Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474339 times)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2006, 03:52:33 pm »
I watched "Irréversible" and "La Fleur Du Mal" last night, back to back.

While Irréversible is a good movie, Gaspard Noé seems to be obsessed with sex.  And what's up with hispanic transvestites (in France) - I have noticed Almodovar also has a fascination? My spanish is not good enough to tell whether they were from Spain or from South America. And is the rapist homosexual, bisexual, or just sick?

As for Claude Chabrol, he has clearly lost the plot now and should take a break.  La Fleur Du Mal was a pile of shite that made me cringe.  This from a  guy who had previously made 49 films already!

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2006, 03:55:30 pm »
I can recommend "A Very Long Engagement" and "5 x 2", two French films, both  very very good :)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2006, 04:11:13 pm »
As for Claude Chabrol, he has clearly lost the plot now and should take a break.  La Fleur Du Mal was a pile of shite that made me cringe.  This from a  guy who had previously made 49 films already!

Absolutely. It was gash. Incidentally, the lovely Audrey Tautou is on telly this weekend in Dirty Pretty Things, which I shall look forward to as I haven't seen it before.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2006, 04:38:30 pm »
Absolutely. It was gash. Incidentally, the lovely Audrey Tautou is on telly this weekend in Dirty Pretty Things, which I shall look forward to as I haven't seen it before.

It's decent enough- not bowel-shatteringly good, but worth a couple of hours of your time.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2006, 06:22:40 pm »
watched final destination 3 the other night,

has anybody watched it? what did you make of the ending, dunno what happened, did they die or not  ???

:wave :wave :wave

Same as the others really, good entertainment and cheesy as hell. The ending did leave it open for a FD4, I'm guessing the little sister will live and be the next one with the visions...
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2006, 08:28:36 am »
Finally got round to watching 'Sideways' last night. Fucking well funny!

Enjoyed it that much I may watch it again tonight if I get the chance.  :D

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2006, 08:51:23 am »
Good film isnt it.

It's a strange one in that it's quite deep but also has its funny moments. When he chased him down the fairway swinging the club like a mad man i laughed my arse off.  ;D

Anyone read the book, i think i might have a hunt and finally bury my head for a bit.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2006, 12:15:18 pm »
I sort of watched "Final Destination 3" at the weekend. I say sort of, because it was so bad that we walked out of the cinema after half a hour. Avoid!!!!!

....we then wandered into the screen next door and caught the 2nd half of "Slevin". Was very entertaining. Reminded me of Lock Stock and The Usual Suspects.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2006, 01:15:15 pm »
Watched "Dear Wendy" yesterday. Very strange film  ???
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2006, 01:01:27 pm »
Finally got round to seeing Identity last night. A nice idea although it a bit by-the-numbers in places, but no less watchable because of it.

Really have got a backlog to wade through, starting with Donnie Darko and Platoon hopefully sometime this week (I do love films but seem to have glaring omissions in my viewing history, and yet I've seen Under Seige 2. Berk)

Also really looking forward to the previously mentioned Hostel, as well as Slither and the Hills Have Eyes Remake. Horror films look to have got really nasty once again after one too many insipid additions to the genre.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2006, 02:03:54 pm »
Watched one of my favourites the other night. Dinner Rush. Has anyone from here it? Absolutely no one I have ever spoken to had even heard of it. A film critic from Channel 5 news picked it out a few years ago and I remembered it. Great little unpretentious entertaining film. Set in an Italian restaurent in New York. Defo worth a watch and picking up on DVD for about a fiver.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:01:28 pm by wilo in rome »

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2006, 02:32:31 pm »
Watched one of my favourites the other night

Me too. I watched All The Presidents Men
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: March 2, 2006, 11:13:36 pm »
Haven't heard much about this film, in fact the trailer is a bit cliched, but it could still turn out to be a spooky little addition to the modern horror canon: Stay Alive

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #293 on: March 2, 2006, 11:32:20 pm »
Saw The Woodsman tonight. Kevin Bacon is a very underrated actor, ashamed to say only realised this tonight.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #294 on: March 2, 2006, 11:37:34 pm »
Saw The Woodsman tonight. Kevin Bacon is a very underrated actor, ashamed to say only realised this tonight.

Only took me 7 steps to reach that conclusion.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 2, 2006, 11:40:48 pm »

Kevin Bacon is excellent in Murder in the First too if you've not seen that. Is The Woodsman worth a watch then? It got generally good reviews but I never got round to seeing it at the cinema.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #296 on: March 2, 2006, 11:54:18 pm »
Kevin Bacon is excellent in Murder in the First too if you've not seen that. Is The Woodsman worth a watch then? It got generally good reviews but I never got round to seeing it at the cinema.

