Author Topic: Does Kevin Keegan get enough recognition for what he achieved at Liverpool?  (Read 64023 times)

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
There are pros and cons Keegan left when we were the best Club side on the planet and took a step down in playing terms. Torres gave us another six months when he could easily of forced a move the summer before he left.

What shouldn't be forgot is that whilst they were with us they were absolutely fantastic players and absolutely top professionals. As the saying goes though you cannot have your cake an eat it, it is almost impossible to force a move and retain the affection of the fans.

For me both players kept up their part of the bargain but for whatever reason the Club couldn't. In the case of Keegan we were unable to match the wages that Keegan wanted and for Torres it was a case of not being able to match his ambition.

Me I am just glad that we were able to see such talent in a red shirt and would much rather remember that than the way they left.

I remember Keegan with massive fondness.  Something I cannot say at this point in time for Torres.  Keegan was a great - he won major honours with us.  Torres was a (cult?) hero at a time when we were not winning things.  There is no comparison.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well it's a bit of relief to read of some of the comments on these threads. I'd almost formed the impression that there was quiet dislike from LFC supporters and folk on this forum for Kevin Keegan. He's clearly legend in the true sense and I do think the man himself deserves more recognition. King Kenny's name is sung all the time, but never Kevin Keegan. Would be lovely for once to hear Kevin Keegan's name being sung.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
There are pros and cons Keegan left when we were the best Club side on the planet and took a step down in playing terms. Torres gave us another six months when he could easily of forced a move the summer before he left.

What shouldn't be forgotton is that whilst they were with us they were absolutely fantastic players and absolutely top professionals not to mention being true World Class players. As the saying goes though you cannot have your cake an eat it, it is almost impossible to force a move and retain the affection of the fans.

For me both players kept up their part of the bargain but for whatever reason the Club couldn't. In the case of Keegan we were unable to match the wages that Keegan wanted and for Torres it was a case of not being able to match his ambition.

Me I am just glad that we were able to see such talent in a red shirt and would much rather remember that than the way they left.

On top of that Al, Keegan gave us a full season's notice. He hid nothing. Like he was a player, he's a decent honest lad.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Everythings pretty much been said ...other than he played brilliantly to win the European Cup but becouse he decided to leave never really got the credit for it....though he did get a black eye  ;)

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
I think the reference was more replacing a player thought irreplaceable with one far superior. Keegan was quality, superb a class act, but Dalglish was better. There aren't many players around in the mould of a Keegan which is a testament to the man and I would love it if someone of his like signed for us ion the future. Would have been interesting to see them both in the same team though.
"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
,great lad!!!
is right.
Its a great watch. Well worth setting aside an hour or so for.

Watched it today on lfc.tv.
Fuck. Gutted I missed it, would have recorded it, but I'm sure it'll be repeated.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
On top of that Al, Keegan gave us a full season's notice. He hid nothing. Like he was a player, he's a decent honest lad.

I wonder if he ever looks back with regret at his decision to leave. It must of been hard busting his gut for Southampton and watching Liverpool go from strength to strength.

As you say though a real class act who worked his way to the top the hard way.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
As already mentioned, he left us on good terms having given his all for the club and plenty of notice about moving on. Those days the wages were better in Germany and Italy. Rushie did the same. The difference with Rushie is that he came back and has always been a Liverpool man. Keegan really became a Toon man and that's why he doesn't get the same recognition.

Great player though and wonderful partnership with Tosh.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
I loved him. I worshipped him. I bounced up and down on the Kop to the 'Kevin Keegan walks on water' song. Even when I scored a goal for the school team I used to credit Keegan, putting on that great David Coleman voice and saying 'Keegan. One Nil'.

The interview on tv is really excellent. I advise everyone to watch it. He's good company. And you realise how amazing it was for Shanks to have drafted him straight into the first team on the opening day v Forest. Like he says in the interview no one at Anfield knew who he was that day - even the gateman, which was why he arrived late. Of course he scored in front of a supercharged Kop in one of the great Liverpool debuts.

I came across this recently. It's his third home Liverpool home game (v a very decent Leicester City team). He scores again, but you can tell by the noise the Kop makes whenever he gets the ball that something quite amazing is in the process of happening at Anfield. The combination of high skill and boundless energy made Keegan a special player. And the supporters cottoned straight away. Click to see what I mean.

http://youtu.be/SR8TG2TWkLM

The lad was on 40 quid a week at the time.

I wrote something about Kevin on here a few years back.  I think he'd just been sacked by Newcastle's joke owners.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=228185.0

It's before Suarez of course, but the Liverpool player who Suarez reminds me of more than anyone else is Keegan. They share the same galvanic effect on the rest of the team. And neither player lets the defence rest for a moment. And if the Uruguayan lad eventually leaves Anfield with 3 championship medals, a European cup and an FA cup-winning medal I won't be grumbling.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Fuck. Gutted I missed it, would have recorded it, but I'm sure it'll be repeated.

I watched it on the e-season. Dunno if its aired on tv yet so all hope may not be lost.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I watched it on the e-season. Dunno if its aired on tv yet so all hope may not be lost.

On LFCTV tomorrow at 9 pm.
Loved Keegan,up their with our greats.

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
When people talk about the very best Liverpool players of all time, Keegan rarely seems to be mentioned. Does he get the recognition he deserves? If not, why?

Probably not. But most of that is that he chose to leave, and chose not to be a Pool hero. Doesn't mean what he did was lessened, but, like Gerrard leaving to Chelsea, it would have dimmed our appreciation of him.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
I wonder if he ever looks back with regret at his decision to leave. It must of been hard busting his gut for Southampton and watching Liverpool go from strength to strength.

As you say though a real class act who worked his way to the top the hard way.
I don't think he did mate. Well, I've never heard him say anything like that. But that's Keegan, I suppose. I don't recall him ever moaning. Chinning Bremner, yeah. But moaning no.
It's on tv tomorrow night, mate. I just set it up to record. Don't tell me anything. I'm really looking forward to hearing him. That's another thing I don't recall... KK (That's Keegan to me, not Dalglish) ever really talking about his time at LFC.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
Keegan and Dalglish up front.

We'd have secured the quadruple for the 6/7 years straight.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Wont spoil it for you.

There's a great little anecdote about Toshack and Granada reports though.

He comes across as a throughly likeable fella. As he always has really.

Really enjoyed him speaking about LFC as, as you said, I cant recall him ever doing so. Was a great insight after so many years of having my ear bent about Keegan by my arl fella.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
has he made any more car-knicking jibes about our city?
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
You should speak to my Dad.  Feckin loves him.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Probably not. But most of that is that he chose to leave, and chose not to be a Pool hero. Doesn't mean what he did was lessened, but, like Gerrard leaving to Chelsea, it would have dimmed our appreciation of him.

He was already a hero before he left in my eyes. I was there for his first game for us and you could tell straight away he was gonna be something special. I think everyone sensed it. There was just a knowledge throughout the ground about it.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
He was already a hero before he left in my eyes. I was there for his first game for us and you could tell straight away he was gonna be something special. I think everyone sensed it. There was just a knowledge throughout the ground about it.

Same here along with 250,000 others!

Just watched his 60 minutes on .tv. Some really touching bits in it. You can tell Shanks was his hero and he still misses him...don't we all?

The most revealing part for me was when he talks about his departure. Many thought it better that he'd kept his mouth shut and just got off but he disagreed and added that the fact the club knew he was going gave them a year to take their time and find a replacement...and they made a 60 grand profit on the 2 transfers. The rest is history. I recommend it as well worth a watch for those who can get it.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Keegan was without doubt a great player...for those who didnt see him - think Suarez without the rough edges.......he helped take LFC to another level and then Dalglish and co took us even higher......thoroughly deserving of Liverpool legend status
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
Keegan, great player and a substantail part of our history. Off the pitch, often comes across as a few sarnies short of a picnic.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan

There's a great little anecdote about Toshack and Granada reports though.

Pound to a penny, it's about the telpathy experiment they did. I watched it at the time. We were all baffled until they finally let the cat out the bag about being able to see the cards reflected in the window.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
One of my favourite players of all time. Great 7 year career with us and such a huge part of that 70's success. From memory, the club persuaded him to stay for 1 more season and he thankfully agreed. Great memories of a terrific player.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
Was absolutely gutted and heartbroken when he left. Then delighted when I saw the King.

This
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
Pound to a penny, it's about the telpathy experiment they did. I watched it at the time. We were all baffled until they finally let the cat out the bag about being able to see the cards reflected in the window.

yeah i watched it too, just shows you how good they were as a front 2 that a telly company actually set up such an experiment.
they were that good together someone thought they were telepathic, thats what you call a strike partnership.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
He does from all of us who were lucky enough to see him play,absolutely fantastic player
Liverpools got Keegan in the middle,Keegan in the middle
Thats why we are supreme!!!!!!

Ha. Forgotten that one.

Tough little fucker an' all.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
He signed on for 40 quid a week.  I spoke to St.John once and he told me he was on 100 quid a week.  What's Gerrard on? 125 grand a week!  Times have changed.

But I think that's why Keegan took off to Hamburg, better pay packet.  He didn't let us down; winning the European Cup in his last game (where he played great) took the club to another level.

There was talk some of the team were ticked off at him for not putting in a shift against ManU in the FA Cup final, & so missing the treble.  But I don't buy it.

