Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474060 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #41520 on: January 19, 2016, 11:47:36 am »
Went along to The Revenant last night, besides one of my arse cheeks going numb from sitting in a cinema seat for two and three quarter hours, another draw back is, I'm not really buying how any man could sustain a battering like that. For the most part I did enjoy it, no doubt it looks great.

I can't see why DiCaprio deserves an Oscar for basically wincing and going 'arrrrrrgghhh' for two hours. I Preferred Tom Hardy's performance if I'm honest, I don't mind how he speaks, the man has a license to mumble he's good.   

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41521 on: January 19, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »
I can't see why DiCaprio deserves an Oscar for basically wincing and going 'arrrrrrgghhh' for two hours. I Preferred Tom Hardy's performance if I'm honest, I don't mind how he speaks, the man has a license to mumble he's good.

Tom Hardy chewed the scenery up like a combine harvester..luckily enough it acts as a good counterpoint to De Caprio's more understated but fantastic performance....acting isn't just about shouting (if it was Leo would have won the Oscar for Wolf Of Wall Street)...the best film and the best performance of 2014 was Robert Redford in All Is Lost...a film with no dialogue whatsoever....pure cinema....much like The Revenant
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41522 on: January 19, 2016, 12:48:54 pm »
Chi-Raq..20 mins into this Springtime For Hitler'esque turd from Spike Lee I was thinking this couldn't possibly get any worse....then John Cusack appeared.. <click>
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #41523 on: January 19, 2016, 01:01:13 pm »

Tom Hardy chewed the scenery up like a combine harvester..luckily enough it acts as a good counterpoint to De Caprio's more understated but fantastic performance....acting isn't just about shouting (if it was Leo would have won the Oscar for Wolf Of Wall Street)...the best film and the best performance of 2014 was Robert Redford in All Is Lost...a film with no dialogue whatsoever....pure cinema....much like The Revenant
Yeah, fair enough, just thought it was a good performance really. The man deserves an Oscar and it wouldn't be scandal if he got it for this.

The movie did look fantastic, two of the last films I saw at the cinema were done using natural light, this one and Sicario. It's a fad that I'm just latching onto or maybe it's not a fad and people have been at it for ages. I didnt really see the benifits with Sicario, but I thought that was rubbish so that maybe clouded my judgement.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #41524 on: January 19, 2016, 01:07:04 pm »
The movie did look fantastic, two of the last films I saw at the cinema were done using natural light, this one and Sicario. It's a fad that I'm just latching onto or maybe it's not a fad and people have been at it for ages. I didnt really see the benifits with Sicario, but I thought that was rubbish so that maybe clouded my judgement.
One of the most celebrated aspects of The Revenant is its use of only natural light, giving the entire film an eerie, twilight feel. DiCaprio said that achieving that effect was not easy, however, and put everybody working on the movie under incredible strain.

"We wanted to shoot the entire film in natural light so we had this hour and a half window, this 'golden hour' at the end of the day, he said. "That to a kind of fanaticism, this immense tension because we rehearsed all day long but every day we needed to accomplish that shot in an hour and a half," he added
Must have been a pain in the tits only shooting for a couple of hours a day...and dam fucking expensive too!

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #41525 on: January 19, 2016, 03:07:55 pm »
Just back from watching Creed and I enjoyed it... was a decent cinema flick and not a bad entry into the Rocky saga.
It is what it is really... I'm sure it wont win awards and it's not particularly believable and some of the acting and dialogue is terrible, but if you like Rocky films, you'll probably enjoy it.

Wanted to see The Revenant but going Thursday instead.

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41526 on: January 19, 2016, 05:16:34 pm »
It's not a bad film this Mr Nice.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #41527 on: January 19, 2016, 06:40:31 pm »
The Godfather-A Novel for Television 1977 720p HDTV x264-BATV

This is on IPT. I've never seen this version, it's the first 2 Godfather films edited together in chronological order as a TV mini series. I've read about it before and always wanted to watch it, there's some violence taken out, but extra scenes put in (I think most of the extra scenes are available on the DVD boxset I have, I'm not 100% sure though). Anyone watched this version? Is it worth it? I love the Godfather films, even the third one has some good bits.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41528 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
Just watched World of Tomorrow the animated short by Don Hertzfeldt.
It was pretty good and as usual,  very funny, sad and perceptive and probably spot on as to where we will be as a species and Society in one or two hundred years.
Only 16 minutes long but worth a watch for sure.

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41529 on: January 19, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »
Just watched World of Tomorrow the animated short by Don Hertzfeldt.
It was pretty good and as usual,  very funny, sad and perceptive and probably spot on as to where we will be as a species and Society in one or two hundred years.
Only 16 minutes long but worth a watch for sure.
This was the best short animated film I've seen this year and also one of the best films ...just brilliant....really good sci-fi film. I even payed to watch it back in March. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41530 on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »
This was the best short animated film I've seen this year and also one of the best films ...just brilliant....really good sci-fi film. I even payed to watch it back in March. ;D

Yeah just caught it on Netflix US and really liked it,..simple yet beautifully complex roo, thought provoking
I watched it's such a beautiful day a while back too and absolutely loved it.

And you paid to watch it? You must have been keen mate...  :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:45:08 pm by johnsmithlfc »

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41531 on: January 19, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »

Yeah just caught it on Netflix US and really liked it,..simple yet beautifully complex roo, thought provoking
I watched it's such a beautiful day a while back too and absolutely loved it.

And you paid to watch it? You must have been keen mate...  :P
That was why I mentioned having paid for it.  ;D  I don't mind paying for independent films...I have an account on Vimeo just for that reason.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #41532 on: January 19, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »
Did you enjoy Mr Nice Dave?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41533 on: January 19, 2016, 10:02:20 pm »
Did you enjoy Mr Nice Dave?
Howard Marks?  I don't really dig films like that. I know people like him...and it's not a cool world, contrary to what people might think.

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #41534 on: January 19, 2016, 10:07:25 pm »
Howard Marks?  I don't really dig films like that. I know people like him...and it's not a cool world, contrary to what people might think.

Yes Howard Marks, I enjoy true films.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41535 on: January 19, 2016, 10:51:39 pm »
Revenant was great, enjoyed it more than I thought I would

Some of my favourite scenes and acting performances have had little to no lines, can't agree with the no Oscar on that basis. Had a part to play and played it perfectly, could've easily been a lot less a believable performance. Hardy was great too.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41536 on: January 19, 2016, 11:20:29 pm »
There's a documentary about him where he admits to taking a small amount of drugs through customs every time he travels just for the buzz....fucking bellend!

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #41537 on: January 19, 2016, 11:26:04 pm »
really looking forward to seeing the Revenant
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41538 on: January 19, 2016, 11:29:16 pm »
I watched a Studio Ghibli film over Christmas as I was flicking through channels and found it playing on Film 4 called 'The Cat Returns' it was a charming story about a girl who rescues a cat and so gets taken to a cat kingdom. Very witty and funny and draws you into its 'Alice in Cat Wonderland' world. Has that studio ever made a film that isn't wonderful?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #41539 on: January 19, 2016, 11:34:49 pm »

People with ties to IRA, FBI, Interpol, Mafia and MI5?
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41540 on: January 19, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »
I watched a Studio Ghibli film over Christmas as I was flicking through channels and found it playing on Film 4 called 'The Cat Returns' it was a charming story about a girl who rescues a cat and so gets taken to a cat kingdom. Very witty and funny and draws you into its 'Alice in Cat Wonderland' world. Has that studio ever made a film that isn't wonderful?
No :wave

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #41541 on: January 19, 2016, 11:46:57 pm »
Chi-Raq..20 mins into this Springtime For Hitler'esque turd from Spike Lee I was thinking this couldn't possibly get any worse....then John Cusack appeared.. <click>
I thought it was alright. Not great, not shit. Solid meh. Teyonah Parris was probably the best thing about the film. I have a love/hate thing with Spike. Gets some of things right, other times I'm scratching my head.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #41542 on: January 20, 2016, 01:44:48 am »

There are definitely some less wonderful ones.

I'm thinking Tales from Earthsea. Others were less than impressed by the likes of Ocean Waves and From Up on Poppy Hill, but I thoroughly enjoyed both.

I thought it was alright. Not great, not shit. Solid meh. Teyonah Parris was probably the best thing about the film. I have a love/hate thing with Spike. Gets some of things right, other times I'm scratching my head.

Haven't seen it yet, but it's been pretty popular with the critics. Made a lot of end of year lists.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:47:27 am by Redcap »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41543 on: January 20, 2016, 06:06:36 am »
Looks fun.

Oh and nice ass.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CmRih_VtVAs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CmRih_VtVAs</a>
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:36:11 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline matlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #41544 on: January 20, 2016, 12:37:58 pm »
Any idea when we will be getting a decent copy of Star Wars or hunger games?
They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41545 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:55 pm »
Suicide Squad looks freaking amazing. Looks like it has a real edge to it that distinguishes it from Marvel movies. The idea of a Dirty Dozen of super villains on missions is brilliant.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41546 on: January 20, 2016, 04:55:33 pm »
Amongst other up's. Everywhere.

Macbeth 2015 HC 1080p HDRip X264 AC3-EVO

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41547 on: January 20, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »
Watched Sicario last week and loved it, so tense and kept my interest all the way through.

Del Toro and Brolin were both fantastic.

Edit: Just checked and they have commissioned a sequel centering on Del Toro's character. Boss!

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #41548 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:48 pm »
Watched Sicario last week and loved it, so tense and kept my interest all the way through.

Del Toro and Brolin were both fantastic.

Edit: Just checked and they have commissioned a sequel centering on Del Toro's character. Boss!
I think the problem with Sicario was it was trying too hard to reinforce how fucked up the situation in Mexico is. I had just finished watching Narcos and the brilliant documentary Cartel which I highly recommend so I was well up to speed of what was happening. I was expecting more of the same with Sicario, so it fell well short in terms of impact for me. Admittedly it got off to a flyer!

Didnt warm to the characters at all either, why was the FBI chic shitting her knickers all the time when she had spent a few years blowing up bad guys on the Mexican border? That made no sense.

In fairness the movie probably suffered from my high expectation, it also brought to an my little drug cartel fascination which included a few more documentaries along with Narcos.   

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41549 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:19 pm »
I think the problem with Sicario was it was trying too hard to reinforce how fucked up the situation in Mexico is. I had just finished watching Narcos and the brilliant documentary Cartel which I highly recommend so I was well up to speed of what was happening. I was expecting more of the same with Sicario, so it fell well short in terms of impact for me. Admittedly it got off to a flyer!

Didnt warm to the characters at all either, why was the FBI chic shitting her knickers all the time when she had spent a few years blowing up bad guys on the Mexican border? That made no sense.

In fairness the movie probably suffered from my high expectation, it also brought to an my little drug cartel fascination which included a few more documentaries along with Narcos.

I must watch Narcos and Cartel as I'm also fascinated by the drug cartels!

I agree about Emily Blunt shitting her knickers all the time and I actually didn't think her performance was anything special despite all the praise she had received for it.

However, I suspect she was shitting her knickers all the time because she had just been randomly chosen to join a rogue team who also lied to her about the location they are heading and didn't have a clue what the hell was going on!

Didn't you think Del Toro's character was a badass though? I thought he was one cold motherfucker!  8)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41550 on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:47 pm »

this is brilliant. One of the best movie Shakespeare's I've ever seen

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41551 on: January 21, 2016, 03:25:10 am »

It's worth seeing for the cinematography alone, breathtaking at times. The DP is the same guy who shot the first season of true detective.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41552 on: January 21, 2016, 04:29:14 am »
Suicide Squad looks freaking amazing. Looks like it has a real edge to it that distinguishes it from Marvel movies. The idea of a Dirty Dozen of super villains on missions is brilliant.
The fact that it's DC ;) ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #41553 on: January 21, 2016, 10:30:22 am »
Going to watch Escobar soon.

Is it a decent film?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #41554 on: January 21, 2016, 04:44:35 pm »
Going to see 'Room' tonight with the missus.

Never even seen the trailer and I honestly don't know what its about, just heard its good.

Will I be disappointed?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #41555 on: January 21, 2016, 04:49:18 pm »

Never even seen the trailer and I honestly don't know what its about, just heard its good.

Will I be disappointed?

Nope. It's great. I'd recommend not reading anything about it or seeing the trailer.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #41556 on: January 21, 2016, 04:50:57 pm »
Nope. It's great. I'd recommend not reading anything about it or seeing the trailer.
Cheers mate.

Just checking to see if I was in for trouble or not. Should be good so.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #41557 on: January 21, 2016, 04:53:50 pm »
Didn't you think Del Toro's character was a badass though? I thought he was one cold motherfucker!  8)
That was one saving grace, cold as ice. Just how you want your baddies.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41558 on: January 21, 2016, 04:56:50 pm »
Just back from seeing The Revenant and it was incredible.
One of the most stunning and immersive movie experiences I've had... just a sumptuous film.
It's brutal and bloody and bleak for sure but it is so beautifully shot and so incredible that it honestly didn't bother me.
Those critics that were saying it's "Pain Porn" are completely neglecting the pure beauty of the film visually... it could be playing on a loop in a gallery - it's stunning. Not a wasted shot IMHO.

I don't know if you could say it's an enjoyable experience but it's certainly not a bad, sad or awful one.... it's just bleak I suppose.

But yeah... I feel bad for anyone who watched the crappy DVD Screeners of this and didn't hold out for the cinema.... just incredible.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41559 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:24 pm »

Will I be disappointed?

Great film, take a hanky