Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3307494 times)

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #10920 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:07 pm »
Excellent interview with Rick Parry. Great stuff.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10921 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »
Parry interview is fascinating. Feel like it could've gone on twice as long and still be interesting.

What did he have to say if it can be summed up succinctly?

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #10922 on: June 26, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »
What did he have to say if it can be summed up succinctly?

He said he can't believe that for just £5 a month with so much to offer, TSC doesnt have a subscription yet.

(I should get a free month for adverts like that)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #10923 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
I've just subscribed to the thingie. I was having a look around the website and it seems like we can listen to all the podcasts - pay and free - right on there. Is that right? The podcast part of my iTunes is a bit dodgy.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #10924 on: June 26, 2015, 06:11:03 pm »
listening to the Parry podcast

You guys are doing very important work

Christ, listening to the inside word on all the stuff that was driving us insane and crazy just a few years ago

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10925 on: June 26, 2015, 07:09:07 pm »
Amazing work with that Parry interview boys. Really impressive. Would love if you could do a follow up with a q/a section.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10926 on: June 26, 2015, 07:46:41 pm »
listening to the Parry podcast

You guys are doing very important work

Christ, listening to the inside word on all the stuff that was driving us insane and crazy just a few years ago

Yeah, a fascinating listen. For anyone writing a history of the club in the PL era, that would be gold.

Amazing how close the DIC deal came. Parry seemed disconcerted at the time about how they were dragging their feet when he would have expected them to be more efficient in getting the deal done. According to this article...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/we-nearly-bought-liverpool-for-360m-reveals-former-dic-boss-562364.html

"What delayed us (DIC) is because everyone knew Sameer was a lifelong fan of Liverpool, including His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. So we did three times the amount of due diligence as I had to prove the business sense and there were very few clubs frankly where you can make a business sense.”

That Robert Kraft story was interesting too. Great show all round.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10927 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:18 pm »
Is their an option to pay the £60 up front instead of paying a fiver a month like?

Would rather just have it paid for straight away than pay monthly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10928 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »
Tried it on 5 different days. Keeps saying "You cannot complete this action on the card you have selected. Please select another card."

Which is really weird since I used the same card and made a donation to RAWK through Paypal, and it had no issues then. That's the only other thing I've used Paypal for. Am I doing something wrong?

Unless Any confirms there's a problem with certain cards then you must be mate. I don't know the answer .....and you've gone 'n missed the Parry interview!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10929 on: June 26, 2015, 08:30:13 pm »
I echo everything everyone has said about the Parry interview, it was quite compulsive listening. Kudos to TAW again for delivering something fantastic and in particular for dispelling the "what are we paying for in the summer" theory.

There's just one thing about the interview that left a gap for me created by the understandable eagerness to ask questions - Parry & Moores where talking to Gillet alone next thing they're arranging the take over press conference with Hicks on board - there was no explanation about how Hicks got drawn in.

To say it was all completely fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable would be an understatement. Excellent stuff.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10930 on: June 26, 2015, 08:52:45 pm »
This week's AFQ did a sterling job of refuting the "middle class TAW" shouts.

Hit the beach and have yourselves a nice game of Kubb, everyone! 

David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #10931 on: June 26, 2015, 09:05:42 pm »
This week's AFQ did a sterling job of refuting the "middle class TAW" shouts.
What 'middle class TAW' shouts?  Anyway, wasn't it recorded at Glastonbury?  It's hardly live from the Jarrow Crusade.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #10932 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:10 am »
reminder of admiration due to Rafael Benitez holding the club together during that period of turmoil listening to that Parry interview

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #10933 on: June 27, 2015, 10:14:30 am »
And how he says `this idea` in every single sentence.

' i.e.'
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #10934 on: June 27, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »
The Parry interview was arguably the most compelling thing TAW have done. Credit to Parry for giving the interview - a useful exercise for him to get his story out there to fans. It's his version of events which he's entitled to.

Highlights:
- Hicks attitude from the start was alarming
- DIC being awkward and Moores not budging
- Gerrard's u-turn
- The Barry fiasco
- Kraft pulling out

The questioning was intelligent and timely - mostly just let Parry talk.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10935 on: June 27, 2015, 12:57:46 pm »
The Parry interview was arguably the most compelling thing TAW have done. Credit to Parry for giving the interview - a useful exercise for him to get his story out there to fans. It's his version of events which he's entitled to.

Highlights:
- Gerrard's u-turn
- The Barry fiasco
- Kraft pulling out

Also the implied managerial brilliance of Rafa.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #10936 on: June 27, 2015, 01:27:12 pm »
I felt myself doing a U turn on my opinion of Parry as he explained stuff. If we can accept what he said on face value, we as a fan base painted him wrong.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #10937 on: June 27, 2015, 02:46:19 pm »

Highlights:
- Gerrard's u-turn
- The Barry fiasco
- Kraft pulling out

Also, the decision to not sign Dani Alves because €12m was deemed to expensive in relation to the budget and other business Benitez wanted to do. Sounds crazy today - especially since we know how much Barca paid two years later. But as Parry more or less says in the interview, it's pointless to judge these types of decisions now several years later.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #10938 on: June 27, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
I felt myself doing a U turn on my opinion of Parry as he explained stuff. If we can accept what he said on face value, we as a fan base painted him wrong.

I'm sure the £3M golden handshake helped to ease his pain....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #10939 on: June 27, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »
Very interesting. Very, very interesting. And Parry sounds like a decent guy to be fair.

Offline Steele_uk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10940 on: June 27, 2015, 07:59:15 pm »
If you subscribe, do you get access to the previous month? Would quite like to hear the parry and the Journo interviews.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10941 on: June 27, 2015, 08:13:26 pm »
If you subscribe, do you get access to the previous month? Would quite like to hear the parry and the Journo interviews.

Yes, it's all archived.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #10942 on: June 27, 2015, 08:13:42 pm »

Yeah, all previous shows accessible.
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10943 on: June 27, 2015, 09:36:53 pm »
Is their an option to pay the £60 up front instead of paying a fiver a month like?

Anyone?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #10944 on: June 27, 2015, 09:41:06 pm »
As I recall there deliberately isn't that option, basically because they're taking a flier without knowing for sure that it's going to be sustainable.  Signs are good I gather, but quite rightly they won't allow people to pay a year upfront for something that might not last.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10945 on: June 27, 2015, 09:50:23 pm »
As I recall there deliberately isn't that option, basically because they're taking a flier without knowing for sure that it's going to be sustainable.  Signs are good I gather, but quite rightly they won't allow people to pay a year upfront for something that might not last.

Fair enough, hopefully in the future they could have 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and a years option.

Seems to be doing really well.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10946 on: June 27, 2015, 10:02:49 pm »
What 'middle class TAW' shouts?  Anyway, wasn't it recorded at Glastonbury?  It's hardly live from the Jarrow Crusade.

Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at them IN ANY WAY.  I love TAW and most of its participants.  Just thought AFQ was funny after reading that tweet convo.  :)

And by the way, Glasto at £200 a ticket (£565 in total spent per person on average for a long weekend) is hardly working class.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10947 on: June 27, 2015, 10:16:44 pm »

Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at them IN ANY WAY.  I love TAW and most of its participants.  Just thought AFQ was funny after reading that tweet convo.  :)

And by the way, Glasto at £200 a ticket (£565 in total spent per person on average for a long weekend) is hardly working class.

Half of Liverpool is in Glasto!!!!
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #10948 on: June 27, 2015, 10:28:04 pm »
TAW is often pretty erudite and cerebral in comparison to much of the football parlance we are subjected to across the media. Not sure that should tie it to a social class; it simply means it's leaving other outlets in their wake - the ones that are fuelled by speculation, sensational headlines and froth. 

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10949 on: June 28, 2015, 02:53:10 pm »
I don't get all this nonsense about TAW being 'middle class', whatever that it these days. Seems like a ridiculous criticism to me.

Online JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10950 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:36 pm »
Anybody who thinks the fact that Neil and the lads are actually engaging with football on a level above grunt-grunt-regurgitate-Sky-soundbite-bullshit means they can be dumbed down as "middle class" is fundamentally betraying the concept of an educated working class and needs to read some Gramsci.

Engaging with football the way TAW does, for me, fundamentally takes the middle class hegemony of Sky Sports and exposes it as the click bait drivel it is - and, for me, that should be what an educated working class should be doing.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:33:25 pm by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #10951 on: June 28, 2015, 03:33:32 pm »
Anybody who thinks the fact that Neil and the lads are actually engaging with football on a level above grunt-grunt-regurgitate-Sky-soundbite-bullshit means they can be dumbed down as "middle class" is fundamentally betraying the concept of an educated working class and needs to read some Gramsci.

Engaging with football the way TAW does, for me, fundamentally takes the middle class hegemony of Sky and The Sun and exposes it as the click bait drivel it is - and, for me, that should be what an educated working class should be doing.

Good lad. You don't post nearly enough
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #10952 on: June 28, 2015, 03:36:55 pm »

Likewise, anybody know?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10953 on: June 28, 2015, 03:45:29 pm »
Likewise, anybody know?

Not yet mate, possibly/likely in the future, relatively soon

Simple reason we don't now is because we didn't want to take people's money and then fold after a few months.

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10954 on: June 28, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »

Engaging with football the way TAW does, for me, fundamentally takes the middle class hegemony of Sky Sports and exposes it as the click bait drivel it is - and, for me, that should be what an educated working class should be doing.

Very well put.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10955 on: June 29, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »
Not yet mate, possibly/likely in the future, relatively soon

Simple reason we don't now is because we didn't want to take people's money and then fold after a few months.
Glad to hear it's likely, because I assume we can infer from that that the subscription model has been successful enough to mean the survival of TAW is assured long enough for a yearly subscription to be viable to offer? If so then very glad to hear that as the level and amount of content has been fantastic.

The one small bit of feedback I have is that on some shows, particularly ones where there are guests on the phone, the sound levels can sometimes seem a bit unbalanced - anyone in the studio will sound much louder than those on the phone, for example the Honigstein Firmino interview (which was great by the way, more of those whenever possible please). It's possible this is just the speakers / headphones I was listening on though and not the audio itself.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10956 on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:15 pm »
Glad to hear it's likely, because I assume we can infer from that that the subscription model has been successful enough to mean the survival of TAW is assured long enough for a yearly subscription to be viable to offer? If so then very glad to hear that as the level and amount of content has been fantastic.

The one small bit of feedback I have is that on some shows, particularly ones where there are guests on the phone, the sound levels can sometimes seem a bit unbalanced - anyone in the studio will sound much louder than those on the phone, for example the Honigstein Firmino interview (which was great by the way, more of those whenever possible please). It's possible this is just the speakers / headphones I was listening on though and not the audio itself.

No mate, you're absolutely spot on in regards to the phone issue.

It frustrates the life out of me as the production is my bag but its not something I can get involved in as its not our ADSL line and I don't control the technical aspects of anything done in the studio we use for phone interviews.

Unfortunately, at the moment, it is what it is but without going into too much detail, we'll have a solution to this fairly soon(ish).

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10957 on: June 29, 2015, 03:24:03 pm »
I finally had a chance to listen to the Parry interview.  Fascinating stuff.  I actually began to feel for him a little bit, prior to that I'd always bought into the idea that he was a clown.  Likewise, since '07 when I first read in the papers about the prospect of DIC buying the club, I had the idea in my head that had they bought us then, it would have seen us sailing off into the stratosphere, Man City style, but assuming what Parry said was close to the truth, it sounds as though they really fucked about, and that they wouldn't have been the dream owners I imagined them to be.  It's always good to hear a different perspective.

I had feared that TAW Player might prove to be too much of a good thing, but the shows seem to be going from strength to strength.

As for the 'middle class' shout, that's about the last thing that springs to my mind about the Wrap crowd.  It's funny that being called 'middle class' is regarded as such an insult anyway.  I couldn't really care less if Neil grew up in a leafy suburb or if Rob Gutmann went to Eton, as long as the shows provide the insights they do right now.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10958 on: June 29, 2015, 03:39:02 pm »
I finally had a chance to listen to the Parry interview.  Fascinating stuff.  I actually began to feel for him a little bit, prior to that I'd always bought into the idea that he was a clown.

I know what you mean. He sounds disconcertingly like an older Michael Owen though which was hard to shake off.

Hard to imagine how it must have felt to go from being probably quite a close little working unit to having Hicks and Gillett and their respective entourages suddenly calling the shots.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #10959 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:00 pm »
Really enjoying the 95/96 shows in terms of the approach they have taken. Unlike the recent seasons where a lot of focus has been given to details of the games, players and managerial tactics these shows have been broader in their scope. They have offered more analysis around the changing nature of football in this era and how it was intrinsically linked to cultural influences of the early to mid-90s.  By presenting the shows in this way they're not so much analysing the football of a particular season but rather they are offering an historical evaluation of why Liverpool find themselves in 2015 without a trophy in 25 years; pulling together the reasons why United pulled away from us in the early Sky era - the reality of which stings a little.

That's not to say the football chat is redundant (there's some great stuf on the likes of Fowler and Macca), it's just that the reality of talking about 20 year old football matches is a bit less interesting than offering broader analysis that the modern day listener can hang their hat on.

Great work.