Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4163075 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #54600 on: November 25, 2017, 04:43:35 pm »
  Rigondeaux time!

Really hope he's carried more of his power up than would reasonably be expected. Not been this excited for a fight for a long while. Great way to end the year.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54601 on: November 25, 2017, 11:20:45 pm »
Really hope he's carried more of his power up than would reasonably be expected. Not been this excited for a fight for a long while. Great way to end the year.
  Yea this is the fight I have been looking forward to most this year along with Ward v Kovalev.  It can't fail to be good,  could be a classic.   Fancy Rigondeaux do the business at the bigger weight,   he's looking in great shape,  just hope he's not over trained,   if he has Lomachenko will take him apart in the late rounds.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54602 on: November 26, 2017, 02:32:00 am »
Lomochenko is the clear favourite but I would love for Rigondeaux to win.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54603 on: November 26, 2017, 02:21:20 pm »
Is this the same Tyson Fury that got put on his arse by USS Cunningham? I'm not so sure he's giving anyone a boxing lesson, I think that Wlad fight has made people forget that he wasn't exactly Floyd Mayweather at times.

That said, if he showed up in shape I think he could smother Joshua, spoil the fight, and sneak a decision. Not sure he'll ever be really back though.

This.

Fury prior to the Klitchko fight never looked all that. One fight has turned him into some wizard in the ring.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54604 on: November 26, 2017, 05:20:46 pm »
Lomochenko is the clear favourite but I would love for Rigondeaux to win.

If you step up 2 weight classes and beat the champ right away that's a hall of fame worthy achievement. If that champion happens to be the P4P #1 as well then I honestly don't know what to compare it to.

Can't see him doing it personally but if he does then we'll have seen something special.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54605 on: November 27, 2017, 10:43:06 pm »
Arrest Warrant Issued for Adrien Broner For Pushing Woman & KOing Man in Vegas (Video) http://bit.ly/2jrEm7r

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #54606 on: November 28, 2017, 01:01:29 am »
Yeah you c*nt.  ;)

Based on what though? Connor isn't a boxer, if he ever did KO any boxer never mind a legend of the sport then it would be farcical.  He coudn't take Floyd's punches he certainly won't take Pacman's.

I know i know! i was a bit drunk when i posted this! to be honest don't really know my reasoning, i guess thinking Manny was past it so maybe he would get caught going for the knockout  plus  Conor does have heavey hands MMA wise

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54607 on: November 28, 2017, 11:28:36 am »
Really good interview with Tyson by IFL that.

I feel sorry for him.
cyas

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54608 on: November 28, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »
If you step up 2 weight classes and beat the champ right away that's a hall of fame worthy achievement. If that champion happens to be the P4P #1 as well then I honestly don't know what to compare it to.

Can't see him doing it personally but if he does then we'll have seen something special.
  Yep,  it also shows how avoided Rigondeaux has been to have to jump up 2 weight divisions to get a meaningful fight . Bob Arum also mucked him about,   I hope Crawford who is p4p number 1 for me,  is not messed about in the same way in the future.   Almost all the top guys at 147 are with showtime,  so if Arum will not deal with them he will miss out on the big fights.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #54609 on: November 28, 2017, 08:36:37 pm »
Rigondeaux has been pretty much saying that in the run-up for this - calling out everyone he thinks is ducking him and saying that maybe, just maybe, if he wins this one then he'll get some credit. My head is telling me that Lomachenko's size is going to be too much for him but still can't quite bring myself to bet against Rigondeaux.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54610 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:10 am »
5 years since Flintoff's debut against that aid off opponent. Socrooked it was unreal

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #54611 on: December 1, 2017, 10:48:13 am »
5 years since Flintoff's debut against that aid off opponent. Socrooked it was unreal
Did he throw a punch after he decked Flintoff? I don't think he did.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54612 on: December 1, 2017, 01:13:02 pm »

Never mind that, how did he get 39 points in a 4 round fight when he lost the first round 10-8?  :duh

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54613 on: December 1, 2017, 02:22:49 pm »

He didn't  :o,crazy

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54614 on: December 1, 2017, 06:48:30 pm »
Let's see Wilder get out of this one again.  ;D

http://bbc.in/2nmhM5p

Luis Ortiz has been cleared to fight for the WBC world heavyweight championship after avoiding a ban for failing a drugs test.

The 38-year-old Cuban tested positive for the banned diuretics chlorothiazide and hydrochlorothiazide in September.

That saw his fight against WBC champion Deontay Wilder on 4 November postponed.

The World Boxing Council found Ortiz took the drugs for high blood pressure, but fined him $25,000 (Ł18,497) for failing to disclose he had taken them.

"Ortiz is available to compete in WBC-sanctioned events, and shall be confirmed in the WBC ratings in a position consistent with the recommendation of the WBC Ratings Committee," the WBC said in a statement.

Ortiz, who is unbeaten in 27 fights, was previously banned for eight months after testing positive for the banned steroid nandrolone in 2014.

Wilder extended his record to 39 wins as he defended his belt against Bermane Stiverne on 4 November in New York.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54615 on: December 1, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »
Why is Parker considered to have a good chin? Who's he fought that can actually bang? He's not been tested.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54616 on: December 2, 2017, 12:30:03 am »
Why is Parker considered to have a good chin? Who's he fought that can actually bang? He's not been tested.
Andy Ruiz was in terrible shape when he fought Parker but he could still hit hard and Paker took his shots well. So I think up to now he has a decent chin,   his problem will be his def is terrible and he will get hit to often against a Joshua or a Wilder,  so it won't matter how good his chin is.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54617 on: December 2, 2017, 12:37:23 am »

Great stuff by the WBC,   let a 2 time drug cheat of with a fine lol,  way to clean up the sport guys 😂

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #54618 on: December 2, 2017, 08:08:43 am »
  Great stuff by the WBC,   let a 2 time drug cheat of with a fine lol,  way to clean up the sport guys 😂

He made a mistake by not disclosing but he has been cleared of Peds so no problem from me

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54619 on: December 2, 2017, 08:50:57 am »
He made a mistake by not disclosing but he has been cleared of Peds so no problem from me
What he took can also be used as  masking agents for drug performance enhancing  drugs.  So when you have been done before,  its very sus to me. Getting fed up of these I was spiked and I forgot to declare what I was taken excuses for pros when they get caught.   Massive fan of Ortiz,  have always said he beats Wilder and Joshua, but if and when he does,  people are going to suspect he was on stuff and that's bad for the sport.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54620 on: December 2, 2017, 09:05:03 am »

Yep, because it was all Wilders fault the fight didn't go ahead in the first place......

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54621 on: December 2, 2017, 09:44:32 am »
Yep, because it was all Wilders fault the fight didn't go ahead in the first place......

Wilder team set Ortiz up just like they did Provktin,   come on get with the programme lad 😅😅

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54622 on: December 2, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
What he took can also be used as  masking agents for drug performance enhancing  drugs.  So when you have been done before,  its very sus to me. Getting fed up of these I was spiked and I forgot to declare what I was taken excuses for pros when they get caught.   Massive fan of Ortiz,  have always said he beats Wilder and Joshua, but if and when he does,  people are going to suspect he was on stuff and that's bad for the sport.

Better than the old 'uncastrated wild boar' excuse to be fair.

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #54623 on: December 2, 2017, 06:21:31 pm »
Miguel Cotto with his final fight tonight. Going to miss him, hell of a boxer who gave Mayweather his toughest fight. Reckon he would've given him more problems if he faced him before he faced Margarito.

I also see David Price is still trying to resurrect what's left of his career tonight

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54624 on: December 2, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »
Miguel Cotto with his final fight tonight. Going to miss him, hell of a boxer who gave Mayweather his toughest fight. Reckon he would've given him more problems if he faced him before he faced Margarito.

I also see David Price is still trying to resurrect what's left of his career tonight
Cotto is a future Hall of Famer for me.

Don't know why Price is bothering but then again, I don't have a boxer's mentality. Many of them don't know when to quit and it is so easy to criticise their decision from behind a keyboard!

However, it's hard to see what he will accomplish. He will batter a few journeymen but his chin or stamina will let him down again against better opponents. It's sad because it looked as if he would have a good career at one stage.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54625 on: December 2, 2017, 07:25:00 pm »

Yea going to miss  Co

Yea going to miss Cotto,  one of the best of his generation.  The Mayweather performance was very good,  tho I think Castillo gave him his toughest fight.

Good luck to Price tonight, it's on IFL youtube ch,.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #54626 on: December 2, 2017, 09:00:42 pm »
Good luck to Price tonight, it's on IFL youtube ch,.

Yeah good luck lad... top of the bill (6 rounds).. always thought he had no chin, flat footed. but he's a trier..  ;D
Price will walk out in front of a few hundred people at Brentwood Centre in Essex to face Kamil Sokolowski, an unheralded Pole who has lost 11 of his 17 fights..
here if you want to watch..  :-X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYchBQ9Jo_Q
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54627 on: December 2, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
A shot Oscer De la Hoya trouble MAyweather more than Cotto. But to be fair Floyd avoided a Light Welter Cotto like the plague,.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54628 on: December 3, 2017, 12:16:37 am »
Price looked awful!  :( Sad to say, he will be marmalised by the first good or even decent opponent he faces in 2018.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54629 on: December 3, 2017, 05:10:48 am »
Miguel Cotto ends his career with a defeat to some Saddam Ali, lost on points and looked shot.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54630 on: December 3, 2017, 07:22:41 am »
Price looked awful!  :( Sad to say, he will be marmalised by the first good or even decent opponent he faces in 2018.

Was really bad wasn't it. Needs to hang them up in my opinion could get seriously hurt if he picks the wrong opponent.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54631 on: December 3, 2017, 09:48:03 am »
  Yea he was really bad,   looked gased after the 3rd Round.    Can see him being badly hurt against anyone decent next year

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54632 on: December 3, 2017, 10:12:32 am »
Miguel Cotto ends his career with a defeat to some Saddam Ali, lost on points and looked shot.
Sad to see a great fighter lose to a C-level opponent but that happens so often in boxing. Unlike too many fighters, Cotto retires with a healthy bank balance, plenty of respect, a career to be proud of and most importantly, his faculties intact!

Btw, Rey Vargas is a very good fighter. Incidentally, I see him listed as 5ft 7in but he looks closer to 6ft!

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54633 on: December 3, 2017, 10:20:07 am »
Happy that Smith doesnt get the Cotto scalp

He'll beat Ali but he will probably cash out against brook

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54634 on: December 3, 2017, 01:18:32 pm »
Cotto lost to a fighter in his prime he'd have dismantled in 5 rounds.  :(

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54635 on: December 3, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »
Cotto lost to a fighter in his prime he'd have dismantled in 5 rounds.  :(
Yep, it would have resembled Cotto vs. Jennings. That's boxing for you. How many greats have lost to guys who they would have embarrassed in their prime.

Ali vs. Spinks
Tyson vs. McBride and Williams!!!
Ray Robinson against quite a few.
Roy Jones against Enzo and many more and the list goes on!

Mind you, Cotto battered no knees Maravilla so he can GTF  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54636 on: December 3, 2017, 06:22:48 pm »
Yep, it would have resembled Cotto vs. Jennings. That's boxing for you. How many greats have lost to guys who they would have embarrassed in their prime.

Ali vs. Spinks
Tyson vs. McBride and Williams!!!
Ray Robinson against quite a few.
Roy Jones against Enzo and many more and the list goes on!

Mind you, Cotto battered no knees Maravilla so he can GTF  ;D

James Toney holds the record for those results mate. He's got a loss to Jason Gavern on his record FFS.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54637 on: December 3, 2017, 06:36:58 pm »
James Toney holds the record for those results mate. He's got a loss to Jason Gavern on his record FFS.
Tyson vs Williams or McBride have to be close mate :D

Ray Robinson lost twice to someone called Stan Harrington! (Okay Harrington did lose a couple of world title bouts but still). Also a defeat to 45-15 Mick Leahy and he also lost to Terry Downes! Very sad to read his later record when you consider he was 132-1 at one stage!

Also found that the legendary Nino Benevenuti lost to a couple of journeymen near the end of his career. Remember, he won his first 65 fights!

This has the makings of a good discussion. Worst ever losses by past their prime legends  :o

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54638 on: December 4, 2017, 09:54:40 pm »
Luis Ortiz is fighting this Friday night on the PBC card against a journeyman called Daniel Martz.   Wilder has said today he wants the Ortiz fight on the same weekend as AJ faces Parker, should that fight be made.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #54639 on: December 5, 2017, 04:10:32 pm »
May 5th the new official date for Haye v Bellew.   No injuries please Haye.