Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 39760 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: Pearl Jam
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2009, 02:36:20 pm »
I'm mad for NO CODE, seriously one of my favorite albums ever.
Not much of a Pearl jam fan all in all.

Really think that No Code is the worst Pearl Jam album that they've released. Each to their own.

Really looking forward to the new album at the end of Sept.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2009, 01:41:33 am »
Fantastic band, would love to get the chance to see them at some point.

Vedder is a genius.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2009, 10:43:29 am »
The cover of 'Needle and the Damage Done' he performed was superb - check it out on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_A6N0AUvE4

the crowd is annoying but it's a fine rendition.  Sugar Mountain is even better..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIC5I20a7XA
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 9, 2009, 03:01:42 pm »
I'm mad for NO CODE, seriously one of my favorite albums ever.
Not much of a Pearl jam fan all in all.
Really think that No Code is the worst Pearl Jam album that they've released. Each to their own.

Really looking forward to the new album at the end of Sept.

Zlopasha - went back and listened to 'No Code' the other day, as I tried to re-introduce myself to old Pearl Jam albums. Think you were right. No Code is a pretty decent album. Much better than I can remember it back in the late 90's.

New album -  Backspacer - is pretty good. Imagine it will be missed by most people/ British press who'll just paint them as a typical 'grunge' band when that's not really the case.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:54 am »
Zlopasha - went back and listened to 'No Code' the other day, as I tried to re-introduce myself to old Pearl Jam albums. Think you were right. No Code is a pretty decent album. Much better than I can remember it back in the late 90's.

New album -  Backspacer - is pretty good. Imagine it will be missed by most people/ British press who'll just paint them as a typical 'grunge' band when that's not really the case.

Only got Backspacer the other day and it's been on loop in the car ever since.  They've gone for quality over quantity this time around with not a filler in sight.  Wouldn't mind a couple of solos though but you can't have everything.  I know Brendan O'Brien was at the controls but is it just me or do PJ sound a lot like the E Street Band in places on this one?  (not complaining - just an observation)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2009, 01:19:14 pm »
I know Brendan O'Brien was at the controls but is it just me or do PJ sound a lot like the E Street Band in places on this one?  (not complaining - just an observation)

I'd agree with that.

Think bits of the album also sound like they are influenced by The Ramones......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY73-FlKtUc

and bits sound like a continuation of the Eddie Vedder sound track to 'Into the Wild'. Partciularly Just Breathe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990mPRb3T50&feature=related

While I think the album contains 11 great songs my only criticism is that he doesn't seem to flow entirely. The 1st 4 songs do but then in the middle it seems to jump around a bit in styles. A minor criticism on what is a very good album.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2009, 01:52:27 pm »
Just announced a european tour for 2010. Mainly festivals but also a few headlining gigs in Dublin and Belfast. Best band I've ever seen live.

http://www.pearljam.com/news/2010-european-tour-announced

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2009, 05:29:35 pm »
Just announced a european tour for 2010. Mainly festivals but also a few headlining gigs in Dublin and Belfast. Best band I've ever seen live.

http://www.pearljam.com/news/2010-european-tour-announced

Dunno about just announced, I got Dublin tickets last week

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:32 am »
Dunno about just announced, I got Dublin tickets last week
Picked up tickets for this one too.  It should be good to hear what they sound like in a decent venue.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2010, 02:13:36 pm »
Best band I've ever seen live.

Hear hear! saw them three times (leeds festival,holland and manchester)and they got better and better with each gig. got tickets for belfast london and berlin this tour,cant wait! hopefully getting more tix for france and italy too. yes i am a geek......

greatest fucking band in the world.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F07nbIkCMj8
My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2010, 09:27:27 am »
Hard Rock Calling: 25th June 2010 - Hyde PARK

Pearl Jam + Wolfmother + Ben Harper + The Hives + The Gaslight Anthem

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:16 am »
Best band and frontman that ever walked the earth.

Well I love them but I wouldn't go that far. Seen them live in '93 and they were excellent.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2010, 11:42:39 am »
I think Ben Harper is above wolfmother on the bill. better had be anyways! Eddie is pretty good friends with Ben. He is also supporting them in Belfast and i presume Berlin although not confirmed yet.....

The hives are on in another tent.... shite anyway. Dont like wolfmother either... Looking forward to seeing The Gaslight Anthem though,i reckon they will be a good live band...

And then the boys! Ill be just back from Belfast seeing them in the Odyssey and from Hyde Park straight off to Berlin to see them for the third time in a week! woo hoo!! gonna be some summer!!

Henry Rollins

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:23 am »

The hives are on in another tent.... shite anyway.

You oaf, The Hives are class!

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »
You oaf, The Hives are class!

Haha,cant stand them mate! between them and wolfmother im hoping the bar will be quiet cos ill be getting smashed!

Henry Rollins

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17:16 am »
New live compilation album (Live on Ten Legs) is released next week as part of their 20 year anniversary celebrations. Looks like they have numerous plans to celebrate their 20 years together throughout 2011.

A new album and a European tour would be nice but probably unrealistic given that they toured Europe in both 2009 & 2010. Maybe a festival appearance is a possibility though. Heard a rumour that they where meant to be playing T in the Park last summer until Kasabian offered to do the headline slot for a cheaper fee.

Pearl Jam to Celebrate 20th Anniversary

2011 marks Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary as a band, and the group plans to celebrate throughout the year. They are playing some of their plans a bit close to the vest on their official site, but the grunge icons have promised deluxe reissues of their albums Vs. and Vitalogy, the release of Cameron Crowe's film Pearl Jam Twenty along with an accompanying book and soundtrack, and a special weekend concert in the late summer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/digest-pearl-jam-plan-20th-anniversary-cee-lo-records-with-gwyneth-paltrow-20110105

"Live on Ten Legs" Tracklisting:

1. Arms Aloft

2. World Wide Suicide

3. Animal

4. Got Some

5. State of Love And Trust

6. I Am Mine

7. Unthought Known

8. Rearview Mirror

9. The Fixer

10. Nothing As It Seems

11. In Hiding

12. Just Breathe

13. Jeremy

14. Public Image

15. Spin the Black Circle

16. Porch

17. Alive

18. Yellow Ledbetter

http://pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announce-release-live-ten-legs

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:41 am »
Interesting song selection.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2011, 08:35:44 am »
Funnily enough 'Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" which is a ridiculous name for a song just came on the iPod.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2011, 08:54:14 am »
I've not listened to them much after the 'No code' album (which I absolutely love).
What would people recommend as a must listen from ther discography after 'No code'?

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2011, 08:59:13 am »
Interesting song selection.

Nothing off 'No Code' and quite heavily weighted towards their early stuff and latest album. Also includes a Joe Strummer cover in 'Arms Aloft' and a Public Image Ltd cover in 'Public Image'.

I would have liked to see a few more songs from their 1996-2005 period but understandable they've gone for the big hits plus recent songs. There is always their bootleg albums for the more avid fan.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:43 am »
I've not listened to them much after the 'No code' album (which I absolutely love).
What would people recommend as a must listen from ther discography after 'No code'?

Studio albums post ‘No Code’:

Yield: Think this continues the theme of No Code. Maybe less experimental than No Code but you can see the natural progression from No Code and their previous albums. Maybe a bit of a mix of styles of ‘No Code’ and ‘Vitalogy’ to be honest.

Binaural: For a Pearl Jam album, I think this is a pretty melodic album. A lot of slower songs compared to what you would expect from a Pearl Jam album. If you like tacks like ‘Off he Goes’ and ‘Present Tense’ from No Code then you’ll find tracks in a similar vein on Binaural – ‘Sleight of Hand’ and ‘Of the Girl’ come to mind. Took me a while to get into this album but now think it is one of their most under rated albums.

Riot Act: I think this is their worst studio album. A lack of real stand out tracks and I’ve never really been to get into it properly. They didn’t really take a new direction, it’s just the songs aren’t as good in my opinion.

Pearl Jam: Back to a more standard rock sound than the previous few albums. I actually think this is their best studio album  out of the latest 3.

Backspacer: More of a poppier, punkier sound in places on this album. It’s OK and probably easier to get in to than some of their previous albums. I just think it lacks a little bit of depth to be an album that I will pick up in 5 years time and still like.

Live albums:

There is a few but I love ‘Live at Benaroya Hall’. I think it was recorded 2003 so includes a lot of Binaural and No Code work. It’s an acoustic album in essence and the songs work so well when stripped down.

For me, I would recommend either Yield, Biaural or Live at Benaroya Hall (if you like a more acoustic laid back Neil Young-esque sound).

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2011, 09:37:23 am »
Thanks a lot Jookie :)

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2011, 10:18:30 am »
Best songs are "Once"...."Jeremy"...."Alive"....and "Even Flow"
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2011, 10:22:52 am »
My favourites are 'Black' and 'Daughter'. Although I'm not a big fan, those are two unreal songs
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
Best songs are "Once"...."Jeremy"...."Alive"....and "Even Flow"

Big fan of 'Ten' then? No arguing that Ten is there most successful record, and contains a lot of the Pearl Jam crowd pleasers. For me, there is some hidden gems across some of the other albums -  In my Tree from No Code, Immortality from Vitalogy, Unemployed from Pearl Jam, Light Years from Binaural, Wishlist off Yield to name just 5.

If you aren't familar with Pearl Jam's work it's easy to view them as the band that brought out Ten and Vs. The albums since then he definitely been more experimental and slightly away from the standard classic rock/grunge sound. To me it means they've grown into a better band, abliet a less successful one because of the approach they took.

In saying all that my favourite all time Pearl Jam song is 'Garden'...which is actually on Ten!!

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2011, 12:00:46 pm »
Thanks a lot Jookie :)

No worries. Would be good to hear if anyone agrees with my analysis, though I'm not sure how many people have bought Pearl Jam albums beyond  Vs.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »
No worries. Would be good to hear if anyone agrees with my analysis, though I'm not sure how many people have bought Pearl Jam albums beyond  Vs.

As a self confessed addict who owns more than his fair share of PJ stuff ill agree with your reviews and reccomendations too,yield,binaural and no code,followed by live at the garden on dvd and benaroya hall for a live album would be mine for any new listeners.
the experimental stuff or the 'underground' stuff is by far the best and made all the hardcore fanbase what it is today,hardcore! The early albums like ten and vs are timeless classics that cant be touched. The later albums like avocado and backspacer are good rocking albums but dont stand up that well as a body of work compared to the early stuff.

Plus all the bootlegs you can get,some are truly amazing,there is a box-set called live at the gorge and i seriously urge anyone to buy it,most of the PJ catalogue over several discs and all live and raw as hell!!

Dont think they will be over this way anytime soon,they are planning their own festival in mid-america this year,they are rumoured to be picking their own line-up which could include AIC,soundgarden,mudhoney,sleater kinney,sonic youth...to name but a few.....a bank job is in order to fund this if true.......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:25:40 pm by The Sky I Scrape »

Henry Rollins

Offline The Rawker

• Main Stander
  • MUYA
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2011, 03:38:52 pm »
Pearl Jam are one of my all time favourite bands.  Backspacer IMO is as good as anything that went before, if not better.  These guys just get better with age. 

If I had to pick an all time favourite song it would definitely be a toss up between 'Off he goes' (No Code) or 'Come back' (pearl Jam).  PJs ballads are sublime.

Vedder's solo album was a masterpiece also. (soundtrack for the film into the wild). Hope he produces another one soon.
Fuck it all and fuckin' no regrets

\m/

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:55 pm »
Live On Ten Legs is available on the usual places already, downloaded it a couple of days ago.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »
Live On Ten Legs is available on the usual places already, downloaded it a couple of days ago.

Any good?

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2011, 05:11:16 pm »

there is a box-set called live at the gorge and i seriously urge anyone to buy it,most of the PJ catalogue over several discs and all live and raw as hell!!

Forgot about 'Live at the Gorge'. That's an excellent live album that covers 3 of their shows at The Gorge. For someone coming new to Pearl Jam it might be a bit duanting to be faced with 3 live albums at once, and about 60 new songs in one go. As a Pearl Jam fan though, this album will give you a great feel for what they are like live.

Really like the alternative version of Garden on that album ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzEUdT99E_s

Plus their version of I believe in miracles by The Ramones (the acoustic version from Benaroya Hall is linked below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK7QUn6OHSU

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #151 on: February 5, 2011, 10:26:47 am »
http://grungereport.net/?p=2601

our new owners have very good taste!! they should then play anfield next methinks...... with fans as guests.....ahem.

Henry Rollins

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »
Probably old news for some but Eddie Vedder is bringing out a solo ukulele album next month. Should be an interesting listen.

http://www.nme.com/news/pearl-jam/55608

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2011, 07:47:56 pm »
http://vimeo.com/pearljamofficial/pearljamtwentytrailer

Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo!! cant fookin wait for this!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:50:15 pm by The Sky I Scrape »

Henry Rollins

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »
Just started the book , part of the 20 years releases.

Fantastic piece of work , photos and artwork on every other page as well as an in depth written history.Recommend it to every fan.

The CD should be great as well , lots of demos and live stuff , including the Mother Love Bone track Crown Of Thorns.What a great time to be a Pearl Jam fan.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »
So did anyone go and watch the Cameron Crowe directed PJ20 documentary?

Heard it's amazing.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »
I've been listening to loads of Pearl Jam for the last month or so, from Ten up to Binaural so far.

Ten and Vs are obviously great, just classics, and I love Vitalogy too, such a weird, experimental album and so different. No Code has some beautiful melodic moments, could listen to Off He Goes all day. I like Yield too, the tracks that just rock out at the start particularly. But Binaural was hard work, starts well then drops off badly with some dire stuff towards the end. Struggling to get past that and start on Riot Act.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2011, 01:46:46 am »
Saw the film tonight,absolutely amazing documentary,very well paced and full of rare stuff and insights. A few things i would have liked to be touched on more like yield and no code were hardly mentioned,and avocado and backspacer too but cant do it all in just over two hours can ye?!

All in all one of the finest music docs ive ever witnessed!! But i would say that!

Henry Rollins

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:11 pm »
Heard a new track from them yesterday alled Ole, which was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNFzCshEvM
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2011, 12:32:02 pm »
Heard a new track from them yesterday alled Ole, which was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNFzCshEvM

Never been a fan of Pearl Jam (more of a soundgarden man), but thats a pretty good track. The chorus reminds me of a track off the first Nickleback Album though.