with the aircraft.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #487 on: March 24, 2014, 06:46:20 pm »
This is amazing. This has partially renewed my faith in American journalism

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgMxZ29k02E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tgMxZ29k02E</a>

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: March 24, 2014, 06:51:55 pm »
RIP to all those if indeed it is the aircraft and it would appear likely at this stage.

Now the real questions will start.  How and why did it end up there?  And they'll probably not be able to categorically answer that with no survivors and no comms with the aircraft.

It'll come down to how much of the wreckage they find and whether they recover the flight recorders.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: March 24, 2014, 07:04:57 pm »
I remember watching a documentary on Rolls Royce engines, and i recall it being explained that they relay information on an ongoing basis as to the health of the engine, so data can be pulled and in theory identify if there are any issues before they occur. Do planes have a process where other features are relayed? Such as cabin pressure, temperature inside the plane etc? I'm clearly a complete novice when it comes to the technical specification of Aeroplanes, so i'm keen to learn precisely what information might exist in circulation prior to any blackbox revelations.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #490 on: March 24, 2014, 07:11:04 pm »
I remember watching a documentary on Rolls Royce engines, and i recall it being explained that they relay information on an ongoing basis as to the health of the engine, so data can be pulled and in theory identify if there are any issues before they occur. Do planes have a process where other features are relayed? Such as cabin pressure, temperature inside the plane etc? I'm clearly a complete novice when it comes to the technical specification of Aeroplanes, so i'm keen to learn precisely what information might exist in circulation prior to any blackbox revelations.

Systems:

All planes have a addressing and reporting system (ACARS) that they use and communicate with the air traffic control. There is a transponder radar that constantly beeps out the lat and lon location of the plane. There is also a surveillance broadcasting system. In addition that, there is a Black Box that practically CANNOT be destructed. Or it can be. But requires extreme conditions.

In addition to this, Rolly Royce Engines, have a sensor built in their engines that monitors the engine 24x7. It doesnt give out lat and lon coordinates. But engine parameters. Keep it in mind for a future reference.

Control Mechanism:

As flights travel across one air space to another, the region of control also changes. For example, if an aeroplane leaves Germany and enters French air space, the control (above mentioned paremeters, altitude of flight, speed, whether or not the pilot can use the autopilot, weather updates, security updates, presence of other aeroplanes, their speed, altitude etc) gets transferred. And then when it flies over Spain, the control is once again transferred to Spanish air space. Thats why on very long flights, you have constant altitude and speed changes as they depend on the air space above each country.

Now imagine a flight flying from Germany to Chicago. As soon as they leave the European air space, until they enter the American air space, they dont have a "control" update. Which means, until they receive new updates, they have to maintain the same "settings". Care is always taken to ensure that none of two flights flying in opposite directions the between two countries/continents have the same altitude. This region is called the international air space. There are established protocols for a safe flight through this international air space and contacts arent established unless there is an emergency. Which is why, auto pilots are a mandatory in this region. You set a target coordinate and switch the auto pilot on.

And while flying through the international air space, the pilots leave out frequent status updates (I think its every 10 minutes. But I maybe wrong) on the go. Satellites catch them, decode them and send them to the two associated airspace control towers. That way, even when flying above large oceans, the status updates about the plane, is received by the concerned parties.

Read the above post for further information on what I know.  :)

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: March 24, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »
Regarding the black box, is it not possible to have that info transmitted to a Dropbox type server? That way you could check the last known communication.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: March 24, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
(c)
When an accident occurs, even in areas where there is a difficult terrain, the black box should be able to launch itself 25000-26000 feet, emit those bright light (bright enough for days) and smoke for some considerable hours of time, in addition to emitting SOS signal.

How would the black box know when to eject? Isn't the whole point that it records continuously right up to the final moments?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #493 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:43 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgMxZ29k02E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tgMxZ29k02E</a>

Well I never!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #494 on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:34 pm »
How would the black box know when to eject? Isn't the whole point that it records continuously right up to the final moments?

In my bachelor thesis we researched a very small part of this ejection process. But it was for a military flight application.

Basically, the factors that depend are a combination of...

(a) Rate of descend
(b) Level of Cabin pressure, fuel level
(c) Height from the ground (This is inversely proportional to the rate of descend) EDIT: HAD A BRAINFART. This value, I assume, was kept constant.
(d) Manual Activation (Although this could be automated as well)

And since it was for a military application, the black box would propel itself with such a velocity that it would have been able to travel 40-50 kilometers before falling down. And it would only emit encrypted signals that triangulates to the location of the black box.

There would obviously be more parameters for this. But we werent allowed any further data.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:19:26 pm by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #495 on: March 24, 2014, 10:13:20 pm »
239 people on board yet no one rang or texted a loved one when the shit hit the fan .....either they didn't know something was wrong or they never had time to react ...

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2014, 10:16:04 pm »
239 people on board yet no one rang or texted a loved one when the shit hit the fan .....either they didn't know something was wrong or they never had time to react ...

How do you phone/text when you're flying? Aren't all phones meant to be on "plane mode" or off before take off? Think it's been mentioned there was no wi-fi on this flight either.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »

We don't know what happened so we can't speculate about the shit hitting anything. The plane is assumed to have finally gone down in the South Indian Ocean over a thousand miles from the nearest land.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:58 am »
Strong work by the UK's air safety agency that modeled the flight path* from such scanty data

* and Immarstat that collect the data.
The spokesman for Immarstat was just interviewed on the bbc
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:38:29 am by kavah »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #499 on: March 25, 2014, 01:44:17 am »
Nothing to say for now except RIP to all the families and friends aboard the flight.

The rest of you, carry on bickering if that is what you think is for the best.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:43 am »
Or you don't get a signal at 35,000 feet?

I have tried to see if you can get reception on a plane and you dont. No idea why as 35,000 feet is only about 6 miles so technically you are still in range of a phone mast, but the masts might be designed to have a range that is more horizontal then vertical.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:51 am »
I have tried to see if you can get reception on a plane and you dont. No idea why as 35,000 feet is only about 6 miles so technically you are still in range of a phone mast, but the masts might be designed to have a range that is more horizontal then vertical.

They were 2500 kilometres from the nearest land according to the latest information. Height wasn't the biggest issue.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline TaylorJ79

• Looking to buy a tractor.
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:52 am »
Sad news today...RIP to all the people on that plane.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2014, 11:30:19 am »
They were 2500 kilometres from the nearest land according to the latest information. Height wasn't the biggest issue.

I know, I was talking about the part of the journey that went over land after it changed direction but looking at the maps again its looks like a very brief flight over a 'thin' part of Indonesia and then open sea for most of the flight
Thinking is overrated.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36:59 am »
Very sad, has anyone ever read the transcripts and analysis of the AF447 Crash?

Can be found here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/crashes/what-really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877

Very scary read, it's amazing we all place our lives on someones hands and a freak out could get everyone killed.

I hope no such tragedy occured with MH370, hope no one suffered, very scary, especially seeing as the plane flew for so long!

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: March 25, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »

Can be found here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/crashes/what-really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877

Very scary read, it's amazing we all place our lives on someones hands and a freak out could get everyone killed.

I hope no such tragedy occured with MH370, hope no one suffered, very scary, especially seeing as the plane flew for so long!

That is terrifying.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: March 25, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »
RIP to all and just hope they never had too long to suffer.
I remember the Korean airliner shot down by the Russians in the 80's and it took something like 10-15 minutes to crash with all on board conscious, must have been terrifying.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #507 on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:40 pm »

Very scary stuff that, but one in a million chance probably. There has to be a perfect storm of a lot of things happening at once for that to happen, and sadly it did on that flight.
In that case, it was a case of IF they had done this and IF they had done that. The captain coming back in and taking control might have prevented that crash, but he didn't.

Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #508 on: March 25, 2014, 03:33:54 pm »
R.I.P to all who sadly passed away. Must be terrible for their families.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:45 pm »
Very scary stuff that, but one in a million chance probably. There has to be a perfect storm of a lot of things happening at once for that to happen, and sadly it did on that flight.
In that case, it was a case of IF they had done this and IF they had done that. The captain coming back in and taking control might have prevented that crash, but he didn't.

