Author Topic: North and South Korea Vow to End Hostilities in Historic Accord  (Read 80879 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: North Korea massing 50,000 troops on border
« Reply #400 on: April 18, 2018, 02:24:05 am »
The New York Times@nytimes
Breaking News: The CIA director Mike Pompeo is said to have met with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un in recent weeks to set up a meeting with President Trump

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »
North Korea’s Nuclear Test Site Is Largely Unusable, Chinese Scientists Say

Pyongyang’s last blast rendered part of the site unusable and a new test would cause an ‘environmental catastrophe’

BEIJING—A large part of North Korea’s underground nuclear test facility is unusable due to the collapse of a cavity inside the mountain after the latest test-detonation occurred, according to Chinese seismologists involved in a soon-to-be-published study.

The experts, led by researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China, warned that another blast in the same spot and with similar yield to the one on Sept. 3 could cause “environmental catastrophe.”

Another study, led by Chinese seismologists and published this month, also concluded that a secondary tremor shortly after the blast was caused by the cavity’s collapse, but made no judgment on whether the Punggye-ri test site could still be used.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un announced on Saturday that he was suspending nuclear and missile tests and closing the Punggye-ri facility, where all six of his country’s nuclear tests took place. His announcement was welcomed by the U.S., South Korea and China as a positive step in the run-up to an inter-Korean summit on Friday and a planned meeting between Mr. Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump by June.

U.S. officials and North Korea watchers, however, are debating how meaningful Mr. Kim’s moves are. Some see them as major concessions and others, arguing that Punggye-ri is unusable, call them empty gestures designed to gain leverage with Washington and Seoul while remaining determined to retain his nuclear weapons.

Soon after the sixth and largest blast last September, satellite images suggested that one part of the site, a 7,200 foot granite peak called Mount Mantap had diminished in height. Some U.S. and South Korean experts suggested that tunnels inside the mountain—where five of North Korea’s six nuclear tests took place—had collapsed, rendering much of the site useless.

Now, the two Chinese studies give credence to that theory. They both used data from seismic monitoring stations in China and abroad to analyze the initial 6.3-magnitude tremor caused by the blast and another smaller tremor 8˝ minutes later.

Both studies concluded that the second tremor, of 4.1-magnitude, was caused by the collapse of damaged rock above the blast cavity inside the mountain, rather than another explosion or a shift in tectonic plates.

“The occurrence of the collapse should deem the underground infrastructure beneath mountain Mantap not be used for any future nuclear tests,” said an abstract for the study, led by researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China, or USTC.

Past tests caused previously inactive tectonic faults in the area to reach a state of “critical failure,” according to the abstract presented at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in December, which was posted to the group’s website.

The researchers warned that a nuclear test of similar yield to September’s “would produce collapses in an even larger scale creating an environmental catastrophe,” according to the abstract.

Punggye-ri is less than 50 miles from the Chinese border, and Beijing has been ramping up its monitoring for radioactive fallout in recent years, out of concern, analysts have said, that contamination could provoke a public outcry and force the government to harden its approach to Pyongyang.

Chinese officials have said that no contamination has been detected so far in the aftermath of the tests.

Wall St Journal
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2018, 04:56:29 am »
This whole Kim Jong media blitz is doing my head in. Manipulative fuck

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #403 on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:43 am »

:o

Kim Jong Un crossed over to the southern side of the DMZ. The first time a NK leader has stepped into the area since 1953.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #404 on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:02 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DXy3S2WkyoE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DXy3S2WkyoE</a>

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #405 on: April 27, 2018, 10:44:01 am »
North and South Korea agree to end Korean War in historic accord.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/27/asia/korean-summit-intl/index.html?sr=twCNN042718korean-summit-intl1008AMVODtop

History in the making.

Hopefully.

(change the topic maybe)
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: April 27, 2018, 10:56:25 am »
First time since the war ended in the 50's that North Korea's leader step on South Korean soil. Un is obviously still a murderous dictator.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:59:45 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #407 on: April 27, 2018, 11:04:26 am »
....History in the making.

It could well be, and its about time even though it's early days and there may well be stumbles along the way.

Nevertheless, these first yet seemingly bold steps in rapprochement are to be welcomed and encouraged.

I just hope Kim is being sincere.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
Re: North and South Korea Vow to End Hostilities in Historic Accord
« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »
It could well be, and its about time even though it's early days and there may well be stumbles along the way.

Nevertheless, these first yet seemingly bold steps in rapprochement are to be welcomed and encouraged.

I just hope Kim is being sincere.

Every single part of this saga is on Kim. Why has he gone from antagonising the world to proclaiming himself as a protagonist of peace seemingly overnight?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #409 on: April 27, 2018, 12:30:20 pm »
Every single part of this saga is on Kim. Why has he gone from antagonising the world to proclaiming himself as a protagonist of peace seemingly overnight?

I imagine because for all the bluster about his weaponary (ooo errr), it’s no doubt no where near as impressive as he’s made out and not close to being so. With money dwindling, and pressure from all sides to sort it the fuck out, it may be a case of him now seeing this as the best solution to move forward and actually have some chance of a long and happy life as a leader.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2018, 12:32:10 pm »

Right.. Seeing the news today I was wondering if I had missed something, surely something has provoked this although I have no idea what it is. Obviously good to see though and I hope it's all sincere

gqP6w

« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »
Right.. Seeing the news today I was wondering if I had missed something, surely something has provoked this although I have no idea what it is. Obviously good to see though and I hope it's all sincere
It's been all the normal stuff, prodding the US. I wonder if it realisation that the US president is unstable enough to actually do something stupid rather than engage in the normal war or words?

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:02 pm »

Perhaps China told him that he must act now, as China don't want the potential of seeing U.S. troops at their borders. Perhaps they stated an ultimatum on them, do something now or we cut ties which would leave their economy totally in the dump.

It's been all the normal stuff, prodding the US. I wonder if it realisation that the US president is unstable enough to actually do something stupid rather than engage in the normal war or words?

Precisely, since China knows that this guy is totally unhinged and unpredictable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:40:29 pm by telekon »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #413 on: April 27, 2018, 12:49:41 pm »
Would the collapse of the North Korean nuclear missile sight also have swayed his thinking, maybe reminded him that they aren't as advanced as they like to think
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: April 27, 2018, 12:52:09 pm »
They don't have to do any more tests to remain a nuclear power. They don't need to denuclearise the state to get peace and open trade barriers. This move greatly favours n.korea politically and economically. It also favours Russia politically and economically so I'm sure they're one of the puppeteers behind this.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »
They have said that they'll both look to denuclearise. Along with....

An end to "hostile activities" between the two nations

Changing the demilitarised zone (DMZ) that divides the country into a "peace zone" by ceasing propaganda broadcasts

An arms reduction in the region pending the easing of military tension

To push for four-way talks involving the US and China

Organising a reunion of families left divided by the war

Connecting and modernising railways and roads across the border

Further joint participation in sporting events, including this year's Asian Games

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2018, 01:11:41 pm »
quite extraordinary no matter what the background/circumstances
bollocks

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:11 pm »
Regardless of who it favours, this is at least better than where we were last year.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #418 on: April 27, 2018, 01:18:56 pm »
Same shit was agreed to in 1991.  Was never signed by SK.
Kill the humourless

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: April 27, 2018, 01:40:20 pm »
Fair play rocket man

Guess I can stop selling those nuclear fallout shelters

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: April 27, 2018, 01:41:20 pm »
Fair play rocket man

Nah. There is Iran that will be next.

Plus, Russia innit.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #421 on: April 27, 2018, 01:46:59 pm »
VR game rooms
Kill the humourless

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: April 27, 2018, 03:01:52 pm »
Kim Jong Un has played a blinder, gone from an International pariah to respected statesman just be lobbing a few rockets into the sea.

He'll probably get the nobel peace prize next.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2018, 03:02:34 pm »
Trump taking all the credit yes?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:25 pm »
Trump taking all the credit yes?
Nope - Lord Harold of Tottenham, Saviour of England FC did though.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:10 pm »
Well, I thought they looked lovely as they stepped over the line into S Korea hand in hand, all smiles like bezzy mates    :lickin

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2018, 05:20:09 pm »
Maybe he's realised his people are hungry, sick and increasingly desperate? Frenzied factionalism doesn't put rice in the bowl.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
It was an impressive sight seeing the 12 bodyguards run alongside his limo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8y8ndgk9DU

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2018, 06:09:20 pm »
I'm more inclined to believe that he had a conversation with China on his visit, told that A: there's no point to further testing, especially now the mountain has been buggered and B: It's now causing China a headache.  If there's no point in continuing testing then what's the point in continuing to threaten everyone.  I'm more inclined to believe that he's achieved his objectives, made his point and thinks he's now taken seriously.

That, or it's all smoke and mirrors and next year normal service will be resumed.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: April 27, 2018, 07:45:09 pm »

Lolololol
bollocks

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 27, 2018, 08:09:35 pm »
Nope - Lord Harold of Tottenham, Saviour of England FC did though.
;D

Fair play to all concerned though. Hopefully this actually all works out.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:24 pm »
Hopefully this actually all works out.
Of course it will.

2 years time I'm going there for my holidays. 

There will be a Starbucks and a Burger King on every corner.    :)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:42 pm »
Trying not to be cynical but I can't help but think how happy Trump would be to pull US soldiers out of SK and proclaim a great victory for the American people.

Of course, what happens after that should NK decide to get frisky again is anybody's guess.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 2, 2018, 03:07:35 pm »
South Korea says US troops will stay despite possible peace treaty

South Korea's government has said US troops will remain in the country, even if a deal is reached to formally end the Korean War.

About 29,000 US soldiers are based in South Korea, under a security agreement reached after the war ended in 1953.

North Korea has previously made giving up its nuclear weapons conditional on the troops leaving the peninsula.

But a South Korean government spokesman said their presence was "nothing to do with signing peace treaties".

"US troops stationed in South Korea are an issue regarding the alliance between South Korea and the United States," said Kim Eui-kyeom, speaking for President Moon Jae-in.

The adviser's comment came in response to a newspaper column, written by an adviser to Mr Moon, which said it would be difficult to justify a continuing US troop presence if a peace treaty were to be signed.

While North Korea has been vocally opposed to the US troops in the past - and has been angered by joint US-Korean military drills - there was no explicit mention of them in the Panmunjom Declaration reached at the end of the summit.

White House chief of staff John Kelly this week fiercely denied comments from unnamed White House officials that Mr Trump had wanted to withdraw the entire deployment ahead of the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43971847
« Last Edit: May 2, 2018, 03:09:23 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: May 6, 2018, 12:20:40 pm »
US 'provocation' threatens peace, says North Korea

North Korea has warned the US about using "pressure and military threats" against it as the two countries prepare for a historic summit.

A Foreign Ministry official said the US was deliberately provoking the North by suggesting sanctions will not be lifted until it gives up nuclear weapons.

The North Korean official, quoted by state news agency KCNA, said that Washington was "misleading public opinion" by saying the denuclearisation pledge resulted from sanctions and other pressure.

The US was also aggravating the current good atmosphere by deploying military assets on the Korean peninsula, they added.

"The US is deliberately provoking [North Korea] at the time when the situation on the Korean peninsula is moving toward peace and reconciliation thanks to the historic north-south summit and the Panmunjom Declaration," the statement said.

"This act cannot be construed otherwise than a dangerous attempt to ruin the hard-won atmosphere of dialogue and bring the situation back to square one.

"It would not be conducive to addressing the issue if the US miscalculates the peace-loving intention of [North Korea] as a sign of 'weakness' and continues to pursue its pressure and military threats against the latter."

Mr Trump has said he will maintain sanctions and other pressure on the North and suggested that his tough stance has helped facilitate reconciliation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44021305

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: May 6, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »
US 'provocation' threatens peace, says North Korea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44021305

Will that be their gameplan?  Cancel the peace accord, citing American aggression?  Sounds like a ploy to try and intimidate America Trump into backing down so they don't lose a good news story.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: May 6, 2018, 01:56:42 pm »

Ffs, that's fantastic ;D
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:11 pm »
N Korea cancels talks with South Korea and warns US

North Korea has cancelled high-level talks with South Korea because of anger over military exercises, state media reports.

The North's official KCNA news agency said the exercises between the US and the South were a "provocation".

It also warned the US over the fate of the historic summit between Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump that is scheduled for 12 June.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44133308
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:28:23 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 15, 2018, 08:34:43 pm »
Drumpf the deal maker,gave Kim everything the North had been after for decades without really getting anything in return.

Why the fuck would they run these drills at this time ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:09 pm »
Drumpf the deal maker,gave Kim everything the North had been after for decades without really getting anything in return.

Why the fuck would they run these drills at this time ?

They were delayed as they were due to take place during the Winter Olympics.

South Korea should be having a massive say in this however. They have the power to delay these drills but have chosen not to.