Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 839526 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2800 on: December 3, 2017, 06:56:25 pm »
Seeing the photo of the Kardomah reminds when I was a kid it, and Coopers, was where posh people went.

I went in to Coopers once with my dad who bought a quarter of ham. ;) and that was it.

The smell of ground coffee still brings back memories of that visit.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2801 on: December 4, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
Seeing the photo of the Kardomah reminds when I was a kid it, and Coopers, was where posh people went.

I went in to Coopers once with my dad who bought a quarter of ham. ;) and that was it.

The smell of ground coffee still brings back memories of that visit.

Is your surname pronounced Bouquet?  ;D
Sounds like a sketch out of Keeping up appearances!

Those cars in that foto.. 8)
Not a pothole in sight & probably no parking meters too.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2802 on: December 7, 2017, 02:44:54 am »

Being ex police myself I made a few enquiries about this picture. It is PC Bob Barlow. His number whilst City of Liverpool Police was 63 B, changing to 1253 when it became Merseyside Police. He retired at Lower lane. His son was also in the job but now retired.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2803 on: December 7, 2017, 09:51:34 am »
Being ex police myself I made a few enquiries about this picture. It is PC Bob Barlow. His number whilst City of Liverpool Police was 63 B, changing to 1253 when it became Merseyside Police. He retired at Lower lane. His son was also in the job but now retired.
Hell of a place to take a piss.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2804 on: December 7, 2017, 11:23:42 am »
Hell of a place to take a piss.

Especially with what would appear to be a cock up to his chest.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2805 on: December 7, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »
Is your surname pronounced Bouquet?  ;D
Sounds like a sketch out of Keeping up appearances!

Those cars in that foto.. 8)
Not a pothole in sight & probably no parking meters too.

We were the Bouquet's who lived in a council house but my dad had been in the Navy and sampled foreign food.

He took me for my first Chinese meal in the Kong Nam in Lord Street when I was eleven.

Kids now are used to eating out from an early age, and good luck to them, but in the sixties it was a big deal.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #2806 on: December 8, 2017, 10:31:13 am »

Another which will be eventually lost forever,fucking crying shame.

The barbers next door is good, go there now and then when my usual one is shut
Legacy fan

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2807 on: December 9, 2017, 03:02:48 pm »
Courtesy of YO!

Guess the year?  :)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2808 on: December 9, 2017, 04:23:43 pm »
A few more..

Walton maternity ward 1968..i could be on that foto!

Before and after..care to guess?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2809 on: December 9, 2017, 08:02:51 pm »

Guess the year?  :)
Something between 1969 and 72?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2810 on: December 9, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »
Gonna be before Feb 1971 with the 5D bit in the first pic isn't it?  So split the middle, 1970?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2811 on: December 10, 2017, 12:16:55 am »
Gonna be before Feb 1971 with the 5D bit in the first pic isn't it?  So split the middle, 1970?
I think the answer is a bit earlier mate. It's not much fucking use him going on his chrimbo night out tonight though :)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2812 on: December 10, 2017, 10:01:39 am »
Sorry lads,had some pretty bad news to digest.

1967 i believe is the year the foto (standing by his car) was taken.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2813 on: December 10, 2017, 01:10:01 pm »
We were the Bouquet's who lived in a council house but my dad had been in the Navy and sampled foreign food.

He took me for my first Chinese meal in the Kong Nam in Lord Street when I was eleven.

Kids now are used to eating out from an early age, and good luck to them, but in the sixties it was a big deal.

For me in the 70's it was still a big deal too. My Dad took up Karate when he was 24, so that would be about 1971 and they'd go to china town to eat, which got my Dad into chinese food. I think I'd be about 8 or 9 the first time I ate Chinese and that was in a restaurant on Nelson Street. I seem to remember ducks and stuff hanging in the window. We also used to go to the Golden Phoenix and my Mum used to take us to one after they divorced, so that would be 1981, 82. I can't remember the name, I think it was the something Pearl, it was on Ranelagh Street, opposite Central above the shops.

Like you say, it seems to be expected that kids will eat out these days. Besides eating in pubs, my kids have been for Chinese, Italian, Greek (UK and on Zante), Turkish and Spanish in Spain and Tenerife.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2814 on: December 10, 2017, 01:37:11 pm »
....1967 i believe is the year the foto (standing by his car) was taken.

I think that's likely.

I thought the first picture to be around the mid 60's (that B reg MGB dates it to '64 or later)

The second is likely slightly later, that looks like a 1300 estate parked just in front of the house with scaffolding. they came out in '66, but if you look closely the street lights have changed. In the first photo, the lights are still strung from cables over the road from I think when the tramlines ran past there, so it's got to be a few years later, maybe 68-69.

The car lot used to be just an open space, I think the first showroom wasn't built until the mid 60's, and for a short while in the early 60's, I remember that house with the scaffolding held Joe's (Georgeson) office, probably while the first showroom was being constructed.

The third picture has a Cortina Estate mk3, they only came out in late '70 so it must be into the 70's.

I remember Georgesons quite well, I might have mentioned it years back in the Old Arse thread.

My Dad was chummy with Joe (who from recollection seemed to chain smoke big cigars), I'm not sure but they may have known each other as teenagers around Anfield before the war, and quite often on the way to my Nans in Kemlyn road in the late 50's and into the early 60's, my Dad would stop at Georgesons and have a chat with Joe while I watched things like the tankers filling up the pumps or had a sit in some of the cars on the forecourt pretending to drive, or one exciting day around 62-63, watching a circus parade go past, elephants, caged lions, clowns, the works (insert jokes about Everton here..   ;)  ).

Joe had a brother (named Peter I think) who sometimes was there and if I'm not mistaken Peter(?) was the Dad of Tom Georgeson the actor (Boys from the Black Stuff and other things).

Joe lived on Town Row near the Village, went to his house as a kid a few times, his wife was always really nice to us kids giving us our first taste of expensive continental chocolate one Christmas, something my Mum could never have afforded.

I think Peter lived Haymans Green way, certainly remember I think it was Tom (though it might have been another Georgeson son, it's a long time ago now) in the mid 60's knocking around West Derby village always dressed in the latest gear and being one of the first people around town with long hair.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2815 on: December 11, 2017, 05:25:11 am »
I used to deliver papers to 2 of them big houses in the second picture 12 and 16 breck road even though a map calls it townsend avenue , there was probably similar houses on were georgesons stood possibly bombed in the war , the houses on that block have all gone now as georgesons covers all that

My dad knew georgeson as well and when we moved to croxteth park my dad used to say he would  see him riding horses there now and then . I started going the match in the early 70s in the main stand with tickets my dad would get off another garage owner who had his garage on Lorenzo drive by were Sayers stood .

And then there was Tom Wolfendens garage on priory road , he was known locally as TOM2 as that was his plate on his cars , it was an esso garage so in 1970 you'd hang out there trying to bum the esso world cup silver coins for your collection .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:22:29 pm by glittershazzam!963 »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2816 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:53 pm »
I used to deliver papers to 2 of them big houses in the second picture 12 and 16 breck road even though a map calls it townsend avenue , there was probably similar houses on were georgesons stood possibly bombed in the war , the houses on that block have all gone now as georgesons covers all that

My dad knew georgeson as well and when we moved to croxteth park my dad used to say he would  see him riding horses there now and then . I started going the match in the early 70s in the main stand with tickets my dad would get off another garage owner who had his garage on Lorenzo drive by were Sayers stood .

And then there was Tom Wolfendens garage on priory road , he was known locally as TOM2 as that was his plate on his cars , it was an esso garage so in 1970 you'd hang out there trying to bum the esso world cup silver coins for your collection .

I'd forgotten that, yes, he went riding.

I have a photo somewhere of a horse box he donated to Cardinal Godfrey school (Anfield) in 1961 or so to be used as a school minibus type transport.

My Dad and a few other Teachers there converted it, put seats and windows in it, and even took it  over to France on school trips. Luxury...

I'm not sure about Georgesons having being a bomb site, I had to check on the Echo bomb map and while there's a few impacts around there, there's none at that exact spot, though it's possibly the Echo is wrong (nothing unusual about that).

I think Richie or Tsar put a link up a few years ago with a much better and accurate bomb impact map, I can't find the link at the moment, but perhaps it's on that.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2817 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:22 pm »

I have a photo somewhere of a horse box he donated to Cardinal Godfrey school (Anfield) in 1961 or so to be used as a school minibus type transport.

My Dad and a few other Teachers there converted it, put seats and windows in it, and even took it  over to France on school trips. Luxury...

Your Dad was a teacher in Gardinal Godfrey? I went there in 1971. Loved that school.We sure needed transport as we didn't even have a school playing field. We had to board transport to West Derby for footy etc!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2818 on: December 12, 2017, 07:23:30 pm »

I'm not sure about Georgesons having being a bomb site, I had to check on the Echo bomb map and while there's a few impacts around there, there's none at that exact spot, though it's possibly the Echo is wrong (nothing unusual about that).

I think Richie or Tsar put a link up a few years ago with a much better and accurate bomb impact map, I can't find the link at the moment, but perhaps it's on that.

