Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 474522 times)

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #5320 on: September 22, 2016, 06:15:37 pm »
Ah OK so Plex just acts as the server which is then accessible via other devices??
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5321 on: September 22, 2016, 06:19:33 pm »
Yep. Watch movies on the TV without having to connect the laptop or the HDD to the TV.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5322 on: September 25, 2016, 08:20:38 am »
Zero Zero - had been playing about at the weekend with Plex and am impressed.  The remote play possibilities look amazing and I think I am gonna commit to buying the App.

I tried playing a few movies through the TV but was a little disappointed with the speed, and would prefer to use my Mac Mini (which connects to the TV through an AVR).

Is there any other software that Plex do that I can use on the Mac Mini rather than just the web player?
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5323 on: September 25, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »
I use an apple tv to watch stuff on the telly, can use network drives, or whatevers in iTunes, or share the screen from the macs in the house. Good for the footy sometimes.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5324 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:50 pm »
Thanks Claire.  I Tweeted Plex directly and they do have an old player that I managed to download and can use for free before I commit to buying the full system.

Works really well, smoother than Kodi for me, and I am very impressed so far! :-)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5325 on: September 30, 2016, 03:46:46 pm »
how did you folks like "MacOS Sierra"? The name sounds like a defensive midfielder from Villareal but i loved it especially Siri, picture in picture, clipboard  functions.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5326 on: September 30, 2016, 06:16:59 pm »
Not really noticed much difference to be honest. My MBP is from 2011 so I do wonder if there are some features which I don't get the benefit of?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5327 on: September 30, 2016, 07:29:15 pm »
Not really noticed much difference to be honest. My MBP is from 2011 so I do wonder if there are some features which I don't get the benefit of?

Yes some features such as "clipboard" (you can copy on iphone and paste on MacBook) requires 2012 or newer Mac. As for the features, Siri is more helpful on Macbook than iPhone. Check this video, i found it useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoPzFOgHTws

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5328 on: September 30, 2016, 10:33:23 pm »
Thanks, I'll take a look in the morning. I don't use Siri on my phone would feel like a twat talking to it, reckon I'd feel the same talking to my laptop. Probably have a better conversation than with the wife though
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5329 on: October 1, 2016, 01:16:27 pm »
Thanks, I'll take a look in the morning. I don't use Siri on my phone would feel like a twat talking to it, reckon I'd feel the same talking to my laptop. Probably have a better conversation than with the wife though

;D I agree with feeling like a twat while using Siri outside but different story at home with macbook.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #5330 on: October 12, 2016, 02:13:00 pm »
My mid 2012 13" Pro has died. The hard drive went, so bought a replacement SSD, and some new RAM to upgrade. Installed it all fine, then it started struggling - complete freezes were happening frequently. Ended up installing OS about four times in the space of a couple of weeks. Then the hard drive disappeared, couldn't recover. Now it won't recognise any drive I put in. Thinking it might be the motherboard. But will take it in somewhere to have it looked at in case it's something less expensive.

Probably going to call it a day and buy a new one, even though I've been saving for other things. I really need a laptop for work and having used Macs for my work for years I can't stand to change. Going to have to wait for this bloody new launch though because I don't want to buy the old tech just before the new stuff comes out.

I am fully inside the Apple circle of hell. Can't believe I'm waiting for a fucking Apple product launch.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
« Reply #5331 on: October 12, 2016, 07:48:06 pm »
My mid 2012 13" Pro has died. The hard drive went, so bought a replacement SSD, and some new RAM to upgrade. Installed it all fine, then it started struggling - complete freezes were happening frequently. Ended up installing OS about four times in the space of a couple of weeks. Then the hard drive disappeared, couldn't recover. Now it won't recognise any drive I put in. Thinking it might be the motherboard. But will take it in somewhere to have it looked at in case it's something less expensive.

Probably going to call it a day and buy a new one, even though I've been saving for other things. I really need a laptop for work and having used Macs for my work for years I can't stand to change. Going to have to wait for this bloody new launch though because I don't want to buy the old tech just before the new stuff comes out.

I am fully inside the Apple circle of hell. Can't believe I'm waiting for a fucking Apple product launch.

Take it in to the Apple store and quote these EU warranty guidelines at them, I've done it before with an iPhone that was 2 years old and a Macbook that was 4 years old at the time and they fixed everything for free:

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #5332 on: October 13, 2016, 08:49:19 am »
Damn. Wish I'd read the above before replacing my mid 2010 MBP which was rebooting all the time due to nvidia graphics fault. Ive just bought a new MBP. Nuts.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #5333 on: October 13, 2016, 11:03:17 am »
Take it in to the Apple store and quote these EU warranty guidelines at them, I've done it before with an iPhone that was 2 years old and a Macbook that was 4 years old at the time and they fixed everything for free:

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Thanks for this, mate. I have just spoken to Apple about using consumer law to get it repaired free. Basically the guy told me that once the issue has been diagnosed I should get back in touch and say that I want to claim under consumer law, and then it will be considered. Only thing is, he said it would be considered if the machine is in very good condition ie obviously well looked after. I am fairly confident they will tell me my machine is really not in good condition, ha. It's got a fair amount of scratches unfortunately.

Still, I'll see what the diagnosis is and try for it anyway. Not holding my breath but thanks for the heads up!
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
« Reply #5334 on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:03 pm »
Thanks for this, mate. I have just spoken to Apple about using consumer law to get it repaired free. Basically the guy told me that once the issue has been diagnosed I should get back in touch and say that I want to claim under consumer law, and then it will be considered. Only thing is, he said it would be considered if the machine is in very good condition ie obviously well looked after. I am fairly confident they will tell me my machine is really not in good condition, ha. It's got a fair amount of scratches unfortunately.

Still, I'll see what the diagnosis is and try for it anyway. Not holding my breath but thanks for the heads up!

I used to work in this area of consumer rights and the general condition of the computer shouldn't have anything to do with it. Why would the screen being scratched affect the hard drive (for example)?

When I got my Macbook repaired it was because the battey was on its way out. They were going on about charges and being out of warranty until I brought up that link on one of their Macs in store and they immediately changed their tune. They swapped out the battery for free and when I got it back they told me they'd also put in a new track pad and keyboard just because they were quite old.

Your best bet is to take it in to an Apple store if you can and push for the EU warranty etc, I always find them reasonable and helpful in person, especially the staff in Apple stores

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5335 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:49 pm »
Thoughts on the new Macbook Pro?
I dislike the touch bar thing, but like the bigger trackpad and 16 GB of RAM as standard.

Feels like a small step into nothing very exciting.

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5336 on: October 27, 2016, 09:48:48 pm »
Thoughts on the new Macbook Pro?
I dislike the touch bar thing, but like the bigger trackpad and 16 GB of RAM as standard.

Feels like a small step into nothing very exciting.
Have you used it yet?

If not, how could you possibly come to a conclusion

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5337 on: October 27, 2016, 09:52:54 pm »
True enough.
Just looks gimmicky and I've seen things come and go long enough to just know it's something I would completely ignore - minus the basic functions.

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5338 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:07 pm »
True enough.
Just looks gimmicky and I've seen things come and go long enough to just know it's something I would completely ignore - minus the basic functions.
The RAWK iPad thread went on for pages and pages of "What's it for?", "Not enough processing power", "Why would you have one if you can have a laptop". Then, on around page seventeen, someone finally got their hands on one...

In my experience, Apple rarely do gimmicky as a whole bunch of us use these things for work and not as lifestyle accessories. The touch strip looks interesting and odds are it's more likely to be one of those "I wonder how I managed before..." developments than a gimmick. But I'll wait to use it first - being a touch strip it'll probably be a good idea to touch it first before rushing to judgment ;)

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5339 on: October 28, 2016, 07:29:46 am »
It may be true, we'll see, as an idea it left me a bit cold though.
I was hoping they'd bring back the 17'' in Retina, but that is obviously not happening anytime soon.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5340 on: October 28, 2016, 07:42:21 am »
The idea of the touch strip is a really good one. There are many programs I use where I wish they each had their own set of keyboard keys available for me to press.

If it's actually any good or not will come down to how it works with these programs though, and ideally if it's customisable by the user to determine what is displayed.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5341 on: October 28, 2016, 08:30:21 am »
Priced the same in £ as $.  I wonder why that is... 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5342 on: October 29, 2016, 11:42:27 am »
Priced the same in £ as $.  I wonder why that is... 

Not sure on that -  but seems Apple have put their prices up - considerably... (from £100 - up to £500 - for the higher-end spec model)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/28/brexit-apple-mac-customers-prices-rise-us-dollar-pound-sterling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37799235
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #5343 on: October 31, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »
were getting shafted by apple  :-[

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5344 on: October 31, 2016, 02:58:13 pm »
were getting shafted by apple  :-[

Not really, the price is the price, it seems to be more because our currency fell through the floor. You can say thanks by posting dog shit through the letterbox of Leave voters.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5345 on: October 31, 2016, 10:22:12 pm »
Not sure on that -  but seems Apple have put their prices up - considerably... (from £100 - up to £500 - for the higher-end spec model)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/28/brexit-apple-mac-customers-prices-rise-us-dollar-pound-sterling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37799235

1799 USD v 1749 GBP.   

For the first time since pre-2008, I've ordered a non-Apple laptop.  I couldn't justify paying that amount for a relatively low spec machine.   It has a 2015 processor, for example.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5346 on: November 2, 2016, 10:15:39 am »
Ordering a new MacBook through work and tried to get the Retina Pro but got an email this morning saying they have discontinued that line because of the announcement.

I've been given alternative options and im stuck on which would be best.

•   MacBook Air 13-inch: 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 256GB
•   MacBook 12” 256GB  ◦12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Retina display, ◦1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core m3

Im clueless about Intel core specs and such on these, the 12'' looks to be a newer model but is only 1.1ghz compared to the Air's 1.6ghz. Im not sure what the different is between m3 and i5 though.

I only use the MacBook for running Football Manager and browsing/downloading really. Looking for the one that will run FM the quickest.

« Last Edit: November 2, 2016, 10:18:11 am by 'Mondzz' »
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5347 on: November 3, 2016, 12:44:54 am »
1799 USD v 1749 GBP.   

For the first time since pre-2008, I've ordered a non-Apple laptop.  I couldn't justify paying that amount for a relatively low spec machine.   It has a 2015 processor, for example.

Does feel like a piss-take given the age (and components) of some models - hopefully it'll give us, the consumer, the kick up the ass to do a little more research in getting more value for money when parting with a considerable amount of cash on a laptop/pc... though will be interesting to see if/when other manufacturers raise their prices too.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #5348 on: November 7, 2016, 03:42:33 pm »
I have been waiting to upgrade from my old Macbook but have decided against a new Macbook Pro now.  The improvements are minimal, the price hike is unwarranted and the removal of all ports will be a pain for me.  I can't understand how its being called a Pro...

I might see if I can find an older model somewhere that is reasonably priced otherwise I am moving to Windows.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5349 on: November 7, 2016, 03:48:58 pm »
Same here.
I have a 2011 machine and with 16GB of memory and an SSD drive it's no slouch, may bump it up to a 2015 MBPro next year.
Not sure what Apple's plan is, but they've definitely lost their way a bit. The only truly Pro machine they make is Mac Pro. Haven't released a monitor for a decade now, iMacs are the same for past 4 years apart from the retina upgrade. Just a very weird state of affairs regarding their Mac division. I'm sure it's not a major money maker for them - but I'd love to see something good, new and irresistible - a machine you'd love to have.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #5350 on: November 19, 2016, 11:57:52 pm »
Can anyone recommend a free windows movie maker for the macbook?  Something simple and easy to use. 

Much appreciated.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5351 on: November 20, 2016, 09:47:40 am »
http://www.apple.com/uk/imovie/

Don't know much about editing software but I've used it and it was pretty simple to use.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #5352 on: November 20, 2016, 01:05:58 pm »
cheers claire.  school project for the kid. ugh.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5353 on: November 27, 2016, 04:27:48 pm »
Tried the new MBPro.
Screen is glorious, it's a very fast machine but the touch strip thing is an ok gizmo that would work better if it was added on top of a regular keyboard.
On the other hand the portability of that lovely bunch of aluminium and chips is seriously challenged by the fact you'll be bound to 1-3 dongles to make it into a useful work machine.
I simply don't get their logic, is it aesthetics driven - because it sure as hell isn't user driven.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #5354 on: December 14, 2016, 11:06:45 am »
Looking for some advice.

Selling my iMac (21.5 inch, Mid-2011). It's in very good condition, has the original box and all working fine.

About how much should I be asking for it?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5355 on: December 14, 2016, 06:33:30 pm »
I sold a 27" mid-2011 in excellent nick with upgraded ram to 24GB for £600 last year.

All depends on who wants to buy it and how much they want it. Have a look on eBay etc for how much they're going for.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5356 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:41 pm »
I'd say around 500 euro would be a fair price.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5357 on: December 23, 2016, 11:34:27 am »
2 days ago I downloaded the latest operating system for my imac, going from El Capitan to Sierra.

There is something on here called Siri . . . . maybe it is my broad Geordie accent but half the time it doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying.

Frustrating    :butt

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5358 on: December 23, 2016, 11:36:40 am »
Go to System Preferences and turn the bitch off, you can't uninstall her unfortunately, I tried. 

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5359 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:44 am »
I hope someone can help with this:

There is a huge discrepancy between what I'm supposed to have in my iCloud drive and what's there in reality.

System Preferences : Documents - 113.55Gb
iCloud Drive : Documents - 22.8Gb
FInder : Documents - 22.8Gb

Sierra helpfully suggests that i delete files to free up space, but there are no files to delete. Anybody got any ideas what's going on and how I can sort it?

Running: macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta 7