Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1016575 times)

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #11360 on: July 4, 2017, 11:44:51 am »
I'm kind of similar. The last bender I went on was on a Thursday

Took 500 quid out of the ATM, turned my phone off, and just went at it full on

Arrived home on the Sunday morning, in the same clothes, with an inch of stubble, and eyes that looked like piss holes in snow

I remember the taxi fair home was 18 quid. I was down to my last 20 at that point.

By the time I tipped the cabby that was it, the whole 500 was blown. Fucking tortured myself for days after it

Been there fella. The guilt after is terrible. I also eat fuck all during a drinking marathon so resemble a fucking refugee after. I then can't sleep properly for about a week until my body adjusts back to normal. Everyone always asks if I'm ok. I can't go anywhere for a few weeks cos I'm skint.

Utter madness.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #11361 on: July 4, 2017, 11:51:31 am »
I'm kind of similar. The last bender I went on was on a Thursday

Took 500 quid out of the ATM, turned my phone off, and just went at it full on

Arrived home on the Sunday morning, in the same clothes, with an inch of stubble, and eyes that looked like piss holes in snow

I remember the taxi fair home was 18 quid. I was down to my last 20 at that point.

By the time I tipped the cabby that was it, the whole 500 was blown. Fucking tortured myself for days after it

Might not be an appropriate sentiment for this thread but that sounds like a fantastic weekend  ;D
Legacy fan

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #11362 on: July 4, 2017, 12:16:02 pm »
It does sound great, if thats what you wanted. Needed?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11363 on: July 4, 2017, 12:29:19 pm »
Done 6 months extended break off it since stopping on the 2nd January. I knocked it on the head to focus all of my efforts (and therefore also all of my income) on bettering myself. Paid my overdraft off, got my first car sorted and had £3,500 saved before I made it to 30 as I was worried I would make it to 30 and still just be a bum working in bars who spent all of his disposable income getting drunk and not moving forwards positively.

Not sure when/if I want to have a drink again but continuing it for now and continuing to save money up instead. The football tickets/travel savings account is also looking nice as is the house/savings one as me and the mother of my child (and one on the way) are looking to give it a go so we need stuff for her flat when she gets one. Been saving diligently for that. I've got a third 'long term savings' account which the bulk of my money goes in. It's been nice having the three accounts to put money in and working to a strict budget.

Importantly, I'm out of the routine I had of working in bars and being in a situation where I don't have to be up till 12/1pm to go back to work in bars which is so conducive to drinking every day at the end of (or during) a shift and at points regularly to excess because there is nothing to wake up the next morning other than to roll back into work at 1pm to pull pints for so 'Why the fuck not?'. Such a shit mentality I had.

Remains to be seen if I can get back to a relationship with alcohol that I had when I was younger- I'm hoping working so much will help as I won't want to drink with work in the morning- but possibly in the future when I'm ready I may allow myself a couple of beers at weddings or a few before European nights at Anfield if it's not my turn to drive. For now though the break will continue. I was thinking about having a couple of bottles of beer when me and the girlfriend finally move in- as it could be 8/9 months by then.

My brother has had a worse relationship with alcohol than I ever did (I would drink a lot of pints in one sitting, whereas he smashes through spirits in very quick time) so I'm utilising all the energy/self esteem boost I have from stopping for a while myself, getting and holding a new job and saving money to try and inspire him to do the same, he's drifting through life a bit like I was- I think he's seeing the light. He's hopefully getting a moped this week and hopefully that self esteem boost from moving in the right direction inspires hm to keep going.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2017, 12:37:19 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11364 on: July 4, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »
I drink way too much myself, and a typical weekend might mean me drinking from Friday evening to early Saturday morning, then anytime after early afternoon on Saturday to early Sunday morning and then for much of Sunday afternoon and evening. Usually I drink cider, but have drunk other drinks. I might also drink on other days, but usually I drink at least one or two days a week. All this is being done at home as well, so you can imagine how full my recycling boxes are after two weeks.

The effects are that I have a flabby stomach that is hard to get rid of, as well as excess weight in general. I also have dry eyes and skin that I am sure are partly due to alcohol. I also sleep poorly and often am half-asleep at work, usually well into the day as well.