I'd like to see it again since I'm pretty knackered, but it handled a sensitive subject with a light touch and credits the audience with enough intelligence to make up its own mind.

Only took me 7 steps to reach that conclusion.

You got there by degrees, then?

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #297 on: March 3, 2006, 07:22:52 pm »
Having watched "La Pianiste" a couple of months ago, I thought I'd pick up Haneke's "Le Temps du Loup" before I get to watch "Caché".

I admit to give up watching after about 65 minutes.  It was too glum, dark, call it what you want.  It also verged on the dour/boring.  I just couldn't watch it.  I hope the world never comes to that.

(PS The same idea is explored in novels like "Earth Abides" and from a different angle in "La Peste")
« Last Edit: March 4, 2006, 04:15:54 pm by Vinay »

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #298 on: March 4, 2006, 01:51:17 pm »

He was excellent in that and a very good film which i think sort of got itself swept under the carpet a touch given the subject. Well worth a watch for anyone thinking about it.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 5, 2006, 09:26:17 pm »
Just watched PRIMER and am extremely confused. Enjoyed it, sort of understand it but don't ask me to explain it in any way at all. Quite short at 74mins but for a $7000 budget is superb.

Anyone else seen it?
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 5, 2006, 11:49:09 pm »
Just watched PRIMER and am extremely confused. Enjoyed it, sort of understand it but don't ask me to explain it in any way at all. Quite short at 74mins but for a $7000 budget is superb.

Anyone else seen it?

Heard of it but haven't got around to seeing it yet. Will look out for a copy.

Slightly less keen on seeing Hostel now having watched Cabin Fever this weekend. Absolutely dire, a real shambles, even if it was made with old-school, B-movie gorefest in mind.
Also watched The Rules of Attraction, which was dull. Need a good movie to clean the palette!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #301 on: March 7, 2006, 09:02:58 am »
The Proposition begins with a bang: a bloody shoot-out that dispatches Noah Taylor to an early grave almost as soon as you recognise him. This is an Australian western, backed by the UK's Film Council, written by rock singer Nick Cave, and directed by John Hillcoat (with whom Cave collaborated nearly two decades ago on the cult prison movie Ghosts… of the Civil Dead).

English army Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone) puts the proposition to Irish bushranger Charlie Burns (Guy Pearce): if he wants to save his younger brother from execution, he must bring in his notorious older sibling, the crazed Arthur (Danny Huston). Either way, there will be betrayal and blood on his hands.

At first you think this is a hackneyed romantic outlaw vs sadistic sheriff set-up. The western in its original form may celebrate the pioneering endeavours of white men in the wilderness, but at least since the 1960s that faith in progress has been sullied and overlaid with a melancholy yearning for a natural paradise, pure and unpolluted. In The Proposition the outback is hardly an accommodating Eden: the film is full of stark sunstroke, hard rocks, fetid flies.

Cave and Hillcoat subtly modulate our sympathies. When Stanley says he wants to civilise this god-forsaken land, he really means it. There’s nobility and even love in his quest: he knows he has married above his station and wants to make this place worthy of his bride (Emily Watson). This relationship actually becomes the heart of the movie – unusual in a western – and the mirror image of the sibling ties between the Burns boys. But Stanley is no hero either, and the forces he represents are themselves violent, racist and exploitive. Winstone's subdued performance suggests he knows he’s defeated well before the end plays out, a bloody, brutal showdown on Christmas day.

There’s another grand performance from Danny Huston too. Arthur is a feral psychopath, a ‘dog man’ to the aboriginals. But there’s a touch of genius in his madness. We’re never quite sure how much he knows or what he’ll do next, but there’s no doubt he’s capable of anything.
http://www.lovefilm.com/static.php?tpl=the-proposition

....................................................................................................................................................................

Unsurprisingly, I can't wait for this one.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #302 on: March 8, 2006, 11:02:26 am »
Buying a few in the next month.

in true Oscars month style a few on the wish list

For Your Consideration

Good Night and good Luck
Grizzly Man
Primer
Serenity
Capote
Murderball
Hoop Dreams
Fog of War
American Gothic (TV Series)
Herzog Kinsky Collection
All about my mother
R-Point
Porco Rosso
Howls moving castle
Princess Mononoko (sp?)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #303 on: March 8, 2006, 11:03:54 am »
Oh by the way RAWK's resident and original film and dvd critic is back!!!!

I have internet again and will be passing on my judgement to it's fullest.

TIME TO TAKE BACK MY THREAD

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #304 on: March 8, 2006, 11:17:13 am »
The two films i am desperate to see this year so far.

Not your Supermans (all though going to be class) not your Xmens (again class) none of those, even though 2006 is going to be a cracking year for film.

These are the two films that i am desperate to see :-

A Scanner Darkly
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405296/

&

Dnevnoy dozor (Night Watch 2)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409904/

Obviously there will be others once these have been and gone, and i will still be keeping my eye out for the independant and foriegn gems.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2006, 11:19:54 am by Bradigor Biscan -81- »

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 8, 2006, 12:29:36 pm »

All about my mother

:thumbup brilliant film. Original version with subtitles?

I want a copy of that too, and I want to see La Mala Educación (think that's right, I thought it was a French film called La Mauvaise Education until Saturday afternoon ;D ) too - in fact any Almodovár will do.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #306 on: March 8, 2006, 12:36:47 pm »
Watched Serenity on DVD...what a fucking boss film!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #307 on: March 9, 2006, 08:19:19 am »
:thumbup brilliant film. Original version with subtitles?

Elli Elli Elli, please is there any other way to watch a foriegn language film. I once tried to watch a film, dubbed. Never ever ever again.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 9, 2006, 09:46:47 am »
Elli Elli Elli, please is there any other way to watch a foriegn language film. I once tried to watch a film, dubbed. Never ever ever again.

I agree that most foreign films have to be watched with subtitles, but kung-fu movies are a whole heap funnier when dubbed!

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #309 on: March 9, 2006, 09:55:50 am »

agreed, have got ju on dubbed, and didn't enjoy it. could've just been the film though
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: March 9, 2006, 04:07:57 pm »

Just checking, sorry to have offended :-X ;D

(French TV drives me mad, they just dub American/British programmes. Friends is fucking awful I'm not surprised people riot over here)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #311 on: March 9, 2006, 06:59:55 pm »
Just checking, sorry to have offended :-X ;D

I am hurt and i am not talking to you again. Well until i get my Bordeaux top ;D

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 9, 2006, 07:05:37 pm »
I am hurt and i am not talking to you again. Well until i get my Bordeaux top ;D

;D

Might be worth having a word to Saph about that actually. Anyway, this has a lot to do with films...

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: March 9, 2006, 08:27:11 pm »
Watched Serenity on DVD...what a fucking boss film!

;D if by fucking boss you mean Matrix-esque first two minutes followed by Red Dwarf trying to be a less well scripted, serious (or do I mean credible) sci-fi film, then yeah I agree 100%... And then there's the aspects of Dune and 28 Days Later... Oh and Lord of the Rings, with the random unnecessary other language. Good fun though.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #314 on: March 9, 2006, 09:51:29 pm »
;D if by fucking boss you mean Matrix-esque first two minutes followed by Red Dwarf trying to be a less well scripted, serious (or do I mean credible) sci-fi film, then yeah I agree 100%... And then there's the aspects of Dune and 28 Days Later... Oh and Lord of the Rings, with the random unnecessary other language. Good fun though.

ok let me refraise that..Fucking entertining film!!!..especially watched in the afternoon with a glass of wine whilst off work !!!

actually if your going to see  influences..then I suggest you skip all those Sci Fi references and go straight to the core influence of this film and a helluva lot of Sci fi films..the Western!!!...Good v Bad...frontier land...the rough selfish gang of desperado's that turn out to be goodies in the end?..I mean it just screamed post American Civil War!! ;D

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 9, 2006, 10:24:57 pm »
Yeah fair enough, I did get slightly carried away there. Still hilarious though, especially the Year 7 Drama style impressions of actually being in a vehicle, consisting of one person counting quietly and everyone leaning left or right at the same time with an appropriately pained expression on their faces ;D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2006, 08:19:50 am »
;D if by fucking boss you mean Matrix-esque first two minutes followed by Red Dwarf trying to be a less well scripted

Yeah fair enough, I did get slightly carried away there. Still hilarious though, especially the Year 7 Drama style impressions of actually being in a vehicle, consisting of one person counting quietly and everyone leaning left or right at the same time with an appropriately pained expression on their faces ;D

Back to reality anyone ;D

Series 5 of Red Dwarf i think

Offline jarg of pickled onions

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2006, 11:07:31 am »
Anybody heard owt of 'Inside Man' with Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster and Clive Owen?

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:21 pm »
Watched "Das Boot" for the first time this morning. Intense film worthy of the hype

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #319 on: March 12, 2006, 08:53:26 pm »
Back to reality anyone ;D

Series 5 of Red Dwarf i think

Indeed it is. ;D
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...