Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - SPYIN' KOP - EFL Cup Final, Chelsea v Liverpool, 25th Feb, 15:00  (Read 24287 times)

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Great read, thank you for that Zlen.

Never like playing these. Playing them in a final especially so and the last two from a few years back were painful and could have gone either way.

Our injuries really worry me but I am hoping we have enough up front to cause them a threat on most of our attacks. We have to take our chances and I pray we do this in the first half as I don't think my health can keep take going behind 1-0 in games, let alone a final.

Agreed but feel they are a good bit worse now than they were 2 seasons ago.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Agreed but feel they are a good bit worse now than they were 2 seasons ago.

That's true - hopefully, their relatively young and inexperienced first team will struggle on the bigger stage. They've lost some key players over the last few years.

In comparison, we'll have players like Kelleher who should come into it full of confidence, VVD, Robbo, a World Cup winner and others who have all played in big games.
JFT97

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Hey Zlen, cool OP. Lovely last paragraph too. Excellent read. I'll come back to the match later. Cheers fella.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
Really interesting OP. Wonderful to see Spyin Kop back.

I'm a little worried for this one with all our injuries. I know Chelsea have their problems, but they're still Chelsea and I think they can get it up for a big match. I think we'll put in a shift, just hope we can avoid handing out any silly early goals.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
Bring it on! Good luck to the lads! we can do this.
Believer

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
The thing with Chelsea is that they're the proverbial Forrest Gump box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get. At times this season they've been bloody awful, but at others such as the recent City game they've looked really dangerous and really should have won that.  Conversely, there have been a few big occasions (admittedly very few) where we've been off it, notably the Arsenal game. If we're at - or close to - our best then we beat them regardless of which Chelsea turns up in my opinion, regardless of our starting eleven (within reason), but it's a cup final and nobody should be 'counting chickens'.

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
I’ll be honest - I’m dreading Sunday. It’s all set up for them to exact their revenge on two years ago - a more settled team with something to prove and a full weeks rest. Chance for them to all kick start their Chelsea careers etc.

If we had close to our full strength team, then I wouldn’t be worried.

Therefore, I think we need to be radical and close down their left flank by playing Joe at right back and playing Bradley in front of him wreaking havoc - our goals could come from him taking on Chilwell and cutting back to Cody or Lucho or one of the number 8s in the penalty area. 

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I’ll be honest - I’m dreading Sunday. It’s all set up for them to exact their revenge on two years ago

Who's exacting revenge? Chalobah?

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I reckon Salah and Nunez both start on Sunday. Bradley and Robbo full backs. Endo, MacAllister and Gravenberch.
JFT97

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Just need to play our best and that should be good enough.
We need Jurgens mentality monsters
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Press conference with Pep is at 10am.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Press conference with Pep is at 10am.

Ta.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cmEK1tiGKVs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cmEK1tiGKVs</a>

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chelsea have quality to hurt Liverpool
Liverpool produced a terrific second-half performance to turn a one-goal deficit into a 4-1 win over intensified sense of mission. But at Wembley they cannot generate the atmosphere that at Anfield covers a multitude of flaws, and Chelsea, themselves settling into something approaching a rhythm, have very clear routes to victory. In midfield – and if they stay close together – Moisés Caicedo, Enzo Fernández and Conor Gallagher have the legs and intelligence to dominate the ball, especially with Cole Palmer wandering in off the right. And down the left, Ben Chilwell and Raheem Sterling will be ganging up on Conor Bradley ­– the 20-year-old right-back may be in for a taxing afternoon – while Nicolas Jackson, though an unreliable finisher, has the movement to take defenders away, thereby creating space for more composed teammates. Of course the likeliest outcome remains a Liverpool win on penalties because that is generally how these things end, but Chelsea are a live dog. DH

State of this from the Guardian :lmao

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
Chelsea have quality to hurt Liverpool
Liverpool produced a terrific second-half performance to turn a one-goal deficit into a 4-1 win over intensified sense of mission. But at Wembley they cannot generate the atmosphere that at Anfield covers a multitude of flaws, and Chelsea, themselves settling into something approaching a rhythm, have very clear routes to victory. In midfield – and if they stay close together – Moisés Caicedo, Enzo Fernández and Conor Gallagher have the legs and intelligence to dominate the ball, especially with Cole Palmer wandering in off the right. And down the left, Ben Chilwell and Raheem Sterling will be ganging up on Conor Bradley ­– the 20-year-old right-back may be in for a taxing afternoon – while Nicolas Jackson, though an unreliable finisher, has the movement to take defenders away, thereby creating space for more composed teammates. Of course the likeliest outcome remains a Liverpool win on penalties because that is generally how these things end, but Chelsea are a live dog. DH

State of this from the Guardian :lmao
Chelsea are shite.  There is a reason why they've been midtable for 2 seasons.

They really struggled with our press in the last game and that's something we can still do with some players out.

Verticality is important as well. I'd like at least 2 out  of Robbo, Mo and Darwin to start because they stretch defences. Also, Robbo looked to be in top form against Luton. The injury might actually have been a good thing for him mentally.

Our attack will be weaker due to injuries so, like I said before the Luton game, we have to take advantage of the set pieces we will get.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:35:24 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I fully trust that we'll be prudent in our approach here. Mo Salah in particular will be desperate to play on an occasion like this (as will Darwin), but the last thing we need is one of them breaking down after 15 minutes and missing Forest, City and potentially more. We have a golden opportunity to win the Premier League with City having to come to us for a change in this part of the season.

I'm sure the medical staff will get it right and I hope the fact the pair of them missed Luton completely was to give them complete rest and recovery time.

Luton was extremely encouraging to watch despite the depleted line up. This is an extremely well coached group of players, we have a depth of talent that can come in and play any specific role. Once upon a time, potentially having a star player like Mo or Darwin out left us fearing the worst. This time, in the event that they don't make it, I go into this with full belief in the men that will walk out there in our red.

I can't wait for this. Cup finals are a privilege and I savour it each time we make one. Lets hope this is the first of three of them on Sunday and a new style trophy lift from Virgil at the end of it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:34:33 am by Raid »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great work, used to love the Spyin Kops. Fair play for taking the time to put that together!

I, for once, am going to disagree with Jurgen and say whatever team we put out we will still be favourites on Sunday. We are better coached, more cohesive and have more matchwinners than them in any variation we put together. We saw against Luton, and to be fair one of their fans responded along these lines, with Klopp teams individuals are never that critically important in a game by game basis. Someone always comes in and does a job. One word- Barcelona. Of course, it helps over a long period to have your best players available, eventually you drop points here and there that you wouldn't. But in a one-off cup final I'm not too concerned.

We tend to not play too well in these matches. We couldn't score for toffee in the three cup finals we played in two seasons ago, although I think it was the league cup final where we had a goal disallowed. It would be nice to see us playing more confident, attacking football. It wasn't a cup final, although it felt like it, but the game I think of is City in the FA Cup semi final at Wembley. We turned Wembley into Anfield that day, not just because the atmosphere was electric but we just played with complete swagger and conviction. I really hope we don't show Chelsea too much respect and get dragged into a dogfight.

Really excited, regardless. You find yourself disregarding the cups, especially this one, but once you get to the semis you're desperate to win it. Let's make sure we get at least one other shiny pot to Klopp's name before he moves on/

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks Zlen. Well done for bringing back Spyin Kop, great read and a top bunch.

It's nice to be in the final, really looking forward to it, the injury list is beyond belief, the first half against Luton indicated that we may have one or two injuries to many. As frustrating as it may be to lose momentum there would be no complaints from me, you cant just turn up with literally half your team out and win games in the premier league, we have got the shitty end of the stick with injuries to say the least. 2nd half showed that these boys can do it though, we were excellent and the squad as a whole has so much quality right through. Loved the comments about Klopp's machine, it is like that isn't it?, even if we have our B team out, the way we play gives us a good chance. Mentally and tactically we should have the edge. Hoping Nunez and Salah make it back because I cant see Chelsea managing those two. If not should be a decent game and we still have a great chance. Would love Klopp to win it in his last year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:56:16 am by red1977 »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
I'm sure the medical staff will get it right

I'm not.  They don't exactly have a stellar record of late.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
That's true - hopefully, their relatively young and inexperienced first team will struggle on the bigger stage. They've lost some key players over the last few years.

In comparison, we'll have players like Kelleher who should come into it full of confidence, VVD, Robbo, a World Cup winner and others who have all played in big games.

Our world cup winner is better than their world cup winner.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
If fit have Darwin and Salah on the bench and only bring one on if absolutely necessary
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
If fit have Darwin and Salah on the bench and only bring one on if absolutely necessary
Ideally,  we need one of them starting.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
Great read, thank you for that Zlen.

Never like playing these. Playing them in a final especially so and the last two from a few years back were painful and could have gone either way.

Completely different this time i think they will be more wary of us especially after the game the other week hopefully it plays on there mind
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
Completely different this time i think they will be more wary of us especially after the game the other week hopefully it plays on there mind
They'll probably be more defensive which will give us more opportunities from set pieces.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Not confident given our lack of available options but lets see, these lads can surprise us. Would love Mo to start but that doesn't look possible.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully Szoboszlai, Salah, and Nunez, at least make the bench. Have a feeling that subs could be key on Sunday.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Not confident given our lack of available options but lets see, these lads can surprise us. Would love Mo to start but that doesn't look possible.

If he trains today and tomorrow then it is possible.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Even having a couple of the three closest to being back on the bench would give us a boost. Trouble is maybe not being able to bring them on too early in case of extra time.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Even having a couple of the three closest to being back on the bench would give us a boost. Trouble is maybe not being able to bring them on too early in case of extra time.

Be a huge boost.

Really tough week with the FA Cup midweek as that Forest away game will be really hard. At least, they have a match on Wednesday too!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:38:24 am by Nick110581 »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Cheers for the OP! I wasn't really around for the old Spying Kop heyday so it's a nice change of pace.

For sure we'll have our work cut out for us with the injuries. But I fancy us to beat absolutely anyone on our day, injuries or not. I'm confident even our second string squad has what it takes to beat these, backed up by the travelling Kop (which looked incredible for our last two cup finals). The young lads will surely be playing out of their skins, and we still have enough calm older heads to keep us in line and hopefully one or two super subs sat waiting on the bench.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
In a cup final, the first goal is vital as it sets the tone. I'd start our best players if they are fit and look to take them off after 70 mins.

I deally, we'd have a fast start and not wait for the 2nd half like how we normally do this season. Finals are harder to turn around due to scoreboard pressure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:04:58 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline West Cork Red

• Main Stander
In a cup final, the first goal is vital as it sets the tone. I'd start our best players if they are fit and look to take them off after 70 mins.

I deally, we'd have a fast start and not wait for the 2nd half like how we normally do this season. Finals are harder to turn around due to scoreboard pressure.
The trouble is even with our best players starting we have a tendency to concede first

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
Jayden Danns to score

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
The back 5 will be fine, no concerns there.

If it's the same midfield and attack, then it's more than enough to match Chelsea to begin with. The issue is subs and refreshing the attack, especially in a game that could go for 120 mins and after the same 6 have played in midweek while Chelsea rested.

Really important to get one or two back on the bench to provide for options later in the game.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Would be a real boost to get even one of Mo, Darwin or Dom available for this. All three and I’d start to feel quite confident about our chances.
None of them and it’ll be a really tough game but one we can still win with those who are available. Be great for some of the fringe players to start a major cup final as well. Especially if they’ve helped us get there in the early rounds
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:34:06 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm working on Sunday so will miss this 😟

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
I think "(cup final) fever" is a legitimate reason to miss work.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan

There's lots of illness going around at the moment  ;)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
World be a real boost to get even one of Mo, Darwin or Dom available for this. All three and I’d start to feel quite confident about our chances.
None of them and it’ll be a really tough game but one we can still win with those who are available. Be great for some of the fringe players to start a major cup final as well. Especially if they’ve helped us get there in the early rounds

My gut feeling (based on 100% ignorance) is that none of the three will start. I think they will all be on the bench if fit and the team will be a slight modification of the Luton first 11. Perhaps Robbo and Konaté will start. I think it makes sense given the excellent result and (overall) performance and bond within the actual team against Luton. We have so many critical games coming up. We can't afford to re-injure players again. It's also a big psychological card to have these 3 primed to come on if needed, some break glass emergency team there.

My tuppence worth.

As for the actual game I think it will be cagey and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 0-0 at half-time. I wouldn't be unhappy with that particularly if we have the aforementioned A-team on the bench.

3-1 Reds in normal time. Reds to score the first 2 and the last.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think "(cup final) fever" is a legitimate reason to miss work.

There's lots of illness going around at the moment  ;)

It's fine guys we've played better whenever I've missed games this season 👍

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
My gut feeling (based on 100% ignorance) is that none of the three will start. I think they will all be on the bench if fit and the team will be a slight modification of the Luton first 11. Perhaps Robbo and Konaté will start. I think it makes sense given the excellent result and (overall) performance and bond within the actual team against Luton. We have so many critical games coming up. We can't afford to re-injure players again. It's also a big psychological card to have these 3 primed to come on if needed, some break glass emergency team there.

My tuppence worth.

As for the actual game I think it will be cagey and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 0-0 at half-time. I wouldn't be unhappy with that particularly if we have the aforementioned A-team on the bench.

3-1 Reds in normal time. Reds to score the first 2 and the last.
Yep I’d imagine certainly Konate will start. Kind of hope Joe gets the start just because he’s been brilliant and deserves a big final start. But wouldn’t be surprised if was Robbo either, however he’d be better to bring on if we’re chasing the game
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp