Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Luton Town, Anfield, Wed 21 Feb 19:30 KO  (Read 17345 times)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

Referee: Andy Madley
Assistants: Eddie Smart, Nick Hopton
Fourth official: Tom Bramall
VAR: Simon Hooper
Assistant VAR: Darren Cann

I'm not really sure where to start with this one. We're top of the league and have our first chance of silverware coming up at the end of the week at Anfield South but all of a sudden we've seemingly been decimated by injuries (I know we've had our fair share this season, but all of a sudden it seems worse than ever). Both long and short term. I say that as like the rest of you I've no idea how severe the injuries to Jones & Jota will be and whether the rumours around Nunez & Salah are true. We won't know for sure until we hear from Jurgen tomorrow.

With all of that uncertainty flying around it's little difficult to preview the game as I'm not sure anyone of us could confidently predict Wednesday nights team right now. One thing I do think however is we'll go with the strongest line up available (whatever that is!) regardless of the impending League Cup final.

Luton are a better team than they were initially given credit for this season, or at least they are certainly a team willing to battle hard for their Premier League survival. We only scraped a last gasp 1-1 at Kenilworth Road back at the start of November. Although they have in general lost to the 'bigger' teams it has usually not been by much. They have lost their last 2 though, both were at home and surprisingly one of those defeats was 3-1 to the worst team in the league Sheff Utd. Their defeat to Man Utd on Sunday wasn't the worst though as they tried in vain to fight back to having gone 2-0 down early. They had more possession and chances to equalise but also gave up plenty of opportunities themselves.

I'm a little hesitant to state what we think we know in terms of availability such is the recent trend of players dropping out after having seemed fine and in training. But as things stand we should be able to field a team from the following

Kelleher, Bradley, Konate, Virgil, Robbo, Mac Allister, Endo, Gravenberch, Elliott, Diaz, Gakpo, Gomez, Tsimikas, Quansah, Clark, McConnell, Williams

It does feel about as weak as we've been overall so far this season, but the first 11 should still be capable of getting the 3 points. What would be a concern is any further injuries, but I'm not sure there's much we can do other than hope for the best. You can't keep players out just in case at this stage of the season.

Guess we'll just have to pray with Mo for his and several others recovery as soon as possible, so as not to derail what could be a monumental season.

A hard fought 2-1 to us. And NO.MORE.INJURIES. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 06:03:04 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Luton Town, Anfield, Wed 21 Feb 19:30 KO
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 06:04:47 pm »
With so many players doubtful, it might be nice for the Anfield crowd to turn up...and by that, create a proper atmosphere.

and let's pay these bastards back for all those ruined meat pies years ago!!

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 06:41:04 pm »
Unnecessary midweek match against relegation threatened side with a cup final at the weekend? Check! A raft of injuries and a sceptical media ignoring the raft of injuries in favour of narrative? Check! One to look forward to.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 06:54:07 pm »
Kelleher
Gomez
Quansah
Virgil
Kostas
Mac Allister
Endo
Gravenberch
Elliott
Gakpo
Diaz

You then have Konate, Robbo and Bradley as senior options off bench.

You would hopefully not have to risk Nunez or Mo either and hope they make Sunday along with Dom.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 06:55:39 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 07:11:52 pm »
Adrian
Bradley
Quansah
VVD
Robbo
Macallister
Clark
Grav
Elliott
Gakpo
Diaz

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 07:14:47 pm »
A win and no injuries would be ideal. Tough game though with one eye on the cup final.

Ideally we go at them early - get the goals and stroll the 2nd half. Who knows though, might happen.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 07:21:18 pm »
Thanks duvva :)

Like you, I think we'll play our strongest available team (I guess we have to!) but got a feeling it might be a grind given the number of players we have out. So 3 points regardless of how they come about is the only thing that matters. And no injuries of course.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 07:23:04 pm »
Thanks duvva; as you said it’s hard to predict who will start. I think our bench may look a bit weak and we certainly do not want any further injuries.

Jota and Jones will be big losses as both have been playing well. Elliott/Gravenberch and Gakpo should be good replacements. Gravenberch had a decent game against Brentford and hopefully he’ll start to step up as we need him. He’s been ok but I think he needs to improve his defensive contribution but, as I said, he has shown good signs recently.

We could do with both Nunez and Salah being fit.

Luton will roll up their sleeves and push us hard so it will be important that we are focused.
#JFT97

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 07:26:36 pm »
Sealey is a condom
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 07:31:30 pm »
Jayden Danns time.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 08:03:47 pm »
Unnecessary midweek match against relegation threatened side with a cup final at the weekend? Check! A raft of injuries and a sceptical media ignoring the raft of injuries in favour of narrative? Check! One to look forward to.

It's not unnecessary, to be fair. If we reach the Europa League and FA Cup finals, we won't have another free midweek for the rest of the season. We could have arguably played Luton last week between Burnley and Brentford rather than days before the final, though.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 08:36:23 pm »
Similar to the Burnley game but now with even more injuries, by hook or crook, all that matters is getting 3 points.

Our crowd has a massive part to play on Wednesday. If we lose then dont sit moaning about it if you've sat in your seat quiet as a mouse all game, Klopp and the players needs us Wednesday night.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:35 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Duvva, as you rightly say the injury situation and the upcoming final make this complicated. I think Nunez starts, aiming to come off after 60. Diaz and Gakpo can go again. I think Gomez, Elliott and Quansah all start too. Elliott playing the Jones role.
Think we win by a couple after  hard working 30minutes or so.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:59 pm »
Similar to the Burnley game but now with even more injuries, by hook or crook, all that matters is getting 3 points.

Our crowd has a massive part to play on Wednesday. If we lose then dont sit moaning about it if you've sat in your seat quiet as a mouse all game, Klopp and the players needs us Wednesday night.
100% correct regarding the crowd.

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2024, 08:54:57 pm »
I'm there for this one, but I've also lost my voice.

Vuvuzela, old-fashioned wooden rattle?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2024, 09:00:39 pm »
I'm there for this one, but I've also lost my voice.

Vuvuzela, old-fashioned wooden rattle?

SSL

Scouse Sign Language
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2024, 09:06:40 pm »
If all the reported injuries are true it’ll be a night for the crowd to hold their nerve and really be a difference maker.

Need a big performance on and off the pitch from those available for selection
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline BigRedFeetBed

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 09:20:13 pm »
I’d like to think or at least hope that the injury noise around Mo and Nunez is a little psychological warfare prior to the weekend..any teams morale would drop if they thought they weren’t initially facing them two only to find them starting.

I think Bradley and Elliot will be pivotal and I still think Bradley can play anywhere down the right which is a good problem to have if for whatever reason Mo isn’t fit. He will probably start at right back but we have Joe who can fit there too. I think Joe could also slot into LM and do a decent job

A half decent team if all rumours of injury are true? It could be a little midfield light but you’d still hope to get a result. Bench would be a little light too though.

Kelleher

Bradley/Gomez - Quansah - Virgil - Robbo/Tsimi

Endo
      Elliot.                               Grav/Gomez?
                            Mac
          Diaz.                         Gakpo

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 09:45:42 pm »
Anyone fancy a game??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 09:47:09 pm »
Anyone fancy a game??

Jota said he's in.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 10:19:01 pm »
Hope for a solid 2-0 win. No thrills, just job done and move on...hopefully no further injuries. 

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 10:20:24 pm »
Strongest side for this and Chelsea then make the changes for Southampton and most can have a week off.

Kelleher
Bradley   Konate   VVD   Robertson
Endo   Mac Allister   Gravenberch
Elliott   Gakpo   Diaz

Can understand the shouts for Quansah but less changes the better when we've already had to make a few. Hopefully Salah can make the bench and be ready for Sunday. I'd consider starting Elliott at Wembley in the midfield ahead of Gravenberch, seems like the occasion he'd love. Should have too much for these and I reckon they'll tire themselves with two big games against more energetic sides within a few days of each other. Literally any win to take us into the Forest game on top which we then also have to win if we want the City match to mean as much as it could, can not afford to drop points in these next two. Oh, and a nice send off for Wembley too.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2024, 10:24:44 pm »

Thanks for the OP.

Agree with most suggested lineups but think we need to be careful with Bradley. I want him to play on Sunday so could go Tsimi and Joe against Luton. Should have enough for this, can see Gakpo stepping up and getting a brace.

Will never forgive Luton for their plastic abomination of a pitch in the 80s where we always seemed to lose.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2024, 10:50:19 pm »
Jota said he's in.
Your right leg I like.

I have nothing against your right leg.

Sadly, neither have you
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2024, 11:15:55 pm »
Does anyone have the stats on how many changes we've made to our starting 11 each game compared to other teams?  Please just get through this one without anymore injuries. 

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2024, 12:02:11 am »
Does anyone have the stats on how many changes we've made to our starting 11 each game compared to other teams?  Please just get through this one without anymore injuries.
We've not played the same 11 two games in a row.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2024, 12:10:08 am »
Adrian

Nope nope and nope

Why would a GK of all players need to be rested. Its Kelleher.

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2024, 12:13:00 am »
These put in a huge effort vs united and looked out on their feet at times. No more injuries and a 96 th min winner would do.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2024, 12:13:39 am »
Do we have more news on injuries? Why wouldn't Salah start here and Nunez (if fit)?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 12:17:14 am »
Do we have more news on injuries? Why wouldn't Salah start here and Nunez (if fit)?

I'm up top
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2024, 12:19:43 am »
Nope nope and nope

Wouldn't even rest Kelleher against Southampton. There's just no need for Adrian to play for the club again as long as Kelleher's fit.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2024, 12:25:44 am »
Nope nope and nope

Crazy talk and a sure fire way to push the lad out of the Club.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2024, 12:34:41 am »
5-0 it is then.

Just like a certain Mr Rush in '83 v same opposition
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Smudge 2.0

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2024, 08:37:01 am »
I'm taking my boots just in case.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2024, 08:44:55 am »
Anyone fancy a game??
Me mam has said dinner is at 7:30 so I'll miss the first 15-minutes.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2024, 09:48:03 am »
Would love us to come out the traps hard and fast, get a 2 goal lead and then manage the game.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2024, 09:58:39 am »
Crazy talk and a sure fire way to push the lad out of the Club.
And the club out the FA Cup ;D

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2024, 09:59:38 am »
Nope nope and nope

I was thinking that it might be worth resting Adrian even, maybe playing Mrozek (and also wasnt entirely serious)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2024, 10:05:43 am »
Luton are a really athletic team, lots of strong runners, quick players all over the pitch.  We'll need to be really careful with them countering us, and should also be looking to shut down Barkley because everything goes through him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.