Author Topic: Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 799 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2024, 11:16:08 am »
Stop it mate Nunez hasn’t achieved what Owen has even comparing them at the same age, he’ll probably end up a better player due to Owen falling off due to injury but we don’t need to rewrite history, he was an elite player from 18- 23 and one of the better finishers around.

Ballon D'or winner, lest we forget.
How many English players get that?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2024, 11:17:15 am »
Doesn't mean Owen isn't wrong does it?

Before anyone says anything a young 5 year old lad in Australia (myself) had a Owen Jersey I even bloody had a back pack with him on it in a LFC kit lol.

Just doesn't change the fact his opinion was completely wrong, I can't even believe people are trying to justify it.

First thing he says Nunez doesn't change his trajectory running towards the goal when he clearly does..

I don’t agree with Owen, think his nitpicking.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2024, 11:28:36 am »
Get yourselves to about 36 seconds

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L14JdjrlMV4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L14JdjrlMV4</a>

Diogo is ahead of the ball (you can tell by the lines for the edge of the box, the ball is just behind it and Diogos knee is on it) so at the point that squaring the ball would have made the most sense, with the keeper committed, he can't square it otherwise its offside.

Then go back to about 14 seconds, and the same point but a different angle. The keepers cut off a lot of the right side of his goal, plus the ball would be bending away from goal considering its on Darwins right and his body shape would just naturally move the ball away from goal. So two of the 'easier' options are gone. And then slotting it to the keepers left isn't an easy finish.

That sort of one on one where you don't have an angle isn't as easy as made out. We've seen Alisson save plenty of those, you close down the attacker and its suddenly a lot trickier than if you were coming from the left or right. Christ alone knows why there's such a forensic analysis of a good finish, I guess thats peoples point all along that he's microanalysed to the nth degree compared to others. I can't fathom there even being a single mention of Haaland choosing the wrong option after scoring a goal. That ugly fucker at United scored a goal at the weekend by trying to get out of the way of a shot and got hailed as a genius FFS!

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2024, 11:34:06 am »
Get yourselves to about 36 seconds

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L14JdjrlMV4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L14JdjrlMV4</a>

Diogo is ahead of the ball (you can tell by the lines for the edge of the box, the ball is just behind it and Diogos knee is on it) so at the point that squaring the ball would have made the most sense, with the keeper committed, he can't square it otherwise its offside.

Then go back to about 14 seconds, and the same point but a different angle. The keepers cut off a lot of the right side of his goal, plus the ball would be bending away from goal considering its on Darwins right and his body shape would just naturally move the ball away from goal. So two of the 'easier' options are gone. And then slotting it to the keepers left isn't an easy finish.

That sort of one on one where you don't have an angle isn't as easy as made out. We've seen Alisson save plenty of those, you close down the attacker and its suddenly a lot trickier than if you were coming from the left or right. Christ alone knows why there's such a forensic analysis of a good finish, I guess thats peoples point all along that he's microanalysed to the nth degree compared to others. I can't fathom there even being a single mention of Haaland choosing the wrong option after scoring a goal. That ugly fucker at United scored a goal at the weekend by trying to get out of the way of a shot and got hailed as a genius FFS!

Halaand scored a good example of what Owen is talking about in the game against Brentford I think. Personally would like to see Nunez nail having that type of finish in his locker to use more consistently which I think was his point . However, being capable of pulling off what he did is sometimes necessary and good to see he did can because it's only going to serve him better in the future.

Nunez has missed a few one on ones in the exact same way where a keeper rushes out at the right time to close down the space. Alisson as mentioned also does this to good effect, and Kelleher has saved our hides a few times doing it.

Personally, I'm more a fan of rounding the keeper.  ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2024, 11:34:06 am »
that goal made me squeal with delight.

so I don't give a big smelly shit what he could, or should, or might, have done differently.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2024, 11:36:44 am »
Ballon D'or winner, lest we forget.
How many English players get that?

