Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1016474 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #11280 on: January 5, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »
Get on this. A lad joined the gym I go to at the end of October. He's only 10 weeks sober and has torched off 3 stone in weight already

I was chatting to him earlier. I noticed he had slimmed down a lot so I asked him if he's on some sort of crazy weight loss diet

He said no. All he did was fuck the liquor off. Said he still eats like a pig and still enjoys the odd take away on weekends

He puts in a good 3 to 4 hours per week in the gym mind, but fuck me, 3 stone in 10 weeks is some going in fairness

I'm about 3 stone lighter now than when I was pissed up. But that took about 6 to 8 months to drop off me

Just goes to show the benefits of quitting like, doesn't it?

« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 10:55:04 pm by Billy The Kid »
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11281 on: January 5, 2017, 11:07:52 pm »
Get on this. A lad joined the gym I go to at the end of October. He's only 10 weeks sober and has torched off 3 stone in weight already

I was chatting to him earlier. I noticed he had slimmed down a lot so I asked him if he's on some sort of crazy weight loss diet

He said no. All he did was fuck the liquor off. Said he still eats like a pig and still enjoys the odd take away on weekends

He puts in a good 3 to 4 hours per week in the gym mind, but fuck me, 3 stone in 10 weeks is some going in fairness

I'm about 3 stone lighter now than when I was pissed up. But that took about 6 to 8 months to drop off me

Just goes to show the benefits of quitting like, doesn't it?
Crazy isn't it?

Decided I'm off it meself now, wouldn't say I am a big drinker anyway but the past couple of months with the run up to Christmas and NYE have been full of boozed up nights which has made me gain weight!

I'd say its the day after a night out that kills me though, I just eat pure shite all day and night sometimes a takeaway dinner and tea on the same day to fight the hangover.

Not good at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11282 on: January 6, 2017, 12:05:30 pm »
The thing that makes me laugh is people who set new years resolutions to only drink on Friday and Saturday

Even if you only drink 6 pints on each night, that's still almost 2000 calories

You'd need to spend over 3 hours on a cross-trainer just to burn that off

That's not even including the shite you're likely to eat after a night on the piss
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #11283 on: January 9, 2017, 03:47:30 pm »
I must admit ive lost weight but im sure ill put it on now ive my appetite back :) Havent felt this good for ages if im honest. I can go from day to day not budgeting for my next beer etc. Instead of a beer etc i go to the model shop and get another tin of model paint for my current builds. Very satisfying. Also , i bought my first pair of jeans in years with the money i saved from not drinking :)

Hope you are doing well.

Carl.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11284 on: January 9, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »
Please tell me you are building a model Dalek
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #11285 on: January 9, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
Great news mate!!

You've disappeared from Facebook, no?

I've been a stranger for personal reasons but now I'm out of the woods and doing good again.

Hope you're in a good place mate.  ;)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11286 on: January 9, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »
Great stuff Carl, keep it up buddy.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11287 on: January 10, 2017, 03:57:23 pm »
Thanks guys , i appreciate it. Ill be honest , although its only been two months im finding it very easy to not even think about a drink. Not sure what is different this time , maybe the knowledge that i was almost dead just before detox helped. By all accounts im lucky to still be here so i think its time i took the chance and did something worthwhile.

I hope everyone else is doing ok as well :)

Carl.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #11288 on: February 2, 2017, 09:54:17 am »
Still trotting along just fine, are you Carl?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11289 on: February 2, 2017, 10:11:21 am »
Not sure if I'm giving up forever yet, but I'm 30 days into doing 122. I picked 122 because I did that in prison and I figured, if I can do 122 days in there with all its negatives and not drink because it was impossible to get hold of, then I can simply not drink for 122 days when i can literally do everything else. Most of the time I don't miss it.

Moments I have found difficult so far are

-getting back home after the Wolves game and doing a massive shift in a bar - really desperate to have a couple of pints after that shift, especially as I finished and went to meet my girlfriend in a boozer open later than mine

-arriving in Liverpool for the Chelsea game with 2 and a half hours till the match on my own - time usually reserved for boozing, but forced myself into the ground an hour and 20 minutes before kick off and managed it.

