Author Topic: General West Brom thread  (Read 81377 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Steve Clarke's West Brom
« Reply #120 on: August 6, 2013, 05:27:21 am »
They seem to be using an approach as a more low-market version of Fulham at the moment by signing older and experienced players. It's a gamble and is likely an expensive one given that older players will demand higher wages. Fulham have done it for years and have managed Premier League survival either comfortably or by scraping through at the death. As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be worried if I was a West Brom fan. The likes of Swansea, Norwich, Aston Villa, Southampton and Fulham have all improved in some shape or form. Last season, West Brom scored a respectable 53 league goals. However, 17 (32%) of those were scored by Lukaku, who likely won't be returning on loan. They're also likely to sell Odemwingie (5 goals) released Fortune (1 goal) and haven't resigned Gera (4 goals). That's more than half (27 or 51%) of their goals from last season gone and Anelka is the only forward they have presently signed. Marcus Rosenberg, who they signed on a free last summer, didn't score once in 24 league appearances. And they have no Dan Ashworth to keep things in check. They're an outside candidate for relegation in my book.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #121 on: August 6, 2013, 09:23:36 am »
They seem to be using an approach as a more low-market version of Fulham at the moment by signing older and experienced players. It's a gamble and is likely an expensive one given that older players will demand higher wages. Fulham have done it for years and have managed Premier League survival either comfortably or by scraping through at the death. As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be worried if I was a West Brom fan. The likes of Swansea, Norwich, Aston Villa, Southampton and Fulham have all improved in some shape or form. Last season, West Brom scored a respectable 53 league goals. However, 17 (32%) of those were scored by Lukaku, who likely won't be returning on loan. They're also likely to sell Odemwingie (5 goals) released Fortune (1 goal) and haven't resigned Gera (4 goals). That's more than half (27 or 51%) of their goals from last season gone and Anelka is the only forward they have presently signed. Marcus Rosenberg, who they signed on a free last summer, didn't score once in 24 league appearances. And they have no Dan Ashworth to keep things in check. They're an outside candidate for relegation in my book.
Good shout that.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #122 on: August 6, 2013, 11:16:30 am »
Is Clarke trying to assemble the ultimate dirty bastard team? Lugano joins the ever growing Hawthorns rogues gallery that already consists of Olsson, Yacob, Odemwingie and ass magnet Mulumbu. Right under our noses, one of the most inoffensive sides in the league are being transformed into masters of the dark arts.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »
ESPN are claiming Anelka has walked out of training & has informed West Brom he has retired, pretty bad news for West Brom if that is true.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »
His brother died and he's been given time off on compassionate grounds. I've deleted a few posts for obvious reasons.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »
ESPN are claiming Anelka has walked out of training & has informed West Brom he has retired, pretty bad news for West Brom if that is true.
He's been poor since he left Chelsea, it actually does more good than harm to West Brom as they will play Vydra up front. Anyway, I am sorry to hear his brother/agent has died.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:04 pm »
Very sad news to hear  :(. With regards to West Brom they are going to find this season very tough for me, just cant see where the goals are going to come from.

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2013, 12:00:55 pm »
I think Steve Clarke has handled the situation with Anelka really well.
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »
Feelings go out to Anelka. Those kind of things can really be distressing. Also feel for Steve Clarke as that's a major blow for them.

Offline krispy.red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #129 on: September 2, 2013, 11:35:18 pm »
Sessegnon makes his dream move sounds like...  :-X

http://youtu.be/mS9sRRQFd3o

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #130 on: September 2, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »
Is probably going down this year.

Offline pundapat

• Kopite
« Reply #131 on: September 2, 2013, 11:51:02 pm »

Still early days but that's the same feeling I've gotten off them so far.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #132 on: September 3, 2013, 12:01:42 am »

Less than a year ago there were people on here bigging up West Brom and suggesting Clarke should have been the Liverpool manager instead of Rodgers. How things change...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 3, 2013, 12:02:06 am »
I wrote in another thread that I think that they will struggle this season. We saw Newcastle United drop from 5th to 16th in the space of one season and I don't believe that this West Brom side is any better than what Newcastle has/had. West Brom has not really done any good business this summer. If they could have landed Lukaku on loan again then they might have had a chance because he worked well in their system and would more than likely get them enough goals to keep them safe. I’m also very surprised that they let Shane Long go. I know that he isn’t the most prolific striker in the world but he has scored 8 league goals in both of his seasons at West Brom which can’t be sniffed at when you’re clearly going to struggle for goals!

edit: it looks like Shane Long isn't joining Hull City! I should probably wait until the transfer window properly closes before spouting rubbish!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 3, 2013, 12:07:59 am by JavierMascherano20 »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 3, 2013, 12:03:22 am »
Kept Long, signed Anichebe (well they would have liked Lukaku but Anichebe may well be a decent-ish signing for them) and Sessegnon also joined them.

Let's see how Clark can make a decent attacking force out of these players.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #135 on: September 3, 2013, 03:41:06 am »
Less than a year ago there were people on here bigging up West Brom and suggesting Clarke should have been the Liverpool manager instead of Rodgers. How things change...

Very Owen Coyle-esq about him in that sense. They'd be my outisde bet for the drop.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 3, 2013, 03:42:18 am »
Don't think they'll go down.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #137 on: September 3, 2013, 03:48:12 am »
I definitely think they are a potential relegation candidate and have been criticizing their approach this summer, but they might have somewhat redeemed themselves. Keeping Long was important, but the fact they could have lost him to Hull must be worrying for their fans. Sessegnon could either be a great buy, or an absolute flop.  He was excellent for Sunderland the past two seasons, but seemed to tail off in parts that massively affected their form. I think buying Anichebe for £6m is absolutely shocking to be honest: a panic buy of the highest order.  He's only scored 18 goals in 131 games for Everton. Given that the pair of them scored a combined thirteen goals between them last year, they have to hope they can score more, as they heavily relied on Lukaku last year.

