Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - SPYIN' KOP - EFL Cup Final, Chelsea v Liverpool, 25th Feb, 15:00  (Read 24294 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

EFL Cup Final
Chelsea v Liverpool
Wembley Stadium
25th Feb, 15:00h

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh
Assistant Referee's: Mark Scholes & James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Tim Robinson
Reserve Assistant Referee: Wade Smith
VAR: John Brooks
Assistant VAR: Marc Perry

How big is your.....pitch

Hey folks.
Warning first - this is a long one.  :wave
(Insert that's what he/she said jokes)

Again, it's Chelsea v Liverpool at Wembley and again, nobody can really predict much aside from it being a hard fought battle. For the most part, almost all finals, late stage CL games or late-season important games between Chelsea and Liverpool have been mud-soaked trench warfare. Games like the last one at Anfield are increasingly rare when these two sides come toghether. I expect another one of those slogs, but with Chelsea being pretty hard to read these days and our lineup being almost impossible to predict - you never really know. Here's what we do know.

We are coming into this game on the back of what I honestly believe to be the most crucial moment of our season. Think of any way a team can be challenged mentally, physically, tactically, ahead and during a game - we have faced it against Luton. It was the 'destined to lose' moment we simply said no to. Not today. Not happening. One can hope that things can only get better from here, right? And I hope they get better starting with this match against Chelsea. Let's briefly look at Chelsea and where they are. It will be expanded on much more later.

Their February hasn't really been that bad. It started with a defeat against Wolves in the League, but they followed that up with FA Cup win away to Aston Villa, League win away to Crystal Palace and with the much appreciated away draw to Manchester City. I wouldn't exactly call it picking up a head of steam, but they really aren't in a bad place either. The way they played against City should have given them some encouragement as well. Though Halland missed a hatful of golden chances, they did defend well, Disasi in particular had a very good game, and they found ways to open City up on counters. Some transition plays by Palmer (who faded later in the game) and constant pressing and effort by Gallagher gave them a foundation to build from. So yeah, very much a team finding their feet but well capable of scoring goals and creating good chances against anyone. They've also had a full week of rest, but one could debate if this is beneficial or not. Sometimes maintaining competitive tempo is better and allows you to start games faster and sharper.

As for us, well, it seems that nothing matters any longer. We are entering some kind of logic defying phase of the season. No amount of, well anything, seems to break our stride. Take it on the chin, get up and go. I see this game as a reward for hard work so far by the entire squad, as it should be really. Hopefully we get some players back for this game, both for starting eleven and also for the bench, but for the most part it's a game that will have to be handled by those that played against Luton - and that's perfectly fine. Boys deserve their chance to graduate winning trophies, I believe they have what it takes - because they've shown it more than once. So dust off any pain and fatigue and let's roll again. We'll know more in few days about who is available - but we already know that whoever gets to play will have no fear and leave everything out there. What more can you ask?

Something old, something new

We wanted to do something special for the Matchday thread ahead of the finals. So my idea was to give it a go and try and rekindle the Spyin' Kop tradition, basically get the opposition view ahead of a big match. This used to be a staple on RAWK and I very much enjoyed these threads. I suppose they've died out in recent years with forums as a medium not having the pull they once had. But I was hopeful we could pull one off. So off I went out there, into the great wilderness of the internet, bright eyed and hopeful in search of what I've been told is a very elusive and hard to find creature - a reasonable Chelsea fan. I have to report, contrary to what you might think - I found plenty of them. We got along really well all being said and think their replies are interesting. So big thanks to all participants. 

Hope you enjoy the read and aren't too hard on Chelsea fans that took part.

Spyin' Kop Rekindled

I've been pretty puzzled by the way Chelsea season has turned out. It seems there were (again) too many changes during the summer and the squad is in a prolonged state of trying to stabilise that foundation, the core upon which to build up some momentum. How do you feel about your season so far under Pochetino? Is he on a trajectory to something or is the maze of new players proving too tricky to navigate?

axman2526: It is more or less how last season felt. Losing games we should not be losing, stuck in midtable, owners sticking to their guns on life time contracts and youth development. Only swapped our inability to score from last season for an inability to defend now.
charierre: No real improvement, a team full of young individuals still looking for consistency and thus become a team.
CaitlinCFC: Crap. He either gets it right sometimes or so wrong. It isn't his fault completely having a completely new team. He is probably the best manager we have had since Tuchel still.
mojo: I was not against his appointment, think he did very well at Spurs. but it is obvious we've become a f**king mess of a club, so I think we should not be pointing fingers towards him.
Zeta: sh*t. THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW VERY SMALL SIGNS OF PROGRESS, HIDDEN AMONGST PLAYING PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION, NO CLEAR IDEA WHAT ANYONE IS TRYING TO DO. I DIDN'T WANT HIM THEN AND I DON'T WANT HIM NOW.
carrickblue: For much of the season the team has looked unbalanced and rudderless. Only since losing to Liverpool and Wolves have we looked anything like the thing and that also coincides with not playing Silva at the back. I have been disappointed with Poch so far but maybe I was just expecting too much too soon.
Modueke: I hope it's a trajectory to something better and he looks to have picked up over the last few games! It was only a few weeks back that I thought he should be sacked, but he seems to have brought the dressing room together again/won it back, and that must've been a hard achievement in itself. Just hope he can keep it that way! I always viewed Poch as a 'nearly' manager in England. 'Nearly' winning a league, 'Nearly' winning a Champions League, so if we can compete again at a level we had been used to, I don't know if Poch would carry it through!
Gol15:  Pochettino isn't a miracle worker by any means and while he is working his best it looks like he's not going to be able to rise above the occasion just yet, he simply needs more time in order to even get an opportunity to improve the competitive level of the squad and he would maybe need to spend a lot in order to do it. It's worth to add that the project itself by its design looks very hard to pull off given that it's a lot of new players that have to become a team while playing in the PL so any possible weakness will become a reality more easy since a lot of the senior players that would usually help the manager with the building of the new team have often been injured and there is simply a lack of such players to begin with.
Jezz:  I think the club has been in a period of instability since Abramovich was forced to sell, and Boehly/Clearlake took over and implemented their own strategy. I'm hoping we're past the worst of it now, but time will tell on that front. With respect to this season, I think improvement has been slower than I had hoped it would be. I thought the benefit of no European football and more time between games to train and prepare would help us. I would say we're in a better spot than we were this last time year under Potter, but it's taken longer than I expected to see significant improvement. I think if we can manage to get to around 60 points by seasons end, then we're slowly progressing in the right direction. Hard to say if we're completely on the right track under Pochettino, but a settled squad and more coherent recruitment strategy would be hugely beneficial for us.
Rob B: I don't think I'm saying anything particularly controversial if I said that most fans - if not all fans - don't see Poch as the long-term solution.  My personal view is that he's been dealt a difficult hand (turnover of players, injuries etc) but has made plenty of mistakes along the way.  He is fine for the time being though as our problems are much bigger than the manager.  I do think we can further improve under him too, I just think there will be a ceiling.
Argo:  I've found him hugely frustrating so far, he's capable of setting up in an elite way and competing toe to toe with even the best sides (as you found out at The Bridge) but also capable of some absolutely amateur set ups (as you saw at Anfield). The fact he's had people unironically thinking Enzo and Caicedo are crap is a huge huge black mark.

Last summer transfer window was crazy. The blow for blow chase of Caiceido and Lavia and Chelsea once again pushing the envelope in terms of incoming transfers. But during the season both of them (Lavia was and is injured obviously) did not seem to make the impact I expected. Who do you see as the best purchase so far of the 'Wild Boehly Years', both in terms of present impact but also one you see as the possible future cornerstone?

axman2526: If we are able to keep them the majority of their careers, I.e. being a minimum regular CL qualifier, then I would say it is between Malo Gusto, Cole Palmer and Enzo Fernandez.
charierre: Palmer.
CaitlinCFC: Cole Palmer and Enzo Fernandez.
mojo: Cole Palmer
Zeta: NOT EXACTLY MANY TO CHOOSE FROM, THEY ARE ALL MOSTLY CRAP. PALMER IS THE ONLY DECENT ONE REALLY.
carrickblue: Palmer without a doubt.
Modueke: At present, Palmer! And want to think we can add Disasi, Gusto, and Caicedo to that future cornerstone! Enzo can be quality but I think we were already expecting that to an extent!
Gol15: Enzo Fernandez was a real key signing and a statement signing at the time. After him, managing to secure Nkunku was a big deal. Any top team would have been happy to have those two players and they have a clear path to establish themselves as top players in the near future, they could make their own legacy at the club if things turn out well.
Jezz:  I agree, the transfer deals we've engaged in have been "wild". Palmer has been very good value for money for us. I think Manchester City made an error letting him go. I still think Enzo Fernandez despite the expensive transfer fee is steadly improving and will be a good long-term prospect for us. Disasi and Gusto are two defenders starting to impact for the better now and they're solidifying their spots in the team.
Rob B: Cole Palmer and Malo Gusto are probably the two stand-outs so far this season and both clearly exceptional young talents.   That said, most of our transfer business has been really good and I think Petrovic, Nkunku, Fernandez, Caicedo, Jackson etc will all show their quality over time.   People forget just how hard it is to adapt to the premier league as a young player.  The problem with our business is that we've been exclusively young players and then added them to a team with Gallagher and Colwill etc.  You could also argue that we lack experience / quality in forward areas albeit seemed to have turned a corner here of late.    In isolation, we've really not got many wrong since the new Sporting Directors were in place.   
Argo:  For me Palmer and Enzo, don't be fooled by the latter having a little rut with Poch playing him as an auxiliary winger.

With Everton getting points deduction, Manchester City living in a limbo state of being both the best club and the biggest frauds ever and Premier League attempting to show some teeth in regulating football finance - homegrown players are becoming an increasingly valuable commodity in balancing the books. They allow clubs to make pure profit, on the other hand they bring heart and fight to the pitch that doesn't come as easy to imported players. So, is Conor Gallagher now the one player Chelsea should both definitely sell and at the same time definitely keep and build their team around?

axman2526: You lot should buy him. Seriously I told my Kopitie best mate the same. In a side looking to win in all he has flaws but he would be a cracking squad player. He has an amazing work ethic and fitness record, always keeps going. Madness we may cash in but like you said pure profit and these owners have their plan.
charierre:  Conor is important for winning the ball back high. Every team requires a player prepared to do the scruffy stuff.
CaitlinCFC:  They shouldn't build a team around him but need to keep 100%. He is Chelsea.
mojo: You don't build a team around Conor. He is the guy you always want to be in the team. Selling him to Tottenham would be the dumbest transfer but that's now expected from these merchants.
Zeta: WE CAN SELL HIM, I DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A PROBLEM WITH IT. TECHNICALLY, HE'S AVERAGE. DOESN'T SCORE MANY. DOESN'T ASSIST MANY. JUST RUNS AROUND AND PUTS IN SOME TACKLES. IF WE CAN GET 40M FOR HIM, TAKE IT.
carrickblue:  I wouldn't sell him, we're beginning to see Gallagher, Enzo and Caicedo click - they've struggled to work as a three in midfield for much of the season but there's something good there for next year. 
Modueke:  Conor wants to play for Chelsea! He doesn't want to go anywhere! For that alone, he shouldn't be sold! Roman would've seen that loyalty but these new owners are all about the ££££ so who knows what happens with him. We're a business to them now!
Gol15:  Conor Gallagher has shown that he a good range of skills and he's definitely a good fit for the league, it all depends if the manager believes that the squad could improve with another player instead, he wouldn't be the first quality player that the club let go but it's important to have a vision of how the team should look and play.
Jezz:  I'd like to keep Gallagher rather than sell him off to a rival club, but if we're struggling to comply with FFP we might not have any other choice. I don't think he's the type of player you build a team around, but he's very useful role player that can fit in well into a strong team.
Rob B: Keep - no question about it.  We have plenty of other players to sale before him, both from the academy i.e. Chalobah, Maatsen, Broja, Anjorin, Hall etc and then from our senior squad - Lukaku, Ziyech, Sarr, Kepa, Cucurella etc
Argo:  For me he's the perfect 12th/13th squad player to pad out winning squads. The type of player all squads need but isn't quite untouchable status.

Looking ahead to the Final match by looking back on our previous encounter. Liverpool were relentless on the evening, probably one of their best performances of the season, and still Chelsea had good chances, few very reasonable penalty shouts (I was certain at least one of those would be given) and on a different night the score might have looked much better for the Blues. Do you think that defeat, as it was quite recent, will galvanise your team ahead of the final?

axman2526: Not in the slightest. The gulf between the two sides was there for all to see. I told that same best mate had Nunez not decided he fancied and crossbar and post challange more than actually scoring goals you would have put us to the sword. In a way it was a worse pi$$ take that you did not.
charierre:  You never know which Chelsea will turn up. It’s a final so I’d expect the better version.
CaitlinCFC:  Yes. I think we are (at times) better now but still way behind Liverpool in every way.
mojo:  Of course not. It is a million dollar question what galvanises this lot. From hero to zero to zero to hero.
Zeta:  NO, WE'LL BE JUST AS sh*t
carrickblue:  No, can imagine they'll be pretty nervous of getting tanked again.
Modueke:  I think we are probably f**ked either way!
Gol15:  I personally don't believe that the previous meetings between the two teams will have any weight for the cup final, that being said I believe that this upcoming matchup is looking to be more significant for Chelsea as a club as it's the only hope of having some success.
Jezz:  I think the defeat at Anfield a few weeks back was quite demoralising to be honest. It showed the gulf in class between the two teams. If anything, the performance in the 4th Round of the FA Cup against Aston Villa might have been a turning point in galvanising the squad, but it's too early to say whether that's the case or not.
Rob B: To be honest, not really. I'm expecting a better performance, but we don't seem to have that mentality yet. Some of the old Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel teams would be baying for blood, but this lot have a long way to go.
Argo: After the game I thought not unless we changed managers but your recent injuries combined with Poch tactically wiping the floor with Emery and outsmarting Pep for over an hour has given me hope.

Liverpool are going through a strange patch of recurring injuries and other events conspiring so the side that played against Chelsea at Anfield did not start another game afterwards. With two more games to go before the final, who knows who gets to return to fitness or become unavailable. If you could pick one Liverpool player you do not want to see starting at Wembley - who would it be and why?

axman2526: One player does not matter when you have Klopp. No Salah when we played you last? No problem. Klopp just picks a replacement and and machine keeps going. For arguments sakes Jota, as he is your best finisher imo.
charierre:  Salah ,is the obvious though Nunez is good for the ‘shots on target’ bets.
CaitlinCFC:  Salah. I like him a lot but he scores goals.
mojo:  It doesn't matter at all. But I would like Klopp to be suspended for this one 😁
Zeta: DIAZ
carrickblue: Jota probably, he's got a dangerous unpredictability to his play.
Modueke:  It might be better for us at the moment if you play your reserves!
Gol15: For me it has to be between Jota and Szoboszlai, both are very good at what they do best and their runs forward make things very difficult for any opposition, their presence is pretty terrifying since both can solve matches just by being on the pitch.
Jezz:  Mohamed Salah. An experienced player who's played on the big stage numerous times and knows what's required to get the job done. Think he'll be a real handful for our defenders.
Rob B: VVD is an obvious one as a leader and because of the way he marshals your back-line. Curveball but I'd be quite pleased to see Jota on the bench too! His goals to games ratio is incredible.
Argo:   Out of who could be playing or anyone in our squad full stop? If the former Luis Diaz, feel shades of Hazard watching him play. If the latter Alisson, famous last words but I'd actually fancy our chances this time against you in a shootout if it's Kelleher vs Petrovic.

In similar vein to the question above. Who is one Chelsea player you would want to both start and also have a good game at Wembley and why?

axman2526: Reece James. On his day he wins games on his own with assists and goals.
charierre: Palmer, makes us tick.
CaitlinCFC:  Eden Hazard 😆 Cole Palmer because he can change a match. Or a peak Sterling masterclass.
mojo: Reece James.
Zeta: PALMER
carrickblue: Palmer. He has the ability to create and the knows how to frustrate the opposition.
Modueke: Reece James would be good but won't happen so hoping Conor has a good game!
Gol15:  Having Nkunku ready to start and have a good game would be pivotal for Chelsea's chances to win the final.
Jezz:  Cole Palmer. He was poor at Anfield a few weeks back, but he's a dangerous goal scoring threat and his incisive passing will give our attackers opportunities in front of goal.
Rob B: Enzo was superb in the earlier fixture this season and if he plays well, the team will play well.  The other one is Cole Palmer.  Already our main creative force up top.  So one of those two.
Argo:   Nkunku. Although I think Poch will stick to the same team that played against City his record in domestic finals is sensational.

You're facing a pretty tricky game against Manchester City this upcoming weekend, but will have the week off ahead of the Final. Meanwhile Liverpool will play Luton at Anfield midweek before the Final. Do you think the week of rest will benefit you (players returning, working on tactics) or would you prefer to play and keep your players sharp?

axman2526: We have had both this season and had no benefit either way. Don't believe it will be a factor.
charierre:  We don’t appear to do tactics, hopefully we don’t get more injuries in training.
CaitlinCFC:  Prefer to play as long as there are no injuries.
mojo: It doesn't matter with this lot.
Zeta:  DOESN'T MATTER EITHER WAY. STILL sh*t.
carrickblue:  Hardly matters, our form has been so erratic a break or another game seems to make no difference - you never know which Chelsea is going to turn up. 
Modueke:  I think breaks are bad for Chelsea unless its a close season. An International break broke our momentum before after a few weeks without games, so sharpness off the back of a good couple of games is better!
Gol15:  I don't believe it will matter for Chelsea, the team will have it on their minds that there is a cup final coming up and having to play Man City before it can only have a positive impact due to the level of competitiveness of Man City.
Jezz:  I think the week off will be beneficial. Gives us more time to prepare and do our homework on the opposition. Our record and performances against the top clubs has been decent this season. Liverpool will also be challenged by squad rotation due to their current injuries.
Rob B: Week of rest allowing us to fully focus.
Argo: Hard to tell, we've on paper had that advantage all season but it's not worked out that way.

Not exactly asking for a prediction, there are too many unknowns in terms of availability and so on to even get into it now. But how do you see the game playing out? Are we finally going to get something other than a wrestling match and see some free flowing, goal-scoring football?

axman2526:  You will win the game comfortably, Poch cannot train a cohesive defensive unit.
charierre:  End to end ,free flowing, 2-2
CaitlinCFC:  We need to at least try. It would mean more to us. If it went to penalties again then we may have a chance with Petrovic but we need to get there first 😐
Zeta:  EASY WIN FOR LIVERPOOL.
carrickblue:  Probably be over by half-time, I think you'll win comfortably.
Modueke:  We're probably f**ked but after a good game against City at the weekend, I hope we can carry that into this one!
Gol15:  Since it's a final I believe that both teams will be nervous and I expect the second half to be much more entertaining than the first.
Jezz:  I can see it being tight, but Liverpool should have enough to overcome us.
Rob B: No idea, I thought the recent game would be tight and it was anything but! Only thing I would say is most finals tend to be quite cagey so if pushed I see us losing by the odd goal.
Argo:  Can't see another 0-0 as back in those two finals (and last season) our strengths laid in defense and we didn't have a particularly good attack, at the moment it's the total opposite so I can see some goals here.

And to close it off, I'm really interested in your mid-long term views on Chelsea at the moment. Do you think you'll end the season in european places and do if not - would you still hope the owner sticks with Pochetino? Also do you think you'll have another 'wild transfer summer' (is it even needed) or will it be more a case of re-balancing the squad and the books and adding few smart additions to the squad?

axman2526:  European  places? No, 11th, 10th or 9th I believe we end the season in. Stick with Poch, continue the Brighton fetish with RDZ, appoint Tim Todd's mate to run the show. Don't matter, no faith in these owners or directors to make the right choice and support a manager. Don't think we can have another wild summer. We are feeling the FFP pinch now imo, and is why players like Maatsen, Broja, Gallagher and Gilchrist will likely be sold.
charierre: No,No,No
CaitlinCFC:  It will be hard to climb the table that much. We have been stuck around the same place for so long. I think a few players will come in because we need a striker. A few will get sold or loaned. It will not be big spending again because the owners must know by now that it doesn't quite work that way unless you are on a Playstation.
mojo:  Can't tell at the moment. Depends on what we'll see more of this season, I am hoping for a miracle but realisticly we all know what awaits us - more mess.
Zeta:  NO. NO. MORE OUTGOINGS THAN INCOMINGS. UNDERPERFORMING, HIGH WAGE PLAYERS WILL GO, E.G. STERLING.  PROBABLY LOAN OUT A FEW OF THE YOUNGER ONES WHO CAN'T CUT IT, E.G. MUDRYK, MADUEKE. I'M SURE THEY'LL SIGN A FEW RANDOM BRAZILIAN TEENAGERS FOR 20M A POP THOUGH.
carrickblue:  Don't see us getting into Europe - that might be a reason for them to ditch Poch but I don't know who comes next. I wouldn't trust these owners to make a good choice. Can't see us spending big this summer. FFP has to be on their minds and they've committed long term to the guys they've bought. We could see a few players leaving, including Gallagher. That'd be a poor move in my opinion.
Modueke:  Some sort of Europe would be good but we need consistency to finish the season and hope some others above can f**k up! I doubt there will be massive transfers again, but I wouldn't mind seeing some experienced players in, especially with talk of Silva going at the end of the season too.
Gol15:  The club will have to simply survive this season, so far it hasn't look like the squad could actually finish in top eight but even so I believe that the summer will be interesting in one way or another, some players will leave and whoever the manager is he will want some specific addition to this squad.
Jezz:  I think the highest we can finish is 7th, which would give us qualification for the Conference League. We've been perpeutally stuck in 10th for most of the season, but we're only 3 points off 7th so it's gettable. I'm on the fence with respect to Pochettino, but I'm always adverse to change without having a proper alternative in place. A lot will hinge on how well we finish the season whether the owners stick with him or not. Winning the League Cup would certainly add to his credibility and give him time. Who knows what will happen under these owners, but I think it will be a summer of re-balancing the squad, clearing out some deadwood and hopefully making a few intelligent additions to the squad.
Rob B: I don't think we'll make Europe, I think there are too many teams above us. I think we could leap-frog one or maybe two but not three or four. I'm a bit nonplussed on Poch to be honest. Wouldn't lose any sleep if he went, but happy enough for him to stay. Main priorities have to be to sign a striker, renew Gallagher's contract, get the likes of Lavia and James properly fit, and then a couple of ins/out.
Argo:  I'd like to think we'll just buy when we need to buy at this point. 

PS - I love you

Lastly, in case anyone needs reminding of what's obvious. Days go by, time flies, roses are red - stop and smell them. This season is special, Klopp's time with us was, is and will forever be special. Just savour it. Every game, every minute of what's left. Nobody knows what lies ahead, but as the clock ticks relentlessly - steal some time to enjoy this crazy, crazy ride. Let's go. Again.

Final?
Every game is our final.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 11:36:10 am by Zlen »

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hey! Spyin' Kop back!

Nice one - and thanks.
@Yvanicuzz

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
with a possible 120 mins
I cant see salah or Nunez starting.

-------kelleher
Bradley---Konate---VVD--Robertson
---Mac---Endo---Gravenberch
-Elliott---Gakpo----Diaz

Nunez & Salah off the bench would be great.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the effort Zlen. Seem a bunch of level-headed, if a tad depressed, set of supporters. Finals tend to be levelers of form so we're most likely going to get another close one, likely decided by the odd goal.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one zlen. Love the arl spyin kops. Giving it a read now with a nice cuppa - cheers

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Thought Chelsea were terrible at Anfield, and they've pretty much been terrible for going on two years, still seems they're perennially in the hunt for trophies though so should be harder than the league match but losing to a side of their quality would be very disappointing. I said before the Luton game certain players being on it (mainly Mac Allister and Endo at the minute) is huge and the rest seems to take care of itself. Gakpo for example wasn't banging on the door last night but the header was superb and he looked the coolest man in the ground, I do think he has big goals in him when he plays and hopefully another one is forthcoming here.

Kelleher
Bradley   Konate   VVD   Gomez
Mac Allister   Endo   Gravenberch
Elliott   Gakpo   Diaz

Same team as last night bar Konate returning, you'd like to think it'll have too much and if Salah/Nunez are there to come on then not bad at all. Not conceding first would really help but in general don't give them a gift as we pretty much did last night to Luton. If Salah for example could play 75 minutes I'd start him over Elliott who I think might just be better served coming off the bench himself to open Chelsea up. Winning in 90 would be bliss but just win it regardless even if it requires extra time and penalties, we'll rotate in the Southampton game anyway. Then some can get their rest ahead of Forest/Europe/City. FUCKING COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Thanks for that Zlen - great to see Spiyn' Kop back !  Not only that, but you found the lesser spotted decent Chelsea fan so that's quite an achievement.

Finals are so difficult to predict, before you even factor in the who will likely play or not considerations. Any sort of win will do. I will have a lot of nervous excitement come sunday and an early goal (for once !) will settle things down nicely. Going 3-1 to the reds and another shiny pot.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
I know this is considered the reserve cup but didn't actually expect we'd have to field a reserve team in the final but here we are, pretty sickening really but hopefully we can get it done, still got the better 11, much better manager who Jurgen has schooled in a final before and if we defend really well then 1 goal is enough which we can find from anyone in the team.

Think we become underdogs if it goes to extra time though, we could desperately do without that. Something from Mo or Darwin from the bench would be great but it's us and injury news so not much hope there.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Strong as possible here - use the midweek game against Southampton to rest players.

Hopefully Salah and Nunez are fit enough to make the squad, but still have enough to win if not - will be hard though.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Considering the injuries, Klopp actually has a selection headache at full back.

Bradley should start RB but what about LB? Gomez has been outstanding but Robbo is banging on the door.

Be nice if Nunez and Mo make the squad.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Got a ticket for this one. It'll be my first Liverpool final. Can't wait.

Injuries are obviously a worry, but I still back us. 1-0 Jurgen's tricky Reds.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Got a ticket for this one. It'll be my first Liverpool final. Can't wait.

Injuries are obviously a worry, but I still back us. 1-0 Jurgen's tricky Reds.
I think the starting XI from yesterday plus maybe some rotation with Konate and Robbo is still too strong for Chelsea given that we're a lot slicker as a unit than they are.  My nagging doubt is more the fatigue as it's a short turnaround to the final and we're not going to have many senior options to bring off the bench (not that the kids have done badly!).  If nobody makes a miraculous recovery before Sunday then we're going to have five subs to use but no senior options to rotate the midfield or forward lines.  Chelsea will likely have a few £100m of players on the bench.

On the other hand though, what an opportunity for some of these players - often on the fringes - to make a name for themselves and write themselves into LFC folklore!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:17:51 pm by thaddeus »

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
I think the amount of players getting an injury in the last couple of weeks obviously has some a bit paranoid but logically thinking IF nobody else goes down we should be able to manage it even if some will have had to have played three games in a week (most should be well used to it by now).

It's why I've not been keen on the idea of too much rotation in recent games. Fair enough doing so against Southampton, but we haven't had to deal with any fixture congestion as of yet this season, it's only starting now really where eventually we probably will need some changes here and there. Van Dijk for example hasn't played much outside of the league. I think he's done both semi-final legs against Fulham, Norwich in the cup, and LASK away in Europe. It should be the strongest possible team in the league and Europe which are obviously the biggest priorities. Regardless of the result Sunday one competition is finished, we could go out to Southampton and then it'd only be two things left to play for with three months of the season left.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
Great work Zlen, thanks for that.

A win and no injuries so that we can enjoy a glorious moment with Klopp, that's all I can hope for.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Southampton obviously feels the game to make wholesale changes and start some of the really young lads. I think everyone can accept that being 4th priority at this stage.

A week (6 days?) before we play in the League again? I hope we go as strong as wr can but fully understand the caution around not rushing players back. Pretty shitty luck for us but we know Alisson wouldn’t have played anyway. Matip and Trent aside we have plenty of good defensive options to pick from. The emergence of Bradley is a real saving grace with Trent out.

Same midfield three again? With their threat on the counter I think we have to start Endo and Mac Allister and playing Gravenberch again makes sense given we may well need Harvey in the forward line again. And even if Nunez or Salah are back I think I’d start Gravenberch and have Harvey as a first sub option.

We never win things the easy way. And our route to the final has in fairness been a bit of a stroll. Have to expect some adversity at some point! Chelsea re weird and can raise their game for the better sides. They’ll carry a threat, certainly in their build up. But we did show in our recent game against them, and in other recent performances that we can swamp teams and overpower them one way or another.

It’ll probably be a tight game (score wise) whilst probably being fairly open at times. I think we’ll win it though. And in 90 minutes please! 2-1 Redmen. Mac Allister and Gakpo

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's going to penalties, I;m convinced of it. We don't do easy finals and Chelsea have had a week to prepare and we've had to drag kids out of their beds for the midweek game.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Southampton obviously feels the game to make wholesale changes and start some of the really young lads. I think everyone can accept that being 4th priority at this stage.

A week (6 days?) before we play in the League again? I hope we go as strong as wr can but fully understand the caution around not rushing players back. Pretty shitty luck for us but we know Alisson wouldn’t have played anyway. Matip and Trent aside we have plenty of good defensive options to pick from. The emergence of Bradley is a real saving grace with Trent out.

Same midfield three again? With their threat on the counter I think we have to start Endo and Mac Allister and playing Gravenberch again makes sense given we may well need Harvey in the forward line again. And even if Nunez or Salah are back I think I’d start Gravenberch and have Harvey as a first sub option.

We never win things the easy way. And our route to the final has in fairness been a bit of a stroll. Have to expect some adversity at some point! Chelsea re weird and can raise their game for the better sides. They’ll carry a threat, certainly in their build up. But we did show in our recent game against them, and in other recent performances that we can swamp teams and overpower them one way or another.

It’ll probably be a tight game (score wise) whilst probably being fairly open at times. I think we’ll win it though. And in 90 minutes please! 2-1 Redmen. Mac Allister and Gakpo

Liverpool have made it look easy though. The supposedly weakest team we've had en route to the final has been the side who have dominated the Championship and should finish comfortable winners. Beyond that it's all Prem sides who aren't in danger of relegation. The biggest help along the way was West Ham rotating for some bizarre reason in the quarter final when we had two big league matches either side of it.

Even two years ago it wasn't an easy run. Norwich away, Preston away, Leicester home, Arsenal two legs, and a good Chelsea side at the time. Norwich where in the Prem at the time. Usually en route to getting to the final and winning this you'd play someone from League One or Two but no such occurrence that year or this year. Mind you when we beat Cardiff in 2012 they were in the Championship.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan

Reading those Chelsea fans' comments is a healthy reminder of how a club can go horribly wrong under the wrong ownership and manager.

Like others I expect a tough game. Think we'll need to win it in 90 with only kids to come off the bench but who knows with us. Someone could make a name for themselves just like Bradley has.

1-0 to us, Mac Allister penalty.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can Bradley play further forward at all and Gomez at right back? Or if we start the same 11 as yesterday, what were the differences in the first to second half? Elliott as the right sided forward isn't perhaps his best position at the moment.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
That Zeta lad is a bundle of joy and optimism....great OP and I used to love reading what the opposition fans thought.

I think the lads will have got a big boost the way they played in the second half against Luton. It was complete domination. Luton are a better side than their position on the table indicates. And it's hard not to like Rob Edwards. We really did batter Chelsea last time out and while they did have a couple of decent penalty shouts, if Darwin had been told to hit the net and not the woodwork, it wood have been a rugby score.

Chelsea are hard to read at the moment. I thought they were OK against City. They had a plan and pretty much stuck to it. I do feel if we score first, we'll win. Chelsea's heads will drop a little if we can turn our usual possession domination into an early goal, we could be set. It would be great to have Darwin and Mo back, but I think even if they are fit, they'll start on the bench. Chelsea may look at our team and think they are a chance, that does worry me a little. They seem to be a team that a bit of confidence will kick them on.

I think the lads who played against Luton will all start except for Quansah. Konate will come in for him If Mo and Darwin aren't fit, our bench looks very shallow, with mostly only kids to come on. As per the Luton game, Robbo will come on at 60 minutes. He really added a bit of mongrel when he came on. It will suit them a tad more if it does go to ET. Penalties is a coin toss.

I'd love to see big Virg lift a cup, he deserves too. He's been a transformative player for us since he arrived. One of our greatest ever centre backs.

Just win and the fact we have our first trophy would bode well for the other 3.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
It's going to penalties, I;m convinced of it. We don't do easy finals and Chelsea have had a week to prepare and we've had to drag kids out of their beds for the midweek game.

Rumour is Vegeta has put 15k on it.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
Rumour is Vegeta has put 15k on it.

Power level must be over 9000 then

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Nice op.

Here's the full list of Ref's for the Final:

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh
Assistant Referee's: Mark Scholes & James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Tim Robinson
VAR: John Brooks
Assistant VAR: Marc Perry
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

The best dressed of all the assistant refs.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Really cool OP Zlen, great having the views of the opponent fans "Zeta" is hilarious...
It will be tough, but we are better... though winning the two cups against these both on pennos bodes ill enough, but we are a better team now in spirit, even with the injuries... though they are getting someform.. 3-1 to the reds!! Diaz to shine, and nunez off the bench to cherry top it..
Another major trophy, bring it home lads!
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
Well all eyes are on Nunez, Szoboszlai, and Salah to see if they make it, can only see them coming from the bench if they do to be honest.

As far as selection, the team is virtually picking itself.  Konate comes back in for Quansah, then its 2 of 3 from fullback in Bradley, Gomez, and Robertson, can see the midfield 3 and front 3 being the same, hopefully with a huge impact from Nunez and Salah off the bench.

Diaz and Gapko really playing themselves into form at just the right time.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
Thanks for this. Always loved Spyin' Kop

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
Should have asked them 'how do you feel about the impending booing of the national anthem'?

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Should have asked them 'how do you feel about the impending booing of the national anthem'?

hehehe
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
BY THE WAY, WE'VE GOT FANS LIKE THAT TOO. ;)
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
We'll put up a fight regardless of who we line up, cant wait

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
Not feeding narrative that players were rushed back but if Sarah and nunez are close but not 100% I hope they don't play. It's a final and as one of our main men , Salah in particular will be desperate to play and will be pushing to be on the pitch. Bigger picture needs to take precedence.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Well all eyes are on Nunez, Szoboszlai, and Salah to see if they make it, can only see them coming from the bench if they do to be honest.

Can't see any of them starting if they couldn't even make the bench last night.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
I think Salah starts.

I'd go:

Kelleher Bradley Konate VVD Robbo Endo Mac Elliot Salah Gakpo Diaz.

Hopefully Dom and Nunez can make the bench. Elliot definitely deserves a start over Gravenberch IMO.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Great OP Zlen. Must admit I had my doubts about how successful you’d be finding Chelsea fans willing to offer reasonable responses. But you’ve done a great job putting this together.

Interesting to hear their thoughts and Thanks to them for their contributions, still hope we batter them mind :)

Think we would have battered them with a full squad, but with us likely still missing our entire front line, amongst others, this makes for a much closer match up.

We’ve still got a strong defence and they and our Captain Marvel can can carry us to victory. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Virgil with the winner 1-0, 2-1.

Be a tough battle this but let’s get the silverware rolling in for Jurgen (maybe he pick this one up like Bob did)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Great op thanks Zlen, very interesting to hear their views as was always the case with Spyin Kop. They do seem more defeatist than I expected but it was before our injuries of the weekend.
I can5 get a ticket for this so will be watching at home. Having been at the match yesterday I was not feeling too confident at half time but left the ground feeling confident. I hope the players feel the same.
I think we see Konate and Robbo start (unless he is less ready than I hope in which case Joe will deserve the start and do a solid but less spectacular job, I have seen someone say Robbo on 60 would be good but that would only be relevant in the right game state). I was also at the home league match against them and hope that scars them, every sign Conor Bradley has an opportunity to shine.
I really hope Nunez can start (or Salah) but am not confident. If either of them do I will anticipat3 a win for us in 90.
Defence only has left back question as above, midfield decision will be who plays alongside Macca and ahead of Endo. I would prefer Grav to be on the bench but we need a returner for that to happen.
So, a win in 90 for me if we get some joy on the injury front, ET win if not are my two predictions.
Enjoyed it there two years ago, have a great time all who go and replicate our efforts of the second half yesterday on Sunday please. Last night ended with Dua Lipa, hope to be singing along with you from my lounge on Sunday 👍🧣🧣🧣
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
Zeta's an enthusiastic chap isn't he.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
It just had to be them yet again, didn't it?

I said it before the PL game. Ugh. Hate playing these at any time. Multiply that x 10 for a final.

Hopefully someone will camo paint the goalposts for Darwin and we'll be comfortably out of sight by HT.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:29:01 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
Have a feeling Nunez/Salah/Sozbo will return for this one and the starters will be:

Keheller
Bradley-Konate-VVD-Robertson
Mac-Endo-Gravenberch
Salah-Nunez-Diaz
Subs: Gakpo, Elliott, Gomez, Quansah, Sozbo, Adrian, Tsimikas, Clark, McConnell

Even if they make the subs bench, getting our attackers back into the team would be huge as these Wembley finals against Chelsea are usually a low scoring affair.

The FA Cup game against Southampton has to be the game where we rest most of our starters as there are too many games about to be played, including Man City, and our injury list is too large.  Something close to the following is likely next Wednesday:

Adrian
Gomez-Konate-Quansah-Tsimikas
Clark-McConnell-Gravenberch
Kaide-Gakpo-Danns
Subs: Keheller, Elliott, Diaz, Bradley, Endo, Robertson, Nyoni, other kids
At home with their feet up: Salah, VVD, Nunez, Mac, Sozbo

Hopefully, Jones and Trent are back soon as well as we need both the skill these players bring plus the bodies so we can rotate properly with games coming every 3-4 days. 
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Great read, thank you for that Zlen.

Never like playing these. Playing them in a final especially so and the last two from a few years back were painful and could have gone either way.

Our injuries really worry me but I am hoping we have enough up front to cause them a threat on most of our attacks. We have to take our chances and I pray we do this in the first half as I don't think my health can keep take going behind 1-0 in games, let alone a final.
JFT97