Author Topic: Benitez "Failure to qualify for champions league won't effect summer spending"  (Read 9352 times)

Offline Lee-Block105

• Still refuses to sleep with the moderators to get a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 14
because we had fuck all to spend anyway!!!

From today's independent.

Rafael Benitez does not expect his Liverpool transfer kitty to be adversely affected if his club does not qualify for the Champions League this season – only because he has precious few funds to play with in the first place.

Benitez was advised at the start of the season that he could do little more than spend the money he generated, hence the purchases of Alberto Aquilani and Glen Johnson only once outgoing deals for Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa had been settled.

The manager has also spent a relatively small amount bringing Maxi Rodriguez and Sotirios Kyrgiakos to Merseyside yet he is anything but the last of the big spenders.

Not finishing fourth is currently unthinkable yet if they do not make it, he expects no reduction in his war chest only because he is determined not to miss what he never had.

"They [the owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks] told me before that it didn't make a big difference [if we don't qualify]. Every year that we have qualified for the Champions League it hasn't made a big difference so if we don't qualify this time I don't expect a big difference."

A failure to qualify for the Champions League would be a stark wake-up call to the fact that the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Aston Villa are now all genuine contenders. The hegemony of the old Big Four looks to be over – with Liverpool the principal victims – yet Benitez has not given up faith that a strong end of season can restore their position among the elite.

"It could go to the very end," he said. "I don't know which teams will be there. Hopefully it will be Liverpool and maybe another one but now there are four and maybe five teams involved so it is important to remain calm."

He also confirmed that Albert Riera's time at Anfield is almost up after he publicly criticised the Liverpool manager last week. Benitez said Riera could be sent out on loan.
Ticket Exchange Trade Count 300+

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Being discussed in the Liverpool main forum

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
its been locked now, maybe it will get moved here or locked permanently as it was a total crap posting by somebody who has been lockked away for nearly half a decade

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
because we had fuck all to spend anyway!!!

Correct.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
The American twats really do that the fucking biscuit. I guess I should be grateful we've still get a club with these two fucking idiots owning the club.

They make my fucking blood boil, sorry for the swearing but they have no interest in club and it eats me up!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
its been locked now, maybe it will get moved here or locked permanently as it was a total crap posting by somebody who has been lockked away for nearly half a decade

if that was aimed at me maybe you need locking up for nearly half a decade pal!

by the way technical point it is locked silly boy!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
So we havnt got "A big summer" to look forward to then?
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan

........................no.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
Presumably when Hick's mentioned the "big summer" he was referring to getting a great price for the club and fucking off. Twat.

I really hope that the Americans go in the summer, but sadly, no matter what happens, I can see them being here for a few years yet. I just hope Rafa outlasts them.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
I hope this gets sorted out soon.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Still will .. even though we have spent fuck all recently ... Just more negative spend than recently ..

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
In fairness, it is unlikely we will have money given our current situation, but even if we were to, I would expect rafa to come out with the same thing

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
Let's hope this new doctor we got in will keep our class players fit.  Would be like new signings.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
anyone know how much you get for winning europa cup ?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
anyone know how much you get for winning europa cup ?
3 free cups of tea from the Uefa vending machine i think it is?
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline liverpoolfan1970

• Anny Roader
  • Anarcho-Capitalist
seen this, not sure how accurate it is.

In short, the Europa League winners will get around £6.5m in prize money and TV cash. The Champions' Leauge winners get the thick end of £50m.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/villa-are-lucky-to-be-out-of-europa-league-1778904.html

The Champions League winner gets that amount of money true, but that's not the purse for winning.  That's the total for winning and all the stages they've progressed through.  I think the total for simply winning it is somewhere in the 20million quid range.  As for the UEFA Cup, I'm not sure if that amount counts all of the proceeds from progressing through the various stages.  Personally it sounds like the purse for simply winning it. 

As for Villa being lucky to be out, I'd say they were lucky to be in.  If they have aspirations to be bigger and to attract bigger names, then the attitude needs to change. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:55:25 pm by liverpoolfan1970 »
YNWA

Offline Matt Rankin

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Bottom Feeder.
Having those two american twats as owners will effect summer spending though.
Time is a factor and EMPTY seats is the answer...

Offline col64

• Anny Roader
We won`t win  europa cup as platini will not allow any prem league clubs be winners anymore , it time for europe to win things now !!!!!!

Offline Bosshog

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • what a hit son.....WHAT A HIT!!!!!!!
could be Rafa's arguement and reason for moving to Juve.

Start the transfer talk now and wen the yanks give him feck all (which we all know that will happen)
he can leave us and say they went back on promise.

bye Rafa
Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get!!

Homer Simpson

Offline GoldenAgger

• Anny Roader
These quotes are at least a month or two old.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens

Benitez plans to buy

Reds boss confesses he wants to make five summer signings

Last updated: 30th April 2010

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has admitted that he may need to buy almost half a new team in order to restore his club's fortunes after defeat in the Europa League semi-finals.

The Reds were dumped out of the continental competition at Anfield on Thursday night after losing on away goals following extra-time to Atletico Madrid, who will now face Fulham in the final.

Liverpool's last remaining target in an incredibly disappointing season is now an against-the-odds fight for fourth place in the Premier League and the pressure will be on Benitez if that objective is not met.

The Spaniard acknowledges the campaign has been a let down and he will hope new buyers for the club can be found in the summer in order to fund the recruitment of as many as five new players.

Benitez, who has already agreed a deal with Charlton for Jonjo Shelvey, confessed: "Someone said we needed four or five players. I would more or less agree with that. That is what we have to do.

"Liverpool is a massive club. There has been a change in the last two or three years. We have had to balance the books and manage in this way.

"I do not know whether I will have any funds. We will find out in the summer. But the name is there and we have to do our best for it."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6123917,00.html
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
of course we do we have a squad of 19 first team players over 21 once degen, aurelio, riera go

fully expect el zhar and yossi to leave out of that too and maybe kuyt or babel
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4

There is another quote with him saying something along the lines of it's gone to hell in the last 2-3 years. Everyone blames the owners, rightly so.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
There is another quote with him saying something along the lines of it's gone to hell in the last 2-3 years. Everyone blames the owners, rightly so.

From The Times
April 30, 2010
Tony Barrett

Rafael Benítez ducks questions about his future

Rafael Benítez refused to be drawn on speculation about his role as Liverpool manager after his team’s elimination from the Europa League last night.

Benítez is the subject of interest from Juventus, with the Italian club increasingly confident that they can convince the Spaniard to trade the Barclays Premier League for Serie A.

The shortcomings of Benítez’s squad were laid bare as he was forced to introduce Philipp Degen and Nabil El Zhar, players who have failed to impress, but the manager was unwilling to commit himself, preferring instead to focus on the two Barclays Premier League fixtures left this season.

“The future now is Chelsea and then it is Hull,” Benítez said. “I don’t know what will happen in the summer. Right now we have two more games and then we will see what happens.”

Benítez was more willing to expand on his views of what is necessary for Liverpool to become competitive in the Premier League next season, agreeing with Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina, who have both claimed that the club need to make up to five signings this summer if they are to stage a resurgence next season.

But he once again conceded that the financial restrictions placed on the club by the ownership regime of Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr could limit Liverpool’s ability to compete in the transfer market.

“Two or three players have said we need three, four or five players to progress and I agree with them,” Benítez said.

“It will be the same situation. Liverpool is a massive football club. We will try to do our best and the name of the football club is still there. But things have changed here. In the last two or three years we have become a company and we have to manage things in a different way.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article7112359.ece
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
I knew it, Thanks, Mongolian Red.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
the name of the football club is still there. But things have changed here. In the last two or three years we have become a company and we have to manage things in a different way

In a nutshell. I think, if they stay, he'll go - sounds as flat as if Tom had squashed him with his fat arse.

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
We can't predict the players coming in or budgets, or anything along those lines. Its time to look at our squad.  Players I would keep:-

Pepe, Johnson, Agger, Skrtyl, Aurelio, Stevie, Lucas, Masch, Aquas, Maxi, Babel, Torres, Pachecco,

Players I am torn on, and wouldn't be overly sad if they left, apart from one, but facts are facts -

Ngog, Insua, Sato, Carra (breaks my heart to say it, but he's made more defensive mistakes than anyone this year, he berates others, and I don't want to see one of my all time favourites to decline more than he has, but he still has an important role to play at the club in the future, and will), Cavallari,

Players to go with reasons -

Riera (even tho he's the best we have on the left, but there's been a total breakdown)

Benny (think we could keep him, but for me he doesn't have that sparkle he once had, he's become so workhorse like, and I believe why he holds a value, cash in on him - needs must.  I also don't think he's got a mentality that will win trophies)

Kuyt (same as benny, but also because Im sick of him standing in the way of players who I think would offer more going forward, also nearing 30, don't think he can offer us anymore than he has.  Also think he's been on bad runs of games that have lasted months where he should have been dropped but wasn't, don't think that helps others when he's played maybe 2 or 3 decent games this year.  I also don't think that helps him, he must not fear for his star ting position at all, and for his play, well I can't have been the only one to see the lack of it.  Keep him one more year, and he will sell in the low millions bracket, where's this year we could maybe sell him in the 6-8.  For me he is a player that shows how much Liverpool fans have dropped their demand for quality over substance.  Yes hes a workhorse and is a knightmare tov play against, but wouldn't you rather more quality and just keep the ball)

Degen (do you really need a reason)

Elzhar (never understood what he offers)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:38:56 am by stfabians »

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
In a nutshell. I think, if they stay, he'll go - sounds as flat as if Tom had squashed him with his fat arse.

Basically we are now brand Liverpool FC not Liverpool Football club! Sad state of affairs to be honest. I hope to Fowler that Rafa stays and the two idots in charge do one!
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
We can't predict the players coming in or budgets, or anything along those lines. Its time to look at our squad.  Players I would keep:-

aurelio is off becuase his contract is finished and doesnt want a 'pay as you play' so insua will deffo stay
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.