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 3, 2013, 07:55:15 am »
I definitely think they are a potential relegation candidate and have been criticizing their approach this summer, but they might have somewhat redeemed themselves. Keeping Long was important, but the fact they could have lost him to Hull must be worrying for their fans. Sessegnon could either be a great buy, or an absolute flop.  He was excellent for Sunderland the past two seasons, but seemed to tail off in parts that massively affected their form. I think buying Anichebe for £6m is absolutely shocking to be honest: a panic buy of the highest order.  He's only scored 18 goals in 131 games for Everton. Given that the pair of them scored a combined thirteen goals between them last year, they have to hope they can score more, as they heavily relied on Lukaku last year.
As bad of a player as Anichebe is, I doubt he will be used a poacher, more as a base to where they will use his aerial strength to win headers and for Long to bounce on the loose balls and score goals.

Agree with you that Lukaku will be sorely missed though.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 3, 2013, 08:28:34 am »
Sessegnon is a bright player, Anichebe has a few attributes that suggest a long run in a team might mean he scores relatively well. Bold moves I think but they needed fresh faces.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 3, 2013, 08:40:56 am »
Kept Long, signed Anichebe (well they would have liked Lukaku but Anichebe may well be a decent-ish signing for them) and Sessegnon also joined them.

Let's see how Clark can make a decent attacking force out of these players.
If they were ingredients on Ready, Steady, Cook then Ainsley Harriott would trying to make a shepherd's pie with a scratched DVD, the cap from a bottle of Oasis and a shoe.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 3, 2013, 08:58:16 am »
Lost Lukaku and Odemwingie, but it would of been a nightmare had Shane Long signed for Hull. Sessegnon is a good acquistion, they needed some creativity in the final third. Have my doubts over Anichebe, but he;s better than nothing in the end.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline gavshak

• Main Stander
  • West Brom fan 'in peace'
« Reply #142 on: September 3, 2013, 11:13:51 am »
I think we're going to struggle massively this season.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 3, 2013, 12:10:05 pm »
Can't believe they tried to shift Long to Hull, I thought he was quite good for them last year rotating with Lukaku. They're already struggling for goals, I dont see the logic in that.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 3, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »
Can't believe they tried to shift Long to Hull, I thought he was quite good for them last year rotating with Lukaku. They're already struggling for goals, I dont see the logic in that.
I think they thought Lukaku might be coming himself. Once they realized that big Romelu was heading to Everton, they proceeded with the deals for Anichebe and kept Long.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 3, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »
Think they might struggle to score this year and will be above the relegation zone. They'll still be organised defensively. Remember Clarke did bugger all to help a free falling west ham drop with Zola. Good coach still don't think he's cut out to be a manager for some strange reason.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 3, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »
They'll stay up purely because there are teams worse than them.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 3, 2013, 12:18:19 pm »
Think they might struggle to score this year and will be above the relegation zone. They'll still be organised defensively. Remember Clarke did bugger all to help a free falling west ham drop with Zola. Good coach still don't think he's cut out to be a manager for some strange reason.
West Ham didn't drop under Zola, they dropped the following year with Grant in charge.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2013, 09:42:16 pm »
Ian Dennis from the BBC saying on twitter that Steve Clarke has been sacked.  Very very odd, if that's true.

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
West Bromwich Albion sack Head Coach Steve Clarke
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2013, 09:42:25 pm »
Steve Clarke has been sacked by West Bromwich Albion this evening.

More on the site here

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/clarke-relieved-of-duties-1236295.aspx

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:04 pm »
Sacked.

Benn long coming, they are woeful.

Crazy to think in some parts, people wanted Clarke over Rodgers.
YNWA

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
Re: West Bromwich Albion sack Head Coach Steve Clarke
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »
What the fuck?
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:15 pm »
Haha, fuck off West Brom. Hope they go down now.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2013, 09:44:13 pm »
Unbelieavable,utter disgrace.

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »
Haha, fuck off West Brom. Hope they go down now.
Indeed. Stats don't look good for this year, but weren't they still in and around the top 5 at this point 12 months ago?
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:08 pm »
West Brom have confirmed Steve Clarke has been "relieved of his duties" and placed on gardening leave following Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Cardiff.

Club director Richard Garlick said: “We have reluctantly come to the decision to relieve Steve of his duties after very careful consideration.

“It has been well documented that we have not had the rub of the green in certain games this season but that does not cloud the generally disappointing points return during this calendar year, culminating in today’s fourth-successive defeat at Cardiff.

“This Club's track record proves we do not take such decisions lightly, having only enforced a change in this position three times in approximately 14 years.

“But with key games coming thick and fast, we felt it was important we acted now to give the Club the best possible chance of a successful outcome this season.

“Our player wage bill is the highest in the Club’s history and we feel we have built a squad capable of being very competitive in the Premier League.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:18 pm »
Saft arses.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:27 pm »
Bell ends, he was great last season, one rough patch and he's gone. Can they not see the best non-oil money clubs all have stability at their core?

Oh well, time to grab one off the merry go round.

Managers must be pissing themselves laughing as they go in and out of clubs picking up millions in pay offs every other year
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
Modern day football in a nutshell.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »
odd one
bollocks