Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 215242 times)

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
Re: Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #2080 on: April 5, 2023, 06:44:44 pm »
Who?  :o

Well, he tried to swap Hendo for Dempsey - and I always got the impression that he didn't fancy Bobby.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2081 on: April 5, 2023, 07:07:14 pm »
He made Hendo captain, and he had Bobby for like a week.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2082 on: April 5, 2023, 07:32:51 pm »
He made Hendo captain, and he had Bobby for like a week.

So... he didn't try to offload Hendo then?

And Bobby signed in the summer break of 2015 - Rodgers left in the October - so, NOT 'a week' (yes, I realise you were exaggerating for effect).

So, I stand by my thoughts. He tried to offload Hendo and didn't really fancy Bobby.

:)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2083 on: April 5, 2023, 07:35:29 pm »
Well, he tried to swap Hendo for Dempsey - and I always got the impression that he didn't fancy Bobby.

It’s of course a well known fact he never wanted Bobby.

Anyway, the way things are going with Chelsea, Rodgers got a good chance of walking into that job next season  :P  He used to work for them didn’t he?

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2084 on: April 5, 2023, 07:38:41 pm »
It’s of course a well known fact he never wanted Bobby.

Anyway, the way things are going with Chelsea, Rodgers got a good chance of walking into that job next season  :P  He used to work for them didn’t he?

Yeah, with the youth team(s).

He's a shoe-in.  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2085 on: April 5, 2023, 07:46:08 pm »
So... he didn't try to offload Hendo then?

And Bobby signed in the summer break of 2015 - Rodgers left in the October - so, NOT 'a week' (yes, I realise you were exaggerating for effect).

So, I stand by my thoughts. He tried to offload Hendo and didn't really fancy Bobby.

He did and then made him captain after Stevie, so just don’t really think ‘he didn’t rate him’ stacks up.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2086 on: April 5, 2023, 07:50:44 pm »
He did and then made him captain after Stevie, so just don’t really think ‘he didn’t rate him’ stacks up.

I stand by my thoughts. He tried to offload Hendo and didn't really fancy Bobby.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: April 5, 2023, 07:50:46 pm »
But surely Rodgers' track record in the PL since then shows that season was something of a fluke?  An (almost) perfect storm?

His inability to build on that season - that the Suarez money was not spent wisely, that he didn't rate players who became stalwarts under his successor, that he now has a clear track record of starting well but deteriorating as time goes by - does that not open up his one "successful" season with us to greater scrutiny?

It was fun at the time, but ended in a gut wrenching fashion. For me, it needs perspective and the greater context of what Brendan has achieved in his managerial career.

I do kind of agree with you that 2013/2014 was perfect storm but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves from some of our fans about that season, mainly because they tend to put most of it down to Suarez being unplayable that year.

Also, his track record in England is pretty good no? He got Swansea promoted and comfortably stayed in the Premier League with them. He did ok with us initially before 2013/2014 but then it did kind of fall apart. And an FA Cup and 2 5th place finishes with Leicester before things went pear shaped.

I have doubts about some facets of his ability - namely whether he can stay at a club long enough to be consistently successful, signing players and how he deals with adversity when his teams are on the slide. Also, for someone who gets criticised for being arrogant, when things start to go wrong, that's when he seems most unsure of himself, changing players and formations regularly in the hope of stumbling onto something successful.

But, I don't know, I still think he's a talented coach despite those flaws. If Chelsea hired him say, I think he'd have an immediate impact there this season and next.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2088 on: April 5, 2023, 08:14:27 pm »
I do kind of agree with you that 2013/2014 was perfect storm but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves from some of our fans about that season, mainly because they tend to put most of it down to Suarez being unplayable that year.

Also, his track record in England is pretty good no? He got Swansea promoted and comfortably stayed in the Premier League with them. He did ok with us initially before 2013/2014 but then it did kind of fall apart. And an FA Cup and 2 5th place finishes with Leicester before things went pear shaped.

I have doubts about some facets of his ability - namely whether he can stay at a club long enough to be consistently successful, signing players and how he deals with adversity when his teams are on the slide. Also, for someone who gets criticised for being arrogant, when things start to go wrong, that's when he seems most unsure of himself, changing players and formations regularly in the hope of stumbling onto something successful.

But, I don't know, I still think he's a talented coach despite those flaws. If Chelsea hired him say, I think he'd have an immediate impact there this season and next.

He's clearly the best of the rest, but his best isn't anywhere near as good as people seem to think it is. At least as far as I'm concerned. He's not a legacy manager. Maybe it's something he picked up from working with Mourhino at Chelsea, but he seems to be a similar "3 season" manager.

Yes, Rodgers won the FA Cup with Leicester. Wigan won it too, against City no less. So did Portsmouth. Rodgers didn't win it with us. Admittedly, our record in the domestic cups has been pretty crap in recent years, but then we were gunning for titles and European Cups.

I was chatting with a Man United fan yesterday. A pretty nice young lad, quite level headed about his footie. He asked me, "at what point is it 'Klopp out'?", and I replied "Never."  I said that because Klopp has proved himself and (should have at least) earned the goodwill of the supporters. What's happening is not entirely under his control, and he only has a few seasons left with us in any case.

Rodgers, on the other hand, just lost the plot completely - for many of the reasons you yourself described. Yes, we didn't have the resources we have now, but we were still at a point where £50m for a player was a lot of money rather than a clever bit of business.

He is, as you say, pretty good. But pretty good is not what LFC have ever wanted to aspire to - even though it was a big improvement on the "pretty fucking dire" that had preceded it. And I think that might be why people have such fond memories of him.

In that sense, Rodgers WAS a step up; after the dark years under Hodgson, and the stuttering under Dalglish, 13-14 was a breath of fresh air. But from almost a decade in the future, I view it differently now. Rodgers showed that he was never going to be the destination.

Did Rodgers put the club on a footing where Klopp was interested in taking over, or was that just the club and FSG making an excellent sales pitch? I don't know, but kudos to him if that's what transpired.

I'm not trying to demean Rodgers' achievements. But people seem intent on really bigging him up. I've just not seen anything to suggest he's much more than an above-average journeyman manager, who could just as likely relegate you as win you something.

By British standards, you could say he's very good. But by European standards, as I said, he's above average. I don't see that as a controversial statement, but I'll say no more as I won't want to drag the thread in circles any longer.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 08:20:03 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2089 on: April 5, 2023, 08:40:01 pm »

The post that follows this is sadly typical of what RAWK is becoming. The guy you're arguing with simply cannot assimilate the point you've made about Henderson being made captain by Rodgers.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2090 on: April 5, 2023, 08:44:33 pm »
The post that follows this is sadly typical of what RAWK is becoming. The guy you're arguing with simply cannot assimilate the point you've made about Henderson being made captain by Rodgers.

I 'assimilated' it just fine.

Maybe you should go back and actually read the chain of the posts? (Start with Red Beret's post - re: stalwarts) -  Or don't, I don't care either way.

(People can have a difference of opinion without the drama of "sadly typical of what RAWK is becoming." - surely?)
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 08:50:21 pm by A Red Abroad »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2091 on: April 5, 2023, 09:55:31 pm »
He's clearly the best of the rest, but his best isn't anywhere near as good as people seem to think it is. At least as far as I'm concerned. He's not a legacy manager. Maybe it's something he picked up from working with Mourhino at Chelsea, but he seems to be a similar "3 season" manager.

Genuine question here on the bolded bit. Who is? Ferguson, Wenger, Klopp are the 3 that come to mind. Moyes at Everton? This idea of a manager staying at a club for years and years and years doesn't wash anymore. It's such a rare thing in football nowadays that it's basically non-existent so how is it something to use against him?