Air Crash Investigation covered that flight.All easily avoidable.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #510 on: March 25, 2014, 06:08:15 pm »
Air Crash Investigation covered that flight.All easily avoidable.

Scary scary stuff. The thing that struck me most is that the captain wasn't back within seconds of being called back to the flight deck. There shouldn't be any sort of delay in that situation. You get called back to the flight deck as a captain there's zero reason why they need to call you twice.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #511 on: March 26, 2014, 09:21:45 am »
Is it known at what point during the flight that the plane goes up to 45,000 feet altitude? Was that before or after the sharp left turn?

On a side note, Ive read that Air France transcipt a number of times and it gets even more chilling everytime I read it. Its also a somewhat fascinating insight into what happens during an emergency in flight. I do not like flying but i cant help watching those plane crash programs and wanting to know all possibilities in what may go wrong. Yesterday I stumbled across this site: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

It lists all black box recording transcripts of failed flights. Im not sure why but I cant tear myself away from reading them, if for any other reason than to try and understand what goes on in the cockpit in the middle of a disaster. The pilots nearly always remain calm and composed. Its the one job ive always said deserves every penny paid for. Pilots are amazingly courageous individuals and I have the utmost respect for them above most if not all professions. Its rare if not non existant that you hear a pilot intentionally being responsible for some sort of inflight aviation sabotage leading to the mass murder of all onboard. I cant help feel that MH370 was an accident due to technical/mechanical issues.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:25:51 am by Bobby Ffowler »

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:09 am »
Is it known at what point during the flight that the plane goes up to 45,000 feet altitude? Was that before or after the sharp left turn?

On a side note, Ive read that Air France transcipt a number of times and it gets even more chilling everytime I read it. Its also a somewhat fascinating insight into what happens during an emergency in flight. I do not like flying but i cant help watching those plane crash programs and wanting to know all possibilities in what may go wrong. Yesterday I stumbled across this site: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

It lists all black box recording transcripts of failed flights. Im not sure why but I cant tear myself away from reading them, if for any other reason than to try and understand what goes on in the cockpit in the middle of a disaster. The pilots nearly always remain calm and composed. Its the one job ive always said deserves every penny paid for. Pilots are amazingly courageous individuals and I have the utmost respect for them above most if not all professions. Its rare if not non existant that you hear a pilot intentionally being responsible for some sort of inflight aviation sabotage leading to the mass murder of all onboard. I cant help feel that MH370 was an accident due to technical/mechanical issues.

ill take a look at that site a bit later...I cant help but think that in a lot of accidents it is often a battle between tech and human.The human deciphers the wrong info given to them by the mass amounts of computer detail in the cockpit.It can cause mass confusion.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:10 am »

What a patronising sack of shit. "Ok, just calm yourself down". Thought he was going to pat her on the head for a minute.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2014, 11:59:24 am »
Scary scary stuff. The thing that struck me most is that the captain wasn't back within seconds of being called back to the flight deck. There shouldn't be any sort of delay in that situation. You get called back to the flight deck as a captain there's zero reason why they need to call you twice.
What's really scary and ridiculous is that the other co-pilot didn't know what the other person was doing the whole time. Even when the captain came back, it was too late when they realized what was happening.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: March 26, 2014, 01:42:28 pm »
I see the BBC are reporting that American lawyers have started legal proceedings... surely the blood sucking vultures can wait until we know what actually happened?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #516 on: March 26, 2014, 06:00:43 pm »

Oh how I wish I hadn't read that.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2014, 09:05:00 pm »
Yesterday I stumbled across this site: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

Put the frighteners on you reading some of those.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2014, 09:06:06 pm »
Put the frighteners on you reading some of those.

"Ma I love you"

:(

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: March 28, 2014, 06:43:57 am »
So they now believe they have been looking in completely the wrong area and have shifted the search area further north, due to the aircraft burning it's fuel quicker. All those objects spotted then, how come they have not made no further mention of what they actually were?