Not a map, but I did find this chronological list on the Merseyside Fire and Rescue website. There is one mention of 2 badly damaged trams on Priory Road, an Ammunition  train set on fire in Breck Road sidings and 17 houses damaged on Townsend Ave, sadly it doesn't give which bit and google maps does have that bit of road outside Georgesons as Townsend Ave

http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/Historical/blitzCronology.htm

http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/Historical/pdf/Blitz_cronology.pdf
Jurgen YNWA

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2819 on: December 13, 2017, 12:13:38 am »
It's really weird that Townsend avenue bit , as it's Townsend lane all the way to broadway then it becomes Townsend avenue . I can strangely remember the two house I delivered too and they were 12 n 16 breck road and I'd never heard of that little stretch called Townsend avenue before until l looked on google maps . There is a stressing on the corner house of Walton breck road and breck road but google havent covered it so will have a look tomorrow after the maych when I leave the cabbage

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2820 on: December 28, 2017, 02:16:22 pm »
Not sure if this is the proper place for this - could have maybe been planted in a few other threads - but the BBC have done a little series about a particular house and its history. It begins next week (Thurs 4 Jan).

https://www.facebook.com/MerseysideOnFilm/videos/158642804757530/?fref=mentions
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2821 on: December 28, 2017, 02:32:28 pm »
Looks interesting. 

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2822 on: December 29, 2017, 10:49:13 am »
Lord Street 1981.....with the legendary Meng Kee on the right....boss, open all hours Chinese restaurant...great way to end the night, if you could navigate the staircase that took you down to it

and the view as it is today

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lord+St,+Liverpool/@53.405246,-2.988444,3a,30y,312.01h,92.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRNBvfjBxHVt8G4-mHCivug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b212e4fd44755:0x4a1282fe19492571!8m2!3d53.4053113!4d-2.9877815
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:53:22 am by Pissed Bolero Ice King »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2823 on: December 30, 2017, 02:07:56 pm »
^ that 78 back to Halewood from town could be better than the night out - and longer :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #2824 on: December 30, 2017, 02:15:46 pm »
^ that 78 back to Halewood from town could be better than the night out - and longer :D
Haha one hell of a route too.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2825 on: January 1, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »
1930's waterfront
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2826 on: January 6, 2018, 12:43:44 pm »
The Windmill - Tower Hill, Kirkby - in the 80's...yer typical friendly neighborhood pub  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2827 on: January 6, 2018, 01:09:11 pm »
The Windmill - Tower Hill, Kirkby - in the 80's...yer typical friendly neighborhood pub  ;D

Looks like a scene from Dancing with Wolves.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2828 on: January 6, 2018, 02:24:40 pm »

Used to hate those dogs, they'd hang right over the edge trying to get at you, always expected one of the fuckers to jump down and get us.

Jurgen YNWA

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2829 on: January 6, 2018, 05:29:58 pm »

Ha ha ha.

Until I was in my teens I thought the natural habitat of a German shepherd was on the flat roof of an estate pub :D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2830 on: January 8, 2018, 08:13:55 pm »
Many a stay behind sunday night here..back in the day of course.

Ventured here into Bootle often too..

Moby in Canny..dunno what date tho..

Could be one of me uncles working here..

Bechers 1930..fucking hell.  :o

Another which fell to the bulldozers..Gt Newton St,now part of the Uni.

City Pets!

« Last Edit: January 8, 2018, 08:38:34 pm by Medellin »

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2831 on: January 8, 2018, 08:33:44 pm »
Liverpool/Bootle boundary on Hawthorne road..never knew or seen this before.

:'(

Looks different without the craziness & red flares eh!

Bootle Strand 1968..anyone guess the advertisement ?

Does that say the Paradox there?  :D

Another building lost..pretty sure it was a furniture store before it was reduced to rubble?
Bedford rd Walton.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2832 on: January 8, 2018, 09:15:18 pm »

Moby in Canny..dunno what date tho..

Unless I'm mistaken, Id swear that's Heathfield on Tower Hill that and If I'm right its Gerrys Van - Gerry was from Southdene. I'd say its late 80's as the van was in Ravenscroft from about 1981/82 and was still there after we moved out in 87.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2833 on: January 8, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2834 on: January 8, 2018, 09:31:33 pm »
I've no idea regarding the moby Rob,that was the info attached.

Has to be Schweppes mate..thought it was R Whites at first,remember that  TV Ad too?!  ;D

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/DnxLjbwmJjM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/DnxLjbwmJjM</a>
« Last Edit: January 8, 2018, 09:34:13 pm by Medellin »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2835 on: January 8, 2018, 09:34:28 pm »
Used to love city pets - their aquarium section was better than the museum's!!

The one where you say your uncles might be - which building is that?? St John's Tower or Paddy's Wigwam??

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2836 on: January 8, 2018, 09:38:23 pm »

The one where you say your uncles might be - which building is that?? St John's Tower or Paddy's Wigwam??

Aye i think thats where i got the aquarist bug from.
Hoping thats the tower Jim,one of me uncles worked on it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2837 on: January 8, 2018, 09:52:53 pm »
Aye i think thats where i got the aquarist bug from.
You're not supposed to drink the water ya blert!!!

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2838 on: January 8, 2018, 10:09:06 pm »
You're not supposed to drink the water ya blert!!!
;D

Some cracking photo's there Medellin  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2839 on: January 8, 2018, 10:13:25 pm »

Thats the tower restaurant , had the revolving floor , my mum and dad had a meal there soon after it opened and they still have the certificate stating how they'd dined in orbit .