Author Topic: SoccerManager - Looking for new managers  (Read 591978 times)

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
Re: Soccer Manager League 2
« Reply #8960 on: February 19, 2018, 05:54:11 pm »
Is there a certain age with players where you think he's not going to fulfil his potential and you sell him?

Feel like i'm holding on to a few players now just waiting for them to fulfil their potential too scared of selling them incase they rise haha

But saying that, i only signed Calhanoglu and Sarabia as squad fillers, they are 25 & 24 , but they've been hitting top form recently would be nice if one of them rises

No specific age for me, players develop at all sorts of different rates so it's impossible to tell. I'm brutal with replacing players when they go through a rough patch though :D There's always the risk they'll go on an amazing run of form just after you've sold them and it always stings. Think you've just got to accept it as part of the game though and not spend too much time worrying about the players you've sold. If you keep taking the plunge on new players then you're bound to stumble across some more good 'uns in time.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8961 on: February 19, 2018, 06:45:55 pm »
I treat every player separately, some have a ceiling you can often predict. It's harder with the real young ones but once they reach 22-23 It's easier to predict.

So it does depend on age, promise and club for me.

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8962 on: February 20, 2018, 02:50:50 pm »
I might be ready to give up on Leon Bailey if his flag changes.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8963 on: March 1, 2018, 06:23:15 pm »
Been a little while since I'd dabbled in the trading market. Lacazette returns to PSV, been looking to bring in another higher rated forward since trading Salah away. Always nice to have an option like that off the bench and it really helps in the cups as well. Sending one of our very best young players the other way, Aouar the Little Prince. He's destined to be a star and I'll miss watching him grow as a player, but having bought him for 800k last summer we haven't done too badly!

Want to bring in a sexy midfielder to play alongside Pjanic next, who's selling? :D Could still do with another forward as well.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8964 on: March 8, 2018, 08:46:07 pm »
Steered Valencia to their longest unbeaten run after beating Milan at the San Siro, moving up to fourth in the process.

Might be a bit late for an automatic promotion push but look to be securing myself a playoff place and given we’re on a 10 game unbeaten run, we have to be seen as the form team with a good chance of gaining promotion through that means.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8965 on: March 15, 2018, 08:19:52 pm »
Massive congrats to Alex and Bayern for finally breaking their trophy duck!

Meanwhile, in other news....

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8966 on: March 22, 2018, 10:20:21 am »
Anybody on here want to take Barcelona over? LM is leaving...

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8967 on: March 27, 2018, 04:11:12 pm »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8968 on: March 27, 2018, 07:03:11 pm »
Breaking News from Barca's HQ:

After much speculation on the future of Barcelona FC with the imminent retirement of chief machismo Lawnmowerman, we can officially announce that Inter boss Betty Blue has been named his successor. He will take up the position after the final game of the current season. Despite talks of disbanding the club after fans reportedly began burning their shirts and ransacking the club shop after LM confirmed his departure, the men at the top have decided to take a gamble on the young hotshot Inter boss. Mr Blue was himself rumoured to be quitting football at the end of the season to concentrate on other things, but it seems the lure of the Barcelona job has seen him make an incredible u-turn.

Fan response has been neutral so far with many believing the young manager has shown the potential to succeed at the top level after some impressive cup runs at Inter (including one trophy) and a points per game average on par with many clubs above their status. However, the LMBFC supporters club have already shown their outrage by dubbing the appointment David Moyes MKII and claiming the job is too much too early for Blue. The man of the moment broke his silence briefly earlier today to say this "Neymar, fuck yeah!". Wise words indeed.

Meanwhile, Riots in Greece continue as many fear for the lives of a number of SMers who remain missing since the Barca news began to filter through. In other news, Kasper Dolberg and Alexander Isak were found huddled in the corner of the Inter dressing room crying into each other's arms and clinging to a training top Mr Blue had left in the laundry pile.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8969 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:33 am »
Weak sauce. Was looking forward to getting my grubby hands on some of those Barca players. Glad you’ve decided to stay on though, Betty.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #8970 on: March 28, 2018, 11:58:24 am »
Is the Inter squad worth plundering ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8971 on: March 28, 2018, 06:01:02 pm »
Is the Inter squad worth plundering ?

I'd quite like to see someone take them over, as there's a hell of a base there for someone to work from. But otherwise they'll make for a few good bidding wars. Don't think there's really enough there for a full draft though.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8972 on: March 28, 2018, 07:54:26 pm »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8973 on: April 2, 2018, 12:51:29 pm »
Nice clean and uncomplicated buisness done.

Ta la .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8974 on: April 3, 2018, 07:52:02 pm »
12 games into management and after a long slog I've finally got Valencia back into the top division, with a winner by new signing Herrera. Time to invest for a new challenge.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8975 on: April 4, 2018, 03:17:32 pm »
12 games into management and after a long slog I've finally got Valencia back into the top division, with a winner by new signing Herrera. Time to invest for a new challenge.

Congrats mate. Well done  :thumbup

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8976 on: April 5, 2018, 09:42:28 am »

Play off champs! Congrats mate, great to see a new manager come in and do well  :thumbup

Plenty of changes at PSV in recent days. The main man Paulo Dybala back in red & white stripes once again! His third stint with us ;D Jan Vertonghen also joins from Madrid to beef up the defence, hoping he can form a nice partnership with Godin. Had to give up some cracking young talent to push those deals through, so Ismaila Sarr is also drafted in from Juve & we'll look to further replenish the youth squad over the coming days.

Also on the look-out for another CM for the first team and still have some good trading chips in case anyone's selling!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8977 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:18 pm »
Good point.

Winning without winning.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8978 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:36 pm »
Nastasic can go to anybody whobwants him. His morale is shot.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8979 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:20 pm »
Good point.

Winning without winning.

Good work, mate. Anything which doesn't result is 0 points against the Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez trident is a win in my book.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8980 on: April 16, 2018, 12:21:47 pm »
Good work, mate. Anything which doesn't result is 0 points against the Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez trident is a win in my book.

Cheers. Its happened before in games like this were Ive snatched a 1 - 0 but happy with the point.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8981 on: April 16, 2018, 08:19:10 pm »
Anybody want to take over PSG?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8982 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:04 pm »
Anybody want to take over PSG?

Just take that crazy offer I made you and shake it up some, mate. I'll even throw in Alba. Trading is the life blood of the game.

It would be a real shame if you left.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8983 on: April 17, 2018, 07:46:03 am »
ive just lost all interest in all game worlds, i don't even want to log in and look for players anymore, plus i'm on holiday for 2 weeks soon just wondering should i give it up

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8984 on: April 17, 2018, 07:53:51 am »
Back in the building after a busy week of travelling! Looks like they’ve stolen Rudy’s RB position in the meantime :wanker So I’m on the lookout for a new RB if anyone’s keen to trade.

Also, Lawnmo’s PMed me saying he wants to hand over the reins. Say hello to your new Overlord ;D

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8985 on: April 17, 2018, 07:56:24 am »
ive just lost all interest in all game worlds, i don't even want to log in and look for players anymore, plus i'm on holiday for 2 weeks soon just wondering should i give it up

Sad to hear that mate. The gameworlds have definitely been going through a bit of a lull recently with a few people leaving but I'm sure they'll be back with a bang.

Hope you don't leave but do whatever you feel is best for you.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8986 on: April 17, 2018, 10:31:43 am »
The biggest problem is the game it's self, reviews are too slow with players current form/ level not being reflected in the game. Makes buying younger players rather pointless and trading more difficult.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8987 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:18 am »
The biggest problem is the game it's self, reviews are too slow with players current form/ level not being reflected in the game. Makes buying younger players rather pointless and trading more difficult.

The 10 weeks you have to wait between signing someone and trading doesn't help much either. Really slows everything right down.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8988 on: April 17, 2018, 11:38:47 am »

That's very true. How I miss the days when a player’s rating could change at any moment. Always made for a nice (or bad!) surprise waking up to see a rating change. It created a really strong incentive to take punts on players in good form, in the hope that their rating would soon rise. And going the other way, it takes way too long for player ratings to drop as well. Benzema’s been stinking the place out for ages but I have no reason to sell him when I know he’ll be rated 94 for another month, and then probably 93 for at least another 6 months after that.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8989 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:56 pm »
That's very true. How I miss the days when a player’s rating could change at any moment. Always made for a nice (or bad!) surprise waking up to see a rating change. It created a really strong incentive to take punts on players in good form, in the hope that their rating would soon rise. And going the other way, it takes way too long for player ratings to drop as well. Benzema’s been stinking the place out for ages but I have no reason to sell him when I know he’ll be rated 94 for another month, and then probably 93 for at least another 6 months after that.

Never knew it used to be like that with the reviews. Must've been before my time. A pity they changed it - perhaps a reflection of them not making enough money off the game to sustain that level of work.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8990 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:18 pm »
Never knew it used to be like that with the reviews. Must've been before my time. A pity they changed it - perhaps a reflection of them not making enough money off the game to sustain that level of work.

Yeah it’s been a few years now. They still had a general system of cycling through the leagues & reviewing them one by one, but there were also plenty of surprise updates going on at the same time. The only recent example I can think of is Mbappe who rose to 86 last March, between the winter & summer reviews. They also used to have a list of the countries/leagues to be reviewed next, so you could tactically sign players who were due a rise.