Before he came in the side, we were in transition from the 60s side and hadn't quite cracked the combination.  From his first game on, Keegan buzzed and everything fell into place. 

IMHO, from a playing perspective, the nearest comparison these days is Tevez (without the attitude), same kind of buzzy player.  Comparisons to Kenny are unfair to both him & Kenny.  I remember Kenny saying that when he signed. something along the lines that Keegan & Liverpool were good for each other, but he wasn't a replacement but his own man.

Paisley once said if he'd had both Kenny & Kevin in the same side he might have won something!

I saw the interview on .tv, and one thing jumps out is the man's humility.  Hell of a nice fella.

« Last Edit: November 4, 2011, 09:31:40 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
Everythings pretty much been said ...other than he played brilliantly to win the European Cup but becouse he decided to leave never really got the credit for it....though he did get a black eye  ;)

Some reward for turning Berti Vogts inside out all night  ;)

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
No he doesn't. In his day he was the spark that lit the fire.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
Fantastic player.
I'm sure I wasn't alone in being devastated when he decided to leave.
Then we signed Kenny and it was "Kevin who?"

Dare I say, that sequence of events is eerily similar to the Torres/Suarez situation and I sure do hope that in years to come, I'll be saying that anyway.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
Pretty much sums it up.

I'll always have fond memories of him playing for us.
The 74 final has already been mentioned and my first trip to Wembley.
Also went on a few Europe trips with our UEFA success in 76 and was even better in 77 when I went to Rome to see us lift big ears for the first time.

Great player who gave his all in every match he played.
Tough little fucker as well..

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this, and while i would now not piss on that spanish bloke if he was on fire, i genuinely felt gutted for KK as he trudged off the pitch at Anfield after we'd given Hamburg a hammering. The kop chanting ''you should have stayed at Anfield'' probably didn't help matters :D

I was heartbroken as a kid when he left and have nothing but fond memories of the bloke.
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On a side note, how long did it take for people to realise how special Kenny was? Was it a seamless transition like Suarez making us forget Torres or a slow burner like Beardsley?
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Fantastic player.
I'm sure I wasn't alone in being devastated when he decided to leave.
Then we signed Kenny and it was "Kevin who?"
You're not alone Terry!

Keegan, Stevie Heighway Ray Kennedy were the reasons I started following Liverpool. When he left, I couldn't fathom it out why he went, as he was the main man for me. Then Kenny came along and to be honest, as I got older and studied the game more and watched Kenny in the flesh a lot more than I did Keegan, I kind of fell into the "Kevin who?" mindset as well and again, didn't really give him credit for what he done.

It's not been made any easier by some of the things he's come out with over the years as well, but make no mistake though, was a pivotal player in Liverpool's history and one of the best players we've had (that I can remember that is)
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
On a side note, how long did it take for people to realise how special Kenny was? Was it a seamless transition like Suarez making us forget Torres or a slow burner like Beardsley?
Brentie - First time I saw him play for me, which was about four games in! I actually took to Beardo quickly as well. I think players of that ilk have something about them that you immediately see. Another one for me was Paul Walsh. Greatly underrated, injury prone, but a damn good player. This is why I always bring up Ray Kennedy btw! Another truly gifted player.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
He did give us near enough a full season's notice if I remember correctly, to be fair.
He did Terry, if I'm not mistaken the conversation was something like help us win the European Cup then you can leave, So he did and he did.

I think out of respect to Keegan's greatness we shouldn't mention Kenny because he is just simply on a different level altogether.

We had plenty of great players during his era but if any young posters are in doubt, Keegan was Liverpool, he was a true footballing star. He had brilliant technical and creative ability, he was one of the best footballers of his generation and would be high on a Liverpool list of greats.

He won Footballer of the year (twice I think). He was outstanding.

And I got a birthday card from him  ;D , if anyone is good at compressing a pic I'll scan it and email it them for posting

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
This thread always reappears, well the same heading anyway :)

Keegan was flippin brilliant here though, I guess we as fans will always romanticize more about players who feel a very strong bond with the club. Keegan has that with Newcastle... But then again, as great as he was.. Kenny came in and well... nuff said..

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Keegan whilst being replaced by The King (yes my all time favourite player) was still a fantastic player in his own right and deserves to be remembered so.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
No he doesn't, and I think the reason for that is when he left Kenny made sure we didn't miss him.

But that is not a valid reason to me. It was well known that he would leave, yet Keegan played till the very last minute and won us a European Cup that meant as much to
him as to us. What a contrast compared to the modern game.

Another one that deserves more recognition, maybe even more than Keegan, is Steve Nicol.

Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Really bloody ironic to think that Kenny took over Newcastle straight after Keegan too (and equalled his best ever finish and took them to a cup final :))
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad