Author Topic: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse  (Read 84459 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Has Cardinal Law, the guy who was heavily implicated in the Boston sex abuse scandal and who was given sanctuary and a lofty position in Rome by the then Pope been brought to justice yet ?

Since retired but living it up @ Palazzo della Cancelleria in Rome.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Vatican rocked: Police raid drug-fuelled gay orgy at cardinal's apartment

Now, I think anyone should be able to have a drug fuelled gay orgy, if that's what you're into, but not these hypocritical bastards....

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Vatican rocked: Police raid drug-fuelled gay orgy at cardinal's apartment

Now, I think anyone should be able to have a drug fuelled gay orgy, if that's what you're into, but not these hypocritical bastards....

Absolutely agree. As long as they're careful when partaking in chemsex and it's all consensual.

It's a shame police aren't able to arrest the likes of Pell and extradite him. I understand Italy has treaties with Australia, but does Pell just stay within the boundaries of Vatican City, enjoying the protection of sex offenders that the catholic church provides there?
« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 11:52:47 am by Classycara »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse
« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2017, 09:59:51 am »
Catholic Archbishop: ‘I’d Rather Go to Prison Than Report Child Abuse to Police’

One of the highest-ranking officials in the Catholic Church has stated that he would “rather go to prison” than report pedophilia to police.

Australia’s most powerful clergy, Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart, says he’s prepared to be jailed for failing to report child sex abuse by pedophile priests.

He made the shocking statement in response to the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse saying there should be “no excuse, protection nor privilege” for clergy who failed to alert police of abuse.

Hart insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a higher order” than criminal law.

A new report by the commission proposed 85 sweeping changes to the criminal justice system and recommended that priests face criminal charges for failing to report serious crimes such as sexual abuse to the police.

As the law currently stands, clergy are not legally obliged to report crimes to the police and disciplinary proceedings for criminal activity by members of the Catholic Church are handled internally by Canon law, which operates independently of the regular legal procedure.

Following an investigation by the commission, officials believe that the Catholic Church is using “confessional confidentiality” as a cover for not reporting child sex abuse to the authorities.

“We understand the significance of religious confession – in particular, the inviolability of the confessional seal to people of some faiths, particularly the Catholic faith”, said the report. “However, we heard evidence of a number of instances where disclosures of child sexual abuse were made in religious confession, by both victims and perpetrators.”

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2017, 10:06:57 am »

Shocking, though unsurprising I suppose.

It's up there with Royalty having to be obeyed due to their Divine Right...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2017, 10:44:55 am »
Catholic Archbishop: ‘I’d Rather Go to Prison Than Report Child Abuse to Police’

One of the highest-ranking officials in the Catholic Church has stated that he would “rather go to prison” than report pedophilia to police.

Australia’s most powerful clergy, Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart, says he’s prepared to be jailed for failing to report child sex abuse by pedophile priests.

He made the shocking statement in response to the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse saying there should be “no excuse, protection nor privilege” for clergy who failed to alert police of abuse.

Hart insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a higher order” than criminal law.

A new report by the commission proposed 85 sweeping changes to the criminal justice system and recommended that priests face criminal charges for failing to report serious crimes such as sexual abuse to the police.

As the law currently stands, clergy are not legally obliged to report crimes to the police and disciplinary proceedings for criminal activity by members of the Catholic Church are handled internally by Canon law, which operates independently of the regular legal procedure.

Following an investigation by the commission, officials believe that the Catholic Church is using “confessional confidentiality” as a cover for not reporting child sex abuse to the authorities.

“We understand the significance of religious confession – in particular, the inviolability of the confessional seal to people of some faiths, particularly the Catholic faith”, said the report. “However, we heard evidence of a number of instances where disclosures of child sexual abuse were made in religious confession, by both victims and perpetrators.”

Fuckin hell, even by Catholic institution standards that's pretty shocking to see in quotation.

It's about time civilised governments around the world set in motion changes to the law to impose and enforce sensible and vital safeguarding laws on priests. They and other religious leaders are in no way deserving of any good faith.

Confessional confidentiality is not an excuse to condone/allow abuse, and it's not deserving of any exceptionalism or particular recognition within our secular legal system. Big businesses do not change behaviour without changes in laws and regulations, so it's about time governments imposed themselves on these institutions, forcing them to change.

While we're at it, we should really be collecting taxes from these abusive institutions. Nasty addition of insult to injury, allowing them financial benefits while they systematically cause harm to our citizens.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:19 am »
I think for most normal people brought up as Catholics confession is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I went through the whole church every Sunday, altar boy etc. without any particular interest or dislike.

Until my teens I didn't have much to confess but having to go through the whole "Bless me father I have sinned I have been impure in thought, word and deed" made me give up the Holy Ghost.

At the time I never thought that a priest would be confessing a lot worse and carrying on with impunity.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2017, 11:00:05 am »
As shitty as a report that is, the way the argument is framed is pretty misleading in many ways.  I'll leave it to Reddit to say it much better than I could.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/6vnqo9/catholic_archbishop_id_rather_go_to_prison_than/

"The article reports:
What he actually said was:
"Confession in the Catholic Church is a spiritual encounter with God through the priest,"
Which as an excuse for covering up child rape is already bad enough. But I'd rather have honest reporting on these guys than sensationalized quote-mining.

"Note that he never said what the headline claims. He was basically saying that he wouldn’t report on stuff given in catholic confessions."
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2017, 11:47:39 am »
As shitty as a report that is, the way the argument is framed is pretty misleading in many ways.  I'll leave it to Reddit to say it much better than I could.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/6vnqo9/catholic_archbishop_id_rather_go_to_prison_than/

"The article reports:
"Confession in the Catholic Church is a spiritual encounter with God through the priest,"
Which as an excuse for covering up child rape is already bad enough. But I'd rather have honest reporting on these guys than sensationalized quote-mining.

"Note that he never said what the headline claims. He was basically saying that he wouldn’t report on stuff given in catholic confessions."

This article is better

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/15/melbourne-archbishop-says-hed-rather-go-to-jail-than-report-child-abuse-heard-in-confession

Highlight: quotes from bishop father Brennan - who also sounds a right c*nt

Father Frank Brennan, a Jesuit priest and professor of law at the Australian Catholic University, joined Hart in saying he would not adhere to any legislative changes.

“And if there is a law that says that I have to disclose it, then yes, I will conscientiously refuse to comply with the law,’’ Brennan told the Australian.

‘‘All I can say is that in 32 years no one has ever come near me and confessed anything like that. And instituting such a law, I say, simply reduces rather than increases the prospect that anyone ever will come and confess that to me.’’

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »
There's something uniquely vile about someone in a position of such trust, perpetrating these acts. And when you add in the element of religious hypocrisy, it becomes even more heinous.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
I think for most normal people brought up as Catholics confession is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I went through the whole church every Sunday, altar boy etc. without any particular interest or dislike.

Until my teens I didn't have much to confess but having to go through the whole "Bless me father I have sinned I have been impure in thought, word and deed" made me give up the Holy Ghost.

At the time I never thought that a priest would be confessing a lot worse and carrying on with impunity.
Did you ever make stuff up to tell the priest cos you couldn't think of anything bad? My mate 8years old confessed to adultery, cos he had no idea what it was. Still got 4 hail Marys and a Glory Be as penance.
Now we can laugh at that but when you consider the psychology that makes an 8 year old admit to 'sins' that were impossible for him to commit, because he feels guilty about saying 'I'm a good lad', its bloody wrong. Another of my mates was damned to hell for all eternity at 6yrs of age because he missed mass and guessed the wrong colour vestments when asked by the priest on the Monday. A 6 year old, ffs, told he would suffer the fires and tortures of hell because he didn't go to church (and put his coppers on the plate). That's child abuse right there before we get to the other stuff.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2017, 09:08:12 pm »
Did you ever make stuff up to tell the priest cos you couldn't think of anything bad? My mate 8years old confessed to adultery, cos he had no idea what it was. Still got 4 hail Marys and a Glory Be as penance.
Now we can laugh at that but when you consider the psychology that makes an 8 year old admit to 'sins' that were impossible for him to commit, because he feels guilty about saying 'I'm a good lad', its bloody wrong. Another of my mates was damned to hell for all eternity at 6yrs of age because he missed mass and guessed the wrong colour vestments when asked by the priest on the Monday. A 6 year old, ffs, told he would suffer the fires and tortures of hell because he didn't go to church (and put his coppers on the plate). That's child abuse right there before we get to the other stuff.

I didn't make things up as I had a basic mantra of "Bless me father I have sinned: I have fought, sworn and quarreled".

That covers a multitude of sins.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:10 pm »

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 24, 2017, 10:56:26 pm »

"The article reports:

How about religious institutions having to abide by the same laws as the rest of us? None of this "As the law currently stands, clergy are not legally obliged to report crimes to the police and disciplinary proceedings for criminal activity by members of the Catholic Church are handled internally by Canon law, which operates independently of the regular legal procedure." crap.
Prove there's a god, and that it wants special rules for religious institutions and you can have your special laws, until then they should be just like anyone else, same as their tax free bullshit. Boils my fuckin piss.......

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:29 pm »
In Ireland, but nowhere else, as far as a quick google shows, there is such a thing as sacerdotal privilege, which exempts priests from some evidence giving.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/probable-privilege-of-the-confessional-cannot-be-extended-to-scientology-counselling-1.200712

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #255 on: August 25, 2017, 12:43:19 am »
Lock them up!!!

,(Trump is a  c*nt!)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:49:38 am by Golden_Child »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2017, 07:32:05 am »
Did a load of research on this to help with something tangential to Catholic church but related. English judges have disallowed claims of privilege, on public interest grounds, for other religions (eg Jehovah's Witnesses fairly recently) but I think it was back in the 19th century since one tried it with a Catholic priest in a criminal case. Church of England priests also have a slight problem because they would be breaking the law to reveal what was said in a confession so any new law would require a load of the 16th century ones to finally be revised. Some US states don't grant a privilege for failure to report child abuse, which the Jehovah's Witnesses fight ferociously, but others do - and it all turns into a first amendment fight and arguments over what the boundaries are.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:59:23 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2017, 12:00:33 pm »
Catholic sexual abuse partly caused by secrecy and mandatory celibacy, report finds

Mandatory celibacy and a culture of secrecy created by popes and bishops are major factors in why such high rates of child abuse have occurred in the Catholic church, a comprehensive study has found.

The report, which looked at the findings of 26 royal commissions and other inquiries from Australia, Ireland, the UK, Canada and the Netherlands since 1985, found that while the endangerment of children in institutions has been considerably lowered in Australia, children remained at risk in Catholic parishes and schools and Catholic residential institutions in other countries across the world, especially in the developing world where there are more than 9,000 Catholic-run orphanages, including 2,600 in India.

The patriarchal nature of Catholic institutions meant that abuse went unchallenged and, while a small number of nuns were abusers, the report found the risk of offending was much higher in institutions where priests and religious brothers had minimal contact with women. The report estimated about 7% of clergy had abused children between about 1950 and 2000.

“Their contact with women in teacher training institutions would have been carefully proscribed and then they were appointed to male-only schools where they were in charge of young boys and adolescents,” the report said.

“And they were living in all-male religious communities. They had to make do with a sacralised image of a sexless Virgin Mary. It was a recipe for a psycho-spiritual disaster.”

A Catholic priest who assisted the child sexual abuse royal commission, Prof Des Cahill, says discovering he had lived and worked with paedophile priests was part of the reason he has devoted the past five years to analysing why child abuse has plagued the church.

On Wednesday the findings from Cahill and his theologian co-author, Dr Peter Wilkinson, were released in a report, Child Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church: An Interpretive Review of the Literature and Public Inquiry Reports, published by the Centre for Global Research at RMIT University.

Full article

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »

The patriarchal nature of Catholic institutions meant that abuse went unchallenged and, while a small number of nuns were abusers, the report found the risk of offending was much higher in institutions where priests and religious brothers had minimal contact with women. The report estimated about 7% of clergy had abused children between about 1950 and 2000.

Just looked this up, and in 1970 there were around 420,000 priests in 1970 (source: http://cara.georgetown.edu/frequently-requested-church-statistics/ )

So 7 percent is about 29,500 priests abusing children. You'd imagine that's more likely an underestimation than an overestimation too.

Father Ted wasn't too far off with the percentages: "Say there's 200 million priests and 5% of them are paedophiles. That's still only ten million."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2017, 01:41:14 pm »
It seems intuitively right, though. If you stick a stopper in someone's natural urges and add in some guilt, bad things happen.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2017, 09:56:05 pm »
From the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse .

Catholic church with the biggest piece of the pie.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/vatican-should-consider-voluntary-celibacy-to-cut-child-abuse-risk-royal-commission-final-report-20171215-h05e7y.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:42 pm »
Proportional numbers there are something else. Catholics are about 1 in 4 of the Oz population. Jehovah's Witnesses are 1 in 359.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2017, 05:35:16 am »
Seriously?

Pope Francis will attend funeral on Thursday for Cardinal Bernard Law at St. Peter’s Basilica

By John R. Ellement and Christina Prignano GLOBE STAFF  DECEMBER 20, 2017

Pope Francis will participate in the funeral Mass for Cardinal Bernard Law to be held Thursday in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, an action consistent with Francis’ message of forgiveness and in keeping with centuries of church tradition, officials said Wednesday.

The funeral Mass for Law, who died Tuesday at the age of 86, will be celebrated by Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the dean of the College of Cardinals, who will be joined by other cardinals, archbishops, and bishops, according to the Vatican.

In a statement, Francis expressed condolences to the College of Cardinals on Law’s death.

“I raise prayers for the repose of his soul, that the Lord, God who is rich in mercy, may welcome him in His eternal peace, and I send my apostolic blessing to those who share in mourning the passing of the cardinal, whom I entrust to the maternal intercession of the Virgin Mary Salus Populi Romani,” Francis said in the statement.

Francis did not mention the child abuse scandal that will be Law’s best-known legacy.

The service is scheduled to be held at 9:30 a.m. Boston time, according to the Vatican.

Among those not attending will be Law’s successor in Boston, Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley, who recently returned from a week in Rome, according to his spokesman.

“Having just returned from a week of meetings in Rome with the Holy Father and his fellow cardinals, Cardinal Sean will remain in the US,’’ Terry Donilon, O’Malley’s spokesman, told the Globe. “Upon learning of Cardinal Law’s failing health, Cardinal Sean visited him in the hospital before returning to Boston.”

O’Malley, reacting to Law’s death, offered an apology Wednesday to those who were sexually abused by Catholic priests during Law’s tenure.

“I am particularly cognizant of all who experienced the trauma of sexual abuse by clergy, whose lives were so seriously impacted by those crimes, and their families and loved ones,’’ he wrote. “To those men and women, I offer my sincere apologies for the harm they suffered, my continued prayers and my promise that the Archdiocese will support them in their effort to achieve healing.’’

O’Malley, who has drawn both praise and criticism for his response to the sexual abuse crisis he inherited, emphatically laid responsibility on Law and the church leaders of the time for shuttling abusive priests around parishes without alerting the faithful of their past predatory behavior.

“Cardinal Law served at a time when the Church failed seriously in its responsibilities to provide pastoral care for her people, and with tragic outcomes failed to care for the children of our parish communities,’’ O’Malley said. “I deeply regret that reality and its consequences.”

Francis will be present during the service and will only take an active part at the end when what is known as the “final commendation” is performed, said Father James T. Bretzke, a Boston College professor of moral theology.

Bretzke said that is the moment during Catholic funerals where the priest prays as he walks around the casket, swinging a censor loaded with incense. Bretzke said Francis is unlikely to stray from the written liturgy during the service.

In attending Law’s funeral, Bretzke said Pope Francis is not giving any special attention to the former leader of the Boston Archdiocese but instead is acting consistent with centuries of Catholic tradition and in keeping with Francis’ message of “mercy and forgiveness.”

Bretzke said a pope always attends the funeral of a cardinal who dies in Rome.

Bretzke said that a cousin of his fell prey to an abusive priest, and that he has seen his cousin struggle with the fallout of the abuse over the past several years. And he knows that some of the abuse victims will be angry at Francis for attending Law’s funeral.

And, he said, he still believes Francis is making the proper choice, one that he thinks Francis is making even though it will be considered “insensitive” by some.

“He is walking the walk of mercy and forgiveness. . . . At the end of the day, except for the Blessed Virgin and Jesus, all of us are sinners, that’s part of Christian doctrine,” he said. “All of us hopefully go to God with the hope that God will forgive us our sins, and flaws, and mistakes.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/12/20/funeral-for-cardinal-bernard-law-held-thursday-rome/JaUUlpqVOZtkq1SiskE3lO/story.html

Maybe he's just making sure he's dead.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2017, 05:43:33 am »
Proportional numbers there are something else. Catholics are about 1 in 4 of the Oz population. Jehovah's Witnesses are 1 in 359.

That chart doesn't cover non-religious institutions so any proportional number would needs to be adjusted.  For example 1 in 4 of the population might identify as catholic, but that might make up 35%+ of the "religious" Australians.  Obviously that would still leave Catholic institutions at terribly over-porpotion rate too. Abuse at state institutions was also horrifically high.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:46:39 am by leroy »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2017, 07:03:55 am »
That chart doesn't cover non-religious institutions so any proportional number would needs to be adjusted.  For example 1 in 4 of the population might identify as catholic, but that might make up 35%+ of the "religious" Australians.  Obviously that would still leave Catholic institutions at terribly over-porpotion rate too. Abuse at state institutions was also horrifically high.

Was trying to indicate the comparison between religions mate. ie size of church vs relative proportion of alleged offenders. :) Would agree that a pie chart covering only religions will not cover wider society. Absolutely horrific what the Aussie Commission has uncovered. Some of the generalised discussions on the nature of abuse and how it is enabled which have come from it  really is borne out by certain religions. Especially those which silence women and children as a matter of routine.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:47:03 am by Zeb »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2017, 09:24:59 am »
Pope Francis will attend funeral on Thursday for Cardinal Bernard Law at St. Peter’s Basilica

By John R. Ellement and Christina Prignano GLOBE STAFF  DECEMBER 20, 2017

Pope Francis will participate in the funeral Mass for Cardinal Bernard Law to be held Thursday in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, an action consistent with Francis’ message of forgiveness and in keeping with centuries of church tradition, officials said Wednesday.

The funeral Mass for Law, who died Tuesday at the age of 86, will be celebrated by Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the dean of the College of Cardinals, who will be joined by other cardinals, archbishops, and bishops, according to the Vatican.

In a statement, Francis expressed condolences to the College of Cardinals on Law’s death.

“I raise prayers for the repose of his soul, that the Lord, God who is rich in mercy, may welcome him in His eternal peace, and I send my apostolic blessing to those who share in mourning the passing of the cardinal, whom I entrust to the maternal intercession of the Virgin Mary Salus Populi Romani,” Francis said in the statement.

Francis did not mention the child abuse scandal that will be Law’s best-known legacy.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
MALE ESCORT EXPOSES 36 GAY PRIESTS IN FILE SENT TO VATICAN CONTAINING EXPLICIT WHATSAPP CHATS AND EROTIC PHOTOS

A 1,200-page dossier containing the names of 34 ‘actively gay’ priests and six seminarians in Italy has been sent to the Vatican by the archdiocese of Naples.

The allegations were compiled by Francesco Mangiacapra, a gay male escort who told local media he couldn’t put up with the priests’ "hypocrisy" any longer.

"The aim is not to hurt the people mentioned, but to help them understand that their double life, however seemingly convenient, is not useful to them or to all the people for whom they should be a guide and an example to follow,” Mangiacapra said, as reported by the Corriere della Sera.

source

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
MALE ESCORT EXPOSES 36 GAY PRIESTS IN FILE SENT TO VATICAN CONTAINING EXPLICIT WHATSAPP CHATS AND EROTIC PHOTOS

A 1,200-page dossier containing the names of 34 ‘actively gay’ priests and six seminarians in Italy has been sent to the Vatican by the archdiocese of Naples.

The allegations were compiled by Francesco Mangiacapra, a gay male escort who told local media he couldn’t put up with the priests’ "hypocrisy" any longer.

"The aim is not to hurt the people mentioned, but to help them understand that their double life, however seemingly convenient, is not useful to them or to all the people for whom they should be a guide and an example to follow,” Mangiacapra said, as reported by the Corriere della Sera.

source

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7pGcE7IvCTs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7pGcE7IvCTs</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
I'm sure the church will get right on that.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Australian archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses

An Australian court has found a Catholic archbishop guilty of concealing child sexual abuse in the 1970s.

Philip Wilson, now archbishop of Adelaide, becomes the most senior Catholic in the world to be charged and convicted of the offence.

He was found to have covered up the abuse of altar boys by a paedophile priest colleague in New South Wales.

During his trial he denied being told about the abuse by some of the victims.

Wilson will be sentenced in June and faces a maximum two-year jail term.

Last month, Wilson told the Newcastle Local Court he had no knowledge of priest James Fletcher's actions, which took place when he was an assistant priest in Maitland, 130km (80 miles) north of Sydney.

Fletcher was later convicted of nine child sexual abuse charges in 2004, and died in jail in 2006.

One of his victims, former altar boy Peter Creigh, told the court he had described the abuse to Wilson in detail in 1976, five years after it took place.

Magistrate Robert Stone rejected Wilson's claims that he had no memory of the conversation, and said he had found Mr Creigh to be a reliable witness.

The priest knew "what he was hearing was a credible allegation and the accused wanted to protect the Church and its reputation", Magistrate Stone said.

Another victim, who cannot be named, told the court he disclosed the abuse in the confessional box when he was 11 years old.

He said Wilson told him he was telling lies and to recite 10 Hail Mary prayers as punishment.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Two years maximum. Their sentencing limits there need revisiting, to say the least

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Two years maximum. Their sentencing limits there need revisiting, to say the least

He'll probably get a suspended sentence and be shipped off to some luxury monastery in Rome.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Australian archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses

An Australian court has found a Catholic archbishop guilty of concealing child sexual abuse in the 1970s.

Philip Wilson, now archbishop of Adelaide, becomes the most senior Catholic in the world to be charged and convicted of the offence.

He was found to have covered up the abuse of altar boys by a paedophile priest colleague in New South Wales.

During his trial he denied being told about the abuse by some of the victims.

Wilson will be sentenced in June and faces a maximum two-year jail term.

Last month, Wilson told the Newcastle Local Court he had no knowledge of priest James Fletcher's actions, which took place when he was an assistant priest in Maitland, 130km (80 miles) north of Sydney.

Fletcher was later convicted of nine child sexual abuse charges in 2004, and died in jail in 2006.

One of his victims, former altar boy Peter Creigh, told the court he had described the abuse to Wilson in detail in 1976, five years after it took place.

Magistrate Robert Stone rejected Wilson's claims that he had no memory of the conversation, and said he had found Mr Creigh to be a reliable witness.

The priest knew "what he was hearing was a credible allegation and the accused wanted to protect the Church and its reputation", Magistrate Stone said.

Another victim, who cannot be named, told the court he disclosed the abuse in the confessional box when he was 11 years old.

He said Wilson told him he was telling lies and to recite 10 Hail Mary prayers as punishment.

Malcolm Turnbull says pope must sack disgraced Australian archbishop Philip Wilson

Prime minister says Wilson must go after being found guilty of concealing child sexual abuse during the 1970s.

Malcolm Turnbull has called on the pope to step in and sack Philip Wilson, after the Adelaide archbishop said he would not step down until after his appeals process has been exhausted.

The prime minister called on the pope to intervene and force Wilson from his position, after the 67-year-old became the most senior Catholic leader in the world to be found guilty of concealing child sexual abuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jul/19/malcolm-turnbull-pope-sack-disgraced-australian-archbishop-philip-wilson

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44993221

Cardinal McCarrick, prominent US Catholic, resigns over abuse claims

Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of a prominent US cardinal accused of sexually assaulting a teenager nearly 50 years ago.

Theodore McCarrick, 88, a former Archbishop of Washington, must also carry out "penance and prayer" pending a canonical trial, the Vatican said.

Last month US Church officials said the allegations were credible.

Archbishop McCarrick has said he has "no recollection" of the alleged abuse. Further allegations have since emerged.

Archbishop McCarrick was one of the most prominent US cardinals and is one of the most high-profile Catholic leaders to face abuse claims.

In a statement, the Vatican said Pope Francis had accepted Theodore McCarrick's resignation from the cardinalate and had ordered his suspension from the exercise of any public ministry.

The statement also said he would be placed in seclusion "for a life of prayer and penance until the accusations made against him are examined in a regular canonical trial".

His resignation means the titles of Cardinal and "your eminence" are removed, America Magazine editor and Jesuit priest James Martin said on Twitter.

Penance and prayer as a punishment for raping a minor. How can anyone align themselves with this organisation in the face of this sort of shit?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite

....How can anyone align themselves with this organisation in the face of this sort of shit?

I expect probably in the same way that Trump voters somehow reconcile the difference between what they are actually seeing and hearing about him as opposed to what they want to believe. It becomes too difficult for them to accept that really it's all bad so they find other scapegoats or reasons, fake news, Hilary etc. It's a truly wonderful world they have fashioned and conjured up for themselves to perceive and to live in...

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In a statement, the Vatican said Pope Francis had accepted Theodore McCarrick's resignation from the cardinalate and had ordered his suspension from the exercise of any public ministry.

The statement also said he would be placed in seclusion "for a life of prayer and penance until the accusations made against him are examined in a regular canonical trial".

Yeah, sorry, but fuck this shit Pope Francis you odious c*nt. Why not do the world a favour for once and encourage the accusations to be examined in a "regular criminal trial" like most normal defendants.

I'm sure there's nothing "regular" about a canonical trial except the regularity with which senior christians get away with being rapists.

"Penance and prayer"? No ta. How about we move past your vapid appeasement and actually promote justice and the rule of law

• Legacy Fan

Yeah, sorry, but fuck this shit Pope Francis you odious c*nt. Why not do the world a favour for once and encourage the accusations to be examined in a "regular criminal trial" like most normal defendants.

I'm sure there's nothing "regular" about a canonical trial except the regularity with which senior christians get away with being rapists.

"Penance and prayer"? No ta. How about we move past your vapid appeasement and actually promote justice and the rule of law

Why aren't the American authorities dealing with this?

Is it because they persist with ridiculous statutory limits on prosecuting child abuse cases.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan

His resignation means the titles of Cardinal and "your eminence" are removed, America Magazine editor and Jesuit priest James Martin said on Twitter.

He'll more than likely slip into some comfy slippers that the late Cardinal Law vacated at Palazzo della Cancelleria in Rome. Its the Club Med for predatory priests.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Why aren't the American authorities dealing with this?

Is it because they persist with ridiculous statutory limits on prosecuting child abuse cases.

Yup, that is precisely the reason. Absolutely ridiculous. Meanwhile the victim endures a lifetime of suffering and mental scarring.