Does that mean he knows everything?

He'd be a manager then instead of being known as one of the worst pundits going round lol

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2024, 12:27:51 pm »
My take on that finish:

Is a slotted shot to the corner, the higher percentage shot, yes.

But, unpredictability puts doubt in the minds of defenders and goalkeepers.

As a goalkeeper myself, if I were facing Nunez, I'd hate it, I'd be overthinking everything knowing he's got every type of finish in his locker. Including the skier into row Z. The occasional finish like this is a good thing, even in the context of the game it being high risk.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2024, 12:35:10 pm »

so I don't give a big smelly shit what he could, or should, or might, have done differently.
My take too.

Rule number one: stick it in the onion bag. He did exactly that. I don't care if he was doing cartwheels at the time.

I hate seeing flair, instinct and unpredictability knocked out of a player. He didn't overthink it, he just went with his instinct. He created a thing of beauty while doing so. He gets 10/10 from me there. He's not a robot, and for that, I'm grateful.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2024, 12:35:40 pm »

Nicely summarised.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2024, 12:41:08 pm »
Nicely summarised.

Not even a whiff of dissent...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2024, 12:48:57 pm »

He'd be a manager then instead of being known as one of the worst pundits going round lol
No, it means he's a Ballon D'or winner.
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2024, 12:55:52 pm »

I guarantee Owen knows more than pretty much any ex-player on earth about finishing, when to shoot and where to place the ball. It's a very small portion of the game, but if there was one player in history I had to stake my life on being able to beat a random keeper one on one it's him.

But then, both things can be true. It can be a sublime finish and a bad decision at the same time. The ball went in though, so does it matter at this point?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2024, 12:57:35 pm »
I guarantee Owen knows more than pretty much any ex-player on earth about finishing, when to shoot and where to place the ball. It's a very small portion of the game, but if there was one player in history I had to stake my life on being able to beat a random keeper one on one it's him.

But then, both things can be true. It can be a sublime finish and a bad decision at the same time. The ball went in though, so does it matter at this point?

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2024, 12:57:58 pm »
Owen on Salah 2017

“They have pace either side. I can’t believe how many chances he makes. He isn’t an unbelievable finisher but he gets so many chances every game, his numbers are totting up,”

Owen is not the greatest analyst ....

Darwin is magic
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2024, 12:59:01 pm »
Do we think there's a chance that Jurgen was so digusted with the finish that he's not actually injured but kicked out of the squad for a while?

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2024, 12:59:53 pm »
Most ridiculously over assessed player i’ve ever seen, it’s out of control

No other player is getting comments like he does from all corners. Look at Hojlund, how many prem games without a single goal and did we see a single sky sports article or pre-match/post-match analysis of his finishing, lack of goals etc? Cant remembe a single one and yet for Nunez it was constant.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2024, 01:00:02 pm »
You couldn't make this stuff up, people are actually defending the Manc Owen 🤣

Rio Ferdinand won 6 league titles and a Champions League, does it mean we should all be paying attention to what he has to say? No, he's a gobshite who spouts utter nonsence, just like Owen. 

Should we ignore what Klopp says about players, after all his playing career was very average.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2024, 01:00:42 pm »
Do we think there's a chance that Jurgen was so digusted with the finish that he's not actually injured but kicked out of the squad for a while?

Nah think he was injured originally but is now fit however Klopp’s read Owen’s comments and agrees with  him so his punishment is he’s missing the final.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2024, 01:09:14 pm »
Owen on Salah 2017

Owen is not the greatest analyst ....

Darwin is magic
It's true though that Salah isn't an "unbelievable finisher" and wasn't in 2017.  Even though he went on to score 44 goals that season (16 more than Owen's best career season) he was missing lots of really good chances, particularly early on in the season which is presumably when Owen made the comment.

