Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 230019 times)

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #5080 on: Yesterday at 02:53:01 pm »
That's champions league done.

Target met. 

We’ve been so wobbly recently it made me look over my shoulder at Villa and Spurs unfortunately, and become grateful for 3rd place.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5081 on: Yesterday at 02:53:27 pm »
Why is this thread still even here? Should be renamed to getting top 4 finish.

Because some of us haven't thrown in the towel

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #5082 on: Yesterday at 04:57:36 pm »

I think we all knew by the Palace game.

I did tell someone at the time if we freezed the table after that game and then showed it to us back in August we'd have got very excited. Level on points at the top, 6 games left, with only GD separating us. Problem was living in the now we could see the constant struggles in every game. Wide open midfield defensively, disjointed, inability to grind out wins. Every game was going to be a rollercoaster, and you dont win leagues that way.

I think had Jurgen stayed one more season he'd have finally got the required 6, the midfield would have been up and running (plus the 8s would be fully accustomed to the team), the team would have looked more complete and would have functioned more like a Klopp team.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: Yesterday at 06:08:27 pm »

It's time to throw in the towel.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5084 on: Yesterday at 06:12:26 pm »

I did tell someone at the time if we freezed the table after that game and then showed it to us back in August we'd have got very excited. Level on points at the top, 6 games left, with only GD separating us. Problem was living in the now we could see the constant struggles in every game. Wide open midfield defensively, disjointed, inability to grind out wins. Every game was going to be a rollercoaster, and you dont win leagues that way.

I think had Jurgen stayed one more season he'd have finally got the required 6, the midfield would have been up and running (plus the 8s would be fully accustomed to the team), the team would have looked more complete and would have functioned more like a Klopp team.

All hindsight talk. Our strikers have let us down at the clutch time of the year. That’s the long and short of it. It’s ok to admit the truth - we let an amazing position turn to crap after all the hard work earlier in the year.

If we learn from the experience then it can be the making of us in future years.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5085 on: Yesterday at 06:16:52 pm »

If we won every game after Palace at best we'd have lost it on goal difference to Arsenal. No way Everton or United would have done us a favour.

Everyone knew we'd fucked it that day.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #5086 on: Yesterday at 07:12:57 pm »
If we won every game after Palace at best we'd have lost it on goal difference to Arsenal. No way Everton or United would have done us a favour.

Everyone knew we'd fucked it that day.

Absoutely. As gutted as I was though after the Palace game I did think it's a position we would have taken in August. We didn't know what to expect back then, and it's been quite a freakish season in many respects. The Spurs debacle, all those comebacks (the Newcastle game where we had been pummeled for 75), conceding 6 in two games against a gash United at OT, dominating possession but looking vulnerable in every game (bar maybe 5 where we weren't on the edge of our seat), it's been wild.

Putting aside the fact the 6 isnt good enough, we started the season with a completely new midfield (in addition to Jones). As Andy Brassell said on a podcast its unheard of for a top side to do that in one transfer window. So in that context the season has been a massive success. Circa 80 points and a Cup. The shitty thing is Jurgen is leaving, when it was next season, with one obvious upgrade, that would have been the one where were would have looked much more the part. It's one season too soon from Jurgen in that regard (also in regard to the avaibility of Alonso). It's a pity for him that he couldn't complete his next era team and reap the rewards from it, the hope is Slot is the one who will.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:16:19 pm by KC7 »

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5087 on: Yesterday at 07:58:27 pm »
Not trying to be some smart arse but I knew after the Brighton game and then United. We were hanging on and clawing games back and looked spent. The other two were scoring for fun. I wasn’t even surprised or annoyed by Palace. The writing was on the wall once they both overtook us and it was pretty obvious we weren’t going to win all of our games even then.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5088 on: Yesterday at 08:07:00 pm »
Not trying to be some smart arse but I knew after the Brighton game and then United. We were hanging on and clawing games back and looked spent. The other two were scoring for fun. I wasn’t even surprised or annoyed by Palace. The writing was on the wall once they both overtook us and it was pretty obvious we weren’t going to win all of our games even then.

I thought we were ok against Brighton but that doesnt look anything convincing in retrospect. Its against Sheffield United we didnt look great. Basically we have become poor in both boxes like last season.

Ultimately we cant complain, we are the third best side. Thats fine for now.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5089 on: Yesterday at 08:07:06 pm »
Fuck this season really. Another nail in the coffin of football. Cheats winning again. Utter horror show with referees. Mountain of injuries.

That period where we played the kids was the best.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5090 on: Yesterday at 08:13:21 pm »
Ultimately we cant complain, we are the third best side. Thats fine for now.
Second or third makes no odds as I never expected us to win the PL. Making the Europa League Final in Dublin however... *sigh*
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5091 on: Yesterday at 08:14:51 pm »
Honestly if I was given at the statrt of the season that we would Win a Cup and qualify for the CL I would have taken it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5092 on: Yesterday at 08:20:42 pm »
Honestly if I was given at the statrt of the season that we would Win a Cup and in doing so, automatically qualify for the CL I would have taken it.
Just that one tweak for me  :(
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5093 on: Yesterday at 08:32:15 pm »
Just that one tweak for me  :(

Yeah maybe ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5094 on: Today at 08:01:32 am »

Looks like the team have.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5095 on: Today at 08:53:20 am »
Palace was both at the time and in hindsight the final nail in our league season. I think you can also look at the FA Cup exit, in hindsight, as some sort of turning point in our form. Its weird because I for one wasn't as bothered at the time but it looks like it did get to the players in some way.

Another thing that is becoming apparent is that City/Arsenal aren't dropping anywhere near the amount of points people were predicting in this thread with 8-9 games left.

Arsenal just came through their worst week of the season unscathed and with Bournemouth, United and Everton left look very likely to win their last 3.

City are doing the thing that we have not been able to do it feels a single time all season - score early, control a game, and get a second goal early enough to then relax for the final quarter of a game. It feels like win or lose we had to go helter-skelter every single match of the season.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5096 on: Today at 08:59:48 am »
All hindsight talk. Our strikers have let us down at the clutch time of the year. That’s the long and short of it. It’s ok to admit the truth - we let an amazing position turn to crap after all the hard work earlier in the year.

If we learn from the experience then it can be the making of us in future years.

We’ve underperformed in both boxes. We’ve been conceding for fun recently. And we’ve consistently gone behind all season.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5097 on: Today at 09:39:32 am »

Who knew that our performance at Man Utd in the league would actually be the high point of the run-in. By comparison we played brilliantly that day bar the usual shite finishing.

Can't wait for the season to end. I'm hoping with Edwards back in the club, we'll be able to bring in a few new players that suit our system (or whatever it will be). Despite the great efforts of Endo it's clear we still need a 6. Take Rodri or Rice out of our rivals and they would be nowhere near where they are.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5098 on: Today at 09:41:05 am »
Who is the inbred cheating c*nt that is match-fixing our game on Sunday - anyone know?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5099 on: Today at 10:27:07 am »
Palace was both at the time and in hindsight the final nail in our league season. I think you can also look at the FA Cup exit, in hindsight, as some sort of turning point in our form. Its weird because I for one wasn't as bothered at the time but it looks like it did get to the players in some way.

Another thing that is becoming apparent is that City/Arsenal aren't dropping anywhere near the amount of points people were predicting in this thread with 8-9 games left.

Arsenal just came through their worst week of the season unscathed and with Bournemouth, United and Everton left look very likely to win their last 3.

City are doing the thing that we have not been able to do it feels a single time all season - score early, control a game, and get a second goal early enough to then relax for the final quarter of a game. It feels like win or lose we had to go helter-skelter every single match of the season.

I don't really understand how one cup game can influence the rest of your season unless your players have really poor mentalities but ours proved they don't by coming back from a goal down so many times or by winning tough games near the end of the game.

For me, there's more to it than just losing that game. We've exited cups before and still looked good in the remaining league games.

I agree that anyone saying City will lose games in their run in is mainly optimism. They just don't lose game when they are in position to win the title and they couldn't have hand picked their run in any better than they've got it.

I knew Arsenal would slip up and they did to Villa (thought it might be the Spurs game).

Both teams will win out from here.

If we had won all ours we'd have finished 2nd still IMO. I just don't think winning our games affects City. They are a machine and only have their slips early on in seasons mainly where they have more than enough time to come back.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."