Author Topic: Match Preview: Arsenal v Liverpool, Feb 4 2024  (Read 21835 times)

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview: Arsenal v Liverpool, Feb 4 2024
« Reply #40 on: February 1, 2024, 02:58:55 pm »
This is a way more important game for Arsenal than it is for us. They HAVE to win this match, otherwise any lingering aspirations they have of being in a title race are buried in the dirt once and for all. Pressure is on them to get a positive result, and this Arsenal team haven't exactly responded well to pressure.

I expect that they'll amp themselves up for it and start strongly like they did in both previous encounters so far this season, but just like those games, we'll take control of the game after the initial barrage and assert ourselves as the better team. Would love a win here to remove them from the equation altogether, but a draw would be acceptable.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #41 on: February 1, 2024, 03:03:08 pm »
This is a way more important game for Arsenal than it is for us. They HAVE to win this match, otherwise any lingering aspirations they have of being in a title race are buried in the dirt once and for all. Pressure is on them to get a positive result, and this Arsenal team haven't exactly responded well to pressure.

I expect that they'll amp themselves up for it and start strongly like they did in both previous encounters so far this season, but just like those games, we'll take control of the game after the initial barrage and assert ourselves as the better team. Would love a win here to remove them from the equation altogether, but a draw would be acceptable.
They've become nauseating again- after 2/3 good performances while we were down in the dumps and just coming back up again.
They think they are a better team than us and that we've only had the upper hand cause we have good strikers.
From the pundits to the supporters.

They'll have a rude awakening on Sunday.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42 on: February 1, 2024, 03:09:07 pm »
They've become nauseating again- after 2/3 good performances while we were down in the dumps and just coming back up again.
They think they are a better team than us and that we've only had the upper hand cause we have good strikers.
From the pundits to the supporters.

They'll have a rude awakening on Sunday.

Think you're underselling them here, they're a very good team.  There was no rude awakening at Anfield and they finished the game stronger than us.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: February 1, 2024, 03:28:59 pm »
I would go 
--Allison
Trent---Konate--VVD---Gomez
---------Mac
--Szobo------Jones
Bradley---Nunez---Jota

Yeah i would play Bradley on the right to cover Trent.
Have Diaz & Gakpo off the bench
Arsenal will comeon strong first 30 & target our right side

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #44 on: February 1, 2024, 03:31:49 pm »
Dare I say a must win game for the Goon's.  I'd expect them to come out fast but die out after an hour, then bang.  0-2 Redmen.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #45 on: February 1, 2024, 03:38:10 pm »
I would go 
--Allison
---------Mac
--Szobo------Jones
Bradley---Nunez---Jota

Yeah i would play Bradley on the right to cover Trent.
Have Diaz & Gakpo off the bench
Arsenal will comeon strong first 30 & target our right side

I'd had the same thought. Think Jurgen might go with it as well, like at the end of the Norwich game. Also considered having it switched with Trent on the right wing. But given the adaptability of all 3 right sided players, any of them could cover for the others at any time.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 1, 2024, 03:42:25 pm »
Well - Saka will be diving like mad as usual - so we need to watch that.

We should also pepper Raya's goal.

Finally - let's make sure we also disrupt their play early and often.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 1, 2024, 03:45:24 pm »
If anything, we're probably the in form team here. Arsenal will be confident but I think we will present a different challenge for them compared to the last time we played against each other.

The only issue I think is we need our midfield to be in top form. A little worried about Mac Allister's fitness for this one.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 1, 2024, 03:49:07 pm »
I'd be surprised if Robertson and Trent both don't start. Think Klopp still seems them as amongst his most trusted players like Van Dijk, Salah and Alisson and if they're fit to start they will. Draw is fine here for us, would be bad for them.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #49 on: February 1, 2024, 03:56:22 pm »
Wouldn't change the team personally. Before the Chelsea match, I would have taken a draw, but given the team performance last night, I want the 3 points now.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 1, 2024, 03:57:55 pm »
I'd pick the same team as yesterday but I have a feeling that Klopp will bring Trent in. 

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 1, 2024, 03:58:42 pm »
We owe these pretenders a hiding.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 1, 2024, 04:03:15 pm »
I'd pick the same team as yesterday but I have a feeling that Klopp will bring Trent in.

Not so sure. He took Bradley off pretty early last night. Reckon he’ll start him and have Trent on in the second half.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #53 on: February 1, 2024, 04:12:06 pm »
We still have to go to Villa away and (stop laughing) United away as well as Goodison (again stop laughing).

Old Trafford and Goodison will be a nightmare. 18/19 all over again with them wanting to stop us at all costs heading into the run in, while both rolling over for City. Two grounds we've rarely won at under Klopp.

They're the worst on paper for us along with City and Arsenal.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 1, 2024, 04:12:58 pm »
Not so sure. He took Bradley off pretty early last night. Reckon he’ll start him and have Trent on in the second half.

I think Bradley starts - but also he took him off so 1) he could get the huge ovation from the crowd and 2) trent needs minutes to get back to fitness.

Bradley really held Martinelli in check in the FA cup - and I think we will go for the same. Trent will play - but probably as a second half midfield substitute.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55 on: February 1, 2024, 04:16:25 pm »
Old Trafford and Goodison will be a nightmare. 18/19 all over again with them wanting to stop us at all costs heading into the run in, while both rolling over for City. Two grounds we've rarely won at under Klopp.

They're the worst on paper for us along with City and Arsenal.

Stop it you! You’ve got me thinking the likes of Brentford, Forest and Fulham won’t a be pushover now!

Let’s face it, all away games can be tough, but as things stand we have more away points than anyone (think we might have the same amount as City), and we’ve played a lot of the tough aways, so we should be ok.

Agree on the wider point that they’ll certainly put up more of a fight in the stands and probably the pitch than when City turn up.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #56 on: February 1, 2024, 04:28:53 pm »
Also hilarious how the new comfort blanket for opposing fans if we win the league is that this is all a conspiracy to give Klopp the title as part of a big send off. Good of the Premier League to know of Klopp’s plans before the Newcastle game, or which other game they fixed in our favour. The new Covid asterisk no doubt, but I’ll take it. :D

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #57 on: February 1, 2024, 04:31:37 pm »
Its both everton and united players (especially the blue noses), trying to hurt our players, after 25 minutes of being made a show of that would worry me most, to be honest.

Stop it you! You’ve got me thinking the likes of Brentford, Forest and Fulham won’t a be pushover now!

Let’s face it, all away games can be tough, but as things stand we have more away points than anyone (think we might have the same amount as City), and we’ve played a lot of the tough aways, so we should be ok.

Agree on the wider point that they’ll certainly put up more of a fight in the stands and probably the pitch than when City turn up.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: February 1, 2024, 04:44:21 pm »
I would go 
--Allison
---------Mac
--Szobo------Jones
Bradley---Nunez---Jota

I think that team is possible in terms of personnel but with Bradley right-back, Trent in midfield and Szoboszlai out wide. I reckon if Bradley starts (and he deserves to) it'll be at right-back.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 1, 2024, 04:51:51 pm »
If we win then we definitely are winning the league.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 1, 2024, 04:57:13 pm »

Probably our best performance of the season last night and makes sense.

Controversial opinion time, but at the moment given our form, are we better off at the moment without Salah and Arnold in the starting lineup?? Nothing against them or their performances, just don't want to upset the applecart while the going is good.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2024, 04:59:10 pm by mattD »

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #61 on: February 1, 2024, 05:13:15 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Poetic op thanks Yorky, really enjoyable read. After being at Anfield twice this week to see two expansive and dominant performances I will be watching this one from Mexico!
Think we will see something similar to last time at Arsenal with them coming at us early. We need to remain calm and push them back and start to dominate. For that reason I think Gakpo starts, not sure who instead of, maybe Diaz?
Would not be surprised if Nunez starts on the left. If Macca is not fully over his knock, replacing him may be Trent’s best chance to start. Gomez likely to start in the left to keep Saka quiet.
I hope Taylor does not fall for their diving. If he plays fair we win!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 1, 2024, 05:26:41 pm »
Bradley has played quite a few games in a row, I can see him being rested for Trent. Otherwise same team as Chelsea.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 1, 2024, 05:27:57 pm »
If we win then we definitely are winning the league.

I agree and this will be the 3rd time we are in a tight race with City, but the first time we are playing them at home in the run in.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 1, 2024, 05:29:38 pm »
Also hilarious how the new comfort blanket for opposing fans if we win the league is that this is all a conspiracy to give Klopp the title as part of a big send off. Good of the Premier League to know of Klopp’s plans before the Newcastle game, or which other game they fixed in our favour. The new Covid asterisk no doubt, but I’ll take it. :D

Well, we all know Tierney got the brief. Soon Dua Lipa will start dating Trent and showing up to games and we'll all know it's a conspiracy.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #65 on: February 1, 2024, 05:37:46 pm »
I'd be surprised if Robertson and Trent both don't start. Think Klopp still seems them as amongst his most trusted players like Van Dijk, Salah and Alisson and if they're fit to start they will. Draw is fine here for us, would be bad for them.

I'd be shocked if Robertson starts this after being out for 3-4 months and is likely not near to being game fit, especially for such a huge game.  Trent is different as he's just been out a few games and should still be game fit.  Robertson will likely come on as a sub and then see a start in one of our games after Arsenal.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 1, 2024, 05:39:06 pm »
Disagree that it's a bigger game for Arsenal than it is for us. For one, whenever City have had the title in their own hands head to head with us, they have never relinquished control. We thought draws were decent results at tough away grounds in 18/19 and normally they would've been, but up against City in the second half of the season you just can't give them encouragement. More than that, just the mental aspect of going there and winning would just be absolutely massive. We have kicked on big time since Christmas and we're producing sensational performances, the whole squad is up. If we keep that up and then go and win away at a title rival, we'll feel unstoppable.

It's massive for both teams, and both will want to win. I don't think draws are ever good results when trying to win titles with City lurking.

Also I reckon Gomez stays in but Trent starts. If anything, depending on Mac Allisters injury, perhaps Trent plays in midfield with Bradley at right back. But I don't see Trent not starting. Robbo will get his place back eventually but with Gomez in such good form I don't think this would be the place to swap them back over.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2024, 05:41:10 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #67 on: February 1, 2024, 05:48:28 pm »
I agree and this will be the 3rd time we are in a tight race with City, but the first time we are playing them at home in the run in.

10 years ago (2013-2014) we were also in a race against City and we played them at home in the reverse fixture and beat them.  As an aside, I just took a quick peak at the final table from that year and I had forgotten that Chelsea only finished 2 points back of us.  My recollection was that us and City had finished far in front of everyone else and that a very poor Chelsea team had managed to "Mourinho" us at home.

Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 1, 2024, 05:53:07 pm »
Same team that started last night.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #69 on: February 1, 2024, 05:55:14 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtfully written OP.

I think we do need to be wary of their set pieces, they clearly work on them and they will dive all over to get them.

It will be a completely different game to Chelsea, not that it should deter us from going in with confidence, but they are a team with structure and players who know how they fit in. I just happen to think they are man for man not as good as us.
The Bradley role is a dilemma, but a nice one to have, will be really interesting to see what Klopp does. I hope Gomez starts, as much as I love Robbo, I think he has Saka's number.

Given Darwin played a full 90 last night, anyone think he might be on the bench for this?

Another Manc ref, what a surprise. I have to say I was surprised by Tierney, in the ground I still thought he was tosser, but watching back he could have given them some soft pens and didnt. Maybe what goes around does come around?

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 1, 2024, 05:57:03 pm »
10 years ago (2013-2014) we were also in a race against City and we played them at home in the reverse fixture and beat them.  As an aside, I just took a quick peak at the final table from that year and I had forgotten that Chelsea only finished 2 points back of us.  My recollection was that us and City had finished far in front of everyone else and that a very poor Chelsea team had managed to "Mourinho" us at home.

Chelsea had a big lead at one point that year. Always annoyed me when people talk about us bottling it when they were miles ahead at one point. All we did was lose one game against a very good team and that was enough to take it out of our own hands. They were in poor form by the time they came to Anfield but obviously still a strong side.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: February 1, 2024, 06:15:00 pm »
Same team that started last night.

agree

trent and robbo back in the team when we play burnley at home

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: February 1, 2024, 06:19:33 pm »

It was a ‘poor’ Chelsea team that lined up against us. The vindictive twat rested his whole team for a CL Semi 2nd leg against Atletico that they went on to lose at home anyway!

But I think up to around the Easter weekend they were in as strong a position as us. They lost at home to Palace and I think lost/drew to someone like Sunderland around that time. He basically made a decision to chuck the league at that point to focus on Europe and fucked it anyway.

« Reply #73 on: February 1, 2024, 06:20:03 pm »
I would go

Alisson
Bradley Konate VVD Trent
Macca
Szobo Jones
Jota Nunez Diaz

I'd play Trent at LB and have him invert from there. Essentially he'll be taking similar positions as Gomez has been in the past few games and provide better quality in passing and shooting.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #74 on: February 1, 2024, 06:21:38 pm »
Bradley right wing please.

Bradley-Zinchenko mismatch must be taken advantage of.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 1, 2024, 06:24:02 pm »
I think Bradley starts - but also he took him off so 1) he could get the huge ovation from the crowd and 2) trent needs minutes to get back to fitness.

Bradley really held Martinelli in check in the FA cup - and I think we will go for the same. Trent will play - but probably as a second half midfield substitute.

Yeah, I'd prefer to see Bradley up against him.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline BigRedFeetBed

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: February 1, 2024, 06:27:16 pm »
Its a tough one as to who will start. I think Joe has earnt his place and i think it would be quite harsh to put Robbo back in as soon as he's available, although a good option off the bench around 60-65 minutes. He still needs to regain his match fitness properly.

I am also desperate for Joe to score..he has been one of, if not the player of the season so far. I am really chuffed for him..really chuffed, and although he had his doubters, he is repaying the faith shown to him. I am made up for the guy. I just hope he doesnt get the call from Southgate!

Bradley earnt his MOTM last night after his performance and he seems VERY comfortable anywhere on the right. He made easy work of Martinelli last time AND he's a bit of an unknown quantity to our rivals, however, how do you solve a conundrum when it comes to Trent who has also played very well?. Mac did take a knock last night and I can see him being benched for this one if there is even the slightest chance he is not 100% but again, an incredible option off the bench. This scenario may see Trent drop into midfield. A team with Bradley running the wing, Trent in the middle and Darwin on the left is scary as fuck..if you arent Liverpool.

I'd like to see this.

Allison

Bradley - Konate- VVD - Gomez

Boz        -         Jones
                    Trent

Diaz    -           -   Darwin
                    Jota

It would also be good to see a bench that has Thiago, Elliot, Grav, Quansah, Mac and Gakpo amongst our choices!

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
« Reply #77 on: February 1, 2024, 07:18:21 pm »
Think you're underselling them here, they're a very good team.  There was no rude awakening at Anfield and they finished the game stronger than us.

Wasnt the chance from Trent towards the end of the game when he hit the bar? Regardless of who was stronger towards the end, we should have won that game with that chance

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #78 on: February 1, 2024, 07:24:34 pm »
Just get the 3 points, pack up and come home.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #79 on: February 1, 2024, 07:25:58 pm »
I would go

Alisson
Bradley Konate VVD Trent
Macca
Szobo Jones
Jota Nunez Diaz

I'd play Trent at LB and have him invert from there. Essentially he'll be taking similar positions as Gomez has been in the past few games and provide better quality in passing and shooting.

Trent won’t play LB.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.