He'll be remembered at at least 3 of his clubs. Us for pushing that team to winning the league, Celtic for going unbeaten and winning back to back trebles (regardless of some still bitching about him taking a bigger job), and Leicester for winning their 1st ever FA Cup. I think he'll be pretty happy with that 'legacy' when he comes to retire

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2092 on: April 5, 2023, 10:07:19 pm »

Agreed.

Phuk yoo

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2093 on: April 5, 2023, 10:21:02 pm »
Genuine question here on the bolded bit. Who is? Ferguson, Wenger, Klopp are the 3 that come to mind. Moyes at Everton? This idea of a manager staying at a club for years and years and years doesn't wash anymore. It's such a rare thing in football nowadays that it's basically non-existent so how is it something to use against him?

He'll be remembered at at least 3 of his clubs. Us for pushing that team to winning the league, Celtic for going unbeaten and winning back to back trebles (regardless of some still bitching about him taking a bigger job), and Leicester for winning their 1st ever FA Cup. I think he'll be pretty happy with that 'legacy' when he comes to retire
Yep, I agree with this. Could you add Swansea to the list? They seemed to enjoy their footy under Brendan.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2094 on: April 5, 2023, 10:21:17 pm »

Maybe Celtic or Leicester will remember him differently to Liverpool fans, as certainly individual Liverpool fans remember him differently. Rodgers' legacy at Liverpool was "almost winning something". Apparently, that's enough these days.

Popcorn's Art

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2095 on: April 5, 2023, 10:28:17 pm »

Maybe Celtic or Leicester will remember him differently to Liverpool fans, as certainly individual Liverpool fans remember him differently. Rodgers' legacy at Liverpool was "almost winning something". Apparently, that's enough these days.

Did Rodgers kill your cat or something?

Phuk yoo

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2096 on: April 5, 2023, 10:37:08 pm »

I think I've been very fair in my assessment. I've not been personal about it, and I feel I've been objective. Good memories about one season is not a legacy in my opinion.

Popcorn's Art

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2097 on: April 5, 2023, 10:44:12 pm »
I never understood why he gets so much anger/hate from our fans. His personality may be strange at times or whatever you call it, but he has always been respectful when talking about us.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2098 on: April 5, 2023, 10:54:00 pm »
Klopp following him here certainly makes it harder for Rodgers, but he's overall a very good coach.

Rodgers has an issue that many good managers have:  the management style overall and connection with the club.  This is in direct contrast to Klopp.

From Mainz to Dortmund to Liverpool, Klopp's ability to connect with the club and to manage downwards (players) and upwards (senior management) is legendary.  He does not complain outwardly about transfers (go look at Conte and Mourinho).  He wins players over and keeps them engaged (not even Ancelotti has consistently managed this).  The BVB brass loved him so much that Zorc (or Watzke) wished they got rid of all the players instead.  They've had 6 managers in 8 years since, and I'm willing to bet none of them are as easy to work with off the pitch and can produce similar results (must've gotten a shock when Tuchel, a very competent but difficult manager, was the replacement).  FSG isn't going to find another manager that is this good to work with either.

Rodgers, on the other hand, just wasn't as good at managing the personnel, and he fell into the same trap as almost every other modern manager here (remember all the leaks about signings, transfer committee, etc).  He wanted a lot of control (understandable), but this ultimately led to clashes.  As soon as results dipped, the blame game got into the discourse.  After his third season here, he really didn't have a true base of support anymore.  Sacking Pascoe also looked like scapegoating (rightly or wrongly).

I rate him and would be interested to see how he gets on at another club after his learnings, but for example, can you really see him successfully managing Spurs players' egos and Levy at the same time?  But then again, that's a tough task for any manager.

Rodgers ends up on the merry-go-around like so many other competent managers (but struggles to stick around), and when compared to Klopp, it looks bad.  But that's a high bar.
King Kenny.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2099 on: April 5, 2023, 10:56:54 pm »
I never understood why he gets so much anger/hate from our fans. His personality may be strange at times or whatever you call it, but he has always been respectful when talking about us.

Something to do with those envelopes methinks. ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2100 on: April 5, 2023, 11:01:55 pm »

Well I'm not angry at him, or hate him. I agree with you such feelings are irrational. He's a football manager, not Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2101 on: April 5, 2023, 11:57:44 pm »
As for Henderson - you mean the guy Rodgers wanted to offload to Fulham?

Why don't we listen to what Hendo himself has to say?
“I can remember it like it was yesterday,” Henderson said on BT Sport’s Between the Lines. “It was just before we played Hearts at Anfield. I had a conversation with Brendan [Rodgers] in the hotel the day of the game, and to be fair to Brendan, he gave me the option, it was more the club that was willing to let me go.

“Brendan said ‘listen, it is down to you. You are not going to be starting as much as you would like but I will try to help you improve on what you need to improve on. You’re still young and if you do that then maybe you’ll get more game time’.

“I sort of said straightaway: ‘I ain’t going anywhere. I will do everything I can to get in the team and I will prove people wrong’.

“From that moment, everyday in the gym I’d give everything, everyday on the training pitch, I’d give everything. Brendan helped me a lot tactically. I was good at box-to-box, I was very physical, and decent technically, but the tactical elements I wasn’t really taught that much.

“He showed me positioning, where he wanted us with and without the ball, and I felt that helped us understand football even more. From that moment on, I just grew in confidence as time went on.”
And although he played Bobby, did he know how to use him?
Firmino was signed as a number 10/second forward and played there by Rodgers as he was by Klopp for his first 18 months, until we signed Mane and Salah as goalscoring wide forwards. Bobby was fit for six games under Rodgers, who said this after his debut:
"You see his quality. He is really bright on the ball, has got wonderful technique and has got the ability to want to get forward and score a goal.
Doesn't sound like much of a condemnation to me. Again, Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho have all gone out of their way to praise Rodgers. Is he Klopp? Of course not, but that doesn't mean he didn't hugely improve the team and take a vastly more expensive City squad to the wire. Even the much maligned 2014-15 team had a better points-per-game record than the current season, and that's when Moreno, Mignolet, Skrtel and a 34-year old Gerrard were starters.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2102 on: April 6, 2023, 12:01:26 am »
Why don't we listen to what Hendo himself has to say?Firmino was signed as a number 10/second forward and played there by Rodgers as he was by Klopp for his first 18 months, until we signed Mane and Salah as goalscoring wide forwards. Bobby was fit for six games under Rodgers, who said this after his debut:Doesn't sound like much of a condemnation to me. Again, Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho have all gone out of their way to praise Rodgers. Is he Klopp? Of course not, but that doesn't mean he didn't hugely improve the team and take a vastly more expensive City squad to the wire. Even the much maligned 2014-15 team had a better points-per-game record than the current season, and that's when Moreno, Mignolet, Skrtel and a 34-year old Gerrard were starters.

Fair enough.

That ^ is actually really good to know (read).

Thanks.

PS: I'm not a Rodgers 'hater' by any stretch. 'That season' was enjoyably bonkers.

I realise you're replying to Red Beret - but I shared his opinion too.

I was just replying to El Lobo. It appears my 'perception' of Brendan's relationship with Hendo and Bobby was ill-informed - I guess I'm not alone in this though. The same misconception has been reported many times.

So... happy to apologise to El Lobo - hopefully he will accept it.

Peace.

« Last Edit: April 6, 2023, 12:15:49 am by A Red Abroad »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2103 on: April 6, 2023, 12:11:21 am »

Klopp apparently killed Woodendork's...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: April 6, 2023, 12:16:11 am »
Klopp apparently killed Woodendork's...

;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2105 on: April 6, 2023, 06:30:16 am »
What is becoming more common on these boards is the idea that people/managers/players aren't allowed change their minds after seeing some evidence.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2106 on: April 6, 2023, 07:54:00 am »
What is becoming more common on these boards is the idea that people/managers/players aren't allowed change their minds after seeing some evidence.

It's the modern day football supporter. We all think we know better than the manager even though we're not on the training ground day in day out, the dressing room, the touchline, analysing all the data after the game, watching the specific video of players with the help of tech guys the club employs, talking it through with other coaching staff who have actually played the game at a professional level etc

Who's to say that Henderson possibly being moved on wasn't the boot in the arse he needed. The memory of it has kept him driven for 10 odd seasons. Always knowing if even he drops his standards, there's the possibility he won't be here for much longer. Worked a treat if you ask me.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #2107 on: April 6, 2023, 08:43:16 am »
Something to do with those envelopes methinks. ;D

The capitulation against Real Madrid when he benched a club legend didn’t help either, it meant the fans knew he didn’t get what Liverpool was about. When you hear interviews about how much Gerrard was working behind the scenes with players I am surprised he doesn’t get more credit for the nearly season. I read somewhere on Rawk that he recently said he would have endured another half season with Rodger’s for one season with Klopp. Gutted for him he missed the chance.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2108 on: April 6, 2023, 08:50:16 am »

I remember Rodgers for being manager at the time of some of the maddest games of football we have been in.

We had that 11 game winning streak, scoring at least 3 in 10 of them. The fact that we went to Palace knowing we probably needed the goal difference to have a chance of the title... and we actually went for it is hilarious and sums up the attacking intent of the team at the time.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2109 on: April 6, 2023, 09:07:11 am »
Why don't we listen to what Hendo himself has to say?Firmino was signed as a number 10/second forward and played there by Rodgers as he was by Klopp for his first 18 months, until we signed Mane and Salah as goalscoring wide forwards. Bobby was fit for six games under Rodgers, who said this after his debut:Doesn't sound like much of a condemnation to me. Again, Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho have all gone out of their way to praise Rodgers. Is he Klopp? Of course not, but that doesn't mean he didn't hugely improve the team and take a vastly more expensive City squad to the wire. Even the much maligned 2014-15 team had a better points-per-game record than the current season, and that's when Moreno, Mignolet, Skrtel and a 34-year old Gerrard were starters.

That's fair enough on the players. Thanks for sharing  :thumbup

I'd say the simplest explanation for 13-14 was that we did a Leicester, except we weren't dealing with a league in transition. We were a top six side where everything clicked, as evidenced by our league position before and after.

Re 14-15 vs today, back then it was Gerrard who finally ran out of steam, whereas this season several players appear to have hit the wall. Plus, as ever, injuries.

13-14 was a memorable season to be sure. But I have better memories since then that put that season, and Rodgers, in a better context. So I'll leave it there.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2110 on: April 6, 2023, 11:17:22 am »
Fair enough.

That ^ is actually really good to know (read).

Thanks.

PS: I'm not a Rodgers 'hater' by any stretch. 'That season' was enjoyably bonkers.

I realise you're replying to Red Beret - but I shared his opinion too.

I was just replying to El Lobo. It appears my 'perception' of Brendan's relationship with Hendo and Bobby was ill-informed - I guess I'm not alone in this though. The same misconception has been reported many times.

So... happy to apologise to El Lobo - hopefully he will accept it.

Peace.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2111 on: April 6, 2023, 11:39:34 am »
Was checking the reaction to his time at Leicester:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/131363-brendan-rodgers-sacked-official/page/34/#comments

They mostly detest him.

Leaving them in the relegation zone engendering such a reaction you can understand, but overall you can see the complaints we had over his level / contributions as a coach resurfacing.

On paper, still a decent job I suppose, the FA Cup win being special.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2112 on: April 6, 2023, 11:43:41 am »
The problem is he probably should have gone at a few points last season, and certainly should have after about ten games of this season. Its been a long time coming so he's certainly not going to be Mr Popular now they've finally pulled the trigger. And the rumours of them not being able to afford to sack him probably haven't helped. Been very messy for a good 18 months.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2113 on: April 6, 2023, 11:54:02 am »
I only watched the highlights but Vardy looks really poor.  It's not all that surprising considering he's a 36-year old whose game was largely based around explosive pace.  He's still got another season after this one on his £140k/week contract as well!

Apparently Rodgers refusing to pick Vardy was one of the issues but on that one he looks to be completely right, even if Iheanacho and Daka aren't themselves up to much either.

Assuming they lose Tielemans and Maddison this summer they have already got a pretty much readymade Championship squad.  I'm not a big fan of Rodgers but they've got a squad that looks like it's a bottom half one but fans who think they should be in the top four.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2114 on: April 6, 2023, 11:56:33 am »
The problem is he probably should have gone at a few points last season, and certainly should have after about ten games of this season. Its been a long time coming so he's certainly not going to be Mr Popular now they've finally pulled the trigger. And the rumours of them not being able to afford to sack him probably haven't helped. Been very messy for a good 18 months.

Yeah true. Looking at the threads there it looks like they've sacked him without a succession plan either, with two coaches filling in and Martin O'Neill (!) now tenuously linked

« Last Edit: April 6, 2023, 12:05:45 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: April 6, 2023, 05:06:58 pm »
Was checking the reaction to his time at Leicester:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/131363-brendan-rodgers-sacked-official/page/34/#comments

They mostly detest him.

Leaving them in the relegation zone engendering such a reaction you can understand, but overall you can see the complaints we had over his level / contributions as a coach resurfacing.

On paper, still a decent job I suppose, the FA Cup win being special.
"I suppose" seems harsh to me. 2 5th place finishes and an FA Cup is very good going for Leicester even if those 5ths should have been 4ths and it went to shit in the end.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #2116 on: April 6, 2023, 05:26:29 pm »
The weirdest thing about Brendan is his instincts are his own worst enemy. He seems really good when he has to improvise and try to attack but as soon as things start going badly he reverts to a type of football that is terrible unless you're at a relegation type level. I can't speak for any of his time at Celtic but he seemingly never learns that playing dour defensive possession football is bad and gives bad results. This current Leicester team for instance are seemingly built to play in transition but that would expose them defensively so he won't do it. Ndidi never recovering from his injuries has been a big blow as well. Tielemanns and Dewsberry-Hall together are like having two Joe Allen's on the field. A lot of pretty passing but no ball winning or anything else.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2117 on: April 6, 2023, 05:32:22 pm »
Rodgers has more about him then frauds like allardyce, Hodgson and dyche.

Reminds me of ranieri pre league win a bit. Gets close but not close enough.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2118 on: April 8, 2023, 04:28:48 pm »
The board haven't backed him at Leicester at all.

They admittedly didn't spend much last summer, but the owners businesses (travel retail) were massively impacted by lockdowns and they've upgraded their training ground. Leicester also made a club record loss for 21/22. But he was given plenty to spend. Their wage bill has ballooned in recent years. As usual with Rodgers, his eye for a player in the market is suspect. Tielemans and Fofana are probably the only two successes he had while at Leicester.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2119 on: April 8, 2023, 05:09:03 pm »
They've been complacent sticking with him too long and then they give his staff a few games in charge..we know from his time here he doesn't have the strongest coaching staff. Now they're after another failure in Marsch.

The difference with Everton is they got shut of Lampard in time and then got Dyche who'll see them fight their way to a few wins. Southampton and Leicester have made a right pigs ear of it (sticking with Rodgers, appointing Nathan Jones). And Forest are just woeful.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season