-and finally a Sunday night where me and my girlfriend met five other mates and everyone's drinking but me. Tell you what, I really find the pub boring as fuck when I'm sober. There's no motivation to stay whatsoever and I end up convincing my girlfriend to leave about 10/half 10 and go home because I'm really not inclined to listen to people who have had 8/9/10 pints over the course of the day talk total bollocks at me. I still enjoy it as a meeting point, for a catch up, for a bite to eat, but I really struggle to spend anything longer than 2 hours in one boozer.

Positives are that I've spent the money I would have spent on more Liverpool games which is something I've always wanted to do (plus I've had no problem going the games and singing without drinking which I thought might be a stumbling bock), and I'm nearly out of my overdraft. Plus I do a big 10-15 mile cycle ride once a week and have started cycling everywhere again rather than getting the bus which is good as I don't do much exercise beyond that.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2017, 10:12:55 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11290 on: February 2, 2017, 03:37:34 pm »
Thanks guys , i appreciate it. Ill be honest , although its only been two months im finding it very easy to not even think about a drink. Not sure what is different this time , maybe the knowledge that i was almost dead just before detox helped. By all accounts im lucky to still be here so i think its time i took the chance and did something worthwhile.

I hope everyone else is doing ok as well :)

Carl.

Carl mate thats boss - well done fella. The greatest compliment I can say to you is your persistent desire to stop, even when you've fallen off the wagon, you go again - that's determination is a feature of who you are and it's a brilliant Characteristic.

Alex

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11291 on: February 2, 2017, 04:37:17 pm »
Tell you what, I really find the pub boring as fuck when I'm sober.

Pubs are dull and frankly annoying places as a non drinker.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11292 on: February 4, 2017, 09:51:31 am »
Tell you what, I really find the pub boring as fuck when I'm sober.

I went out for a bite to eat with my old man not so long ago. Went to one of the local haunts where I used to drink on occasion. It's been almost ten years since I've been in there and literally nothing has changed. Looked around and saw the same regular faces, sitting in the same old places, talking the same old bollox, complaining about the same old shite and drinking the same old "pint of the usual". The only difference is they've clocked up a few more wrinkles and grey hairs since I last saw them

And I'm not talking about old geezers here. I'm talking about guys my age (35) who I went to school with and played football with. Pissing their health away, pissing their money away and just pissing their lives away in general. You often here people say "ah I'd miss going out and having a laugh with the lads if I gave it up". The truth is there's nothing to miss. They'll all probably still be there in ten years time and they probably will have never even noticed that you left

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11293 on: February 4, 2017, 11:49:21 am »
Pubs are boring as hell when sober. Its just dull and to be honest you need to be pissed to tolerate the wankers at times. Its something i dont miss. Talking to my doctor the other day and my LFT results which should be 0-60 have gone from 1646 to 82 since detox. I said to him i do group sessions etc and if i am ever asked if its worth knocking it on the head i tell the truth. Its fucking hard but fuck me its worth it by a long way. Ive had some good piss ups etc but the lows far outweigh the plusses. Then again i can now say ' did '.

Offline yellowquarry

• Kemlynite
« Reply #11294 on: February 4, 2017, 05:45:51 pm »
Well done Sir HF.  It's a great thing your're doing.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11295 on: February 4, 2017, 06:34:19 pm »
That LFT change is huge...

What an improvement...

Kudos
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11296 on: February 4, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »
Cheers guys. Yea my liver was a gnats pube from collapse im told. 6 times over the limit and feeling fine was not a good way to be. But i feel shit loads better and no more aching in my back and guts etc. Its great being teetotal :)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11297 on: February 11, 2017, 09:28:43 am »
Cheers guys. Yea my liver was a gnats pube from collapse im told. 6 times over the limit and feeling fine was not a good way to be. But i feel shit loads better and no more aching in my back and guts etc. Its great being teetotal :)

I'm happy to read this.   :D

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11298 on: February 13, 2017, 04:27:51 pm »

That's great to hear Carl. Well done. When you pass day 50 you'll really start to notice the benefits of quitting. That's when you'll really come out of the daze and realize what a complete and absolute utter shit show drinking actually is.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11299 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:04 pm »

Well done mate. Seen you in here a lot so congratulations, I'm pleased things are moving in the right direction.

I've made it to 43 days today checking my app. It says I've saved about Ł246 based on my drinking habits and would you believe it, my overdraft is roughly Ł200 nearer getting paid off. So feel better overall, and I'm closer to paying off my overdraft (or replacing my laptop ;D )

At least 79 days for me to go to reach the 122.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11300 on: February 15, 2017, 10:32:09 am »
Well done mate. Seen you in here a lot so congratulations, I'm pleased things are moving in the right direction.

I've made it to 43 days today checking my app. It says I've saved about Ł246 based on my drinking habits and would you believe it, my overdraft is roughly Ł200 nearer getting paid off. So feel better overall, and I'm closer to paying off my overdraft (or replacing my laptop ;D )

At least 79 days for me to go to reach the 122.

Great stuff. Keep it up. You should notice a few pounds in weight drop off too

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11301 on: February 22, 2017, 08:10:48 am »
Well, i rehomed a greyhound called Cory on saturday and to be able to focus on him is great. Therapy at its best. He is still adjusting but then again so am i.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #11302 on: February 22, 2017, 08:57:01 am »
Well, i rehomed a greyhound called Cory on saturday and to be able to focus on him is great. Therapy at its best. He is still adjusting but then again so am i.

That's great, a good focus to have and one that will give you loads of pleasure as well.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11303 on: February 22, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »

I'm surprised. I thought you'd have gone for a nice cat   ;D
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11304 on: February 22, 2017, 09:45:15 pm »
I'm surprised. I thought you'd have gone for a nice cat   ;D

Hes gone for a greyhound so he can catch the cat
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11305 on: February 22, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »
and one that will give you loads of pleasure as well.

this is the part that worries me

My dog stuffing his nose up my hoop as i ' entertain ' my partner.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11306 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:14 am »
Hes gone for a greyhound so he can catch the cat

Free food ;)

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11307 on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:40 am »
this is the part that worries me

:lmao
Keep it up SHF!

I made 50 days yesterday. Although I've got an end date I'm still not really missing it. Made it out of my overdraft this week also. Going to go into the bank in a week or two and ask them to remove the facility once I've got enough to last on.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11308 on: April 20, 2017, 05:58:31 pm »
Ok guys i lapsed. My Fiancee dumped me and i just resorted back to memory loss via alcohol. Its just a lapse and it is ending. I have been offered a job which is good. Im playing guitar a lot more for now considering i was close to quitting. Just another kick in the fucking balls that i will have to recover from.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11309 on: April 20, 2017, 06:31:34 pm »
Sorry to hear that but as long as it's just a lapse it's no big deal. I quit in December 2014 I think and relapsed one night for similar reasons to you about 10 months ago but told myself it's a one-off, didn't beat myself up about it and been sober again ever since. How you react to it is far more important than the relapse itself. But you know that already so you'll be fine.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11310 on: April 20, 2017, 06:55:36 pm »
Ok guys i lapsed. My Fiancee dumped me and i just resorted back to memory loss via alcohol. Its just a lapse and it is ending. I have been offered a job which is good. Im playing guitar a lot more for now considering i was close to quitting. Just another kick in the fucking balls that i will have to recover from.
Have you got the court case coming up?  Can't be easy if you do...
W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11311 on: April 20, 2017, 07:24:08 pm »
Yes the same day im to start my new job. Typical.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11312 on: April 20, 2017, 07:30:08 pm »
Yes the same day im to start my new job. Typical.
Pretty tough time then....

I guess you've got to look forward to the new job and what comes after the court case.
W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11313 on: April 20, 2017, 07:33:25 pm »
Yea prison...

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11314 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:16 pm »
W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11315 on: April 20, 2017, 07:41:21 pm »
If i do ill kick off as i did nothing wrong

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11316 on: April 20, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »
If i do ill kick off as i did nothing wrong

Well, I can see your point...

But that won't make you any happier will it?
W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11317 on: April 20, 2017, 08:06:52 pm »
At this precise moment in time i struggle to see what will make me happy.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11318 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »
At this precise moment in time i struggle to see what will make me happy.
Yeah it must be a bloody fidfficukt time for you mate, but there's always happiness on the horizon...

W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11319 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »
Yeah it must be a bloody fidfficukt time for you mate, but there's always happiness on the horizon...

And i had it and lost it