Like others, I'm not the kind of person who can just have a few drinks and then stop, I like to get drunk and I hate not having enough drinks available. Sometimes that means a 12 pack of Strongbow even if I already have a few cans in the fridge, just to make sure that I have enough. Then I inevitably leave some for the day after, but then I "have" to buy more to make sure I have enough.

I never regularly drank until I was 22, and even then for years it was maybe a couple of drinks whilst watching Liverpool or at a pub quiz on Saturdays. Eventually my large intake of diet coke (I could get through fifteen cans in a weekend) was replaced by a large intake of alcohol. The thing is, I generally don't like sugary foods and can only eat small amounts of sugary stuff at a time, but I can drink alcoholic sugar water for hours at a time.

Eventually, I would like to be able to have a couple of drinks every so often and not need to drink any more regularly than that. I would love to have a long, healthy life but that won't happen if I keep drinking at the levels I'm drinking at - I'm already starting to get bad hangovers which never happened when I was younger.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11365 on: July 4, 2017, 02:04:33 pm »
Now im a hypocrite here , but what are you guys willing to do?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #11366 on: July 4, 2017, 03:55:01 pm »

I know why I drink like I do and I think that'll help. Doing things in moderation is difficult for me, so I'm realizing that unless I can learn to exercise self-control then abstaining from such activities is the best way forward. I don't feel compelled to drink, I can and do say no but at other times the desire is there to just get fucking hammered. I like to forget about things in my life and drinking does that for me. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs and never have and they never appeal to me, I get wary taking anything stronger than Paracetamol. But for some reason getting completely smashed every couple of weeks seems to be cathartic for me (well it seems it at the time, the next day I wonder what the hell I done it for).

I've noticed my greed when it comes to drinking. Often I finish my pint when my mates are barely halfway through theirs. I don't set out to finish as quickly as I can, I don't even realise it, but I drink pretty quickly. That doesn't help. If I'm going to drink then I need to learn not only to pace myself, but to enjoy it for what it is. I have no desire to drink over the next few weeks at least, and getting back into better physical shape will give me something else to focus on as I'm about a stone overweight as it is. I really believe these hangovers lately have knocked something into me to really evaluate what I'm doing when I drink like I do and I hope I can take lessons and change/adapt appropriately.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11367 on: July 4, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »

One thing I'm going to do is buy more from the shop at once, because right now I'm going pretty much every day or two. Less room in my fridge for drinks and less chances to get them. I'm also going to try and keep a food diary again, if I can do that consistently it'll give me an incentive to not drink.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11368 on: July 4, 2017, 09:07:33 pm »
I drank a couple of months ago after a year or so off it. Same old story. Out to dinner with a few mates and made the stupid mistake of having a glass of wine. The rest is as expected. Didn't beat myself up too much though. Just reminded myself that I literally cannot be in the company of people who are drinking. Fortunately my wife has zero interest in ever drinking again either so I'll be alright. Most annoying part was resetting my days without drinking back to zero as was quite proud of going a year or whatever without.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11369 on: July 4, 2017, 09:18:05 pm »
I drank a couple of months ago after a year or so off it. Same old story. Out to dinner with a few mates and made the stupid mistake of having a glass of wine. The rest is as expected. Didn't beat myself up too much though. Just reminded myself that I literally cannot be in the company of people who are drinking. Fortunately my wife has zero interest in ever drinking again either so I'll be alright. Most annoying part was resetting my days without drinking back to zero as was quite proud of going a year or whatever without.
Not being a drinker myself, I look at where you say no regrets...

Seems very important that.  Beating yourself up seems to be a vicious cycle that leads to further drinking..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11370 on: July 4, 2017, 10:50:48 pm »
Just reminded myself that I literally cannot be in the company of people who are drinking.

I genuinely believe that if you want to kick drinking for good then you have to give your drinking buddies the boot too

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11371 on: July 4, 2017, 10:51:27 pm »
I genuinely believe that if you want to kick drinking for good then you have to give your drinking buddies the boot too

IN ONE !!

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11372 on: July 5, 2017, 06:38:43 am »
Very true Billy.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11373 on: July 5, 2017, 09:34:01 am »
I watched a couple of documentaries about alcoholism yesterday. I had no idea that hardcore alcoholics can die if they go cold turkey because their bodies have become dependent on alcohol to function. That is mental and completely blew my mind. Shows you what a viscous and powerful drug it is.

I think that's what happened to Amy Winehouse. She stopped drinking suddenly and her body couldn't handle the withdrawal

I also don't believe that recovering alcoholics should use the terms "cold turkey" or "on the wagon"

You're just setting yourself up for eventual failure if you do that
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11374 on: July 7, 2017, 01:27:09 pm »
Sometimes a quick kick up the arse is needed...

Yeah sometimes to fucking much.....like you....I could easily come slap u...as u don't realise what you have around you and its horrible to see you do the things u doing to yourself....I always looked up to you wen I was little and doubt u remember but u used to teach me to play pool,darts wen u was in pub with ya dad.....and now I see this man who is so lost and killing himself that upsets me....anyway ya old c*nt....stop ya drinking

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #11375 on: July 7, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
I know why I drink like I do and I think that'll help. Doing things in moderation is difficult for me, so I'm realizing that unless I can learn to exercise self-control then abstaining from such activities is the best way forward. I don't feel compelled to drink, I can and do say no but at other times the desire is there to just get fucking hammered. I like to forget about things in my life and drinking does that for me. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs and never have and they never appeal to me, I get wary taking anything stronger than Paracetamol. But for some reason getting completely smashed every couple of weeks seems to be cathartic for me (well it seems it at the time, the next day I wonder what the hell I done it for).

I've noticed my greed when it comes to drinking. Often I finish my pint when my mates are barely halfway through theirs. I don't set out to finish as quickly as I can, I don't even realise it, but I drink pretty quickly. That doesn't help. If I'm going to drink then I need to learn not only to pace myself, but to enjoy it for what it is. I have no desire to drink over the next few weeks at least, and getting back into better physical shape will give me something else to focus on as I'm about a stone overweight as it is. I really believe these hangovers lately have knocked something into me to really evaluate what I'm doing when I drink like I do and I hope I can take lessons and change/adapt appropriately.

I'm the last person to give advice but a few of the things you say ring true for me. The one thing I have found with myself is that it is about changing my attitude to drink. I have tried to make a positive change the past couple of weeks and have found it to be working. One thing I would suggest that has worked for me (so far!!) is about getting rid of the idea of 'i'm going to knock it on the head for a few weeks' (unless you plan to give up completely of course) because what happens with me is that I go 3 or 4 days without and then I think 'oh go on then i'll have a few' and I end up drinking 6 or 7 (I drink to relax cos life is stressful as fuck not to get drunk!). The breakthrough (again, so far!) for me is to try and change my mindset so that it is ok to have a beer 2 or 3 times a week but to be more sensible about it.

So yesterday, for example, I worked from home in the day and did about 2 hours of weights and exercises over the course of the day. It was my turn to cook yesterday so I had 2 beers while I was cooking, ate my dinner, watched tv, went to bed and woke up at 5.45 to go swimming before work. So the main thing for me was, I still had the couple of beers and enjoyed them, felt relaxed but it has not ruined today for me by making me feel like shit or like I need a hair of the dog or any of that stuff. For me, the worst thing about the heavy drinking is how it just ruins your will to make the most of yourself and get the most out of the day and i've had so many days where i've just sat at work waiting for the day to end. Not because I am horrifically hungover but more like that feeling where you just feel lethargic and weary cos you have had one too many.
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11376 on: July 9, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »

100%

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11377 on: July 9, 2017, 10:29:19 pm »
I'm the last person to give advice but a few of the things you say ring true for me. The one thing I have found with myself is that it is about changing my attitude to drink. I have tried to make a positive change the past couple of weeks and have found it to be working. One thing I would suggest that has worked for me (so far!!) is about getting rid of the idea of 'i'm going to knock it on the head for a few weeks' (unless you plan to give up completely of course) because what happens with me is that I go 3 or 4 days without and then I think 'oh go on then i'll have a few' and I end up drinking 6 or 7 (I drink to relax cos life is stressful as fuck not to get drunk!). The breakthrough (again, so far!) for me is to try and change my mindset so that it is ok to have a beer 2 or 3 times a week but to be more sensible about it.

So yesterday, for example, I worked from home in the day and did about 2 hours of weights and exercises over the course of the day. It was my turn to cook yesterday so I had 2 beers while I was cooking, ate my dinner, watched tv, went to bed and woke up at 5.45 to go swimming before work. So the main thing for me was, I still had the couple of beers and enjoyed them, felt relaxed but it has not ruined today for me by making me feel like shit or like I need a hair of the dog or any of that stuff. For me, the worst thing about the heavy drinking is how it just ruins your will to make the most of yourself and get the most out of the day and i've had so many days where i've just sat at work waiting for the day to end. Not because I am horrifically hungover but more like that feeling where you just feel lethargic and weary cos you have had one too many.

The generally accepted mindset is to just get through today.

Once you made it through today and you make it to morning and you feel good, then you just try to get through the next day.

If your serious about it, then I think this pretty much the best way. Don't set arbitrary pointless dates or time durations.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11378 on: July 10, 2017, 11:02:50 pm »
The generally accepted mindset is to just get through today.

Once you made it through today and you make it to morning and you feel good, then you just try to get through the next day.

If your serious about it, then I think this pretty much the best way. Don't set arbitrary pointless dates or time durations.

I agree with this

As I mentioned in a previous post, if you view sobriety as going "cold turkey" or going "on the wagon" then its only a matter of time before your willpower will break. Willpower will never keep you sober. Anymore than it will help a smoker to quit ciggies or a junky to kick smack

Willpower is a conscious faculty. It resides in the forefront of the mind.

Addiction on the other hand lies way deeper. It's rooted subconsciously. Hence why alcoholics who have major breakouts say things like "I don't know what came over me". Or why gambling addicts who gamble away their homes, wreck their marriages and lose their families say things like "I don't know what I was thinking".   

I'm not anti AA or GA, or any of the other anonymous based fellowships that deal with addiction. They've worked wonders for a lot of people for almost a hundred years now. But if someone asked me what steps to take when it comes to dealing with addiction then I'd recommend very few of the AA steps. I'd be more inclined to recommend understanding addiction from a psychological stand point. As opposed to attempting to using "higher powers", or any such variants. Just my 2 cents like   

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11379 on: July 13, 2017, 06:59:08 am »
Just wanted to ask, did anyone who stopped/reduced drinking experience shakes/sweats? What was this like?

Would be happy to correspond by PM...

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11380 on: July 13, 2017, 09:19:05 am »
Just wanted to ask, did anyone who stopped/reduced drinking experience shakes/sweats? What was this like?

Would be happy to correspond by PM...

I've never gotten the shakes from it oddly enough

But yeah, I used to get the sweats something awful

They usually corresponded with having some mad dreams.

I mean proper mad shit where you wake up completely head fucked

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11381 on: July 13, 2017, 09:20:47 am »
Ive had sweats, shakes , fits . The dreams are another .

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11382 on: July 13, 2017, 09:45:17 am »
I've never gotten the shakes from it oddly enough

But yeah, I used to get the sweats something awful

They usually corresponded with having some mad dreams.

I mean proper mad shit where you wake up completely head fucked

How long did the sweats go on for once you'd stopped, and how did you deal with it/fix it?

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11383 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:35 am »
Ive had sweats, shakes , fits . The dreams are another .

Shakes...   what was that like? How did you deal with them and sort?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11384 on: July 13, 2017, 09:53:54 am »
Drink. Unless you can get Librium. Vicious circle im afraid. Bloody horrible. Not as bad as fitting but still a shitbag situation.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11385 on: July 13, 2017, 06:51:51 pm »
Shakes...   what was that like? How did you deal with them and sort?

Depends if your alcohol dependant.

If you are see your GP. They can organise you a home detox on Librium or an equivelant. That takes two weeks.

I did one about 10 years ago. It was considered too dangerous for me to stop cold turkey given the potential for fits, choking on vomit and other horrendous things.

By dependant I don't mean an urge. If you can't go a day without seriously tremoring and dry heaving/vomiting then you should do it ASAP. It's a dangerous situation.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11386 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »
How long did the sweats go on for once you'd stopped, and how did you deal with it/fix it?

Not long. A couple of days is all

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11387 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:43 am »
Not long. A couple of days is all

Jeez I've had it for weeks now!

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11388 on: July 14, 2017, 07:12:52 am »
Thats strange mate. Have you seen a doctor?

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11389 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »
Thats strange mate. Have you seen a doctor?

Naw I'll give it more time Karl. Fucking horrible every night though.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11390 on: July 14, 2017, 04:32:03 pm »
Mate, if its weeks, time is something you are lacking my good man.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11391 on: July 14, 2017, 08:02:37 pm »
Mate, if its weeks, time is something you are lacking my good man.

But I have no other problems at all, just these night sweats.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11392 on: July 14, 2017, 08:35:53 pm »
But I have no other problems at all, just these night sweats.

Alcohol abuse can cause night sweats, but the can also be a sign of an underlying condition. The NHS website says to see your doctor if you suffer from them.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11393 on: July 15, 2017, 02:05:46 pm »
Yeah, I'd advise you to go see a doctor too

As far as I know, alcohol induced sweating usually stops once the body purges it out of its system

That usually takes 2 to 3 days. If you're still sweating by day 4 or more then it might not be alcohol related

As others have suggested, go see a doctor to be on the safe side mate

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11394 on: July 16, 2017, 02:54:20 am »
I lind of scared myslef earlier.
I done the BBC thing the other week about how much a pesron drinks.
Myself and y lunchtime drinking buddy got Belaurs, with well over 100% the UK average. Earlier tonight I counted how much I've drank this week.
Monday we had 9 pints (Left work earky at 5 and had another 6 after our lunchtime pints). 3 pints a day afther that. 15 cans last night, 15 cans tonight, + whatveere amount of cans I had on monday night. 6.11 in the am now and I don't want to go to bed  :(

18 months later, not a lot has changed. Still having around 15-20 pints a week during work hours. More if we leave work early. That's only Monday to Friday. Occasionally I'll go to a friends house after work midweek and continue the drinking. Maybe twice a week on a good week. Add in what I drink every other weekend, that's a lot of drink. When my lad isn't with me, I'd sink about 20 pints over the weekend. 30 pints a week on average can't be good can it?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11395 on: July 16, 2017, 07:51:02 am »
Depends on your perception of ' good ' What do you think? Its not healthy , that much i do know.

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11396 on: July 16, 2017, 10:19:30 am »
18 months later, not a lot has changed. Still having around 15-20 pints a week during work hours. More if we leave work early. That's only Monday to Friday. Occasionally I'll go to a friends house after work midweek and continue the drinking. Maybe twice a week on a good week. Add in what I drink every other weekend, that's a lot of drink. When my lad isn't with me, I'd sink about 20 pints over the weekend. 30 pints a week on average can't be good can it?

Sounds like 30 pints a week is a conservative estimate Barney.  Reads more like 40+ to me.  A pint has about 2.5 units, so 40 would be 100 units, around 14 a day. Thats about 7 times guidelines.
Definitely not healthy, and equates to what I was drinking..  I had from 1-1.5 bottles of red daily, also about 10-15 units.
You're still pretty young, might be time to cut back. Would do you a lot of good to avoid the beer for maybe 2 days in the week, and keep yourself limited to 2-3 pints rather than 3-4.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11397 on: July 16, 2017, 11:57:30 am »
Still having around 15-20 pints a week during work hours.

Coming from someone who is pretty much teetotal, this sounds absolutely insane to me. During work hours? 15-20 pints? So your company is paying you to work, and you're consuming enough ale on your breaks that someone without your tolerance would probably be a bit too pissed to actually do any work.

I mean fair play if you can sustain it, but it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11398 on: July 16, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »
Sounds like 30 pints a week is a conservative estimate Barney.  Reads more like 40+ to me.  A pint has about 2.5 units, so 40 would be 100 units, around 14 a day. Thats about 7 times guidelines.
Definitely not healthy, and equates to what I was drinking..  I had from 1-1.5 bottles of red daily, also about 10-15 units.
You're still pretty young, might be time to cut back. Would do you a lot of good to avoid the beer for maybe 2 days in the week, and keep yourself limited to 2-3 pints rather than 3-4.

When I was 20/21 I spent 13 months working in a hotel, had Monday and Wednesday off.  Access to loads of free ale and food while at work and then spent the days off in the pub. I was drinking 50 - 70 pints a week, put 6 stone on in a matter of months. It was stupid, we'd drink bottles of beer at breakfast, go the pub at dinner in the 6 hours we had off (split shifts) then swap food for beer with the bar staff and then in the pub after work. The head chef was a full on alcoholic, he could barely function some nights. Thankfully I left that job for a driving job and knocked the drink on the head - I'd go out with my mates Saturday night and that was it.  I needed to do it, the drink would have wrecked me eventually.

To Barney,  mate you really need to cut right back before it messes you up.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11399 on: July 16, 2017, 05:27:45 pm »

My cousin is pretty similar. He likes to sink a few pints during his lunch hour too. When he finishes work he goes back for more. He's not a hard person to track down. If he's not at work then he's either in the pub or he's in the offy buying cans. I've tried talking to him a few times about it but he fobs it off. He says he just enjoys the "odd 1 or 2" in the evenings to unwind.

That's the scary thing about denial. You can trick yourself into believing that you're not an alcoholic even though your lifestyle is completely consumed by it. My cousin is the same age as me. He's mid 30's. Has his own alarm business. Has his own gaff. Has a bird on the go. Dresses well on the weekends. On the surface you could say he's got his shit together. He'll tell you as much himself

But when you look at it objectively then you don't need to be Dr. Phil to recognize that in truth, he's actually got a serious problem. As I say, denial can be an absolute motherfucker. It's the denial that will fuck you up in the long run. Let me show you what I mean. (Bear in mind that what I'm about to say here is something I've said to him hundreds of times)

He works 50 hours a week to earn £X number of quid. That's what he has to show for his toil and labour. He then takes £X and spends approximately half of it on alcohol. By the time you add up the lunch time pints, the evening pints, the weekend pints, and the trips to the offy then the pay check is cut in half. The publican and the offy owner get that money, not him. And that's not every now and then. That's every week. So from a financial standpoint alone, the warning signs are already there to see

Now lets look at it from the point of view of time. A 1 hour visit at lunch time and approximately a 4 hour visit in the evening. That's Monday to Thursday. Friday Saturday and Sunday the visiting hours go up to about 8 hours. When you add it all up it works out at approximately 40 hours per week. That's how much of his time he spends pissing away half the money he earns from his 50 hour work week.

He doesn't play football anymore. He had to "retire" from that because he "couldn't find the time" to come training. He doesn't have a gym membership and isn't really much of an outdoors type of person - unless it involves a beer garden and a pint. So when you tot it all up about 90% of his recreational time goes on giving the publican and the offy owner half of his pay check. That where his time goes

I've invited him to New York a few times. Also asked him to come to Anfield with me on my last trip. Said he couldn't come because he couldn't afford it. He can afford to give the publican TENS OF THOUSANDS per year but a few hundred quid to go abroad for a few days is a no no. I'd bet my bottom dollar that he's in his local right at this minute having "1 or 2" to watch the Leinster final. As I say, on the surface there's nothing to bat an eyelid at, but when you cut the shit and look at it objectively then it's pretty evident that it's a lot more serious than he's willing to admit

As I say, denial is an absolute motherfucker. I'm not suggesting you're anything like my cousin by the way. I'm simply using him as an example to highlight how cunning denial can be. But out of curiosity, would I be correct in saying that if you quit drinking for 6 months then you could easily afford to take your kids anywhere in the world they wanted to go and stay for a week? If you did it for 12 months would I be correct in saying there'd be an extra few grand in your account?

Or how about this: lets say I slapped 8 grand down in front of you in a big fuck-off stack of £50 notes and said "this is all yours if you promise to quit drinking for 365 days", would you make the deal? Would you take the money or would you tell me to go fuck myself? Be honest now. Lets say I picked the stack up and spread it all over the table. 160 crispy £50 notes with her majesties face on them. All of them yours to keep if you just promise to fuck the drink off for 12 months. Imagine your kid saying "holy fucking shit dad, we could fuck off to Disney land Florida for a month with that".   

Would you deal? :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:30:14 pm by Billy The Kid »