Definitely must’ve been some sort of money-related decision to cut down on the time/resources they spend on SM Worlds. Seems like they’re focusing on that SM Arena game they’ve been advertising.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8991 on: April 17, 2018, 01:38:17 pm »
I think if Liam leaves then this world could be in trouble to be honest. LM was the heartbeat of the league with his neverending trading and it's already suffering without him. I've tried pretty hard to trade over the last few weeks, but I obviously haven't got the talents he possessed! Terry seems to be on semi-permanent leave as well, which adds to the mounting list of lost/inactive managers.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8992 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:26 pm »
The other thing with Lawnmo is that he was great at chatting shit in here, which was always half the fun for me. Between him going on his RAWK hiatus and Klippity getting banned we lost two of the most active posters.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8993 on: April 17, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »
The other thing with Lawnmo is that he was great at chatting shit in here, which was always half the fun for me. Between him going on his RAWK hiatus and Klippity getting banned we lost two of the most active posters.

Yep, this thread has been quiet as hell since he left. Him taking the piss out of Kesey was half the fun! While Klippity was the master at stirring drama and getting us all arguing about random things  :D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8994 on: April 17, 2018, 05:10:23 pm »
Yep, this thread has been quiet as hell since he left. Him taking the piss out of Kesey was half the fun! While Klippity was the master at stirring drama and getting us all arguing about random things  :D

I give as good as I got. I never forget the time he sold me Suarez and then he goes and puts five past him in a 6 - 1 victory.

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8995 on: April 17, 2018, 05:51:52 pm »
I think if Liam leaves then this world could be in trouble to be honest. LM was the heartbeat of the league with his neverending trading and it's already suffering without him. I've tried pretty hard to trade over the last few weeks, but I obviously haven't got the talents he possessed! Terry seems to be on semi-permanent leave as well, which adds to the mounting list of lost/inactive managers.

I tried for Laporte.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8996 on: April 17, 2018, 05:58:25 pm »
I tried for Laporte.

It was a decent offer, mate. But I find it hard to deal with you to be honest. Maybe our temperaments just don't mesh. C'est la vie.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8997 on: April 18, 2018, 08:22:48 am »
It was a decent offer, mate. But I find it hard to deal with you to be honest. Maybe our temperaments just don't mesh. C'est la vie.

Fair enough. Funny how things turn out.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8998 on: April 19, 2018, 08:44:22 am »
With Lawnmo passing on the gameworld’s ownership, I was thinking it’s a good opportunity to hear people’s thoughts on the rules and any changes (if any) they might want to make to them. I really like the current rules & think they’ve contributed massively to making the gameworld more interesting, but you can always look for ways to tweak them for the better.

- The main one I’d change is turning on player concerns. I know that’s a controversial one though, especially for people who want to play more casually without having to worry about concerns, so we’d need a consensus (or near enough to it) to change that one.
- Lowering the squad cap could be a good way to generate some transfer action.
- I like the rules on buying from unmanaged clubs as they are at the moment, but these could also be changed if that’s what people want.
- Anything else I’m forgetting?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8999 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:13 am »
With Lawnmo passing on the gameworld’s ownership, I was thinking it’s a good opportunity to hear people’s thoughts on the rules and any changes (if any) they might want to make to them. I really like the current rules & think they’ve contributed massively to making the gameworld more interesting, but you can always look for ways to tweak them for the better.

- The main one I’d change is turning on player concerns. I know that’s a controversial one though, especially for people who want to play more casually without having to worry about concerns, so we’d need a consensus (or near enough to it) to change that one.
- Lowering the squad cap could be a good way to generate some transfer action.
- I like the rules on buying from unmanaged clubs as they are at the moment, but these could also be changed if that’s what people want.
- Anything else I’m forgetting?

1. Against player concern. It makes life too hard for those who can't get online much or people who just want to enjoy the game in a more relaxed way.

2. Open to any player cap changes. The 35 used in the Sleeping Giants world is a very nice number IMO. Although it's worth noting that due to the lack of money in that world it's harder to hit the cap anyway, so a change here could in fact be bad and impact on trading. On the flipside, knocking 5 players off each squad could really help the newer managers/smaller teams.

3. Yep, I've got no problem with those rules. They're in place to prevent teams from being picked dry and they also make it more tactical when you have to think carefully about using up your over 21 pick each season. Although there could perhaps be some leeway for newer managers who are in their first 6-12 months, as I know it's a real struggle when you can't get to those players you want that would give you more chance to trade and better your team. Maybe 2 over 21s and 2 under 21s for those guys.

4. Does you being boss now mean we're renaming the league Luis'?