Salah is elite at creating chances for himself (and others).  If he had the same finishing ability as Owen or Fowler he would be hitting 40 goals every season.  He's a better footballer than either of them though, in my opinion.

I can't stand Owen as a pundit but when it comes to shot choice he should be given a bit of respect.  The Darwin finish was brilliant - maybe my favourite goal this season - but there's no way a goalscoring automaton like Owen or Haaland would have taken that shot choice over a much higher percentage finish.  That's part of why we all love Darwin though and that's not something a cold fish like Owen is going to be able to bring into his thinking.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2024, 01:12:24 pm »
No, it means he's a Ballon D'or winner.

Whats the context then?

I'd pick God mate personally

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2024, 01:17:49 pm »

I'd pick God mate personally
Yeah but Fowler would also choose to slide the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner rather than chipping them.....

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2024, 01:25:42 pm »
Love that goal, Ratboy Neville put on his arse....

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2024, 01:31:40 pm »
Whats the context then?
The context is: "Yet Owen thinks he is in a position to criticise them."

That is calling his ability and instinct into question.
I think Owen is wrong, BUT he, more than by far the most, is well within a position to criticize any striker- even Messi.

Personally, I think Darwin made the right decision at the right time and if you look at his rhythm, the way his body is positioned, and the fact that he's slowed down after that run- that was the perfect way to finish off that move.

Even Pickford vs. Haaland would easily thwart that(unless of course, it's vs. Origi, or it's squared), because any other striker(and it shows in Owen's assessment) will choose to either square it, or try to round the keepr, or try to score by striking it left or right.

But unfortunately, for that keeper, it was Darwin..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:51:24 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2024, 01:46:51 pm »
I guarantee Owen knows more than pretty much any ex-player on earth about finishing, when to shoot and where to place the ball.

That's a mindblowing statement.  :lmao
He wouldn't even know more than every ex Liverpool player, never mind any ex player on earth.

How can you possibly guarantee that he does?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2024, 01:49:54 pm »
The context is: "Yet Owen thinks he is in a position to criticise them."

That is calling his ability and instinct into question.
I think Owen is wrong, BUT he, more than by far the most, is well within a position to criticize any striker- even Messi.

Personally, I think Darwin made the right decision at the right time and if you look at his rhythm, the way his body is positioned, and the fact that he's slowed down after that run- that was the perfect way to finish off that move.

Even Pickford vs. Haaland would easily thwart that. (unless of course, it's vs. Origi, or it's squared)

But unfortunately, for that keeper, it was Darwin..

Okay that is fair enough to be honest, I agree with you.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2024, 01:50:55 pm »
Fuck Owen.

Ian Rush was the greatest ever finisher. Robbie was better than Owen too. Owen can fuck off back to OT the horsey shite.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2024, 01:57:36 pm »

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2024, 01:58:45 pm »
Owen is a vastly underestimated Liverpool player to be honest. It's always the same when ex players work in the media and say daft things but this is often the hurled back suggestion that he was never that good anyway, which is utter rubbish. Anyway this is Darwin's thread and there is a finisher inside him we all know that, he just has to channel it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 02:14:02 pm by Kloppage Time »
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2024, 02:13:58 pm »
Posted just now,  this I like
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1761030446085747139?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The positioning of his bottle is really bad, shouldnt have it sort of tucked under his arm. Fair chance he spills his Mate

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2024, 02:27:23 pm »
Owen is a vastly underestimated Liverpool player to be honest. It's always the same when ex players work in the media and say daft things but this is often the hurled back suggestion that he was never that good anyway, which is utter rubbish. Anyway this is Darwin's thread and there is a finisher inside him we all know that, he just has to channel it.
Yep, at one point- for at LEAST a year, he was the most feared striker in THE WORLD.
EVERYONE was talking about him or wanted him. Even some of my friends who weren't into football, was backing him to carry England to the WC(and we're not even English ;D ) and excitedly watched every England match... disappointing - as England is everytime, but people easily forget what a WORLD phenomenon this man was.

He had - again, the WORLD, at his feet - for at LEAST a year(and more) in his career. Salah/Suarez were the only ones at Liverpool since, who equalled that version of Michael Owen. Not even our own Fernando(I'm purposely forgetting the CHelsea-thing) - as deadly as he was, could equal Owen at his best.
Extremely underrated, with hindsight. A victim of his own doing and of the ravages of time.

But this is the Darwin thread, so let's not talk about Owen that much. He had his time and his chances.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 02:33:52 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2024, 02:31:04 pm »
The positioning of his bottle is really bad, shouldnt have it sort of tucked under his arm. Fair chance he spills his Mate
Think he should lob it, to be honest...
Piss off everyone.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2024, 03:14:31 pm »
I don't think Owen is wrong about Mo or Darwin generally, but I think he should over emphasize that Klopp doesn't coach forwards to be meticulous finishers. Seems obvious that Klopp coaches forwards to create myriad chances in transition and to press effectively. A very high volume of chances with above average finishing is a title-winning formula or worth 90+ points. Darwin might very well become a more elite finisher if that is the manager's emphasis in training. I reckon he would shoot to the percentages just like Owen suggests if he played for Pep or Ancelotti.   

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2024, 03:45:29 pm »

He's as thick as mince, and when he speaks the words are so boring, he makes Alan Shearer look like Liberace. There is a thread on Twitter of his sayings, including what he typed out to a model who sent him nude photos; extremely funny and pretty close
to Alan Partridge.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2024, 03:48:20 pm »
He's as thick as mince, and when he speaks the words are so boring, he makes Alan Shearer look like Liberace. There is a thread on Twitter of his sayings, including what he typed out to a model who sent him nude photos; extremely funny and pretty close
to Alan Partridge.

Which ever team scores more goals usually does win to be fair  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2024, 03:51:04 pm »
Can we fuck the Owen talk off to his thread (Presume he has one)

Darwin’s smiling that can only mean one thing

Chaos is coming to Anfield South this Sunday
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2024, 05:04:02 pm »
Not sure if Darwin’s in a calorie deficit today or not, but I’m hoping last night was a calculated decision rather than an enforced one.

On Owen’s comments, of course Owen is a bad dickhead but what he’s saying is absolutely fair, it’s a bizarre decision albeit a wonderfully executed one. It’s a joyous goal - for someone like me who cares very much about the aesthetics of goals - it’s glorious, but it’s also not much of a push to say that there were probably three higher-likelihood options, such as slotting Jota, or placing it either side of the keeper, who to his credit had closed the space. Regardless of how you spin it, it’s an odd finish. But it was incredible and I personally would trade a few frustrating misses - if they’re ultimately inconsequential - to be able to enjoy something like that regularly.

I'm on board with this. It wasn't the most obvious finish but he scored so who cares? It was a beautiful goal.

I saw Owen talking about this however and he was suggesting the reason Nunez isn't consistently scoring 30 goals a season is because he does this kind of thing consistently. But that's not really true. I'm struggling to think of many shots he's taken where I think he's made the wrong decision. It usually more just him missing. So I don't really know what Owen was getting at because his overall point was way off, regardless of the goal at Brentford.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2024, 05:05:25 pm »
including what he typed out to a model who sent him nude photos...

Did Southall have any comment?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2024, 05:13:52 pm »
to Alan Partridge.

'Married England legend Michael Owen begged reality TV star for nude pictures':-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/married-england-legend-michael-owen-24356692

'Tremendous by the way' ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2024, 05:19:38 pm »
You couldn't make this stuff up, people are actually defending the Manc Owen 🤣

Rio Ferdinand won 6 league titles and a Champions League, does it mean we should all be paying attention to what he has to say? No, he's a gobshite who spouts utter nonsence, just like Owen. 

Should we ignore what Klopp says about players, after all his playing career was very average.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill