Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3307563 times)

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #11000 on: July 3, 2015, 12:41:05 pm »

I sometimes disagree with Neil but I could listen to him speak for ages, his rants are worth the subscription fee alone. In fact I struggle to find anyone I dislike, probably just the girl from the Rider as it's one of the only shows I don't listen to. Just don't find her particularly engaging but maybe that's because she doesn't like footie and beyond my niche music interests I'm not really into gigs, or Kanye West.

Well, she does, but she's a bluenose. So yeah, your point still stands!

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #11001 on: July 3, 2015, 01:38:39 pm »
Also I think some of the criticisms of Melissa's voice are just daft at best, and plain rude at worst.
I'd think our international fans might gravitate more to her non-Brit accent.
Kill the humourless

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11002 on: July 3, 2015, 01:56:32 pm »
Neil is just brilliant and extremely convincing in his arguments. (So far I think I agree with him on everything!)

I don't.

Be Here Now is fucking boss and I'm not having any other opinion on that. 
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #11003 on: July 3, 2015, 03:51:47 pm »
Minority of one, methinks.

youthinks wrong....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #11004 on: July 3, 2015, 04:18:56 pm »
Kill the humourless

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #11005 on: July 3, 2015, 06:40:01 pm »
Daniel Sturridge better than Torres at his best? I disagree.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #11006 on: July 3, 2015, 06:54:36 pm »
Daniel Sturridge better than Torres at his best? I disagree.

I can agree with this tho:

Daniel Sturridge has the potential to be better than Torres at his best. lol
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11007 on: July 3, 2015, 06:56:12 pm »
Might just be me but I don't have an issue with any of the voices. I enjoy Guttmans pieces. Sadly don't get to listen to everything that's out there.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11008 on: July 3, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »
Minority of one, methinks.

Neil is TAW. 

Andy and Gibbo are great partners because the 3 of 'em come across as best mates who know more collectively than anyone we know, but Neil is that brilliant weaver that elicits cogent points from his guests, yet still has his own strong opinions which are made without bombast or ego, which he has every right to display, but his Libpool background will not allow.

Speaks faster than the speed of sound.  Makes me wonder how fast his fucken brain moves!

Not a host, but a compere beyond compare.
I used to keep checking my iPod to see if it was playing at double speed.....

Does a great job though..

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11009 on: July 3, 2015, 07:07:58 pm »
Who cares about voices.

I don`t really mind anyone, but have my personal favourites and obviously Gutmann is on top of that list. And I like Mike Girling.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #11010 on: July 4, 2015, 09:10:54 am »
Do you really have to apologise for saying arse on live radio?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11011 on: July 4, 2015, 12:11:23 pm »
'And could he play' was boss. Just for the McAliister song at the end alone. First time I heard it and absolutely loved it.

Regarding Melissa, I think her voice is almost unbearable but what matters most is her views and I think she's spot on about most thing she has written on LFC.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11012 on: July 4, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »
Melissa Reddy's voice?

Genuinely think it's so subtle you may not know yourself, but you're probably intimidated by a woman who knows more about football that you and is more erudite than you, and are projecting it onto the accent. She's no Mariella Frostrup but there's been plenty of lads on with worse twangs and nothing's been said. She could do with reducing the name dropping a little though.

Casual podcast mysogyny for a fiver? You pays your money!

« Last Edit: July 4, 2015, 01:01:54 pm by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11013 on: July 4, 2015, 02:48:38 pm »
Melissa Reddy's voice?

Genuinely think it's so subtle you may not know yourself, but you're probably intimidated by a woman who knows more about football that you and is more erudite than you, and are projecting it onto the accent. She's no Mariella Frostrup but there's been plenty of lads on with worse twangs and nothing's been said. She could do with reducing the name dropping a little though.

Complete rubbish. I listen to football weekly, and Amy Lawrence is my favorite on there.

Reddy's voice is just irritating to some people. Nothing to do with her sex.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11014 on: July 4, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »

Also I think some of the criticisms of Melissa's voice are just daft at best, and plain rude at worst.

You know what's rude and far beyond that? An insulting, unsubstantiated, full of false accusations rant like the one below

Melissa Reddy's voice?

Utter fucking bullshit.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11015 on: July 4, 2015, 03:26:07 pm »
You know what's rude and far beyond that? An insulting, unsubstantiated, full of false accusations rant like the one below

I've spent at least 5 minutes on Freud's Wiki page, and have just bought a diploma from Ebay.

Class it as substantiated now.

On a side note, seriously, the 200+ pages of this thread are concerned with the opinions of the contributors, good and bad, and the quality of the podcasts - have you seen anywhere the number of posts about a contributor's voice? Their accent? She is stronger than many of the contributors, and nails new and thought provoking ideas - difficult when you see the 40 odd podcasts per month. Even the best of the other lads regurgitate their opinions across the shows - but what does she get? Comments like I skip her, can't listen to her shows. Haven't heard this before really.

I'm not ranting, by the way, it's my observation. Don't like it? Skip it, don't listen to me, ignore me. It's hardly a big deal.

« Last Edit: July 4, 2015, 03:32:25 pm by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #11016 on: July 4, 2015, 03:27:15 pm »
Melissa Reddy's voice?

What nonsense. If you actually read what people are saying, no-one is questioning Melissa's football knowledge, it's just the voice. Do you really think people still have those attitudes? Get back into your Ford Cortina and follow the signs marked '1975'.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11017 on: July 4, 2015, 03:36:37 pm »
What nonsense. If you actually read what people are saying, no-one is questioning Melissa's football knowledge, it's just the voice. Do you really think people still have those attitudes? Get back into your Ford Cortina and follow the signs marked '1975'.

I'm not derailing the thread anymore. I've put the burning bra into the mix, and I honestly couldn't care less what you think of my opinions. I'm probably right, to be honest - but if you think we live in a gender equal country, then you need to educate yourself.

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #11018 on: July 4, 2015, 03:43:55 pm »
Pointless poster. Read other people's posts, before droning on with your own agenda.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11019 on: July 4, 2015, 04:01:41 pm »

but what does she get? Comments like I skip her, can't listen to her shows. Haven't heard this before really.

Uh huh I see what you mean

Regarding Melissa, I think her voice is almost unbearable but what matters most is her views and I think she's spot on about most thing she has written on LFC.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11020 on: July 4, 2015, 09:37:41 pm »
You know what, sometimes its best to keep opinions to yourselves. Lets end this discussion about Melissa from now unless she says something outrageous that we need to debate - which is unlikely. ffs.

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11021 on: July 5, 2015, 02:05:20 am »
I know I'm in the very extreme minority on this one too, but I can't listen to Neil either. Too many monologues from him that seem to last for ages, with about 64 "I thinks" thrown in and 32 "This Idea".

Can understand this viewpoint. I used to idolise Neil but ever since he started listening to Joe Pepper he's become a right bore. What used to be eloquence, insight and subtle observation has become banging on about "goals" in a really reductionist way. He might be right, but it's become awfully dull to listen to.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11022 on: July 5, 2015, 04:31:56 am »

Can understand this viewpoint. I used to idolise Neil but ever since he started listening to Joe Pepper he's become a right bore. What used to be eloquence, insight and subtle observation has become banging on about "goals" in a really reductionist way. He might be right, but it's become awfully dull to listen to.

Yeah I still love Neil but the "just buy goals" over simplification has become a bit annoying. Look at Real Madrid at Anfield this season, absolutely played us off the park in midfield, even with Suarez that day we'd have got beat comfortably IMO.

The top heavy "OUTSCORE OPPONENTS GUNG HO" of the end of 2013/2014 doesn't really ever seem sustainable to me, especially when you face top teams and intelligent managers
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11023 on: July 5, 2015, 05:48:51 am »
Yeah I still love Neil but the "just buy goals" over simplification has become a bit annoying. Look at Real Madrid at Anfield this season, absolutely played us off the park in midfield, even with Suarez that day we'd have got beat comfortably IMO.

The top heavy "OUTSCORE OPPONENTS GUNG HO" of the end of 2013/2014 doesn't really ever seem sustainable to me, especially when you face top teams and intelligent managers

Yes, it is an oversimplification. I understand what Neil is saying, and he's right to say it, but 2013-14 is very unique in that we had Luis as top goalscorer and (I believe?) top assister (or very near the top). He was a maelstrom of a footballer all on his own: just pass him the ball and shit will happen. I do believe he covered up a lot of flaws in our midfield, as they didn't really have to create for him, and being merely "functional" was enough. We'll see problems in our midfield a few weeks into the season this year, though most are fine to gloss over this issue right now because we need a striker, first and foremost. But make no mistake, our midfield is average at best and without someone who can score and create for others up top - let's hope Firmino can be - our midfield won't get away with its clear lack of quality.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Ryde-On

• Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #11024 on: July 5, 2015, 06:10:41 am »
Fuck it. I'd pay to watch the team Neil's suggesting. Who cares if we lose 3-5, we'll win some 7-2...and that is entertainment! :-)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11025 on: July 5, 2015, 09:26:04 am »
That's not true mate, RM were able to play a ridiculous high line because Balloteli was so ineffective that night. There defenders could actually wander were they wanted and even leave him behind them because he did fuck all. If Suarez had been playing they wouldn't have had the run of the park & we'd have been more confident.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11026 on: July 5, 2015, 10:53:33 am »
The whole game and our players' performance had a sense of inevitability and surrender.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11027 on: July 5, 2015, 02:53:37 pm »
That's not true mate, RM were able to play a ridiculous high line because Balloteli was so ineffective that night. There defenders could actually wander were they wanted and even leave him behind them because he did fuck all. If Suarez had been playing they wouldn't have had the run of the park & we'd have been more confident.

Of course Luis would have helped but our midfield got absolutely wrecked that night. It was embarrassing. They tuckered themselves out with their crazy pressuring and then RM had the run of the park.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11028 on: July 5, 2015, 04:14:15 pm »

On this quickly, more than fine with people not liking my contributions - "you get a good review, you get a bad review but don't get suckered either way but none of them know you" - but this slightly misses the point. Probably my fault.

The argument isn't that midfields aren't important or that you don't need really good players in every position to compete at the very highest level. It's about allocation of resources when you want to compete at the very highest level in the league when you can be outspent on wages and fees at home and abroad and when everyone is at a higher starting base. It's about what this league is - 3 or 4 very good teams, 4 or 5 good teams, 4 average teams and 8 really quite poor ones. That bottom 12 need putting to the sword and first and foremost goals do that.

If we had City, Chelsea or United's resources then my argument would be quite different; I'd want to build a side capable of challenging on all fronts. Also, had we won league titles as recently as any of them then I'd be more generous about the idea of succeeding in Europe which is a different set of challenges. All I want is to win the league and while I don't think we will replicate 13/14 it does show a path, just as United of 08/09 shows a path in that they only dropped two points against the eventual bottom 13 all campaign.

Lastly, I think we are quite good in midfield. We have seven midfielders of genuine quality. It isn't Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko and Gerrard in quality but Milner, Henderson, Coutinho, Lallana, Can, Lucas and Allen are good and deep. Six of them played for Liverpool last season. What undermined us was our inability to put the bottom twelve to the sword.

Real Madrid is a fantastic example in a sense. We had tried to spread the resources all over the squad and so we couldn't compete anywhere. And because we were so blunt in the boxes of the bottom twelve we don't get to have another go at improving that until at least 2016.

There is a further conversation to be had about whether what you need to do to do the business domestically in this league at any level of resources and what you need to do the business in Europe. One I want to have in the next couple of days.

Everything I say is about winning the league. Not trying to come fourth. Not trying to win any trophy. All I want to do is see Liverpool win the league. More than happy to listen to any better ideas, but "only buy really good players" doesn't really cut it for me. No one has perfect transfers. So overbuy up front for now, over allocate those resources and mitigate for the inevitable failure.

Offline wordroam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11029 on: July 5, 2015, 05:35:24 pm »
On this quickly, more than fine with people not liking my contributions - "you get a good review, you get a bad review but don't get suckered either way but none of them know you" - but this slightly misses the point. Probably my fault.

The argument isn't that midfields aren't important or that you don't need really good players in every position to compete at the very highest level. It's about allocation of resources when you want to compete at the very highest level in the league when you can be outspent on wages and fees at home and abroad and when everyone is at a higher starting base. It's about what this league is - 3 or 4 very good teams, 4 or 5 good teams, 4 average teams and 8 really quite poor ones. That bottom 12 need putting to the sword and first and foremost goals do that.

If we had City, Chelsea or United's resources then my argument would be quite different; I'd want to build a side capable of challenging on all fronts. Also, had we won league titles as recently as any of them then I'd be more generous about the idea of succeeding in Europe which is a different set of challenges. All I want is to win the league and while I don't think we will replicate 13/14 it does show a path, just as United of 08/09 shows a path in that they only dropped two points against the eventual bottom 13 all campaign.

Lastly, I think we are quite good in midfield. We have seven midfielders of genuine quality. It isn't Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko and Gerrard in quality but Milner, Henderson, Coutinho, Lallana, Can, Lucas and Allen are good and deep. Six of them played for Liverpool last season. What undermined us was our inability to put the bottom twelve to the sword.

Real Madrid is a fantastic example in a sense. We had tried to spread the resources all over the squad and so we couldn't compete anywhere. And because we were so blunt in the boxes of the bottom twelve we don't get to have another go at improving that until at least 2016.

There is a further conversation to be had about whether what you need to do to do the business domestically in this league at any level of resources and what you need to do the business in Europe. One I want to have in the next couple of days.

Everything I say is about winning the league. Not trying to come fourth. Not trying to win any trophy. All I want to do is see Liverpool win the league. More than happy to listen to any better ideas, but "only buy really good players" doesn't really cut it for me. No one has perfect transfers. So overbuy up front for now, over allocate those resources and mitigate for the inevitable failure.

Actually I think you're trying too hard on this argument.

We lost arguably the two best strikers in the league and didn't replace. We did the more pedestrian side of the job required (yes we really did need to) which was thickening out the squad behind them with a load of new players to bed in. Oh look, we came 7th.

Apart from that - as noted above, going for goals is just a helluva load of fun. Lets do it again !

Offline Timbo0151

• @Timbo0151
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
« Reply #11030 on: July 6, 2015, 10:46:52 pm »
Finally got round to sorting my phone out and installed Podcast Addict, then subscribed. Fucking superb stuff.

Andy Heaton's; "Fuuuuck Off!!" (talking about the lad trying to blag to some bird that the Wirral is in Liverpool) is the fucking funniest thing I've heard in years. That alone was worth the subscription fee.

Lovely stuff.
SOS member 1295
@timbo0151

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11031 on: July 6, 2015, 11:01:27 pm »
Andy Heaton is one of my favourites.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #11032 on: July 6, 2015, 11:05:17 pm »
Melissa Reddy's South African accent is boss
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11033 on: July 6, 2015, 11:26:52 pm »
Andy Heaton's; "Fuuuuck Off!!" (talking about the lad trying to blag to some bird that the Wirral is in Liverpool) is the fucking funniest thing I've heard in years. That alone was worth the subscription fee.

Lovely stuff.
I thought it was Gareth Roberts?

Offline Timbo0151

• @Timbo0151
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
« Reply #11034 on: July 6, 2015, 11:38:43 pm »
I thought it was Gareth Roberts?
Fuuuuuck Off!! It was Heaton  ;)

NEIL ATKINSON hosts Paul Senior, Andy Heaton, Adam Smith and Chris Maguire as they plough through another week of questions and get into kits and tennis. Kits and tennis….
SOS member 1295
@timbo0151

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #11035 on: July 7, 2015, 03:06:59 am »
It was Heaton doing an impression of Gareth Roberts.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11036 on: July 7, 2015, 06:00:34 am »
Bumped into Heaton at Bolton away.

Not sure he was impressed with me, but I stole a beer from the side and went back in ;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #11037 on: July 7, 2015, 12:05:36 pm »
Just caught up with the Parry pod; very good. Thought he was nervous early on but then came across well.

The Dani Alves transfer was an interesting one; did Liverpool end up buying two players for £17m then?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11038 on: July 7, 2015, 12:11:48 pm »
Just caught up with the Parry pod; very good. Thought he was nervous early on but then came across well.

The Dani Alves transfer was an interesting one; did Liverpool end up buying two players for £17m then?

From memory Dirk was the main 'either/or' that we went for ahead of Alves. We signed him late in August. In that same window we'd already bought a few attacking players (Bellamy/Gonzalez/Leto I think) but they were all done and dusted quite early I think.

Offline Jish

• Kemlynite
  • absence makes the heart grow fungus
« Reply #11039 on: July 7, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »
I like the podcast but the amount of silly Americanisms creeping in is a huge turn off for me. The following two examples are by far the worst and seem to be used more and more

Gametime (horrendous, and I await someone saying Pitchtime before long)
Offseason (it's preseason and always has been)

I agree about Melissa Reddy's voice too. Monotonous.

Finally, and I forget who it was, someone was calling Alex Ferguson "Fergie" in a recent podcast. Unforgivable. Almost as unforgivable as the popular notion that Manchester United are commonly known as "United" as if they are the only team with that as part of their name. Modern football, eh!